Community Forum

On Demand pixilating, skipping, cutting out

Frequent Visitor

On Demand pixilating, skipping, cutting out

For the past few weeks, our On Demand has become unwatchable. The picture breaks up, blacks out, pixilates and the sound cuts out. Regular channels are just fine.

I was wondering if this was something that I might be able to fix or if a service call would be necessary. I've checked all connections and they are tight. Is there anything else that I can look at that might cause this?

Thanks for your input. 

Problem Solver

Re: On Demand pixilating, skipping, cutting out

Try rebooting the box.  If that doesn't work try removing any splitters and run the cable directly from the outlet to the box.  If the problem continues you may need an on-site visit.

Regular Visitor

Hello,

We have a similar issue, except it is not confined to On Demand - it affects a variety of regular & premium channels. As if the signal is breaking up, picture fragments, pixellates, sound drops out, sometimes the video goes black, sometimes the "This channel will be available shortly..." error message.

This problem began (over a month ago) fairly subtly, with just noticeable drop-outs/glitches, but has grown steadily worse. Now every night there are several channels that are simply not received, many others not watchable. It's as if Comcast simply isn't getting a signal to our digital cable box. (we also have phone & internet with you - some phone problems, now fixed, internet seems OK)

I have checked cable connections (nothing has changed since started Comcast service several years ago), re-booted the digital cable box - no change. Do we need to have a service visit?

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions. 

Gold Problem Solver

This sounds like a weak signal. To check signal strength with a Motorola box, turn off the box with the
remote, then within two seconds hit "OK/Select." This will bring up the diagnostics screen. Select "Inband Status" (probably page d04) and look for "SNR" for the tuner(s). This value should be in the mid to upper 30s. You may be able to improve the signal strength by adding a signal amplifier to the incoming cable line.
Frequent Visitor

Margisan, I ended up calling Comcast. The gentleman I spoke to said he forwarded a couple of updates to my box and now, all is well. I was surprised and quite pleased that he was able to fix this without the need for a technician comming to my home.
Regular Visitor

Thanks to Wareagle & Shessar for the suggestions. I will check them out. (although I do wonder - if the problem is weak signal strength, shouldn't that be Comcast's responsibility to fix?)

Will post results when we get some.

Gold Problem Solver

Margisan wrote:

...if the problem is weak signal strength, shouldn't that be Comcast's responsibility to fix?

Yes, unless it's due to some problem with your interior wiring.  It would be good to check that out before having Comcast send someone out, so as to save yourself from being charged for a problem that you could fix.

Regular Visitor

WarEagle57 wrote:

This sounds like a weak signal. To check signal strength with a Motorola box, turn off the box with the
remote, then within two seconds hit "OK/Select." This will bring up the diagnostics screen. Select "Inband Status" (probably page d04) and look for "SNR" for the tuner(s). This value should be in the mid to upper 30s. 

Thanks for this. OK, our Motorola box gets an SNR wavering between 29 & 30. Phone call to Comcast - finally got through - and the upshot is they will send someone out to check box & cable. Will find out what's next in a couple days...

Gold Problem Solver

Margisan wrote:

...OK, our Motorola box gets an SNR wavering between 29 & 30.

That's pretty low.