Community Forum

New service - only getting "hunt" message

New Poster

New service - only getting "hunt" message

So I just got all my equipment in the mail today.  Got everything all set up.  Cable and internet.  The cable box is only displaying a "hunt" message.  Called Comcast, and they tried THREE TIMES to send a new signal through.  The box will not turn off like it is "supposed" to in order to complete registration.  Switched the cables from the modem for internet and the cables that I was using for the TV worked for the computer.  No matter what cables I use for the cable box, it still says "hunt", but no matter what cables I use for internet they work fine.  Comcast said they would have a guy from dispatch call me to come out, but he never did.  Do I just need to take the box into a store and have them switch it?  HELP!!!

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: New service - only getting "hunt" message

I suggest you have a tech visit to make sure all the downstream and upstream signal's are proper, there might be a trap on the line.

I doubt a box swap will help in this case.

New Poster

But wouldn't a trap on the line prevent the internet from comng through?  It's all through the same jack

Gold Problem Solver

dereksangel534 wrote: But wouldn't a trap on the line prevent the internet from comng through?  It's all through the same jack

Traps usually remove some signals, not all. Jay's advice to have a tech check things out is your best bet.

Regular Visitor

I have the same issue.  Got my equipment in the mail the other day and the box won't get past the "hunt" message.  Has Comcast been able to fix it for you?  What was the solution?

Silver Problem Solver

it means that the box is in hunt mode and is downloading info. give it a few mins up to a half an hour to download. this especially goes for boxes that have been unplugged for an extended period of time.

Regular Visitor

I plugged my box in at 6pm yesterday and 24 hours later, it still has the same "hunt" message.  So I can't imagine that it's still downloading something.  Checking the OOB status, it doesn't seem like signal is getting to the box.  Anyway, a technician is going to come out and check things out.

Silver Problem Solver

please report back what is found, as these are new errors that are being seen with the new self install kits.

Regular Visitor

The Comcast tech came out today and fixed the "hunt" issue.  According to him, he "jumbled" some of the things around in the box at the street.  So the "hunt" message was ultimately an issue with something not being configured correctly at the street level -- not an equipment issue or anything else with the self-installation.  Once my cable box (fyi, a Motorola DHC3416) got signal, everything worked.  I could watch tv and the cable box started downloaded the software.