Community Forum

Low resolution (480)

Frequent Visitor

Low resolution (480)

I just bought a new tv, but when I connected my Motorola Comcast box, the resolution was really low (480i!!) The only hookup on my box is for a coaxial cable, there's no HDMI port. 

I know it's not the tv, since streaming services are high quality. I can't find anything in the Comcast menu that will let me change the resolution. No "tv input" or "aspect ratio" or "video display".

How do I get my resolution set to 1080p, or a new box? 

Problem Solver

Re: Low resolution (480)

Which model Comcast box do you have?  Possibly an exchange at a local store is in order.

Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)
Diamond Problem Solver

That’s the resolution that coax and an SD box gets. It wouldn’t matter what type of box that you have if you’re using coax out. You would need to upgrade to an HD box and HD service.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

How do I get an hd box at no extra charge?
Frequent Visitor

I wish I could go to a store! They closed all the ones near me, though. The closest one is on an army base an hour away.
Diamond Problem Solver

You could straight swap for an HD box anytime but without adding HD service and using coax out, your picture will look pretty much the same. Sometimes it looks worse with a new tv and an SD signal

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Diamond Problem Solver

I’ve escalated this up to a colleague to see if we can get a box sent out and to look at your account to see what they can do for you. Look for a reply here

Frequent Visitor

Thank you!
Official Employee

Hi there, mrf10. Welcome to the community, thank you so much for reaching out for support via this method. We are glad to have you. I can understand wanting/needing an HD resolution, especially considering your TV is HD. I can absolutely check to see what we can do for you in regards to your equipment resolution questions/concerns/situation. If you can please send me a private message with your name, I'll take a look at your account and we can go from there. 

To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMorgan" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

I look forward to your reply.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Hello again, mrf10. I really appreciate your time and you working with me. However, I ended up not receiving a response back from you in order to move forward. Be sure to check out our My Account app if/when you have time. Feel free to reply back to my most recent PM if you end up needing further support with this. Thanks for being part of Comcast! 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!