Community Forum

New Set-Top Box Overheating

New Poster

New Set-Top Box Overheating

I got a letter from Comcast stating that I would need to get the new set-top box, so I ordered it and installed it as directed.  It worked fine for the first few weeks and then starting turning itself off and on randomly while I was watching TV.  I also turned itself on in the middle of the night, and one day I came home to find the box was on and very hot with every light on the display on. One night it stopped working completely while I was getting to watch a favorit show.  I called "tech supoport" only to be told that because there was no response when the "tech" tried to "send a signal" to the box the only option was to have the comcast tech come to my house.  I declined this because I did not have time to wait half the day for a tech to show up, and also because I thought that since the box was overheating like that, the box just needed to be replaced.  I had decided to go to the local comcast store to exchange the box, but after a few reboots it started working again.  I remembered reading something in the instructions about not putting the box in an enclosed area, so I took the box off the shelf of my TV stand and put it on top of the stand, where it has been working since tonight.  Now it seems to be belly up for good.  I came home from work and the box was very hot with the whole display lit lup.  Tried several reboots, but no go.  Will be exchanging this box and will be cancelling my cable service when my contract is up next month.

Official Employee

Re: New Set-Top Box Overheating

Hi jajmo, I will send you a private message to further assist.

Thank you

New Poster

Hello,

I woke up to no cable this morning. I noticed my set top box was off.  I unplugged it, then plugged it back in and the blue corner light blinked, and I got the screen on the tv that said it was activation.  I did notice there was alot of "snow" on the tv, it's very cold here (10 degrees right now).  It started, then the box turned off again.  It's done that twice now.  The box feels hot to the touch like it's overheated.

I unplugged it in hopes that it will start up later after it cools down.  Any thoughts on how to make it work?

Regular Contributor

Let it cool down for an hour or so, give it another try and report back.

Does it have plenty of room and air flow so it doesn't overheat?

Some of the Comcast boxes output a Black Screen until they're properly activated.

-KP