Community Forum

Impossible to utilize DVR with live tv to rewind and FF

Frequent Visitor

Impossible to utilize DVR with live tv to rewind and FF

Comcast has made it virtually impossible to utilize my DVR with live tv.  If I miss part of a program and try to rewind or fast forward through the commercials, inevitably the cable box shuts off for some reason, the station signal is lost and the screen goes black, or the entire cable system goes out, all of which reset the box to the current time and prevent viewing the portion of the program that was missed.  It erases 30 or 40 min. of the show that I "rewound" and then returns to live tv in time to see the end, or even after it's over.  I've called and complained and sent emails.  I get a lot of apologies and excuses, but the same thing keeps happening.

Now I'm getting the cable system's "weekly test" MULTIPLE TIMES A DAY ON THE SAME CHANNEL!  BEEP, BEEP, BEEP . . . GOODBYE.  Needless to say, that wipes out whatever I'm trying to watch.  

Why can't you make this work?  I have a DVR because I can't just sit in front of the tv screen all the time and never walk away and I don't have a tv in every room of the house.  However, these constant malfunctions are making it next to USELESS.  I've been a Comcast subscriber for a long time, but I've had enough.  Cable tv is way overrated and overpriced.  When my contract is up in a few months, I'll go back to an antenna and you guys will be history! 

Official Employee

Re: Impossible to utilize DVR with live tv to rewind and FF

@baz123 wrote:

Comcast has made it virtually impossible to utilize my DVR with live tv.  If I miss part of a program and try to rewind or fast forward through the commercials, inevitably the cable box shuts off for some reason, the station signal is lost and the screen goes black, or the entire cable system goes out, all of which reset the box to the current time and prevent viewing the portion of the program that was missed.  It erases 30 or 40 min. of the show that I "rewound" and then returns to live tv in time to see the end, or even after it's over.  I've called and complained and sent emails.  I get a lot of apologies and excuses, but the same thing keeps happening.

Now I'm getting the cable system's "weekly test" MULTIPLE TIMES A DAY ON THE SAME CHANNEL!  BEEP, BEEP, BEEP . . . GOODBYE.  Needless to say, that wipes out whatever I'm trying to watch.  

Why can't you make this work?  I have a DVR because I can't just sit in front of the tv screen all the time and never walk away and I don't have a tv in every room of the house.  However, these constant malfunctions are making it next to USELESS.  I've been a Comcast subscriber for a long time, but I've had enough.  Cable tv is way overrated and overpriced.  When my contract is up in a few months, I'll go back to an antenna and you guys will be history! 

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. 

I can see that you are using one of our older "legacy" DVRs, a Motorola DCT 6416. 

That may be part of (or most of) the issue.

We can get you a replacement X1 DVR with more storage (the one you have is only 160gb hard drive) at no additional cost. We can get one shipped to you or you can swap it out at the location below: 

104 Lois Road
Houma, LA 70363
HOURS
Mon - Fri: 9:00am - 5:00pm
Sat - Sun: Closed

I have asked a colleague to review your account and reach out to you so that we can start the process of replacing your DVR with something newer than 2005.  

Thanks for your patience.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Hi, baz123. Thanks for posting. I can imagine the frustration you've experienced dealing with continued equipment/service issues. We definitely want to turn things around for you and get you to a solution. Please let me know if you're interested in the cable box upgrade and if so, which method you'd prefer to get it. We will go from there, thank you.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Thank you, but I have been down that road already.  I was notified that I was due for an equipment upgrade a long time ago.  I finally gave in and got the X1 cable box.  Bad idea.

Maybe I'm a dinosaur when it comes to technology, but I found the X1 overly complicated and confusing.  There are actually some things my old box does that the X1 can't do.  I tried to make it work, but on the fourth day it started repeatedly resetting itself and wouldn't turn on.  After several phone calls and 5 or 6 hrs spent trying to get it to start up again, a technician told me it was probably dead.  I had not even had a chance to return the other box yet!

At that point I decided to keep the box I had and I returned the broken X1.  

Still, the DVR is not my problem.  The problem is the loss of the signal that interrupts the DVR.  And why does the "weekly test" have to interrupt programming anyway?  I've already seen 4 "weekly" tests this week.  The best thing about the DVR is being able to pause or rewind if you miss something or leave the room, the phone rings, etc.  If it's not reliable because of unpredictable glitches, cable tests, and so on, I might just get rid of it all together.

Official Employee

When was the last time you had a technician out?

Frequent Visitor

This address previously had satellite tv.  The cable was a new installation about 18 mos. ago.

Official Employee

OK. Since you're having issues with both internet and cable service, I highly recommend scheduling another technician visit. I can help you with that if you'd like.