Community Forum

Low SNR on one channel frequency

Regular Contributor

Low SNR on one channel frequency

Recently my area has been having Internet and TV issues, which I believe have mostly been resolved (or so I’ve been told).  In resolving the issues though the downstream power level for both my modem and my TiVo’s dropped by about 3 to 4 dBmV.   They are mostly still in spec.  The modem is now at -1 dBmV downstream power with SNR around 40 and 35 dBmV upstream power.  Connection seems okay, though there’s still a handful of daily T3 errors. 

The Tivos are reporting a signal strength of 92% or higher and a SNR of 37 or higher on most channel frequencies and audio and cideo, but at least one frequency (202 MHz) has a downstream power of 80 and a SNR of 32.  That channel has some corrected errors.   Previously the Tivo’s had a 99% power level and a 40 SNR, so it’s likely the 202 MHz frequency has always been lower, but it didn’t matter. 

Picture on the 202 MHz channels is okay, though we haven’t got into summer yet with the 100 degree signal killing days.  I have a tech appointment for tomorrow, should I keep it or cancel it and wait for actual problems on the channels on that frequency?

Official Employee

Re: Low SNR on one channel frequency

@Morac2 - How was your tech visit? 

Regular Contributor

@ComcastElla wrote:

@Morac2 - How was your tech visit? 

Since I technically wasn’t seeing a problem with the channels, despite being 80 degrees out, I canceled the tech visit.  The SNR and power on frequency 202 MHz is still low when compared to other frequencies (32 vs 39 SNR), but it’s not currently bad enough to cause problems.  I don’t know what happens once we start having 90+ degree days though. 

Official Employee

@Morac2 - I can check if there is anything going on in your area if you would like, I will need to get your full name and phone number. Otherwise, feel free to reach me at any time if you notice any issues with your account.