Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

How do you remove voice narration on some TV shows?

Regular Visitor

How do you remove voice narration on some TV shows?

In the last month, we now have a very annoying voice narration on some of our favorite shows on the USA network like Burn Notice, Suits, and other shows. Is there a setting we need to change to remove the voice narration? This is very annoying, and it makes watching the shows unbearable listening to someone tell you every scene that is happening on the show.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: How do you remove voice narration on some TV shows?

Press the"LANG" button on the remote.

Silver Problem Solver

PattyMeola wrote:
In the last month, we now have a very annoying voice narration on some of our favorite shows on the USA network like Burn Notice, Suits, and other shows. Is there a setting we need to change to remove the voice narration? This is very annoying, and it makes watching the shows unbearable listening to someone tell you every scene that is happening on the show.

What type of box do you have? If it's one of the tiny DTA's, press the LANG button as mentioned. If not, there may be an audio submenu where somebody accidentally turned on the Video Description service, which enables the alternate audio feed if it's available.

Frequent Visitor

So how do I remove the voice narration if I don't have a Lang button on my remote.  I have one of the tiny digital boxes.

Frequent Visitor

This is soooooo frustrating and Comcast customer service has NO clue how to fix this.  I told them that I do not have the Lang button on my remote and it may be on a sub menu.  They have "limited tools" available to them regarding Voice Narration.  So he gives me the number to call for more info and it is the number that takes me to the same round about automated system that I spent time with yesterday and they had no clue what I was talking about. 

Silver Problem Solver

The voice narration is a setting in the cable box, controlled by the remote.

Every DTA remote I have seen has the "Lang" button. I am not sure why yours does not. Is it a small black remote?

I do not believe there are menu settings you can access on a DTA.

Try swapping the remote for one with a lang button.

Also make sure the narration is not coming from the TV.

Frequent Visitor

It is the remote that Comcast supplied to me when they gave me the small (3" x 4") box.  But when I went to Menu and Setup I found the language setup and Spanish audio was selected.  I have had this equipment since November 2013.  The upstairs TV has the correct setting and the two TVs have the same equipment.

Silver Problem Solver

Did you change the language setting?

Frequent Visitor

Yes, I changed it to English.  This hopefully will stop the voice narration.  I can see where it would be very helpful to sight impaired people but if you are not sight impaired it is very annoying while you are trying to watch your favorite program.

Official Employee

Golddust, if you have an HD dta than you don't have a lang button. The HD dta have remotes that are identical to x1 boxes and not SD dtas. If the narration doesn't go away change the second language to French.
Frequent Visitor

How did the language mode change from English to Spanish?  The only thing that I have done with my remote is to turn the TV off and on, change volume and channels.  And the only channels I watch are Channel 8 NBC and Channel 10 OPB - and very occasionally Channel 9 WGN.

Official Employee

No idea, the same random thing has been happening to x1 terminals, and the temporary fix has been to change the second audio to French because there isn't anything comcast broadcasts that has French as a second audio.
Frequent Visitor

I will remember to change to French if this doesn't work.  Right now it is working and I am getting audio for OPB commericals so I am assuming it works. 

Why do the Comcast customer service reps not know about this?  For the amount of $$ we pay for cable service one would think some of that money should be directed to more training.  

Frequent Visitor

How many customers per terminal?

Official Employee

X1 terminals are a type of cable box
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for all your help.  I will remember selecting French if the Spanish selection does not work.

New Poster

how do I remove voice narration on some tv shows.

Silver Problem Solver

amy: read the above posts!

Official Employee

‎06-19-2014 03:17 AM

amy: read the above posts!

Actually since the above posts, if you have X1 and you hit the A button on the remote, a text box about Voice Guidance will pop up.
Official Employee
Moved:

New Poster

I'm having the same problem. So I pressed to "Lang" button on my remote and hopefully the very annoying narration will stop. Also some of my favorite channels are in Spanish or there is no sound at all. It's so bizarre!
Silver Problem Solver

ComcastAndrew wrote:
Golddust, if you have an HD dta than you don't have a lang button. The HD dta have remotes that are identical to x1 boxes and not SD dtas. If the narration doesn't go away change the second language to French.

hehehe i can see it now ... 

*2 years down the road, the broadcasters start broadcasting in french*

Why is my audio in french!?!?!?

Anyway I do seem to be having luck after durning off DVS, to change the language to portugese, then back to english.