Community Forum

HD Cable Box Issue, black screen

New Poster

HD Cable Box Issue, black screen

We recently got an HD Cable box to watch tv in HD, but I can’t seem to get it to work. When I plug in the HD cable box to the TV with an HDMI cord, the screen is black. There is no picture, not even the program guide (there is sound b/c I have an optical). Right now, I have the cable box plugged in using a 3-prong, but I would really like to get the HD cable working with the HDMI cord, because I’m paying extra money for the HD box.

Here are the things I have tried to troubleshoot:

• I thought the problem may have been with the cable box, so I returned it and got a new one. This did not solve the problem.

• I thought the problem was with my T.V. I checked the HMDI ports using a different device (Blueray Player). They worked fine.

• I thought the problem was with the HDMI cord. I tried a different cord and this did not solve the problem.

• I thought maybe my TV wasn’t an HD TV after all (I have a Sharp LCD, 32 inch). But I pressed menu after turning off the box to get to that weird menu screen, and 1080i and the other HD numbers are checked.

• I thought maybe my TV needed its firmware updated. I updated it from the Sharp website; this did not help the problem.

This is strange, because I know the cable box is working (I can hear it), and I know the TV is compatible to HD TV (b/c I checked the menu and the Blueray works). Why isn’t the picture coming up? What am I doing wrong here?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: HD Cable Box Issue, black screen

Sara_Carroll wrote:

We recently got an HD Cable box to watch tv in HD, but I can’t seem to get it to work. When I plug in the HD cable box to the TV with an HDMI cord, the screen is black. There is no picture, not even the program guide (there is sound b/c I have an optical). Right now, I have the cable box plugged in using a 3-prong, but I would really like to get the HD cable working with the HDMI cord, because I’m paying extra money for the HD box.

Here are the things I have tried to troubleshoot:

• I thought the problem may have been with the cable box, so I returned it and got a new one. This did not solve the problem.

• I thought the problem was with my T.V. I checked the HMDI ports using a different device (Blueray Player). They worked fine.

• I thought the problem was with the HDMI cord. I tried a different cord and this did not solve the problem.

• I thought maybe my TV wasn’t an HD TV after all (I have a Sharp LCD, 32 inch). But I pressed menu after turning off the box to get to that weird menu screen, and 1080i and the other HD numbers are checked.

• I thought maybe my TV needed its firmware updated. I updated it from the Sharp website; this did not help the problem.

This is strange, because I know the cable box is working (I can hear it), and I know the TV is compatible to HD TV (b/c I checked the menu and the Blueray works). Why isn’t the picture coming up? What am I doing wrong here?

Hello,

It sounds like the box is not activated. You will have to call comcast 1-800 comcast and provide them with the serial numbers etc. from the back of the box.

New Poster

The box is activated. I spoke with a Comcast tech and read them the numbers. They sent a signal to activate it. This did not work. They even sent a signal to restore the box to default settings. And that did not work either. I was instructed to return the box again for a new one if the picture doesn't come up, but this is my second box, and I'm beginning to think the box is not the problem.

Silver Problem Solver

Hello,

I would try this first unplug the tv and the set top box for a couple of minutes. I would turn the tv on and then be sure your tv is set to the default channel (my area is channel 3).

After waiting a couple of minutes if you don't see anything try calling comcast again and have them send another signal.

You can also try the component cables because sometimes the hdmi cables can be troublesome.

If that does not help then you might need to call comcast and have a tech come out.

Silver Problem Solver

So what box is it?  Is it a motorola 3400?

Try hooking it with component cables and see if it works.  If it does turn the box off and press menu and go into the settings of the box and see if there is an option to enable the hdmi.