Community Forum

Is the RNG150N a DVR?

New Poster

Is the RNG150N a DVR?

I cannot get it to perform any DVR functions.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Is the RNG150N a DVR?

According to http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/cable-box-user-manuals/ the RNG150N is an HD cable box, non-DVR.

New Poster

So why did Comcast customer service assure me that it was a DVR?

Problem Solver

jsultan123 wrote:

So why did Comcast customer service assure me that it was a DVR?

They didn't know any better and/or made a mistake?  Truly sad and bad, but happens far too often with pretty much any customer service for practically any company, unfortunately.

Regular Visitor

OK, so now I'm confused.  I just got a PR150BNM (made by Pace I believe) via UPS today.  Haven't hooked it up yet.  When I look at the bottom of the unit, through the grill, I'd swear that I see a hard drive in there.  Why does it have a 'Record' light on the front if it can't record?  

Mainly why I'm confused though is because when I complained about the loss of local HD channels since they started scramblilng the clearQAM signals on the cable they sent me this box and offered me one year of HD service.  They made it sound like they were sending me a HD DTA for use on my second HD TV, not as a replacement for my main cable box that supports VOD, etc.  But this sure looks like a replacement for that box.  To complex to be a simple DTA.

Regular Visitor

I know that I'm replying to my own post instead of editing it but some people might have already read it and I want to save any confusion.

After examining the box a little more, I now believe that this is NOT a DVR.  What I thought looked like a hard drive is really the comcast interface card.  It says M-CARD on it so this is what is referred to as a cablecard I think.  I have not hooked this up yet, so I don't know if it has VOD capability.

Contributor

the Motorola RNG150N and the Pace RNG150N are both anyroom set top boxes, that have i-Guide software on then, that can access the main dvr if you have a advr and anyroom dvr service. But the PR150BNM a Pace made X1 set top box, but comcast has been installing them as standard set top boxes and if you dont have x1 on your account, it will download the standard i-Guide software and override the x1 software already installed on the box.

All of these boxes have a recording light to indicate that the anyroom dvr is recording a show

Official Employee

What you see inside is a cable card not a hard drive, it has the same capabilities as any other non DVR digital box
New Poster

The rng150n's have the ability to communicate with the main DVr on the account provided that the account is properly provisioned with x1 service and any room DVr service. I just looked at my equipment and realized my answer is stupid. I have two units that say xfinity rng150n on the front panel. But on the back of one it says it's made by Samsung and the model number is sr150bnm. The other one says it's made by pace and it's a pr150bnm. I'm gonna guess it all depends on how these units are loaded from the headend that decides what they can and can't do.