Community Forum

Noisy RNG200N DVR; Anyone know how to silence it?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Noisy RNG200N DVR; Anyone know how to silence it?

Has anyone found a way to quiet the constant disk noise from the RNG200N HD DVR?  I have had three of these boxes and ALL of them are very noisy.  No, it is not a fan noise; it makes as much noise as a 15-year old floppy disk drive.

Comcast says that it is normal.  No, disk drives in PCs are not anywhere nearly this noisy.  Plus, the DVR is on my desk, about 3 feet from where I sit, so it is very noticeable.

The only time the DVR is quiet is when it is powered off.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Noisy RNG200N DVR; Anyone know how to silence it?

It is not normal. The DVR should be silent. Swap it for a quiet one.

Frequent Visitor

I have replaced it twice - all three have noisy disk drives.  Comcast is sending me another one to try.  The technician who was out to check out another problem (Comcast "bricked" HDMI to my TV and claims its my TV, even though TV plays HDMI out from DVD player just fine) said, "Well, DVR disk drives are noisy."  When I asked why my other Comcast DVR isn't noisy (different, older model), he just shrugged.

Silver Problem Solver

The techs don't know what to say. Any hard drive, be it a computer or a DVR should be silent.

Making a noise loud enough to hear more than a few inches away is a sign of a defective drive.

I have 3 DVR'S, and dozens of computers, all silent.

Frequent Visitor

That sound is normally the death march of an older hard drive. You will need to replace the box. I had a hard drive go out on me and it stopped the whole box from working. Some of the newer boxes have ssd drives that are much more durable.
Frequent Visitor

Cable box is hanging, stuttering

Installed 4th RNG200N DVR last night - at least this one doesn't have a loud disk drive, but now the picture is stuttering and is very slow to respond to the remote control.

Frequent Visitor

I had Comcast ship me a new one (now the 4th RNG box in 3 months.)  This one is quiet, but 24 hours after activation, it is flaky - pixellated picture, barely-responsive remote, slow to reply to keys when it does respond.

Getting very, very old!

Diamond Problem Solver

The Comcast team available to the forum has been notified and will followup, expect a response on Friday.

Admin1

Hello 

Frequent Visitor

We can't switch to X1 - the system does not display the DVR recorded queue based on who set up the recording - I think it was programmed by a single 25-year old guy; doesn't work for people who have been married almost 50 years and whose Venn diagram of watched programs looks like the Mastercard logo.

I took RNG200N DVRs 3 and 4 back to Comcast this morning, explaind that I have had 3 noisy ones in a row and the new one Comcast sent me was totally hosed (non-responsive remote, pixellated playbacks, etc.) 

Interestingly, Comcast gave me a different model, DCX3400.  The disk drive(s) are quiet and everything seems to work as it should.  I see that it is older than the RNG200N model, but if it works, I am all for it.  Not sure what the recording capacity is yet.

Frequent Visitor

The DCX3400 failed.  I am back with a RNG200N, and it, too, has noisy disk drives. Comcast has no idea of why, doesn't seem to think that noisy drives are a problem, but they sure are annoying.

Plus the cable box will not load the program guide correctly.  Comcast says it should take 40 minutes, but it takes days, and never loads more than 6 days out.