Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Monthly cost for 1 more cablecard

Contributor

Monthly cost for 1 more cablecard

I already have 2 cablecards....is an additional one $1.50/month?

UPDATE: Well, I went to the local Xfinity office. They wanted to charge me $9.95 for another cable card PLUS $9.95 for my  2nd cablecard I already have. So to just get 1 more cablecard would cost me $19.90 more/month. What a joke. I thought 1st cablecard was free, 2nd and more than that was $1.50/cablecard?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Monthly cost for 1 more calecard

You should only be charged for a CableCard if you have more than one of them installed in a single device (some older Tivos). Note that Comcast sometimes calls a charge a "CableCard Fee" when it's actually an Additional Outlet fee. Also, for each device with a CableCard you should be receiving a $2.50/month Customer Owned Equipment credit. See https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/about-cablecards.

Contributor

@BruceW wrote:

You should only be charged for a CableCard if you have more than one of them installed in a single device (some older Tivos). Note that Comcast sometimes calls a charge a "CableCard Fee" when it's actually an Additional Outlet fee. Also, for each device with a CableCard you should be receiving a $2.50/month Customer Owned Equipment credit. See https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/about-cablecards.

Yes, I have 1 for the living room, have one in the bedroom and need another one for a bedroom.

Contributor

Re: Monthly cost for 1 more cablecard

Admin1

Hi bckoopman -- The information BruceW has provided has helpful information about CableCARDs. You are not charged for your first CableCARD. CableCARDs are $1.50 only when they are added to the same TiVo you're already using. Older TiVo models had a dual-CableCARD option. CableCARDs are $9.95 when added to an additional TiVo that uses a single-card option. Newer TiVo's only have a single-card option. 

Gold Problem Solver

@bckoopman wrote: ... I have 1 for the living room, have one in the bedroom and need another one for a bedroom.

Be aware that, for each Cablecard device you have activated, you should be receiving a $2.50/month Customer Owned Equipment Credit (see https://www.xfinity.com/equipmentpolicy). In some markets, instead of charging a $9.95 fee for additional outlets and listing the Equipment Credit separately, they combine the two amounts for additional Cablecard devices and charge a $9.95-$2.50 = $7.45 Additional Outlet fee.

New Poster

Hi Zach,

My first Xfinity Forums post, so here we go.

I have a single TiVo Bolt with a single Cablecard that apparently wasn't authorized property.  While going through the on-line process I noticed three devices were listed, which then caused me to go look at my Comcast invoices, OMG, crazy charges (same as this thread).  Now I've spent a good amount of time looking around on the forum and see that many have the same situation.  I am being overcharged, and have been for a long time.  What should I do???

Thanks in advance.

@ComcastZach
New Poster

Comcast and Tivo originally promoted a “solution” to marry cable and TIVO with the use of a cable card which was free. It was free originally. Now I am getting $7.95 charged on my bill for the “free” cable card (I only have one). I contacted customer service and the billing rep there spoke with her supervisor and both of them said it was never free. I call B.S. This seems like a deceptive practice to me
New Poster

@Mpride1 wrote:
Comcast and Tivo originally promoted a “solution” to marry cable and TIVO with the use of a cable card which was free. It was free originally. Now I am getting $7.95 charged on my bill for the “free” cable card (I only have one). I contacted customer service and the billing rep there spoke with her supervisor and both of them said it was never free. I call B.S. This seems like a deceptive practice to me

Take a look at some of your old printed Comcast statements.  At one point they were publishing a price list toward the back of the statement bundle, the list included the free cablecard.  $0 for the first one, just as you and others have said.

Admin1

Hi Mpride1 -- Is the TiVo the only cable box you're using? Your first CableCARD would be $0 if you are only using TiVo's. The CableCARD has charge if you have any other cable box from Comcast as your Comcast box acts as your main box and your CableCARD would be an additional piece of equipment.