Community Forum

Guide &/or picture stays frozen

Regular Contributor

Guide &/or picture stays frozen

I would have searched for this but didn't know what terms to search for.

On my upstairs tv SONY KDL-32S5100 I have a HD Cable Box Pace RNG110 using HDMI. I have the same cable box on my Sony tv (diff model) downstairs too. But just on my upstairs tv, sometimes when I use the guide to pick another channel the previous channel picture freezes on the right ¼ side of the screen and the current new channel is squished on the rest of the screen.

Or sometimes when I use the guide, the guide will stay frozen across the bottom and the current channel will be squished above it.. And if I hit the guide again it will show above the frozen one so it will be on twice.

I exchanged the cable box for another one (the same model) and it still does it. I still am using the actual same remote controller, could it be the remote? It doesn't happen all the time or consistently at certain times so I don't want to have anyone come out because of course it won't do it then. But it does happen at lot.

I have to use the LAST button several times and jump back and forth and it will eventually clear it. Or turn it off and on.

I hope this makes sense and you know what I'm describing. Anyone else with the same problem? Is it the cable box or the tv? I called Comcast once and she never heard of it but said it sounded like the box and not the tv.

New Poster

Re: Guide &/or picture stays frozen

Am in Help section just for that reason. I have Sony 52 LCD. Channel 106 frozens since last night...and with Dr Phil's mug on it to boot. Tried unplugging TV to "reset"...no good. DVD player works fine. Using the remote to change channels works...I can see the numbers on the DVR box change, and the sound changes, too...just not the picture. Co-worker thoguht I might have a "still" button on my remote that I might have pushed by accident. He also suggested I pull the DVR plug while powered on to "reset" it. Next will try to hook cable directly to TV to narrow problem to the "box"
Silver Problem Solver

your probably having a hand shake issue with your tv and the hdmi port.  Try hooking up the tv with component cables and see if that makes a difference.  There will be no quality loss as the output to the tv from the box is 1080i.

New Poster

Thanks rog. Tried switching out HDMI cables, and no luck, but will try the "multi-colored jacks" option you speak of.
Regular Contributor

Hakeman......That sounds like a different problem than mine.  You should have started your own question.  My question is still unanswered.  I can change channels it just sometimes freezes the previous channel on the right 1/4 of the screen and squeezes the current channel in the rest of the screen.

Silver Problem Solver

its not the remote. Have you unplugged the box and plugged it back in.  That fixes a lot of problems like this.

Regular Contributor

Yes.  And I even exchanged the box.  After reading the previous reply I plugged the HDMI cable into a different TV port and it still does it.  It's very weird.  I've been searching and haven't seen this exact same problem. 

Silver Problem Solver

volvogirl

Your tv may need a firmware update. Check this link http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-list.pl?mdl=KDL32S5100

Regular Contributor

THANKYOU, THANKYOU, THANKYOU, THANKYOU, THANKYOU, THANKYOU!!!!!!!

I have been posting all over the internet in different forums looking for this answer.  I don't know why I didn't think to check at Sony before.  The fixes do sound like it addresses my problem and I do need the update.  Can't wait to try installing it now!  Boy, what else in my house needs to have software updates installed?  Everything is getting so high tech.  What about my toaster, lol?

Thank you for finding the update for my model!  I guess I'll check my other Sony TV for updates, but it's working fine as far as I know.  Where can I send you a basket of cookies or something?

Silver Problem Solver

Cookies would just make me fat. Your thanks is enough

Glad to have been of help. Hope it does help you.

Good luck

Regular Contributor

OK I did it.  It was easy to do.  We think the HD picture even looks better!  Time will tell if it fixes my problem.  Also when I got the tv from Best Buy Dec 09 I got a free Sony Soundbar with it.  I never could get it to work right and synch up with the tv power on and off.  So I gave up and it's just been sitting on the floor.  Sounds like this update may address that issue too. 

So once again I thank you!

Regular Contributor

Aw Shucks!  Nope, it's still doing it.  Well at least the colors are brighter and more vivid and sharper.  Looks better than my 37" Sony.  Any other ideas I can try?  Did I say that when I once called Comcast, she thought it was the box and not the tv.  Oh, I know I need to try a different HDMI cable.  It wouldn't be the remote controller, would it?  When I exchanged the cable box I kept the same remote.

New Poster

btw - with power on, i unplugged comcast's dvr, waited 60 sec, plugged it back in, and frozen picture was gone.  All is good. 

Silver Problem Solver

have you tried it with component cables?

Regular Contributor

Update.....Finally switched to component cables from HDMI.  That fixed it.  But when I change the channel it takes a lot longer to switch.  Now I have to get another component cable for my dvd player that I switched to the cable box.  I guess I'm not getting any downgrade in video in using component rather than HDMI?