Community Forum

Non-X1 box not working

Frequent Visitor

Non-X1 box not working

We received a new TV box model MO-SD. We connected it according to directions, set it to the right channel, activated it and nothing is working after a week. Our account says we have X1 service but this box connects through cables not HDMI. Contacted support and they said we need to pay extra for HD! What! No one told us. We have a 4k TV. Anyway, we can’t even get it to work in SD. When I use the “troubleshoot” option, it says it can’t do a system refresh because our main TV box is offline. We thought maybe our cable wall port is bad but we even tried it with the port we use for internet and nothing. Ideas? 
Official Employee

Re: X1 box not working

I’m a tech and I’ve never heard of an MO SD, is there a different model number or post a pic.
If you’re using cable, is your tv physically on Ch3

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Here are photos of it. Yes, it’s on channel 3.

6F2EB973-8712-4484-AE7D-7DC024873373.jpeg07A06B4A-7ADB-4B06-92E9-F96919E48037.jpeg84FD4A1B-CF12-4B4D-AD85-A6C09E4891FB.jpeg

Official Employee

That’s a RNG150, do you see any onscreen message?

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for letting us know the correct model number. The screen is blue and says, “One moment please. This channel should be available shortly. Ref code: S0a00.”

Official Employee

That means it’s not getting a signal. Stupid question but have you got the cables on the back in the right input?

Frequent Visitor

We thought so. When you look at the photo of the back of the machine, the cable on the left is going to the wall outlet and the middle cable is going to the TV. 

Official Employee

It’s going to be either
-a bad box
- since you’ve tried it on the outlet that your cable modem is on, too, it’s possible there’s a filter outside keeping the box from getting the proper signal to activate. Depending on how long you’ve been internet only, way back there used to be filters in place to keep out access to cable channels, they’re not in use anymore.

Frequent Visitor

Could be filters since we haven’t had cable tv in years. Does that require a paid service call? What should be our next step? 

Expert

You need either an RGN150N (HD cable-box) and your account set up for HD service, or an X1 series box. My Cisco RNG150N box does have one HDMI output to connect to a HDMI port on your television. If you were to use a coaxial cable with television set to channel 3 (or 4 in some cases) you will only get SD channels (no HD).

Your pictures did not appear. I suspect you have on RNG version of cable-box for only old analog or standard digital (SD) televisions with a 4:3 screen (not widescreen). These boxes do not have any HDMI output.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Could be a service call fee, I’ve escalated to a colleague that can check on that and possibly schedule it for you

Frequent Visitor

This box does have one hdmi port. We tried to connect through it but were told we need to add HD service. So you’re saying we probably won’t even be able to get SD on this box through our TV? We tried it on two different sets; one was an older 1080p set but still no picture.

Official Employee

Respectfully, the other commentor didn’t read the whole thread and can’t see the picture posted. You can’t do anything until it gets activated and determine that you have a good signal. The way the box is set up now you will only get SD, if you end up paying for HD and hook it up with HDMI you’ll still see the same message that you posted before. You’ll need that tech

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your help. We only took the box to save a bit on our bill through a promo offer. If we have to pay for a tech that will negate the savings. It seems if the issue is on Comcast’s end it would not be charged to the customer., but maybe I’m dreaming of a bygone era Smiley Happy We will just let it sit till the promo is over and send it back. Meanwhile, we will use streaming apps. 

Expert

@ScotDude wrote:

Thanks for your help. We only took the box to save a bit on our bill through a promo offer. If we have to pay for a tech that will negate the savings. It seems if the issue is on Comcast’s end it would not be charged to the customer., but maybe I’m dreaming of a bygone era Smiley Happy We will just let it sit till the promo is over and send it back. Meanwhile, we will use streaming apps. 

If you did indeed get a X1 cable-box (capable of Xfinity services), you would most likely have to replace your old coaxial cable inside your home with RG6u, quad-shielded coaxial cable. That includes the cable (inside wall) or if you are lucky is it running inside along floor board to the location outside where the trunk cable is connected. If you can see any of that cable it should be marked each foot with the type cable used.

The box would have an HDMI output for a high-speed HDMI cable to be connected to your new 4K "smart" television. You would need to follow the instructions found in your television manual under setup to make sure the television "source" is correct for HDMI port 1, and the HDMI cable is connected to HDMI port 1.  The X1 boxes need a much stronger signal than the old cable-boxes.

If you have not yet set up service for HD channels, the cable-box should work for lower channels which are SD (numbered between 2 and 200). Change the channel with cable-box remote. At this point if you cannot get the cable-box to be unplugged for a couple minutes. Plug it back in and wait about 5 to 10 minutes, turn the television with source on correct HDMI port. You should see a screen on your television with phone number, and/or instructions for activating the box.

If not you will need to get a Comcast tech. out to install your service as Comcast Andrew stated.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Mntundraret
From post #5 in the thread, this is a legacy box error code

Thanks for letting us know the correct model number. The screen is blue and says, “One moment please. This channel should be available shortly. Ref code: S0a00.”

Also the OP has tried the cable that is feeding his current working modem and still not working.

Official Employee

I can certainly check this for you from here if you would like. To protect the privacy of your account, can you provide your full name exactly as it's listed on the billing statement? To send a private message click on my name, then click "Send a message".