Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

How do you send message to TV screen

New Poster

How do you send message to TV screen

There in an Xfinity commercial airing that shows a dad sending a "Dinner is ready" message to display on the TV.  How is this done?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: How do you send message to TV screen

never see that.   Its not a function of any of the current boxes, unless you can do it with the new x1box.   pay attention to the commercial next time and see if that is what it says.  x1 is available in georgia and parts of boston and is rolling out in phili soon.

Contributor

I imagine this is not the same but you can display a message on TV by renaming your DVR in DVR manager.

Like if I rename my DVR to "come eat dinner" then click on "show name on TV" the TV will display a message saying:

This TV's name is:

come eat dinner

Silver Problem Solver

I thought about posting that but thought that would be a lot of work for someone to go through for that. 

Regular Contributor

The a30 guide on my Motorola boxes has Text Messaging under iTV/Notificaions in the menu, but says "Text message notifications on your TV are coming soon"

Frequent Visitor

I would like to know the answer also. I currently have an x1 box. This is a neat idea but apparently no at comcast got the memo on this service, because when i call customer support no one has a clue what i am talking about... Very frustrating.

Official Employee

gdio53 wrote:

The a30 guide on my Motorola boxes has Text Messaging under iTV/Notificaions in the menu, but says "Text message notifications on your TV are coming soon"

We do have plans to activate a Text Messaging to the TV feature later this year across all our platforms. Thanks for your patience.

New Poster

Then you shouldn't have put it in your commercial yet.

New Poster

They now have a send a message to your tv feature available.  I used it a few weeks back.  But now for the life of me can't find the link on their site :-(

New Poster

The link is on the home page (xfinity.comcast.net) at the bottom of the command bar on the left.

New Poster

you can do it from your Xfinity Comcast account on the website I think I chose connect and I kept scrolling down on the left hand side until I said until I saw message to GV
New Poster

You get on your computer. Go to xfinity.com. On the main page on the left side of the page.. The menu says things like Email, Voice and Text, Home Security & Control.. etc. etc. the last one says "Message To TV" .. you click the arrow on the side of that. You can send a message to the tv... 

I have a question for myself.. It only lets me send it to one tv.. I'm wondering how to select a different tv in the house..To send a message to..

I think it is a realllly cool feature!

New Poster

I could send messages to my TV too, but now the function has dissapeared.

Silver Problem Solver

Woah, I go to the comcast site every day, and didn't notice the site had a message to tv option. I'll have to try it out later.

New Poster

On the xfinity website. at the bottom ... message to tv.  lets you pick which of your tvs to send to. 

New Poster

Correct.  I had done this once bt stumbling upon that option.  Why do they bury it so it's hard to find?

Silver Problem Solver

It's not buried, it's in plain sight. I guess the best place to hide something really is in plain sight.
New Poster

Poor choice of words I guess...I seldom use it and couldn't remember the webpage, so I bookmarked the page. We won't be friends now I guess.

John3758 wrote:
It's not buried, it's in plain sight. I guess the best place to hide something really is in plain sight.

L

Frequent Visitor

Is there a way of doing this though a app there are times I would like to do this but don't have time to login to Comcast
New Poster

Is this text to TV feature still availble...can't seem to find it anywhere??!!

Regular Contributor

COOL!  I just did it!  Just was browsing though the forum and saw this.  Guess I'll have to take my iPad downstairs so I can log into Comcast and send a message to my husband's TV upstairs.  I could pick any of my TVs to send it to.    It was there just where that post said.  And I don't have any special X1 box, etc.  

Regular Contributor

Well I got it to show when I log in on my iPad but it isn't showing up on my iPod touchscreen 5th generation.  Is it not there or just hiding?  iPod screen is so small you can't really use it for the internet or find your way around.  

oh ps.....does it just work if you are on the same network/modem?  Or can I send text to my TV when I'm not home if I log into my Xfinity account?

New Poster

Just talked to a tech rep.  The Text to message to TV feature is going thrugh some fixes because of some issues it was causing.  The issue is being worked between Motorolla and Comcast.  They are suppose to turn the feature back on once the issues are resolved.  No time was given for when the feature would be turned back on.

Frequent Visitor

I HOPE they can find a way to get this in a app this would be handy when I am out
New Poster

From the Xfinity.Comcast.net after signing in there is a menu on the left side of screen. One of the menu items allows you to send a text msg to any DVR box on your acct. You select the TV to send the msg to with theTV being the DVR name previously selected. I have used this on a std DVR box (2 kinds) for some time, switched to X1 and now can't. I was told the feature isn't active due to the X1 system being a server w/ter!finals type of setup. 

I almost decided to go back to 3 DVRs not only from loosing that feature but only the X1 server box can pause a show and several related options. The new features though won with the promise of upgds and the overall bundle cost is much less. We like the video link to the home security too.

New Poster

Smiley Happy I love it works good