Community Forum

HDMI No Signal Issue unless directly to TV (No Receiver, Xbox bridge)

Frequent Visitor

HDMI No Signal Issue unless directly to TV (No Receiver, Xbox bridge)

I am having two issues (possibly related,) which onsite techs have been unable to solve. 

First, I am only able to use my Xfinity cable box when the HDMI is plugged directly into my Television HDMI port from the cable box. “No Signal” issue when connecting HDMI Out from the Xfinity box into either my Onkyo receiver or my xBox. The Onkyo would not indicate that an HDMI signal is received. Connecting the Xbox One to the same receiver ports, a signal is received. The tech suggested the issue is with my Television, but the issue is only  encountered with Xfinity.

Update: Even when connected directly to my LG TV, the cable signal will flicker off every minute or so.

Both the Onkyo Receiver and LG TV are both ~8 years old. LG TV has the ARC HDMI port. 

Troubleshooting Performed:

• Xfinity Box was replaced Twice.
    Replaced all HDMI Cabled with new  RocketFish cables. Same issue.
  • Xfinity on-site tech replaced all coaxial within and to my home from outside.
  • Tested all the same HDMI In ports using my xBox one and HDMI signal is not an issue 

Test connection and results (using the same ports on devices for consistency.)

• Xfinity to TV Directly - Signal working, video displayed
    Path: Coax from Wall > Surge Protector (to eliminate buzz) > Xfinity Receiver > Xfinity HDMI OUT > LG TV HDMI IN.
  • Xfinity to Onkyo Receiver to LG TV - No Signal
    Path: Xfinity Box > Onkyo Receiver > LG TV HDMI 1
  •  Xfinity to XBOX ONE to TV - No Signal
    Path: Xfinity Box > xBox One >  LG TV HDMI 1
  •  Xfinity to XBOX ONE to Onkyo Receiver to TV - No Signal
    Path: Xfinity Box > xBox One > Onkyo Receiver > LG TV HDMI 1

I don’t know why the Xfinity signal will ONLY work when directly connected to the TV HDMI 1 port. 

NOTE:  HDMI 1 on the TV is the ONLY port (of three) which will display the signal from the cable box.

Plugging the same HDMI cable into any other port, No Signal, even when directly from the xfinity box.

Second Issue:  There is a constant buzzing and electrical sound unless I pass the coaxial IN through a surge protector before connecting to the cable box.  Without the surge protector in place, I will notice a buzzing the moment I touch the HDMI out cable to the  HDMI IN on the Television.  Again, all coax from Xfinity was replaced.

Frequent Visitor

Re: HDMI No Signal Issue unless HDMI is plugged directly into TV

*Addendum: The Xfiunity Box was replaced twice, neither corrected the issue.

Expert

@Larsogm wrote:

*Addendum: The Xfiunity Box was replaced twice, neither corrected the issue.

it sounds like you have a floating ground (danger including possibility of death caused by shock). an in-house very-trained tech should be able to determine the grounding issue and that may resolve other issues if the equipment is not damaged. the coax enters the home (plant) and is to be connected to a ground block (to earth ground) and a POE filter.  Any impressed voltage arriving on the coax would be shorted to ground by that grounding block. Please be very careful until this is resolved. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thank you. A floating around would be electrical in my home, not related to Xfinity?

Xfinity has replaced the coax within and everything from 'the box' to my home.
Expert

@Larsogm wrote:
Thank you. A floating around would be electrical in my home, not related to Xfinity?

Xfinity has replaced the coax within and everything from 'the box' to my home.

a hot ground (ungrounded/floating) should be addressed as soon as possible. As a customer we do not know if you are in a home, condo, apartment, etc nor of devices connected, home wiring outlet polarity, and other devices connected to the equipment.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Change the setting on the Comcast Box to 1080i and it will work. I had the same issue. The new updated boxes come with 1080p as default and older recievers will not pass through 1080p.

Expert

@attilio209 wrote:

Change the setting on the Comcast Box to 1080i and it will work. I had the same issue. The new updated boxes come with 1080p as default and older recievers will not pass through 1080p.

1080i is for CRT (projector) HD tv's while flat screens use p (progressive). Please do not destroy the digital video stream by forcing the box to convert to interlaced. 720p or 1080p is best for the digital TVs.

Frequent Visitor

You will not see the difference from 1080P ro 1080i unless you are watching 4k. Just make the chane to 1080i so your reciever will work. If you dont, you will have to money rig wiring to work. 

Expert

@attilio209 wrote:

You will not see the difference from 1080P ro 1080i unless you are watching 4k. Just make the chane to 1080i so your reciever will work. If you dont, you will have to money rig wiring to work. 

4k is only p (progressive). please do not advise us to change to a deprecated (out of date) format like interlaced. 

Frequent Visitor

RustyBen,

I have now had Xfinity (twice,) ComEd, and a licensed electrician come to my condo and check everything out.    
There is no floating ground in my home.  (I've now spent nearly $200 ($60 Xfinity visit, $125 Electrician) trying to identify the problem.

• Original HDMI issue persists
  • The cable signal will flicker off and on every few minutes even when connected directly to the TV.
  • Buzzing persists when connecting the Coaxial directly from the wall to the Xfinity box. 

Are there any Xfinity TechSupport folks out there who can assist? 

Cancelling Xfinity TV seems like the way to go if this cannot be resolved. 

Frequent Visitor

Multiple HDMI No Signal Issues

Cross Posting here, as I originally posted in X1 area. I am not an X1 user.

First, I am only able to use my Xfinity cable box when the HDMI is plugged directly into my Television HDMI port from the cable box. “No Signal” issue when connecting HDMI Out from the Xfinity box into either my Onkyo receiver or my xBox. The Onkyo would not indicate that an HDMI signal is received. The port does work with an xBox one, so it's not the receiver.  Additionally, even when connected to the HDMI Port on the TV, the video will flicker off then back on every 3-5 minutes.

Both the Onkyo Receiver and LG TV are both ~8 years old. LG TV has the ARC HDMI port. 

Troubleshooting Performed:

• Xfinity Box was replaced Twice.
    Replaced all HDMI Cabled with new  RocketFish cables. Same issue.
  • Xfinity on-site tech replaced all coaxial within and to my home from outside.
  • Tested all the same HDMI In ports using my xBox one and HDMI signal is not an issue 

Test connection and results (using the same ports on devices for consistency.)

• Xfinity to TV Directly - Signal working, video displayed
    Path: Coax from Wall > Surge Protector (to eliminate buzz) > Xfinity Receiver > Xfinity HDMI OUT > LG TV HDMI IN.
  • Xfinity to Onkyo Receiver to LG TV - No Signal
    Path: Xfinity Box > Onkyo Receiver > LG TV HDMI 1
  •  Xfinity to XBOX ONE to TV - No Signal
    Path: Xfinity Box > xBox One >  LG TV HDMI 1
  •  Xfinity to XBOX ONE to Onkyo Receiver to TV - No Signal
    Path: Xfinity Box > xBox One > Onkyo Receiver > LG TV HDMI 1
  • Xfinity will ONLY work when directly connected to the TV HDMI 1 port

NOTE:  HDMI 1 on the TV is the ONLY port (of three) which will display the signal from the cable box.  Plugging the same HDMI cable into any other port, No Signal, even when directly from the xfinity box.

Second Issue:  There is a constant buzzing and electrical sound unless I pass the coaxial IN through a surge protector before connecting to the cable box.  Without the surge protector in place, I will notice a buzzing the moment I touch the HDMI out cable to the  HDMI IN on the Television. 

Troubleshooting: All Xfinity coax/connections within and outside of the home from Xfinity were replaced.  It was suggested that I may have a 'floating ground,' but I did have both ComEd and an electrician come out to inspect my home, no issues were found. 

Official Employee

Re: Multiple HDMI No Signal Issues

Hi, Larsogm. Are you using the same HDMI port on your TV when troubleshooting this?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Hi there,
Yes. Using the same HDMI port on the TV.
Greg
Frequent Visitor

Still struggling with this.  Does anyone have any suggestions? 

Frequent Visitor

Replace the TV as it appears to have an internal short to ground which is the likely cause of all the current failures.   Verifying no AC power on the incoming cable shield was very good, and if that is ever a factor it can be fixed by regrounding/replacing the demarc and/or re-grounding/verifying the box near the curb or the module in the BIG aggregator-backhaul-thing within a mile or two.

Expert

@bald2718281828 wrote:

Replace the TV as it appears to have an internal short to ground which is the likely cause of all the current failures.   Verifying no AC power on the incoming cable shield was very good, and if that is ever a factor it can be fixed by regrounding/replacing the demarc and/or re-grounding/verifying the box near the curb or the module in the BIG aggregator-backhaul-thing within a mile or two.

i don't see how you can assume any of that (speaking as a tech). the current failure as you call it is simply a handshake issue where the connection is dropped (part of HDCP). Comcast has stated it is confirmed and some customers have reported an update to firmware will be pushed out (installed) to fix the issue as soon as it is completed and tested.