Community Forum

New cable box, constantly rebooting

Regular Visitor

New cable box, constantly rebooting

Old cable box started rebooting. Called 800-COMCAST, was told to go to local store and swap for a new box. The new box is also constantly rebooting. Will work for a few mins, picture freezes, then box reboots. Several calls to 800-COMCAST, now they want to charge me for a tech visit since I self-installed the box that they instructed me to swap out. I have an advanced science degree and I know how to hook up a cable box. I also pay over $200/month for my triple play. It should work, and if it doesn't Comcast should come out and fix it. This has been going on for about 3 weeks. I also recently installed a new version of the smaller box that can access DVR since Comcast sent me a letter that said I had to update the outdated box. So frustrated! Where should I start? I have called Comcast at least a dozen times, instructed to unplug box, they send refresh signals, blah blah blah...
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: New cable box, constantly rebooting

If both cable boxes are doing the same thing, it generally means there’s a wiring issue going on. You’re going to need a tech

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

All other boxes in the house work, and had no issues before this recently started. Checked the cable run and there's no physical damage and it wasn't loose. Makes no sense.
Diamond Problem Solver

It doesn’t have to be physical. When you swapped your box did you swap out the power supply too?

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Yes, the box came with a new power supply