Community Forum

HBO Go on Tivo

Regular Visitor

HBO Go on Tivo

Pretty much the only thing I care about in Xfinity's OnDemand feature is my HBO subscription.  Now I cannot see that thru my TiVo.  I tried to use the HBO Go app on the TiVo and even hat is blocked by Xfinity.  What's the story on that?  I pay for HBO, I should be able to view it as I please, and that means thru my TiVo.

Contributor

Re: TiVo vs VOD

I'm sure you are about to get the standard reply from them on the many tedious and ridiculous ways you can do this that require you to spend more money.   It boggles the mind how inconsistent their policies are for this stuff and how many hoops they make their customers jump through to do anything.  They truly despise their customers.

Contributor

@Jim-in-Andover wrote:

Pretty much the only thing I care about in Xfinity's OnDemand feature is my HBO subscription.  Now I cannot see that thru my TiVo.  I tried to use the HBO Go app on the TiVo and even hat is blocked by Xfinity.  What's the story on that?  I pay for HBO, I should be able to view it as I please, and that means thru my TiVo.

While I agree that should be true, it’s really never been the case. You’re paying for a license to view HBO through whatever means Comcast allows. We’ve always had the insufferable Digital Rights Management stuff that keeps one from copying things from a Tivo to another Tivo or a desktop. And there’s the crazy “we’ll download from your Tivo to your mobile device, but we’ll delete the oriiginal when you do it.” And, keep in mind, it’s actually a felony under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act to try and use these recordings in the same way one used to be able use video tape. 

For whatever reason, we’ve all simply accept these restrictions as the way it is when it shouldn’t be like that at all.  

Official Employee

Jim-in-Andover, Thanks for taking the time to post on this thread on the Forums. Are you able to view HBO Go on their website via your current XFINITY Credentials?  Are you getting an error message when attempting to login? Have you reached out to TiVo support regarding the app issues?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

I have not tried to use HBO Go on their website or any other platform.  I have not contacted TiVO.  When I tried to log in thru the TiVo app, when I entered Xfinity, it told me that this cable provider does not support this platform (i.e., TiVo).

Regular Visitor

HBO Go not supported by Xfinity on TiVo

https://help.hbogo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011127933

Regular Visitor

I just chatted online with an Xfinity rep who gave the same silly answer that because Tivo uses outdated technology, Tivo and Comcast agreed to disable HBO Go.  What a crock.  I think I will contact HBO.

Official Employee

@Jim-in-Andover wrote:

HBO Go not supported by Xfinity on TiVo

https://help.hbogo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011127933

Correct. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

@Jim-in-Andover wrote:

I just chatted online with an Xfinity rep who gave the same silly answer that because Tivo uses outdated technology, Tivo and Comcast agreed to disable HBO Go.  What a crock.  I think I will contact HBO.

Apologies for the information that our chat agent provided, that is the answer for On Demand availability from Comcast on TiVO, but not the most accurate answer for the question that you asked about HBO Go. 

Comcast provides access to HBO GO on multiple platforms (see below) but not currently on TiVo devices. 

HBO GO
Stream over 1400 of your favorite HBO programs on your computer and select mobile devices, tablets, streaming players, game consoles and connected TVs. Comcast customers who also subscribe to Cinemax receive multiplexed channels with their subscription.

HBO GO is now available on the PlayStation 4,  Xbox One, Kindle Fire, Roku, Apple TV, Samsung TVs, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV and Amazon Fire TV Stick.

Comcast is continually evaluating new platforms to support for the Online TV Partners like HBOGO.

To access HBO GO and watch content, customers will need to sign in with their Xfinity username and password.

Contributor

Comcast is going out of their way to make access difficult for those who don't want an X1.  One option is to buy your access for any premium channel somewhere else.  You will likely pay less or the same and have much easier access.   You can safely downgrade your services I think without affecting any contract you might be in and spend that money directly with HBO or with something like an Amazon channel.

Regular Visitor

I got HBO Go working on my Samsung Smart TV last night, so now I have it despite Comcast's attempts to thwart me.  I believe the Samsung technology is as old or older than TiVo, so there goes that excuse from Comcast.

Gold Problem Solver

@ComcastTeds: Above you wrote:

HBO GO is now available on the PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Kindle Fire, Roku, Apple TV, Samsung TVs, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV and Amazon Fire TV Stick.

But https://help.hbogo.com/hc/en-us/articles/204870507 says:

Support for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 was discontinued on January 8th, 2019.

Which statement is correct?

Official Employee

@BruceW wrote:

@ComcastTeds: Above you wrote:

HBO GO is now available on the PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Kindle Fire, Roku, Apple TV, Samsung TVs, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV and Amazon Fire TV Stick.

But https://help.hbogo.com/hc/en-us/articles/204870507 says:

Support for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 was discontinued on January 8th, 2019.

Which statement is correct?

Apologies, I updated the info above. Thanks.  

New Poster

Re: HBO Go on Tivo

I 100% agree.  Xfinity needs to pick one or the other.  HBO GO has not worked - if ever but we could access HBO on their Xfinity App - FINE.  Now they dropped the Xfinity App AND we still do not have access to HBO GO?  What difference does it make?  I can record these shows and watch them later.  Why not improve or maintain the customer experience and leave things alone!?!   If ever I wanted to drop Comcast period, this might be the time.  

What is being done about this?  I am sorry but TiVo not meeting security updates blah blah blah is a very poor excuse.  Why not work with them and stop reinung the customer experience.  You are treating your customers like a bunch of chumps.