Community Forum

Multiple Boxes, same room, remote changes ALL TVs

New Poster

Multiple Boxes, same room, remote changes ALL TVs

I have 1 DVR box and 2 small boxes for a 3 TV setup in my living room. When I use any of the remotes all 3 boxes pick up the signal and change the channels. Is there a way to change the frequency or something to have each remote only change channels for the box it's associated with?

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Multiple Boxes, same room, remote changes ALL TVs

Nope, both the DTA's and the newer RNG & DCX boxes use the same IR codes.

Only the older silver full cable boxes used a different code & remote.

Contributor

If you only want to change one box at a time, block the IR receivers on the fronts of the other two boxes when changing the channels or using the remote in general.

Frequent Visitor

I don't understand why you would have 3 televisions in the same room unless it is a really big room....but I'd say do what others suggest (cover receiver) and use either PC, Android, or Iphone App to change channels on the other boxes.

Diamond Problem Solver

Anybody with enough money enjoys multiple TV's in their Man Cave.  PIP is obsolete.

mancave.JPG

Silver Problem Solver

jay

Yours?

Regular Contributor

I just changed from Dish to Xfinity today....and Dish had the ability to change the frequency.  This is going to get very annoying, as we also have two televisions in the living room, one for hubby to watch what he wants (generally football).  Now, suddenly, as he--the typical male who surfs like crazy--constantly surfs the channels, it is messing up my viewing.  I wouldn't mind covering mine up and controlling with iphone, but apparently I can't view the DVR online....since "there are no compatible" receivers to control....

This is quite silly in today's digital age, it is becoming more common to have multiple receivers in the same room, there should be a way to differentiate.

Regular Visitor

I have the same problem. I have a slingbox in one of my kids' room connected to a comcast digital adaptor, but when my kid c9anges the channel on his comcast cable box it also changes the channel on my digital adaptor....

Regular Contributor

Since the remotes can't be addressed, one solution would be for  Comcast to do with their app what Dish did with theirs and allow the app to be used as a remote for fast forward, rewind, pause, info, etc.

Regular Visitor

I have spoken, chatted, emailed with Comcast, and they just don't get it ! I have also suggested that switching subtitles on/off be done with a button on the remote rather than thecomplicated annoying steps, but their replies are always bexplainingexplaining

Regular Contributor

In so many things, it is the simple things that Comcast fails at--most of them having to do with customer service or convenience--and they really don't seem to care. simple things like being able to address remotes, block adult channels/titles for on-demand, provide a DVR receiver that is stable enough that it does not have to be recycled every few days to be able to see the list of recorded programs. Their tech support is abysmal; in over 15 calls within just under a month, I did not get a single correct answer without forcing an escalation to tier 2 or management, and even then, did not get correct answers 1/2 the time.

That they do not understand that many people today have more than one television in the room is just another testament to their lack of concern about customer needs. In one of the tech calls, the "solution" I received from the tech I was talking to was "to move the second television to another room."

HMazal wrote:

I have spoken, chatted, emailed with Comcast, and they just don't get it ! I have also suggested that switching subtitles on/off be done with a button on the remote rather than thecomplicated annoying steps, but their replies are always bexplainingexplaining

Regular Visitor

Sorry......... i meant to write " their replies are always besides the point"

Regular Contributor

I thought I was the only one with two boxes in the same room. PIP or multiple tv's are a must for the sports fan who also likes to watch "regular" tv! (And we know what happened to PIP!) My current setup includes my main HD DVR (the old SA Exporer 8300) and a secondary HD box (Cisco RNG 150.) Luckily, they use different remotes. However, My SA is too old to access via the Xfinity app or online. If I upgrade to the Cisco 200 to gain that feature, I'll be in the same predicament as you guys! Can anyone confirm that the Cisco 150 & 200 use the same remote? FYI, In my previous system, I did have two identical boxes, but on one I attached the "cable eye" from my Sony VCR to the box and was able to change channels thru the VCR's channel up/down. I couldn't use any menu's or info buttons, but it did work. However, the VCR's remote codes are old and don't include any Cisco gear. Any ideas what brand of older cable box might mimic the Cisco remote freq's? I hope this get resolved so I can finally upgrade!

Diamond Problem Solver

If you swap your old HD box for a RNG150 the IR codes will be the same as the DVR and will interfere.  The codes are not selectable between similar boxes.

The cable mouse on a old Sony DVR will not work on the new RNG boxes as the Sony will not know anything about the new XMP protocol IR codes.  The cable mouse only knows the older IR codes.

Think about replacing the DVR with a Tivo and you will not have any interference with the IR codes.

Contributor

I have multiple tvs in my "mancave", one using Comcast dvr DCX3400, a second one using the Comcast HD box RNG110, and the third is hooked to an xbox360 where I run the ESPN app with XFinity. I am about to put another tv up which I am going to hook to an antenna so I can show one of the broadcast channels in hd when one of them are showing a sports program, freeing up the other tvs.

I control all of them with a Harmony smart remote, but after trying a number of alternatives, I have placed the RNG110 where it is out of the line of sight, use the remote to operate the DCX3400, and actually use the Xbox360 controller to manage the tv which has the espn app.  

This setup is tolerable, as I only keep the sound up on my largest tv which is connected to my DCX3400.  When I want to change the channel that has the RNG110 box, I have to walk up close to it with my back to the other Comcast box.  

One other thing...I also have a Logitech Revue that needed to be hooked in line with the Comcast box for it to work properly.  After Comcast told me I couldn't split that signal, I found a way to do it with an HD splitter...and it works.

All of these tvs are hooked up to a Denon AVR-1913 along with a Playstation3

Comcast will have to get their act together if they want to keep business of people like us.  Now that HD TVs have gotten so reasonable, it is not that uncommon for someone to have multiple tvs in the same room....and actually have them work!  

Contributor

Awesome setup with the pic shown above!

Regular Contributor

mike1sc wrote:

Comcast will have to get their act together if they want to keep business of people like us.  Now that HD TVs have gotten so reasonable, it is not that uncommon for someone to have multiple tvs in the same room....and actually have them work!  

I agree. We have had two televisions in the living room for over a decade, and addressable remotes made that painless. When we switched to Comcast, even putting one box out of line of sight did not work, it is a "hard surface" room, and the signal just bounced wherever and switched both boxes. Nearly drove us to distraction. I have to say that situation was one of the top 5 reasons we switched back to Dish after a month.

Contributor

I agree.  One thing I have found with a little success is I blocked the front of the RNG110, as it is controlling one of the smaller tvs in the room.  Sitting down, using a Harmony 670 remote, if I use it beside my right leg (the RNG110 is to the left from where I sit) it will change the Comcast dvr, which is for my primary and largest tv, without changing the RNG110.  I know, it is somewhat primitive, but it kept me from throwing all this outdated stuff out the window.

Don't get me started.......when for the past 5 or 6 years, SD tvs have not even been sold, and companies like Comcast want to charge a "surcharge" for HD service.....lol!  This issue we are talking about here is just another example that Comcast hasn't stepped up to what people are doing in this day and age.  

But, as primitive as some of this is, it does work....most of the time.  Note to Comcast....HD is the industry standard now and has been for over 5 years....not SD.  

New Poster

All you need is an IR reciever. It works with the RNG110 and most of the new DVR boxes. You can get extantions for them. Just run these around the room of your house. One on the different sides of the room. They also sell extion cables which are just a 3.5mm of male to female. 

"9ft. Infrared CFL,pcm,emi,ambient light proof Receiver Extender Cable for HD Set Top Boxes"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JSDHCY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2P71T2R9F3X04

Contributor

Jhymen, I think you missed the point that ALL the Comcast boxes work off the same frequency.  The extender cable you refer to is used when you want to hide the boxes behind cabinet doors and the IF extender cable allows you to do that.  That doesn't help anyone who has multiple tvs in the same room and using multiple boxes and trying to control them independently.

Comcast needs to offer a box with an alternative frequency so when a customer wants to use more than one tv and receiver in a room, the box with the alternative frequency could be used along with a normal Comcast box, and that would at least allow someone to use 2 tvs in the same room.  With the current boxes Comcast offers, all of them operate with the same frequency codes.  That needs to change.

Regular Visitor

The second box is only connected to a Slingbox and I resolved the conflict by "hiding" the second box with IR transmitter in a carton box within a closet.  The remote from my first comcast box does not reach the enclosed box.

This being said it would be nice to have the ability for different remote control  frequencies

Contributor

HMazal, thanks for your comments.  As it is becoming more commonplace for people to place multiple tvs in the same room, there are components out there which allow you to do things, but Comcast, much like the other cable providers, are very resistive to any of these types of changes because they see it as losing control of their signal.  I look at it from the customer's standpoint that if I am paying $9.95 per hd box, I should be able to have the capabilities to use those boxes I am renting from Comcast in the same room! The resolution to this issue will come as more people search for the best resolution.

I've finally given in to an extent...I am using a Comcast DVR which I use on a 55" lcd tv, and a Comcast HD box (the $9.95 one) I have hooked up to a 32" lcd tv, another 32" lcd tv is hooked up to XBOX360 with XBox Live, where I run the ESPN channels on, and just recently put up a 43" led tv hooked to an outside antenna to get the major networks on for the upcoming football season.  I have all of these tvs on the same wall in the same room, along with a Logitech Revue and a Roku3, all ran through a Denon AVR-1913.  Due to all the tvs and other electronic equipment, I had to put a small window unit air conditioner to offset the heat generated.  I actually run all of these items with a Harmony 670 smart remote, which is going on 6 years old, and still working great.  It becomes a popular room during the college football season as all the tvs are on beginning at noon until after midnight.

Sorry for the ramble but I guess all I would really like to see from Comcast is a box for people like me which could be controlled on an alternate frequency.  I can control everything now but not as easily as I should be able to....I'm sure we'll see a solution to this at some point.

Regular Contributor

Jhymen wrote:

All you need is an IR reciever. It works with the RNG110 and most of the new DVR boxes. You can get extantions for them. Just run these around the room of your house. One on the different sides of the room. They also sell extion cables which are just a 3.5mm of male to female. 

Oh, we tried that. Wall are hard, signals bounce, and both receivers still get pinged. Didn't matter where we put the reciever, if one remote could "find" it, the other did also.

Regular Contributor

mike1sc wrote:

Sorry for the ramble but I guess all I would really like to see from Comcast is a box for people like me which could be controlled on an alternate frequency.  I can control everything now but not as easily as I should be able to....I'm sure we'll see a solution to this at some point.

Dish does this, BTW.  Two receivers in the living room, actulaly sitting on top of each other now, each on a different frequency.

Problem Solver

At last just for reference, the X1 boxes typically have RF pairing support so you could pair a different remote to different box.

Contributor

Well, here's a small victory.  In previous posts I discussed using a Logitech 670 smart remote to control everything.  I have found with everything on, with a second Logitech Harmony 200, I can control the 32" tv with Comcast box and it doesn't affect the Comcast dvr.  In one sense, it still seems like we are in the seventies, but at least I can use the 200 to change one tv while leaving the other screens alone.  

Always looking for a better way.....

Highlighted
Expert
Moved:

This is a placeholder for a post that was moved to a secure location because it violates the forum guidelines (language filter circumvention). http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Forum-Guidelines/Posting-Guidelines/td-p/866289

New Poster

Has there been any update to this issue? I have the same problem. I don't understand how this could not have been thought of before? I could some what understand when you were able to connect your cable wire strait to the back of your TV, but now that they make you use a box, this is cazy.

Regular Contributor

ben2025 wrote:

Has there been any update to this issue? I have the same problem. I don't understand how this could not have been thought of before? I could some what understand when you were able to connect your cable wire strait to the back of your TV, but now that they make you use a box, this is cazy.

While I don't know about their new X1 (or whatever it is) system, I know that when I was with them on the regular DVR system the techs I spoke to just could not fathom why I would have two boxes in the same room. Over and over, the response I got was "why don't you just move the second tv and DVR to another room?" One even told me that we did not need more than one television in the same room and that I was being unreasonable to expect Comcast to cater to our "whim" to have two televisions in one room.  That was just one of the MANY reasons I left them and went back to Dish.

Valued Contributor

DMilnerJax wrote:

ben2025 wrote:

While I don't know about their new X1 (or whatever it is) system, I know that when I was with them on the regular DVR system the techs I spoke to just could not fathom why I would have two boxes in the same room. Over and over, the response I got was "why don't you just move the second tv and DVR to another room?" One even told me that we did not need more than one television in the same room and that I was being unreasonable to expect Comcast to cater to our "whim" to have two televisions in one room.  That was just one of the MANY reasons I left them and went back to Dish.

If you use the new XR2 and XR5 RF remotes with the XG1 DVR and/or HD-DTAs, as C_DM suggested above, then you can pair them and avoid the issue using IR mode.

If you want/need to continue to use the current boxes and their IR remotes, one idea is to use wired IR receivers (bugs) that you can try positioning so that only one is visible at a time to the remote(s). Most boxes have a rear panel jack (labeled "IR" or "EXT IR In") for connecting these.

I have this same issue myself with 2 boxes in one room. I ended up placing a cover over the wired IR receiver for a DTA I have connected to a VCR, so that the remote to the co-located STB doesn't inadvertently change the channel I want to record.

Another idea I had, (but I never tried), is to use two sets of optical (linear) polarizing film - placing one set vertically and one set horizontally - over the remote control IR emitters and the cable box IR receiver windows, to optically isolate their signals.

I found this set of linear polarizing film slides on Amazon for only $9: http://www.amazon.com/Square-Linear-Polarized-Filter-Window/dp/B004803FAK/ref=pd_rhf_ee_p_t_1

This assumes the film works at infrared wavelengths and does not reduce the brightness of the beams too much, affecting the remote's usable distance.

Valued Contributor

An article on the FierceCable site today about how Comcast may be preparing to deploy a new device called the "XR8" that would allow subscribers to control their existing STBs with RF remotes like the XR2 and XR5.  This way you could pair the remotes with a particular STB/DTA to solve this problem.

Universal Electronics preps XR8, XR2 'aim anywhere' devices for Comcast

By Steve Donohue, FierceCable - February 11, 2014

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/universal-electronics-preps-xr8-x2-aim-anywhere-devices-comcast/201...

"An FCC test application for Comcast's new XR8 device includes an image of the Sequence RF4CE-to-Serial Adapter that Universal exhibited last year at the SCTE Cable-Tec expo, along with an Xfinity logo. The adapter could be inserted into the IR port on legacy set-tops to enable to the boxes to be controlled with radio frequency signals that are more effective than the infrared technology that Comcast and most other pay TV providers currently use in remote controls.

"Your Xfinity remote can be paired with the XR8, allowing you to control your set-top box or DTA [digital terminal adapter] even when the device is placed out of line-of- sight (for example, in an entertainment center or behind your TV)," Universal wrote in the user manual that was included with its FCC application for the XR8 device."

Regular Contributor

telcodad wrote:

If you want/need to continue to use the current boxes and their IR remotes, one idea is to use wired IR receivers (bugs) that you can try positioning so that only one is visible at a time to the remote(s). Most boxes have a rear panel jack (labeled "IR" or "EXT IR In") for connecting these.

Ah, we tried that as well....it did not work either. To remain visible to one remote was to remain visible to both....in a room with ceramic tile floor, apparently the signal could just bounce all around. As I said, I finally solved the problem by going back to Dish who has had addressable remotes for well over a decade.

Contributor

Unfortunately, I think Comcast is so afraid, like all of the other cable giants, of losing their controlled signal, because after talking about this for over 2 years now, it is obvious Comcast has no intentions of accomodating the thousands of Comcast customers who, like me, have multiple tvs in the same room but are forced to use pre-1960's procedures in operating them (pre-remote days).

Let's face it, HD format tvs are the only type of tv that has been sold for the past 6 years, but Comcast and other providers are continuing to get away with charging a "premium" for an HD box.  That is just ridiculous and it is very clear they have no plans except to find new and creative ways to charge its customers more for the same service. I can assure you that if Comcast could find a way to charge "per remote use", they would have a fix for this immediately, because they could charge more for it.  

This may have drifted off point a bit but it only shows one thing, and that is no one has very much patience when dealing with Comcast, and the reasons are obvious.....the service has literally not changed in the past three years, but the costs have went up significantly, and every time Comcast comes up with the next creative way to charge its customer base more for the same thing, it really bakes the segment of the customer base that has been asking for this fix for over 2 years. 

Diamond Problem Solver
Moved: