Community Forum

On Demand and Certain Channels Verry Choppy like watching a scratched DVD

New Poster

On Demand and Certain Channels Verry Choppy like watching a scratched DVD

I've been having a connection problem with my HDTV down in the basement.  The TV upstairs works fine.  Besides having a poor connection it sounds like it's skipping and the image is distorted on certain channels and lately I can't watch On Demand.  I tried swapping out the cable box but it looks like the same thing is happening.  Also some channels are just blank nothing.....Need to resolve

Thanks

Gold Problem Solver

Re: On Demand and Certain Channels Verry Choppy like watching a scratched DVD

This sounds like a weak signal, which can affect only certain channels. Check the connections to the cable box, especially the incoming coax, and eliminate any unnecessary splitters.  Since your other TV is fine, you probably need to check the wiring that goes to the basement.

To check signal strength with a Motorola box, turn off the box with the remote, then within two seconds hit "OK/Select." This will bring up the diagnostics screen. Select "Inband Status" (probably page d04) and look for "SNR" for the tuner(s). This value should be in the mid to upper 30s. You may be able to improve the signal strength by adding a signal amplifier to the incoming cable line.
Contributor

I live in the Philly Burbs:

Ok after reading this old topic I think I have this problem.. Last year I got a Motorola HD converter box for my HDTV.. I know Comcast this year moved channels to the 130's and stuff like NICK JR (Ch 132) ..  I've been noticing like the 1st poster mentioned alot of these channels are bieng distorted and it's driving me CRAZY!.. For a week i've been shutting off my cable box when I go to sleep (11pm) and then turn it on at 8am and then within 30 minutes the channels start distorting.. At first it was the 130 channels but now its also the low channels.. The 2nd poster metioned about doing the check for the Inband Status and mine  fluxuates from 35.0 to 35.9 it seems.. Don't know if this is good or bad.. I'm using the HDMI cable that comcast provided last year.. Is there any solution to these distorted channels?? I don't feel like driving 45min to my comcast office to swap boxes to find out it does it again.. ANY HELP or NEW ideas I'll listen too.. Am I the only one having these problems?? Thanks!

P.s. - It's odd that my problems started when they did updates from removing old channells from basic cable and moving them to higher numbers so you needed a digital box to get them.. Got even worse when they did a DVR upgrade change last month or so.. UGH!..

Gold Problem Solver

Describe the "distortion".

Contributor

The "distortion" is exactly what the 1st post says in this thread.. It's like trying to watch a dvd movie but choppy..

The picture seems to try and move but it moves at normal sometimes but then chops up like skipping..

It's freaking ridicoulous.

New Poster

2014 called, and it's still going on. Amazing

Official Employee

iMickey503 wrote:

2014 called, and it's still going on. Amazing

It's still going on because these are local issues - usually down to the household or neighborhood level in most all cases. 

Pixelation and audio-video dropout issues are almost always related to local or individual signal or connection issues. The issue can occur on a single channel or multiple channels due to the frequency or frequency range that the channel is delivered on. Changes in temperatures can also aggravate the issue.

Check to be sure that all of your cable connections are snug.

Box swaps, box refreshes and multiple box refreshes may not resolve this issue if there is an underlying local signal issue. 

Give us a call at 1-800-COMCAST and we can start the troubleshooting process and get this resolved. Insist on a technician visit so that the signal levels can be reviewed and adjusted if necessary. There is no charge if the issue is determined to be with our equipment or originating outside your home.

Thanks for your patience.

Locking this thread. If you have an issue, please review the above, start a new thread or call us at 1-800-COMCAST.