Community Forum

HDHomeRun - Some channels have weak signal

New Poster

HDHomeRun - Some channels have weak signal

I've been using an HDHomeRun Prime with a Comcast CableCard for probably 3 years now with no issues. It goes through Windows Media Center on a Windows 7 computer. Just the other day, with no changes on my end, a number of the channels cannot be used anymore and I get a "channel has a weak signal" error message. So far it's <10 channels, but they are some common ones (like PBS and ABC).

I tried rebooting my HDHomeRun, rebooted my computer, tried troubleshooting with Comcast on the phone... nothing has worked.

I'm wondering if my CableCard is showing it's age and maybe I need to swap for a new one?

On the "my.hdhomerun.com" page it shows I have a strong signal and good quality, card authentication and validation were successful as well. I'm on the latest firmware as well

Anyone have any experience like this that could offer a solution?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: HDHomeRun - Some channels have weak signal

Cablecards authorize and decrypt channels, but they are not tuners, so a bad card would not be responsible for the weak signal messages you are seeing. The most likely cause is a poor connection to Comcast's network, usually in or near your home.

Troubleshoot by checking all coax connectors for corrosion and tightness, and by looking for damaged cable. Running the cable through a surge protector, a defective splitter, or too many splitters can cause signal problems as well. If there is an amplifier in the line make sure it's getting power.

If you can't find the problem, call them at the phone number on your bill or 1-800-Comcast, or chat with them using the TV Support option at https://support.xfinity.com/chat. Insist they send a tech out to identify the cause and correct it.

If the tech finds bad coax, splitters, amplifiers, or connections in your home (even if Comcast originally supplied them) you'll probably have to pay for the visit unless you have their Service Protection Plan (https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/service-protection-plan, closed to customers that don't already have it). If the trouble is due to anything outside your home, you shouldn't be charged.

New Poster

@BruceW wrote:

Cablecards authorize and decrypt channels, but they are not tuners, so a bad card would not be responsible for the weak signal messages you are seeing. The most likely cause is a poor connection to Comcast's network, usually in or near your home.

Troubleshoot by checking all coax connectors for corrosion and tightness, and by looking for damaged cable. Running the cable through a surge protector, a defective splitter, or too many splitters can cause signal problems as well. If there is an amplifier in the line make sure it's getting power.

Thanks for this, I have checked all my connections (plus nothing changed when this issue started). I have what consider to be a clean setup: no cable splitters, no amplifiers, not running through surge protectors, nothing like that.

But why would a poor connection cause just a handful of channels to behave like this, I would imagine that a poor connection would cause all channels to receive error messages

Gold Problem Solver

@camaro192 wrote: ... why would a poor connection cause just a handful of channels to behave like this, I would imagine that a poor connection would cause all channels to receive error messages

You would think so, but Comcast techs see this every day. The reasons are complicated, subtle, and depend on the exact cause. Best bet is to have a tech out to take a look. Problems may exist farther upstream or in the HdHomeRun, but these are less likely.