Community Forum

External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expander)

Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

@LA06 wrote:

Thanks srgdw107, I checked the s/w version and a30 is there.  Maybe I'll call Comcast back later today.  Thanks for your help!

Apologies for the issue you reported. Thanks for sending your information over via Private Message.

There seemed to be a communication issue from our cable headend location to your DVRs. That communication issue should now be resolved and your external hard drive should work now. Can you try it tonight and let me know?

Thanks for bringing this problem to my attention so we could get it resolved and thanks for your patience.

EDIT: Just to add that I heard back from this customer and all is working as expected now.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

Hi Ted!  Just picked up my brand new DCX3400 today.  Any clue when this functionality will roll out to Utah?  I'm assuming "all areas" does include people in Utah? Smiley Happy

Official Employee

@Spyderweiss wrote:

Hi Ted!  Just picked up my brand new DCX3400 today.  Any clue when this functionality will roll out to Utah?  I'm assuming "all areas" does include people in Utah? Smiley Happy

Hello!  As mentioned earlier in this thread the DCX 3400 and DCX 3400M models are not currently supported for the external hard drive feature. We continue to work with Motorola and Western Digital on a resolution before we can  support that feature with these models. We expect that to be this year.

As I get new information I will be sure and post that in this thread. 

All areas (including Utah!) are currently scheduled to have this feature activated and available in early 2013.

Thanks for your patience.  

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

anyone else having the DVR lock up and reboot while either watching from or recording to the external drive?

Valued Contributor

What is the DVR model and brand you are using when you are having these issues? Are you using an external drive and if so what type, brand?

Frequent Visitor

Hi

I went to my local comcast office in Woodbury NJ (gloucester county) and they had a bunch of older DVRS and had no idea of the newer one.  I asked about the 3400 and they knew nothing about it.  I was at a house my son is buying over in Media Pa (a much more upscale area) and the seller who will be moving and they have what seems to be a newer 3400.  Will comcast allow me to take it from this guy and go over to the commcast office and get it turned in for the seller and reissued to me as the new user?  A strange request but I want a newer model that will have much more internal capascity and the esat port.

Perhaps Comcast Teds or another other comcast person could comment on this.

Thanks

Jim

Frequent Visitor

@MikeWolf wrote:

What is the DVR model and brand you are using when you are having these issues? Are you using an external drive and if so what type, brand?

yes external, WD drive but generic enclosure not the approved mybook. so i dont expect any official support, hoping someone with a mybook had seen this happen also

Valued Contributor

I'm sorry but you can't take the man's DVR from his service area in PA and put it in you're system in NJ. Each DVR is specifically registered to the particular area it is supplied for, by serial number, RF Mac address, and other factors. The local Comcast offices don't have the capability to alter this information due to theft prevention (ie in case a rouge employee/customer wants to sell the boxes illegally I'm guessing). However if both you and the other customer lived in the same area, such as the same town, it might be easier to arrange as in my case I was able to transfer a DVR on my Grandfather's account onto my own by returning it to the office, having it taken off his account, then have it issued onto my account.

I'm really sorry about the position you're currently in and hope that your area will soon gain newer equipment. I know that the equipment warehouse was flooded during the hurricane which is why equipment supplies are temporarily so low. Currently the 3400 isn't officially supported for use with an external drive so you  may not gain any benefit in having an 3400 anyway aside from the possible larger internal drive.

Valued Contributor

One problem that you would be having is if the WD drive you are using isn't an AV drive since a regular computer drive it's not designed for video and audio playback the way the AV drives are.

What type of DVR are you using? Brand/model? Perhaps the DVR isn't supported to use an external drive yet, such as the DCX3400 which is still under testing.

Frequent Visitor

@MikeWolf wrote:

One problem that you would be having is if the WD drive you are using isn't an AV drive since a regular computer drive it's not designed for video and audio playback the way the AV drives are.

What type of DVR are you using? Brand/model? Perhaps the DVR isn't supported to use an external drive yet, such as the DCX3400 which is still under testing.

DCT3412 gonna order the official mybook

Valued Contributor

Check out the MyBook AV from Bestbuy, it's a great price and works perfectly and super quiet Cat Very Happy

Regular Contributor

External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlan​ta/Cisco DVRs

Word was external hard drive support would be implemented February 12 in Pennsylvania. I'm in Philly and have a Motorola DCH3416. How will the eSATA connection be enabled? Does it require a Comcast service person to set it up?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlan​ta/Cisco DVRs

This is the official comcast thread for that.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/External-Hard-Drive-Support-for-Motorola-Scient...

no you do not need a tech to do anything, you just plug the drive in and it should be recognized.

Official Employee

@barbaramag3156 wrote:

Word was external hard drive support would be implemented February 12 in Pennsylvania. I'm in Philly and have a Motorola DCH3416. How will the eSATA connection be enabled? Does it require a Comcast service person to set it up?

The e-SATA activation will be pro-actively completed for all DVRs in PA, NJ and DE for Tuesday, February 12th. You do not need to call in. No service visit is required. The port will be enabled automatically.

The DCH 3416 is a supported DVR. Enjoy and thanks for your patience.

Frequent Visitor

Any update on when Northern Illinois willl be activated?

Official Employee

@Anon69696969 wrote:

Any update on when Northern Illinois willl be activated?

I don't have a date just yet that I can share for this feature activation in Illinois and the South Bend area of Indiana. I should be able to provide an update for this area and some additional locations over the next two weeks.

Most Valued Poster

I  ordered a WDBACS0010HBK-NESN directly from Western Digital.  It took about a week and a half for them to ship the drive and I have to say that I'm not impressed with the build quality.  The case is cheap and the power port aligns poorly enough with the hole in the case that I wasn't sure that I would be able to connect the cable from the power adapter.   That said, setup couldn't have been easier.  I plugged in the power adapter, connected the power cable to the drive, connected the eSATA cable ot the drive, then to the back of the DVR, which was already powered up.  A few seconds later, a message appeared on the screen asking me to confirm that I wanted to format the drive.  Formatting didn't take long, then I checked the percentage of disk space used and it had dropped by roughly 9-fold, as expected, given that my DVR has a 120 GB internal drive.  Nice.  Info regarding the external drive now appears on page 3 of the DIAGNOSTICS -> d13 DVR/HDD STATUS pages that can be accessed by pressing OK on the remote just after powering off my Moto DVR.

Regular Contributor

Is there a "Firm" date for the Atlanta, Ga market to receive the A30 guide?  I have my WD Drive ready to connect....

Thanks.

Valued Contributor

Rardin, you seeing the external hard drive temperature right?

Most Valued Poster

If I recall correctly, although model and serial numbers are being reported properly, temperature info for the external drive is not being reported.

Valued Contributor

hmm interesting. A user in Cape Cod has a Motorola DCX3400 with an external drive attached that's reporting the temp.which is why I asked.

Official Employee

@rardin wrote:

I  ordered a WDBACS0010HBK-NESN directly from Western Digital.  It took about a week and a half for them to ship the drive and I have to say that I'm not impressed with the build quality.  The case is cheap and the power port aligns poorly enough with the hole in the case that I wasn't sure that I would be able to connect the cable from the power adapter.   That said, setup couldn't have been easier.  I plugged in the power adapter, connected the power cable to the drive, connected the eSATA cable ot the drive, then to the back of the DVR, which was already powered up.  A few seconds later, a message appeared on the screen asking me to confirm that I wanted to format the drive.  Formatting didn't take long, then I checked the percentage of disk space used and it had dropped by roughly 9-fold, as expected, given that my DVR has a 120 GB internal drive.  Nice.  Info regarding the external drive now appears on page 3 of the DIAGNOSTICS -> d13 DVR/HDD STATUS pages that can be accessed by pressing OK on the remote just after powering off my Moto DVR.

Thanks for the feedback. Apologies for the shipping delay you mentioned.

I shared your feedback directly with the Western Digital team and the core Comcast team on this project. I am checking with Western Digital on the shipping delay that you reported above.

Glad to hear that you had no issues getting the drive to work with your DVR.

Frequent Visitor

MikeWolf wrote:

hmm interesting. A user in Cape Cod has a Motorola DCX3400 with an external drive attached that's reporting the temp.which is why I asked.

How has his overall experience been? I have an external drive waiting to go, but I only have DCX-3400s which is not officially supported yet.

Official Employee

@TurnerBrewer wrote:

Is there a "Firm" date for the Atlanta, Ga market to receive the A30 guide?  I have my WD Drive ready to connect....

Thanks.

A30 guide is one of a few required elements for the external hard drive feature to be activated in each area.

I don't have a firm date just yet that I can share for the guide and the external hard drive feature activation in Atlanta. Atlanta is currently scheduled to be ready for both the guide and the external hard drive feature in March. 

I should be able to provide a better update for this area and some additional locations over the next two weeks.  

Valued Contributor

I'm suprised there was such a delay in your order rardin.  That shouldn't ever have happened but I assume that because of the overwhelming popularity, inventory could have dipped. Let's not forget that these same drives are also supplied to Verizon, TiVo, DirecTV, Dish, and a whole bunch of other cable providers, as well as to retailers both online and in store.

I ordered all of my My Book AV's from Bestbuy and because I have this Silver rewards thing they shipped it next day delivery for free. I didn't notice the kind of poor build quality like what you mentioned and am suprised because it's a good product. I personally like the Seagate DVR Expander however.

Most Valued Poster

The shipping delay definitely irritated me.  They told me more than once that it would ship "today or first thing tomorrow," but it didn't.  I guess they must be selling quite a few of these drives to Comcast customers.  By the way, the drive shipped in a generic brown cardboard box with no documentation, not a typical glossy WD retail box.

Official Employee

@rardin wrote:

The shipping delay definitely irritated me.  They told me more than once that it would ship "today or first thing tomorrow," but it didn't.  I guess they must be selling quite a few of these drives to Comcast customers.  By the way, the drive shipped in a generic brown cardboard box with no documentation, not a typical glossy WD retail box.

Western Digital is looking into the issue with the shipping delay on your device. Apologies that you experienced that delay.

There should have also been documentation from Western Digital that came with the package. I will get that document and add that information here for others.  

Frequent Visitor

Yeah- I got a bit of a the runaround with WD on shipping-- "It's not in stock, but will be in later today" was the tune for several days.  They did log all my calls, so I'll give them points for not having to repeat myself, and they took responsibility and waived the overnight shipping for their mixup.  Still-- it was very tempting to go cheaper with Best Buy or Amazon, but I decided I really wanted to get the EXACT model # specified by Comcast as supported.  Of course, MikeWolf did quite a bit of follow up (see above) and seems to have established no difference in the different models.

Valued Contributor

@BSTNFAN wrote:

@MikeWolf wrote:

How has his overall experience been? I have an external drive waiting to go, but I only have DCX-3400s which is not officially supported yet.

I haven't heard any complaints from him. I mean as Ted has said before that model is not officially supported quite yet so mileage will vary. Just as long as that's clear and customers are aware that they may experience inconsistant performance, I'd think it would be something to try. Worst that could happen is they purchase the expander and have to wait a little bit till it is officially supported.

Valued Contributor

dsheldon999 what's really cool is that due to the overwheming popularity of this product, WD started using SATA revision 3.0 - 6 Gbit/s hard drives instead of SATA revision 2.0 - 3 Gbit/s. I've spoke to both Cisco and Motorola and was told that all their DVR's, even the DCX series and Cisco's 8600 series use SATA revision 1.0 - 1.5 Gbit/s

Most Valued Poster

Much appreciated, Ted.  Thanks.  The documentation probably isn't that necessary.  The drive truly was plug-n-play.  I definitely can't complain about the functionality.

Contributor

I'm in central Pa and have the WD Mybook Av dvr entender. Tried it every day since 2-12 and get an "08 Alert" message when I connect it to the DVR. Has there been a change in the update status for PA?

Official Employee

@twheale wrote:

I'm in central Pa and have the WD Mybook Av dvr entender. Tried it every day since 2-12 and get an "08 Alert" message when I connect it to the DVR. Has there been a change in the update status for PA?

Apologies for the issue you described above. The team is reviewing your account to see what the issue could be. I see a Motorola DCX 3400 on your account, is that the DVR that you have connected to the external DVR device?

Currently the DCX 3400 is not a supported DVR for the DVR expander feature.  

Valued Contributor

What's funny is that according the Motorola technical support, none of their DVR's support external hard drives except for the DCX 3400 and DCX 3501-M

Official Employee

@MikeWolf wrote:

What's funny is that according the Motorola technical support, none of their DVR's support external hard drives except for the DCX 3400 and DCX 3501-M

The Motorola team is well aware of the current issue with the DCX 3400 and the DCX 3400M and the external hard drive feature. That team is working to provide a solution.

A full list of Motorola branded compatible DVRs that have passed Comcast, Western Digital and Motorola testing are included at the our website:

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/external-dvr-storage

Motorola DVRs
DCT6412
DCT6416
DCT3412
DCT3416
DCH3416
DCH6416
DCX3501 
RNG200N
Cisco/SA DVRs
SA 8000
SA 8010
SA 8300
SA 8000HD
SA 8010HD
SA 8300HD/HDC
Cisco RNG200
Cisco RNG200N

Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, it is the dreaded DCX3400 DVR.  In reading other posts I thought I would be able to use it (with the possibility of some issues). I did phone customer support with no success. She suggested I swap it out for another box. Something I am not willing to do at this point.

The expander is obviously recognized because I get the 08 Alert message. 

I can wait it out, but I am anxious to add to my DVR capacity.

Thanks again.

Official Employee

@twheale wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, it is the dreaded DCX3400 DVR.  In reading other posts I thought I would be able to use it (with the possibility of some issues). I did phone customer support with no success. She suggested I swap it out for another box. Something I am not willing to do at this point.

The expander is obviously recognized because I get the 08 Alert message. 

I can wait it out, but I am anxious to add to my DVR capacity.

Thanks again.

The Alert 08 Message indicates that the e-SATA port is not activated. The local team is sending a refresh signal to your account and boxes that should resolve that specific authorization issue later today.

As you know, the DCX 3400 models have been "use at your own risk". Some customers have had no issues, others have reported boxes locking up. We currently have these DVRs listed as unsupported until there can be a more consistent experience.

The Motorola team has been able to reproduce some of the issues we encountered during our initial testing. They continue to investigate the issue and will be working on a solution. Thanks for your patience.

Regular Visitor

I am located in western Pennsylvania and am seeing the same Alert 08 message on a DCX3400 as of today. Phone support said keystone region was not upgraded yet. I would appreciate any information. Thanks.

Valued Contributor

Thank you Ted.

Contributor

I did hear from Comcast twice last night, but they were unable to resolve my issue. I was told they would try something else today and get back to me

Official Employee

@jkara wrote:

I am located in western Pennsylvania and am seeing the same Alert 08 message on a DCX3400 as of today. Phone support said keystone region was not upgraded yet. I would appreciate any information. Thanks.

Thanks for letting me know your experience. I am checking into this now. Thanks for your patience. 

EDIT: My apologies, I provided an incorrect date for areas of central and western PA for when this feature will be activated. It is scheduled to be activated next week, on March 1. Thanks for your understanding.

Official Employee

@twheale wrote:

I did hear from Comcast twice last night, but they were unable to resolve my issue. I was told they would try something else today and get back to me

Thanks for letting me know your experience. I am checking into this now. Thanks for your patience. 

EDIT: My apologies, I provided an incorrect date for areas of central and western PA for when this feature will be activated. It is scheduled to be activated next week, on March 1. Thanks for your understanding.

Contributor

OK, thanks

I'll wait until March 1st and see what happens.

I'll let you know if the issue is resolved.

Frequent Visitor

Is eastern PA, Delaware County supporting the external hard drives.  The "Select Markets" link on the Comcast website is no longer working.

Official Employee

@murraygorson wrote:

Is eastern PA, Delaware County supporting the external hard drives.  The "Select Markets" link on the Comcast website is no longer working.

Yes, this feature is active in the Philadelphia area and surrounding suburbs. Thanks for letting me know about the broken link, the teams corrected that just now.

http://media2.comcast.net/anon.comcastonline2/support/help/faqs/xdvr/External_DVR_Launched-Markets_2...

Official Employee

Just to add that our next locations that are currently scheduled to have the external hard drive feature activated are listed below. These areas are currently scheduled for the week of March 4. Thanks for your patience.
Chattanooga, TN
Nashville, TN
Knoxville, TN
Savannah, GA
Huntsville, AL
Mobile, AL
Hattiesburg, MS
Meridian, MS
Houma, LA
We intend to activate all areas in early 2013. The activation is done on a site-by-site basis. As additional areas are confirmed, we will update that information in this thread.  

UPDATE: The above sites are now scheduled for the week of March 18th. Thanks for your patience.

Regular Visitor

Does early 2013 mean by March 31?  Inquiring from Chicago, IL.

Official Employee

@rtompiech wrote:

Does early 2013 mean by March 31?  Inquiring from Chicago, IL.

The majority of our locations are expected to have this feature available by the end of March.

We do have some locations that have moved out to April due to other business and customer facing priorities.

I don't have a date for the Chicago area that I can share just yet. 

New Poster

ETA on Portland, OR / Southwestern, WA ?

Contributor

I am still receiving the "08 Alert" in central PA even though the feature is supposed to be active in Pa as of 2-18-2013.