Community Forum

External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expander)

Official Employee

Re: Upcoming Bundled Guide release (A31) Motorola set tops [ Edited ]

@BBQLover wrote:

Approx. one year ago I purchased the WD DVR Expander and hooked it up to a DCT6415 and everything worked well for almost a year. Three weeks I set down to watch a recorded program and received a message that said " External drive not connected. Please connect Drive 1" Alert 12. I tried everything to get the DVR to talk to the WD drive. I even took the DVR in and swapped it out for another. They gave me a DCX3400 witch has a 500GB drive. Great! Plugged in the WD Expander and nothing, no communication. Called WD support and they had me try several things. They decided to send me another DVR expander. Received it two weeks ago and plugged it in and everything worked fine for two weeks and then this morning I got a repeat of the message " External not connected etc". Called WD, they are sending another HD.

This is my question. Is the DCX3400 causing this frequent disconnect or is it software updates to the DVR in the middle of the night? I have A30 at this time.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Apologies. The external hard drive may be tied directly to the original device that is was connected to.

External DVR Storage FAQs http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/external-dvr-storage-faqs

I replaced my Comcast DVR with a new one. Will I be able to access my recordings stored on my external hard drive on my new DVR?

Once your external hard drive has been formatted with a specific DVR, it cannot be used to watch recordings on another DVR. If you plug your external hard drive into your new DVR, you will be prompted to reformat the external hard drive, which will erase all of your recordings.

Alert 12 indicates that the drive is not connected. 

Playback of Externally Stored Recordings while Drive is Not Connected
1. Access the Interactive Programming Guide’s DVR Recordings List. Your Interactive Programming Guide will display both your internally and externally stored programs within the same DVR Recordings List.

2. Select a recorded program and follow the normal process for initiating playback of the selected recorded program.

3. If the recorded program is stored on an external drive that is configured for use with your cable box but is not currently connected, you will be prompted to connect the appropriate external drive to begin playback. 

I have seen issues with the e-SATA cable itself, have you tried to remove that and then reconnect? 

Have you tried to unplug the external drive from the DVR (unplug the e-SATA cable) and then remove power from the cable box and the external DVR? Then plug the devices back in again to power and then connect the e-SATA cable. The drive should be recognized and your recordings accessible after that. Please let me know how you make out.

As you noted, the DCX 3400 model is currently not supported until the rollout of the next bundled software guide release (A31). The DCX 3400 series has shown inconsistent results. Some customers have reported no issues while we have seen some lockups also reported.

The updated firmware that resolves this issue is expected to start deploying to DVRs starting this month.

One option may be to exchange your DVR for a model that is supported. Those are listed below:

Supported DVR Models:

The following models of Comcast DVRs support external hard drives with up to 1 terabyte of storage capacity.

• Motorola Comcast DVRs: DCH3416, DCH6416, DCT3412, DCT3416, DCT6412, DCT6416, DCX3501, RNG200N
• Cisco/Scientific Atlantic (SA) Comcast DVRs: Cisco RNG200, Cisco RNG200N, SA 8000, SA 8000HD, SA 8010, SA 8010HD, SA 8300, SA 8300HD/HDC

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

My current 1TB DVR Expander is pretty full. Once the A31 Bundled Guide has been released, will WD offer a "Comcast approved" 2TB DVR Expander and can I have two DVR Expanders swappable on the same DVR so that I can record to the new one, but swap the old one in to watch previously recorded shows?

Official Employee

@BSTNFAN wrote:

My current 1TB DVR Expander is pretty full. Once the A31 Bundled Guide has been released, will WD offer a "Comcast approved" 2TB DVR Expander and can I have two DVR Expanders swappable on the same DVR so that I can record to the new one, but swap the old one in to watch previously recorded shows?

Yes. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee
Moved:

Contributor

ComcastTeds

I hate to post this here,  however I can't get a straight answer on other forums for X1 system and external storage.  That forum has gotten so off topic it is worthless.  I am about to take my X1 system out and go back to the old system.  We keep hearing the cloud feature will fix the 500 gb of storage on the X1 system.  I have been told it does nothing to help with storage and doesn't increase your hard drive capacity.  We have also been told that it would be available in the Michigan area for this year.  I have seen multiple post stating we aren't on the schedule for 2015.  So what is the deal.  I keep getting told to get another X1 DVR.  Why should I put in another X1.  Pay another 17.99 a month to get 500 gb more of storage.  I will probably turn in my X1 system and go back to the old system.  I can put an external hard drive on that and not worry about deleting my programs.  I guess working thirds and watching a full Day+ of college football isnt' what comast wants.  Some of us want an honest answer.  Please give us a straight answer so we can make a decision as to stay, switch systems, or do what is right for our experiance.  I know I want to stay with Comcast, but I can go to other service provider and get the availability of increasing storage.  Yes some may charge for this feature,  however I would rather pay a little more and get what I want.  I only have 3 tvs and 2 tuners and 1 DVR.  Please answer the question below
1. Does the could increase storage?

2.Will we ever be able to add an external device

Official Employee
Moved:

Official Employee

External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (

@neilz wrote:

ComcastTeds

I hate to post this here,  however I can't get a straight answer on other forums for X1 system and external storage.  That forum has gotten so off topic it is worthless.  I am about to take my X1 system out and go back to the old system.  We keep hearing the cloud feature will fix the 500 gb of storage on the X1 system.  I have been told it does nothing to help with storage and doesn't increase your hard drive capacity.  We have also been told that it would be available in the Michigan area for this year.  I have seen multiple post stating we aren't on the schedule for 2015.  So what is the deal.  I keep getting told to get another X1 DVR.  Why should I put in another X1.  Pay another 17.99 a month to get 500 gb more of storage.  I will probably turn in my X1 system and go back to the old system.  I can put an external hard drive on that and not worry about deleting my programs.  I guess working thirds and watching a full Day+ of college football isnt' what comast wants.  Some of us want an honest answer.  Please give us a straight answer so we can make a decision as to stay, switch systems, or do what is right for our experiance.  I know I want to stay with Comcast, but I can go to other service provider and get the availability of increasing storage.  Yes some may charge for this feature,  however I would rather pay a little more and get what I want.  I only have 3 tvs and 2 tuners and 1 DVR.  Please answer the question below
1. Does the could increase storage?

2.Will we ever be able to add an external device

The cloud DVR feature that we offer today on our X1 platform does not provide any additional storage capacity above the 500 GB that is already part of the X1 DVRs internal hard drive. 

The packaging strategy for additional storage space via the cloud for X1 devices has not yet been announced.

Enabling the e-SATA port on the X1 platform for external hard drives is on the X1 product roadmap. There have not been timelines announced publicly for that specific feature.

I have shared your feedback above directly with our X1 Product Management team. 

You can have up to three separate true DVRs on your account with the X1 Platform to get you to 1.5 TB. That is an option, though agreed not an inexpensive one.  

Thanks again for your patience and feedback as we continue to work to improve the experience.

Frequent Visitor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (

Has the project to turn on the external hdd ability in the vast majority of Florida been shelved?  I have yet to see the $100 reimbursement that I demamded via this thread for the paperweight I bought in reliance on your promise to turn offer this service SIXTEEN MONTHS AGO when I first subscribed.  I continue to pay around $150 per month for the services of which I was told this extended hdd ability would be a part of.

Is it really so hard to do, or the do the technical folks just not care about getting this done?

What is going on, or where is my reimbursement for my wasted time and money?

Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@Glenn54 wrote:
Hello ComcastTed. Being as we're heading into August now, is the DCX3400 firmware fix still slated for sometime this summer or end of summer fall?

We still have plans to start to deploy this update to customers over the summer. It won't be out to all customers over the summer. 

Summer ends September 23. Thanks for your patience..  

This specific fix is part of a larger bundled software and firmware release. The specific fix is included in this upcoming release.

This bundled release has gone through our QA process and is in extended employee trials to validate all of the identified issues are corrected and new features work as expected so that we can deliver a better experience. 

This referenced upcoming release for our Motorola DVRs will also have support for external hard drives up to 2 TB.  

The geographic release schedule has not yet been announced and is subject to change. Thanks again for your patience and apologies it is taking as long as it is taking.   

OK, so we're officially out of summer..........ComcastTeds?????

Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

@Glenn54 wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@Glenn54 wrote:
HelloComcastTed. Being as we're heading into August now, is theDCX3400 firmware fix still slated for sometime this summer or end of summer fall?

We still have plans to start to deploy this update to customers over the summer. It won't be out to all customers over the summer. 

Summer ends September 23. Thanks for your patience..  

This specific fix is part of a larger bundled software and firmware release. The specific fix is included in this upcoming release.

This bundled release has gone through our QA process and is in extended employee trials to validate all of the identified issues are corrected and new features work as expected so that we can deliver a better experience. 

This referenced upcoming release for our Motorola DVRs will also have support for external hard drives up to 2 TB.  

The geographic release schedule has not yet been announced and is subject to change. Thanks again for your patience and apologies it is taking as long as it is taking.   

OK, so we're officially out of summer..........ComcastTeds?????

This update is currently scheduled to start in the Pittsburgh, PA area and Little Rock, AR area next week. Thanks for your patience.  The deployment schedule will continue site by site over a few months.

The geographic release schedule has not yet been publicly announced and is subject to change. Thanks again for your patience and apologies it is taking as long as it is taking.  

Official Employee

@kg33 wrote:

Has the project to turn on the external hdd ability in the vast majority of Florida been shelved?  I have yet to see the $100 reimbursement that I demamded via this thread for the paperweight I bought in reliance on your promise to turn offer this service SIXTEEN MONTHS AGO when I first subscribed.  I continue to pay around $150 per month for the services of which I was told this extended hdd ability would be a part of.

Is it really so hard to do, or the do the technical folks just not care about getting this done?

What is going on, or where is my reimbursement for my wasted time and money?

This project has not been shelved. There have been a series of unforeseen complications and issues in our Motorola areas of Florida. Apologies again. The activation for this area is still expected to occur this year. 

If you would like to return your external drive for a full refund, please let me know and I will assist with that. If you would like to get our X1 product, I can assist with that as well and waive your installation charges.

Thanks again for your patience. Please send me a PM (Private Message) if you would like assistance with any of the above. 

Private Messages (PM’s)

You can click on my name (ComcastTeds) and scroll down to a link that says “Send this user a private message”.

At the top of each Forum page you will see a small envelope

This is the icon for Private Messages, referred to as ‘PM’s’. A Private Message is a way to communicate in private, to another User, Moderator, or Administrator out of public view in the Forums.

The gray envelope icon will have a number next to it if you have any new messages waiting. 

To open a PM to read it, double click on the envelope. If you click on the white envelope a window will open with tabs for your Private Message Inbox, Sent Messages, Friends, Ignored Users, and Compose new Message. You can also access this area by clicking on the Username in a Thread or post. By default, Private Messages are enabled. You can disable this feature in My Settings>Preferences> Private Messenger.

Official Employee
Moved:

Valued Contributor

Where's the map?????????

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/external-dvr-storage/

Points to the a page that supposedly have a link to the Comcast Area; in fact, the page has the link get one to the SAME page as the link to Comcast DVR Model.

WHY?  HDD no longer supported???? by Comcast??????

Official Employee
Moved:

Official Employee

@citrus wrote:

Where's the map?????????

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/external-dvr-storage/

Points to the a page that supposedly have a link to the Comcast Area; in fact, the page has the link get one to the SAME page as the link to Comcast DVR Model.

WHY?  HDD no longer supported???? by Comcast??????

No map required. External hard Drives are supported as per the link above on the devices listed at the link above.

Your area of CA has this feature activated and working on the  DVR that you already have on your account....,the Motorola DCT 6412. All you need to do is connect the external drive via the e-SATA port and follow the on-screen instructions. 

New Poster

I purchased a WD my book av 1tb external drive about 7 monts ago. I have been using it to expand my dch3416 in the Detroit area but have recently encountered a problem. The cable box became slow/sluggish to respond and recordings began to develop artifacts. The problem got worse over the course of two weeks to where recording become so disrupted they were essentially unwatchable. Recordings from 4 months ago have developed the same artifacts/disruptions. Live television aslo presents witb problemz, but only after having tried watching a recording. We have removed the external hard drive and all of these problems have gone away. Was there an update in my area in the last month or so that could have caused this problem? If not what would you recommend I do?
Official Employee

@DJGIETZEN wrote:
I purchased aWD my book av1tb external drive about 7monts ago. I have been using it to expand mydch3416 in the Detroit area but have recently encountered a problem. The cable box became slow/sluggish to respond and recordings began to develop artifacts. The problem got worse over the course of two weeks to where recording become so disrupted they were essentially unwatchable. Recordings from 4 months ago have developed the same artifacts/disruptions. Live televisionaslo presentswitbproblemz, but only after having tried watching a recording. We have removed the external hard drive and all of these problems have gone away. Was there an update in my area in the last month or so that could have caused this problem? If not what would you recommend I do?

Apologies for the issue that you described above. I'm not aware of any Comcast updates in your area that would have caused what you described. 

I would recommend contacting Western Digital directly regarding your purchased device.   

Western Digital Customer Support:

•Support Website: Visit the Western Digital Service & Support website: http://support.wdc.com/

•US and Canada Western Digital Support Center: 1-800-275-4932
(Monday – Thursday 8:00 AM-9:00 PM CT or Friday – Sunday 8:00 AM – 7:00 PM CT)

•US Spanish Language Western Digital Support Center: 1-949-672-7199
(Monday – Thursday 8:00 AM-9:00 PM CT or Friday 8:00 AM – 7:00 PM CT)

Regular Contributor

An A31 update came through to my Comcast Motorola DCX3400-M AnyRoom DVR Host and DCX3200-M Terminal units early this morning October 23rd in Oregon.

Here is the new configuration info as shown on all my TV screens after the update:

S/W:  82.41 - a31.1407.r-2

F/W:  82.87

I hope this is the much discussed A31 bundled F/W and S/W update which we need for adding Comcast Motorola DCX3400 and DCX3400-M Expander compatibility (and also maybe 2GB Expander hard drive compatibility)?

With this A31 update described above, may I assume my DCX3400-M DVR Host and DCX3200-M Terminal units are now considered by Comcast to be compatible with the DVR Expander option? The current link to Comcast's Expander DVR compatibility list is dated from May 2014 and "does not" list the Comcast Motorola DCX3400 and DCX3400-M to be compatible as of yet.

May I also presume this same A31 update above maintains the eSATA port as "enabled" on the DCX3400 and DCX3400-M?

If a 2GB HDD Expander option is now supported with the A1 update I received early this morning,  when can we expect WD to also add a Comcast approved 2GB WD hard drive purchase option at the online WD Store's Comcast Expander purchase page found at the link below?

http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus/en_US/pd/productID.254791800/parid.13092300/catid.5926230...

i.e. similar to this WD Store page below for a 2GB Expander for use with another provider:

http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus/en_US/pd/ThemeID.21986300/productID.297092200/parid.13092...

Lastly, if the Comcast Motorola DCX3400-M is now considered compatible with the Comcast Expander option when using the A31 update I received this early morning, is there any risk of losing my currently saved content presently on my Comcast Motorola DCX3400-M's 500GB internal hard drive when plugging in a Comcast approved WD Expander hard drive?  This is a Comcast AnyRoom setup utilizing Comcast Motorola DCX3200-M terminal units.   I am presently 90% full on the DCX3400-M Host unit's hard drive and would really like to preserve my saved programs.

Thank you for your help.

Official Employee

@eecon1 wrote:

An A31 update came through to my Comcast Motorola DCX3400-M AnyRoom DVR Host and DCX3200-M Terminal units early this morning October 23rd in Oregon.

Here is the new configuration info as shown on all my TV screens after the update:

S/W:  82.41 - a31.1407.r-2

F/W:  82.87

I hope this is the much discussed A1 bundled F/W and S/W update which we need for adding Comcast Motorola DCX3400 and DCX3400-M Expander compatibility (and also maybe 2GB Expander hard drive compatibility)?

With this A1 update described above, may I assume my DCX3400-M DVR Host and DCX3200-M Terminal units are now considered by Comcast to be compatible with the DVR Expander option? The current link to Comcast's Expander DVR compatibility list is dated from May 2014 and "does not" list the Comcast Motorola DCX3400 and DCX3400-M to be compatible as of yet.

May I also presume this same A1 update above maintains the eSATA port as "enabled" on the DCX3400 and DCX3400-M?

If a 2GB HDD Expander option is now supported with the A1 update I received early this morning,  when can we expect WD to also add a Comcast approved 2GB WD hard drive purchase option at the online WD Store's Comcast Expander purchase page found at the link below?

http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus/en_US/pd/productID.254791800/parid.13092300/catid.5926230...

i.e. similar to this WD Store page below for a 2GB Expander for use with another provider:

http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus/en_US/pd/ThemeID.21986300/productID.297092200/parid.13092...

Lastly, if the Comcast Motorola DCX3400-M is now considered compatible with the Comcast Expander option when using the A1 update I received this early morning, is there any risk of losing my currently saved content presently on my Comcast Motorola DCX3400-M's 500GB internal hard drive when plugging in a Comcast approved WD Expander hard drive?  This is a Comcast AnyRoom setup utilizing Comcast Motorola DCX3200-M terminal units.   I am presently 90% full on the DCX3400-M Host unit's hard drive and would really like to preserve my saved programs.

Thank you for your help.

Yes, your area and most all of the Motorola branded cable boxes in the Oregon and western PA areas now have the updated bundled release (A31) that allows the Motorola DCX 3400 DVRs to work consistently with the external hard drive.

And yes, this updated release also allows for an up to 2 TB external hard drive to be supported (connected via e-SATA of course).

The update that your area received is only currently available in a few markets right now so we will likely wait a bit until we have a large portion of Comcast areas on this new code before we update the Western Digital website with a 2 TB model and option.

But yes, any WD external drive (or other manufacturer) that is 2 TB or less connected via e-SATA will now work in your area on the DVR that you already have. Thanks for your patience.

The DCX 3200 model is not a DVR and therefore is not supported for external hard drives. 

Regular Contributor

Thank you ComcastTeds for your prompt and very helpful response ...... eecon1

Contributor

Comcasteds anyway to know when the firmware bundle should reach the eastern region (Maryland)?
Official Employee

@Glenn54 wrote:
Comcasteds anyway to know when the firmware bundle should reach the eastern region (Maryland)?

We will update that information (A31 Bundled update) over in the thread below: 

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/Upcoming-Bundled-Guide-release-A31-Motorola-set...

The Pittsburgh area is complete. Oregon is almost complete as are significant areas of Arkansas (these two areas are expected to be 100% complete next week).

I don't have dates or other areas to announce just yet. Thanks for your patience. 

Regular Contributor

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@BSTNFAN wrote:

Yes. 

ComcastTeds:

Would such Expander external HDD swapability also apply to "Comcast AnyRoom" systems using the Comcast Motorola DCX3400-M DVR patched with the new A31 S/W and F/W bundled update?

My main concern would be if the Host's internal 500GB HDD saved content is preserved during a "swap" of Expander external HDDs?

Thank you for your help.

Official Employee
Moved:

Official Employee
Moved:

Contributor

In order to improve the customer experience, customer satisfaction, and thus customer retention, it would

D help if Comcast was able to port the recordings from a DVR and the associated external drive to a replacement DVR system.

Today, when a DVR's drive requires service or replacement, all legacy recordings are lost.  This is an issue which could be solved by Comcast providing such a service.  If the service were performed by Comcast in a controlled environment, copywrite issues should not be violated and this the data should be able to be retained.

Regular Contributor

@JR_VT wrote:

In order to improve the customer experience, customer satisfaction, and thus customer retention, it would help if Comcast was able to port the recordings from a DVR and the associated external drive to a replacement DVR system.

Today, when a DVR's drive requires service or replacement, all legacy recordings are lost.  This is an issue which could be solved by Comcast providing such a service.  If the service were performed by Comcast in a controlled environment, copywrite issues should not be violated and this the data should be able to be retained.

Amen to that ..... maybe someday.

However, I'm sure Comcast envisions cloud storage via the X1 system to be the future ..... and thus such legacy support for Expander system customers will probably never become a high priority.

Contributor

I have to make a comment about the x1 platform and the cloud based storage, the main reason I have not upgraded to that is just last summer my service was out for 3 days (line was done) I had no phone, internet or cable but with my dvr and external hard drive I was able to at least watch what was recorded and stored at home. I think that comcast needs to address the issues about restoring the recordings if a box is replaced and making the supported drive work with it.

Official Employee

@eecon1 wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@BSTNFAN wrote:

Yes. 

ComcastTeds:

Would such Expander external HDD swapability also apply to "Comcast AnyRoom" systems using the Comcast Motorola DCX3400-M DVR patched with the new A31 S/W and F/W bundled update?

My main concern would be if the Host's internal 500GB HDD saved content is preserved during a "swap" of Expander external HDDs?

Thank you for your help.

The external hard drive is "married" and formatted to the original DVR that it is connected to via the e-SATA cable.

Yes, you would be able to access any and all of your DVR recordings on the external drive on the (non-X1) AnyRoom DVR system. 

Anything on the internal DVR hard drive is not impacted. You are able to have multiple external hard drives formatted to a single DVR, but only one can be connected to the DVR at one time. I hope that makes sense. 

Official Employee
Moved:

Official Employee
Moved:

Official Employee
Moved:

New Poster

In the Jacksonville Florida area trying to add Western Digital AV to my Motorola Comcast DCX 3400-m cable box. I am receiving the 08 alert when the drive is recognized. Are any solutions available?
Frequent Visitor

Hi everyone,

We recently upgraded from the Motorola DCT 3416 to the DCX 3501m when the 3416 began to develop DVR problems and a Comcast technician determined it was equipment failure when he visited our home in Redwood City, CA.

After spotting the e-SATA port on the back, I eventually found this thread and purchased the recommended 1TB Western Digital expander drive.  It arrived arrived three days ago.  The drive was immediately recognized and formatted when I attached it to the DCX 3501m.

I am now experiencing problems.  I periodically experience 5-15 second delays in response while changing channels and switching to OnDemand that fall into two categories:

- I get an Alert 06 error window on the screen that says "Drive 2 is connected and ready for use" after the channel changes.

- I get an Alert 13 error window on the screen that says "Please disconnect the external drive from the cable box" after the channel changes.   After unplugging/re-plugging the external drive, I then get the Alert 06 error window above.

I have also noticed that some video on the screen appears to be what I can only describe as lower than normal frame rate (it looks choppy)  with the external drive connected, but the relationship of that to these error windows is unclear.

This hardly appears to be a reliable addition to the service if I cannot depend on the connection of my external drive to remain intact when I change channels or use OnDemand,

Ted

Regular Contributor

@Athansor wrote:

Hi everyone,

We recently upgraded from the Motorola DCT 3416 to the DCX 3501m when the 3416 began to develop DVR problems and a Comcast technician determined it was equipment failure when he visited our home in Redwood City, CA.

After spotting the e-SATA port on the back, I eventually found this thread and purchased the recommended 1TB Western Digital expander drive.  It arrived arrived three days ago.  The drive was immediately recognized and formatted when I attached it to the DCX 3501m.

I am now experiencing problems.  I periodically experience 5-15 second delays in response while changing channels and switching to OnDemand that fall into two categories:

- I get an Alert 06 error window on the screen that says "Drive 2 is connected and ready for use" after the channel changes.

- I get an Alert 13 error window on the screen that says "Please disconnect the external drive from the cable box" after the channel changes.   After unplugging/re-plugging the external drive, I then get the Alert 06 error window above.

I have also noticed that some video on the screen appears to be what I can only describe as lower than normal frame rate (it looks choppy)  with the external drive connected, but the relationship of that to these error windows is unclear.

This hardly appears to be a reliable addition to the service if I cannot depend on the connection of my external drive to remain intact when I change channels or use OnDemand,

Ted

Before doing anything else, try a different eSata cable from the 3501m to the WD HDD. 

If no change, then redo the entire setup process by repeating the reformatting of the new WD drive again using the new cable .... I think the re-reformating option is in one of the hidden menus.  Someone else here can hopefully chime in and better describe this process.

If that does not work, exchange the 3501m.

Lastly, if still no change, return the WD HDD to WD for a warranty exchange.

My bet is it's probably a defective eSata cable (which may or may not require reformatting of the WD HDD).

Frequent Visitor

Thanks, eecon1.

I'm skeptical of the e-SATA cable hypothesis.  I initially tried attaching a Seagate DVR Extender to the 3501-m before trying the WD unit and saw much the same behavior. 

Replacing the cable and/or re-formatting the drive is a cheap fix, however.  I can certainly give it a try.

Regular Contributor

@Athansor wrote:

Thanks, eecon1.

I'm skeptical of the e-SATA cable hypothesis.  I initially tried attaching a Seagate DVR Extender to the 3501-m before trying the WD unit and saw much the same behavior. 

Replacing the cable and/or re-formatting the drive is a cheap fix, however.  I can certainly give it a try.

If you observed the same behavior with a Seagate HDD using the same eSata cable you used for the WD HDD, then I'd probably first try a simple reformat experiment with that same cable.   If that doesn't work, retry using a different cable just for the process of elimination.

In any event, before you start accumulating lots of saved programming you plan to keep long term, I'd probably invest in a new high quality eSata cable to add a bit more protection for all your future recorded programming ..... I've seen many of the cheap eSata cables packaged with HDDs, etc. go bad for no reason after a year or two.   That type of a future event could risk (but not necessarily) a complete reformatting of the system.

Frequent Visitor

@eecon1 wrote:
If you observed the same behavior with a Seagate HDD using the same eSata cable you used for the WD HDD, then I'd probably first try a simple reformat experiment with that same cable.   If that doesn't work, retry using a different cable just for the process of elimination.

In any event, before you start accumulating lots of saved programming you plan to keep long term, I'd probably invest in a new high quality eSata cable to add a bit more protection for all your future recorded programming ..... I've seen many of the cheap eSata cables packaged with HDDs, etc. go bad for no reason after a year or two.   That type of a future event could risk (but not necessarily) a complete reformatting of the system.

Both the WD and Seagate kits come with their own e-SATA cables.   I'm two-for-two when it comes to problems if you look at it from a cable perspective.

Contributor

The main problem with the X1 platform is the lack of storage space. Comcast doesn't see this as a problem. They think people will be happy with the cloud service. I have since changed in my X1 system for an old style because I could add an external drive. The cloud system doesn't add storage. I was able to get my local comcast office to exchange boxes. I loved the x1, but 60 hours of HD recording just sucks. I wanted to stay on the X1 system, but to have 3 whole home DVRS to match what I can do with one old system is stupid. I get they are all connected, but you also pay extra. Why isn't customer satisfaction part of the companies idea. Instead they will brag about the ondemand. That is great, however it isn't all free.
Regular Contributor

@neilz wrote:
The main problem with theX1 platform is the lack of storage space. Comcast doesn't see this as a problem. They think people will be happy with the cloud service. I have since changed in myX1 system for an old style because I could add an external drive. The cloud system doesn't add storage. I was able to get my local Comcast office to exchange boxes. I loved thex1, but 60 hours ofHD recording just sucks. I wanted to stay on theX1 system, but to have 3 whole homeDVRS to match what I can do with one old system is stupid. I get they are all connected, but you also pay extra. Why isn't customer satisfaction part of the companies idea. Instead they will brag about theondemand. That is great, however it isn't all free.

I agree that the DCX3400M and DCX3501M dual tuner AnyRoom systems coupled with an HD-DTA recording 2 channels while watching a 3rd (via the HD-DTA), all simultaneously, more than meets my needs ..... especially now that Comcast supports a large 2TB Expander HDD which gives us a total of 2.5TB of recording space.

BTW, I remember having one B/W TV in the living room, 4 OTA channels and no remote control for our whole family of seven growing up during the late 1950's.

Frequent Visitor

@eecon1 wrote:

I tried a third cable without the re-format, no change.   I'll need to figure out what we lose by re-formatting the disk before I go that far.

Official Employee
Moved:

Official Employee
Moved:

Regular Visitor

I see a lot of posting about the A31 firmware and the WD 2TB external drive.  But my question is what firmware do I need for 

the WD 1TB drive extender to work in CA?

Motorola DCX3400 DVR

s/w = 80.48

f/w = A30.1210.r-27

Model = ASTB-0x0805

Official Employee

@ddelrosso wrote:

I see a lot of posting about the A31 firmware and the WD 2TB external drive.  But my question is what firmware do I need for 

the WD 1TB drive extender to work in CA?

Motorola DCX3400 DVR

s/w = 80.48

f/w = A30.1210.r-27

Model = ASTB-0x0805

A31 is required (where A30 is listed above) in order to support a 2 TB external drive. Currently that update is available in Pittsburgh, Portland and Little Rock. We have additional areas to be scheduled for this update through early 2015.

A 1 TB drive (or smaller) will  work with that device now on A30 (in your area).

However, we have seen inconsistent results with the DCX3400 model in our labs and employee testing when connected to an external hard drive. Some observations included boxes locking up. This required a box reboot (unplug and re-plug AC power) in order to restore video service. This is not a desired or intended customer experience.

Other customers and testers reported no issues. Due to the very inconsistent behavior and a potential for the DVR to lock up, the DCX 3400 is not currently on our list of supported devices for this feature until the A31 update is available in your area.

Certainly, now knowing the identified risk that I outlined, one could attempt to try it out with that known caveat.

If it works for you, then you may not need to swap the DVR out for another model. If it doesn't work to your satisfaction, then a DVR swap may be in order.

Our teams (along with Arris, the new name for the former Motorola cable box division) have identified and resolved this particular issue and have a bundled firmware and software update (A31) to address this. That update has already started to deploy and is available now in the areas that I listed above.

Thanks for your patience.

Official Employee

@Athansor wrote:

Hi everyone,

Ted

Apologies for the delay in responding, I have asked a few other colleagues to review and to respond.

I don't think it is the firmware. Are you able to connect the external drive to a laptop or PC to see if it is recognized and connectivity is established? As you said, that will rule out the cable and the external drive as the issue.   

Alert 06 is a "success" message, but you should only see that message one time once the external drive is connected and formatted (or reconnected).

I have seen a similar issue one time where the e-SATA port on the DVR was bad (damaged) that ended up being the root cause. 

As I mentioned I have asked a few others to review, but I am also leaning towards the DVR or the e-SATA port on the DVR being the culprit in this case. Thanks for your patience.

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastTeds wrote:
Apologies for the delay in responding, I have asked a few other colleagues to review and to respond.

I don't think it is the firmware. Are you able to connect the external drive to a laptop or PC to see if it is recognized and connectivity is established? As you said, that will rule out the cable and the external drive as the issue.   

Alert 06 is a "success" message, but you should only see that message one time once the external drive is connected and formatted (or reconnected).

I have seen a similar issue one time where the e-SATA port on the DVR was bad (damaged) that ended up being the root cause. 

As I mentioned I have asked a few others to review, but I am also leaning towards the DVR or the e-SATA port on the DVR being the culprit in this case. Thanks for your patience.

Ok, I can try to connect my WD drive to my PC at home using its cable.   I already tried this with a Seagate DVR Extender.  The drive and cable worked flawlessly.

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@Athansor wrote:

I connected the WD drive to the eSATA port on my PC at home.   It was detected immediately as a 1 TB WDC drive with unknown partition label (as I have nothing that can read GPFS.)

That seems to go toward ruling out the drive and the cable.

Official Employee

@Athansor wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@Athansor wrote:

I connected the WD drive to the eSATA port on my PC at home.   It was detected immediately as a 1 TB WDC drive with unknown partition label (as I have nothing that can read GPFS.)

That seems to go toward ruling out the drive and the cable.

I would look at swapping out the DVR then as that appears to be the issue. 

Please give us a call at 1-800-COMCAST and we can arrange to ship you a replacement DVR, have a technician come out and replace it or you can swap out your box at the local service center listed below.

999 Edgewater Blvd Suite E
Foster City, CA 94404
Monday-Saturday 9:00am-7:00pm.

New Poster

WD DVR Expander & DCT3416 LOST RECORDINGS & NO DVR

I recently purchased a WD DVR Expander thru Comcast  for my DCT3416.

Made sure to check that this device is supported for my STB box and in my local area (MA) prior to purchase.

Purchased directly thru link on Comcast to further ensure compatibility.

When I hooked it up, not only did it not expand my available recording space, it made all of my existing recordings disappear  (90% full)  and I can no longer use the DVR at all !!#$%%&!!

I never got any startup formatting querys.

(btw there was ZERO documentation in the box, only a receipt with return label on the back)

I am extremely unhappy.

~ 6-8 tech support calls over the past week with zero improvement. Multiple refreshes, resets. reboots, power downs etc.

2 of my tech support calls were "pushed" to Western Digital without even telling me. GRRRR!

Since the DVR function doesn't work at all they couldn't help me troubleshoot.

I can still "see" the list of my recorded programs on the iPhone app, and on my desktop, but I can't "send them" to watch on the TV. The app says a compatible STB DVR device was not found.

A technician is scheduled to come out on Saturday.

I expect the internal HD got messed up and my recordings are toast :-((((

I only hope that the tech can at least restore DVR functionality for the Superbowl.

He'll probably have to swap me a new box.

ANY advice / Suggestions?

Thanks for listening