Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

HD pixelation...

Regular Contributor

HD pixelation...

I was having trouble with my original Motorola HD box on HD, it would pixelation occasionally, but I could stop it by rebooting the box.  And no problems with SD channels.  So I got tired of rebooting, and got a newer Motorola box, which had sound drop outs on HD, no problems with SD TV channels.

Now I have a new Pace HD box (RNG110), and I'm getting pixelation on both SD channels and HD channels, and am throughly disgusted with Comcast.  I gather that I'm getting pixelation on the SD channels because they're now digitally rendered, like SD.  Thinking of going to DirecTV to get rid of the crappy picture that I'm paying a whole lot for now.

I should give Comcast one last chance to take care of this, but it is really annoying, and has been a long term problem.  They always tell me that my signal is fine, but I still get this pixelation, and now with rebooting the HD/SD box not helping, it is beyond tolerable.  

It also occurred to me to try removing 1080i from the list that the HD box has of the capabilities of my TV, even though 1080i should work, maybe giving the box less to would help?  The 780p that I get on Roku looks pretty darn good on my TV, so that might be worth a try...

Other than DirecTV, there's Netflix and Hulu Plus, but my wife's mother lives with us, and she just couldn't cope with that (she's 86, and not technologically savvy).

Thoughts?  Anyone gotten a satisfactory solution to the pixelation problem?  Anyone else getting pixelation on SD channels now?  Any experience with DirecTV?

Just wondering how this is going with other people, to get an idea of what I can expect going various directions.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Official Employee

Re: HD pixelation...

Pixelation is almost always caused by a signal issue, either there is interference on the line, or the signal strength is lower than it needs to be.

You would want to double check the coaxial connections both at the box and the splitter where the cable comes in, if you are still having issues, then we would want a technician to come out.

Pixelation is not going to be caused by the resolution settings on the TV

Comcast Nick
Supervisor
Executive Customer Relations

All Replies
Official Employee

Pixelation is almost always caused by a signal issue, either there is interference on the line, or the signal strength is lower than it needs to be.

You would want to double check the coaxial connections both at the box and the splitter where the cable comes in, if you are still having issues, then we would want a technician to come out.

Pixelation is not going to be caused by the resolution settings on the TV

Comcast Nick
Supervisor
Executive Customer Relations
Regular Contributor

So pixelation can't be caused by an overworked HD box *smile*? From a computer point of view, if one unloads the box a bit, couldn't that allow the box a better chance of keeping the picture together?

Just a thought...I've reduced the resolution to 720p by using the HD box menu, and that's what the TV says that it's doing. I'll keep an eye on it and see how it behaves. You never know...looks pretty good at the moment.

Regular Contributor

No pixelation tonight, very unusual, watched HD for about 4 hours (sad, I know, but this is an experiment *smile*).  So I"ll leave it at 720p for the time being, and see what happens.  

It may be that there are less people watching TV on Saturday night, so more signal on the wire.  We'll see.

Silver Problem Solver

Comcastnick is right, you have a signal issue. The resolution has nothing to do with pixelation.

Also, the number of people watching TV has no effect on the cable signal.

Frequent Visitor

I have had the same problem for two months as of tommorrow. We've had 4 tech visits, numerous phone calls, and nothing has worked more than a few hours. We too are going with Dish or Direct TV this week unless Comcast is here tomorrow and they fix the dam thing. I was very nice to all the people i've spoken with so far but today I am irate. Picture and sound dropping out for up to 10 seconds at a time and sometimes back-to-back so really 20-30 secs with no picture or sound. I've had it.

Regular Contributor

I agree with you, but I doubt that Comcast will fix it, from my experience.  I'd be interested in hearing where you end up, please come back and post here again.  After all, it doesn't cost any less for crappy TV than it does for perfect TV, so why put up with it when there are alternatives.  DirecTV is one that I'm seriously considering.

As to the comment about more signal on the wire for me if less people are watching, that was intended as a joke.

On the other hand, changing the resolution that I'm asking for out of the HD box could actually make a difference, if the box is having trouble keeping up with signal variations, less data to process.  Although Comcast tells me my signal is fine (of course), I'm open to trying a variety of things to see if I can gain some insight.

Or I'll go to DirecTV...we'll see how things go.  Currently favoring DirecTV over Dish since I read that Dish is a very unhappy place to work and I don't want to support that.

Regular Contributor

I would just like to add that switching to 780p resolution from 1080i seems to have solved my problems. I got immediate results from doing that, which makes a strong association, but it isn't conclusive, of course.  I've had virtually no pixelation issues since then on HD (or SD).  I don't know if these problems have just stopped for the moment, or if what I did really fixed it, time will tell.  But things have been great here for the last 2 weeks, no problems to speak of. Which is much better than the problems that I was having every couple of minutes.  

On the other hand, I also had re-booted my HD box, but had the same problems with the box shortly after doing that. I suppose the reboot may have started a process that over a little while straightened things out. If that was the case, this new HD box is not like my old box where I saw immediate improvement after rebootiing, so I tend to think that wasn't the answer.

We'll see, but clear for the moment.  And on my TV, there is no difference that I can see between 1080i and 780p, other than the lack of pixelation.

Regular Contributor

Just checking in for likely the last time on this one.  All is good with 720p, no pixelation or other problems on HD since switching, looks really good.

So if you're having problems, give it a try and see how it goes.  Can't get worse, can it?

Update 1/31/2014:  Still no pixelation at 720p, I don't expect to see any.  Good thing that lowering the resolution on my TV can't fix this issue, because it has *smile*.  HD cable box is apparently much happier at 720p than it was at the higher resolution, and I can't tell the difference on my 37" LCD TV.

New Poster

You are correct about the signal issue however if the cable coming into the house and to your box are RG19 it will not carry the bandwidth with the new signals. Check the cable to make sure it is RG6 as it is printed on the cable. If not RG6 replace it and ou should see a vast improvement. Houses that were wired when Comcast came into the market may have the old cable RG19. Why Comcast does not tell you this is still a mystery!
New Poster

Or the cable is RG19 and not RG6; which would be a simple fix.
Frequent Visitor

Well I finally got fixed a couple months ago I guess. Fixed by accident that is. I saw a bucket truck working down the stret on an issue completely unrelated to mine and went and talked to him. When I described the issue I and our neighbor was having he checked some things, replaced a flaky circuit board up on the telephone pole several houses away and voila. Fixed. I wish Comcast had more than a handful of knowledgeable employees.

Regular Contributor

Re: HD pixelation...the rest of the story

Well, the pixelation finally came back after about a year.  With a vengence on a couple of HD channels, and I had visions of it spreading.  So I called Comcast, and had them come out.  I think that we were on the hairy edge relative to signals.  When it was solid, it was really solid, just "a little less" and I had pixelation. Since I live by the ocean, "a little less" signal is easy to get, with salt in the air.

The Comcast tech measured the signal back from the TV, and figured out how many splitters and all.  First is a two-way between TV and internet.  I think that Comcast put in that splitter to get the best internet signal to my cable modem.  Then a three-way for our TV's.  I think that there's a dead cable in there, since only two cables connect all our TV's, so I'll get into that some time since less splitting gives you more signal on the cables that are left. That would be nice.  Didn't think of it yesterday in the effort to solve the problem at hand.

Anyway, the tech ended up putting an amplifier at the TV that's even MoCA compatible (we use MoCA for Roku at my HD TV).  Everything was solid after that, no pixelation.  Apparently the amplifier is designed to automatically compensate for the splitters.  I set the resolution back to 1080i on the TV, which doesn't look any different than 720p on a 37-inch TV to me, and it was all still solid.  

So I'm hoping that the amplifier is the final solution.  Only having one HD TV makes things easier, since that's the only one having these pixelation problems.  So just one amplifier at this point.  And the picture is consistently great on the HD TV.

New Poster

Your post helped us solve a long time problem and frustration.  Thank you for posting this information. We changed one wire to the RG6 and suddenly could view almost every channel.  We will be getting an amplifier to help on top of this change.