Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

HD picture is too big

Frequent Visitor

HD picture is too big

On all of my HD channels the picture is too big to fit my tv screen. I'm not able to see game scores or info crawlers at the top or bottom of the screen. Ive changed picture size in every way possible and it does nothing to help. I must change back to regular non HD tv if i want to see a complete screen shot. What is the solution? If there isn't one then i guess having HDTV is useless isn't it?

Expert

Re: HD picture is too big

What cable box do you have, and how is it connected to the TV? HD channels should display perfectly on an HD TV, assuming it is connected using HDMI or component cables and the output of the HD cable box is configured properly.
Frequent Visitor

The box I recieved when I got the HD srevice says RNG110 and is connected to the back of the TV with an HDMI cable. Thats about the best  info this non techie guy can give. Should I call Comcast and find out if someone can test it for me? I was just taking a shot with the forum to see if there was an easy fix or if someone else had the same issue as me. Gotta get this fixed before football season is here. If I can't see the score at the top of the screen I'll go crazy!

Expert

Try turning off the cable box with the remote (TV on) and selecting "Menu" on the remote to bring up display options. Make sure 16:9 display is selected, along with an HD resolution, such as 720p or 1080i.
Frequent Visitor

screen size 16:9, 1280x720

Frequent Visitor

No change

Expert

Is there a zoom or size button on the TV's remote?

Frequent Visitor

yes

Frequent Visitor

pic sizes available are 16:9,4:3,WideFit,Screen Fit.

Frequent Visitor

i have screen cut off on all of those on all HD channels only. Zoom function is available with 1080i/720 which doesnt apply to me apparantly

Frequent Visitor

I myself just received a new HD cable box from Comcast - the same model too: RNG110.  The same problem is happening to me!  The HD channels are too big for the screen, as if I had my TV on Zoom, which I don't.  My TV is set to 16:9.

When I watch DVDs on the same TV using a DVD player that upconverts to 1080i, the movies play perfectly, so I know my TV is OK.

I've got another older HD box from Comast which works just fine with another TV.  I'm going to swap it with the RNG110 to prove, or not, that the RNG110 is the problem.

Comcast, are you reading these posts?

Neil

Frequent Visitor

I just now performed my experiment.  I replaced my questionable RNG110 with a known working Motorola DCT3412 from Comcast and I used the same TV on which I was having the problem.

The DCT3412 works perfectly!  ...And, as was stated, the RNG110 does not!

Comcast?  Any thoughts?  Is there perhaps some hidden setting on the RNG110 that needs to be changed that only Comcast techs know about?

Thank you,

Neil

Frequent Visitor

OK ... I've found the problem and the solution.

On the remote control that comes with the RNG110 there are 53 buttons: some of them of finger tip size and some are tiny buttons about one fifth the size of a finger tip.  On one of these tiny buttons, in print that my tired eyes could only read with the help of a magnifying glass, it says "HD Zoom".  By clicking on this button, my HD image was cycled from normal to zoom to extra-zoom and back to normal.

Problem solved.

I'd bet money that other people will have this problem, just as IndyAndy did and just as I did.

Frequent Visitor

In the interest of being complete, let me add this.

Pressing the HD Zoom button while watching an HD channel will cycle through 3 settings:

1) Normal HD

2) Expand the HD image horizontally

3) Zoom the HD image both horizontal and vertically

Neil

Frequent Visitor

Thanks Neil!!!! I HAVE MY SANITY BACK Now I can watch my games without switching to non HD channels just to see the score. I love an easy fix. On another note...... Thats a dumb button to put on a remote, that function should be hidden away in the menu somewhere.

New Poster

Thanks for posting this, I was having the same problem and couldn't figure it out.  Must have sat on the remote and changed the setting.

New Poster

I have been having the same MADDENING problem for weeks, can't wait to go home and check out this fix!!!

New Poster

When I press the hd zoom button it dont change anything. the picture on some hd channels are still to big!! How can I fix it????

New Poster

The HD zoom button fixed the problem for me.  Thanks!

New Poster

That did not work for me either(the HD zoom button), but I remembered my buddies daughter being over the other day and she was messing with the cable box buttons.  I had to hit the "format" button on the cable box a couple times and it cycled through and fixed it. 

New Poster

none of this is working for me.....cant take it

Frequent Visitor

Thanks!

I also wasn't aware of this button.

Playing with it and the TV's settings i can now set the TV normal for some programs (like old movies) and then set the comcast to enlarge the video to fill the vertical.

NEAT!!!

Thanks again!!!!

New Poster

@Neal_Salem_MA:

You are right on! There IS the little zoom button on the bottom right corner of the remote.

Thank you for your simple and accurate fix.

New Poster

Thank you very much i have been dealing with this problem for way to long.

New Poster

THANK YOU!  Yes, I was yelling.

Last week, for 3 days, we lost cable and internet.  I couldn't even get a human to answer at Comcast.  Their message said they were "working on the problem".  What terrible service.  When I finally got a person they could not fix my lost cable and internet so I made an appointment for a tech visit.  He was very good but after he left we noticed that the picture looked wider.  Not as wide as the WIDE setting but definitely wider.  Thankfully I found your post.  The HD Zoom button did the trick.

Frequent Visitor

It's amazing to me that almost a year after I posted this its still helping people. Just glad I could help out!