Community Forum

Line Noise Troubleshooting

Contributor

Line Noise Troubleshooting

I need some help from the experts in the group with regard to an issue I am having. About two weeks ago I lost access to On-Demand content. A day or two later I got an e-mail from Comcast saying they needed to do a noise check/repair at my house. The technician came over earlier this week and identified the noise in one of the lines. His recommendation was to replace the line.  I purchased the coaxial cable  (Comcast quality cable) and the connectors with the plan to replace it this weekend. The technician also informed me that the line unit put a filter on my line at the pole that serves my house.

Two days ago, I noticed my Wifi signal at the house was really bad. It got to a point where I could not even connect to my wifi network. As I started troubleshooting my wifi issue, it dawned on me that my wireless router and my smart TV are very close to the cable box that is connected to the line the technician identified as the line with the noise.  Everything is within 12-18 inches from each other.

Now I am somewhat confused if the line is the actual problem and not my wifi router or even the  cable box.  I would like to try some troubleshooting as far as replacing the box and/or moving the wifi router to another location. Is there a way for me as a homeowner to check for line noise?

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Line Noise Troubleshooting

No there isn’t. The filter will also affect your internet as it blocks two upstream channels, same channels the On Demand uses. You’ll need a tech out again to remove the filter.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Contributor

The filter cannot be removed until the noise issue has been resolved.  I don't want to get a tech over here and pay for their visit just to find out I still have noise in the line. Although he suspected it was the cable but was not so sure about it.  I don't know if the TV or wifi router were creating a magnetic field powerfull enough to genereate noise.  Or even if the box itself has some issue and needs to be replaced.

Just to add something about the  wifi issue, I am not using the wifi feature of the modem. My wifi router is a linksys wireless router which is connected to the modem. The internet connectivity from the modem out to the Internet is fine and showing the expected speed.

Diamond Problem Solver

There are no charges associated with fixing ingress (noise/interference). It isn’t difficult to determine the cause, the techs have the equipment to determine the cause. Maybe you need a second opinion.

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Do you mean a second opinion from another Comcast tech? If so, I can do that if I am not going to get charged for it. I will call and schedule a visit.

Diamond Problem Solver

I can get it escalated to a colleague to get you scheduled and set up properly

Contributor

How do we do that? Do I switch to private message to give you my account information?

Bronze Problem Solver

Thank you for reaching out to us on the Forums, I would be happy to look at your account from here. To protect the privacy of your account, can you provide your full name exactly as it's listed on the billing statement? To send a private message click on my name, then click "Send a message".

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee and no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.