Community Forum

External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expander)

New Poster

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

Ted, thanks for keeping us appraised.

 

The 12/19/12 update says that external hard drive support should be enabled for zip code 31406 in Savannah, GA.  I still have S/W Ver: 78.53 - A28p0-4.1005.r-8 on my DCT3416.  Any ideas on when I can expect to see the update?

 

VIncent

Regular Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

The 12/19 update states that zip code 30224, Griffin Ga should have the update. My guide version is still 78.54 - a28p4.1005.r-6 Firmware 24.55 Receiver - Motorola RNG200N. When will the update take place?
Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@BocaJesse wrote:

I keep trying to get information on the external drive support for the CISCO RNG200N and when it will be available in Boca Raton, FL.  It worked for me for over 2 years on the Cisco RNG200 yet it stopped working with the guide on the RNG200N needed to run Any Room DVR.  I basically lost functionality despite the fact that I was told by tech support that it would work the same way with the new "upgraded" cable box.  My questions are:

1. What Cisco / SA guide version do I need to receive support for the external (eSATA) drive?

2. When will that version be coming to Boca Raton, FL?

3. Will that come with DVR Manager support?

 

NOTE: My RNG200N states in the tech screen that it has on screen guide 1.7.5.1003.  I'm not sure what that translates to but it seems that no one at Comcast seems to know what functionality maps to what boxes in what markets on what guides.  Maybe I need a secret decoder ring???


Apologies for the delay in responding as I was on vacation over the holidays.

For the Cisco RNG 200 and RNG200N you would need to have any version of the traditional "blue" on-screen guide for the external hard drive feature to work today. 

 

I don't have a current schedule for the DVR Expander feature to be ready for our AnyRoom DVR customers that have a Cisco RNG 200N DVR. Once I do I will be able to add that information to this thread.

 

Some good news is that the Cisco RNG 200N DVR that you have now does have a 500 GB hard drive and does already support DVR Manager.


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola DVRs (DVR Expander)


@BSTNFAN wrote:

I see that the DCX 3400 is still not on the list of supported devices. Can you give an update on the progress of the testing and evaluation?


The DCX 3400 is still being tested. The DCX 3400 series will likely need a Motorola firmware update later this year in order for it to work better with the DVR Expander. Firmware updates are typically less intrusive and can be targeted to the specific set top box type. Once I have a better time frame for that I will be sure and update this thread. Thanks for your patience.


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola DVRs (DVR Expander)


@sammsterling wrote:

Hi Mr Teds, this is a bit off topic, but not really.  first the on topic question.  the link that you provided points to a PDF supposedly about availability.  it does not answer any question like that.  so i live in Broward County, FL (motorola country) and am wondering when this area will be upgraded to have this external drive working with a DCX3501-M.  i do hate to bother you with this question, but the info is not available on the link provided.  


The DVR Expander feature is only currently available in the Motorola areas that are posted on that link (currently Indiana, Michigan, western Ohio and now Augusta, GA) and of course all areas where we use Cisco and Scientific-Atlanta branded DVRs. 

More Motorola areas will be announced as they are available and all areas are expected to be available in early 2013. Thanks for your patience.

 

Let me address your other questions in another thread, thanks.


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@SClayton1932 wrote:

Ted,

 

I have a Motorola RNG 200 N, live in Utah, MC ARD SN: MT1227TNCZ06 -- a  Motorola DCX3501-M - I think.

 

Is the linked WD external drive compatible with this cable box?  

 

I called Comcast support with this question and after being told the box cannot connect and then being told it can after I told the rep the box has an eSata port.  I wasn't filled with with confidence from the exchange.

 

Thank you for clarification.



As JayInAlg responded, yes the DCX3501 is compatible and the feature should be active shortly after we get the guide update deployed in your area (expected to be by the end of March 2013)..

 

I checked the link just now and all seems to be working.   


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola DVRs (DVR Expander)


@kab1 wrote:

 


@ComcastTeds wrote:

UPDATE:  

All Comcast areas of Michigan and Indiana are scheduled to have this feature available effective December 19, 2012.   


I live in the Northern part of Indiana and as of today still no A30.  Are they running a little behind?

Thanks.


I am looking into this now for your area of South Bend.

 


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola DVRs (DVR Expander)

Hi Ted

 

I am the one from So NJ that you told that the expander capability would be introduced in the first half of 13.  I am having enough symptions with my DVR that I know I need to swap it out.  It is a moto and I wondered if you could recommend which of the DVRs would be the best to shot for in a swap out.  I realize that I may not have the choice of all in your list but would like to find one that has latest capabilities.  One other question If I have a current flat screan hd tv can I just use a digital converter to get basic service with it?

Thanks

Jim

Clarksboro nj 08020

Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@VGBullDawg wrote:

Ted, thanks for keeping us appraised.

 

The 12/19/12 update says that external hard drive support should be enabled for zip code 31406 in Savannah, GA.  I still have S/W Ver: 78.53 - A28p0-4.1005.r-8 on my DCT3416.  Any ideas on when I can expect to see the update?

 

VIncent


Apologies, it looks like we jumped the gun a bit with that update and included some areas in GA and SC inadvertently. That should be corrected on Thursday and the information will be updated accordingly.

 

For now, the newest area is the Augusta, GA area that has this feature available .


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@TurnerBrewer wrote:
The 12/19 update states that zip code 30224, Griffin Ga should have the update. My guide version is still 78.54 - a28p4.1005.r-6 Firmware 24.55 Receiver - Motorola RNG200N. When will the update take place?

Apologies, it looks like we jumped the gun a bit with that update and included some areas in GA and SC inadvertently. That should be corrected on Thursday and the information will be updated accordingly.

 

For now, the newest area is the Augusta, GA area that has this feature available .


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola DVRs (DVR Expander)


@ComcastTeds wrote:

@kab1 wrote:

 


@ComcastTeds wrote:

UPDATE:  

All Comcast areas of Michigan and Indiana are scheduled to have this feature available effective December 19, 2012.   


I live in the Northern part of Indiana and as of today still no A30.  Are they running a little behind?

Thanks.


I am looking into this now for your area of South Bend.

 


I am part of the Greater Chicago region.

Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola DVRs (DVR Expander)


@kab1 wrote:

 


@ComcastTeds wrote:

UPDATE:  

All Comcast areas of Michigan and Indiana are scheduled to have this feature available effective December 19, 2012.   


I live in the Northern part of Indiana and as of today still no A30.  Are they running a little behind?

Thanks.


kab1, thanks for your patience as I looked into this issue for South Bend, IN. 

 

This one was my mistake and I have corrected it in the initial post and am updating the Availability information now on the other website to list the South Bend exception.  

 

South Bend is certainly 100% part of Indiana but it's assigned internally to our Greater Chicago Region. The rest of Indiana is part of our Heartland Region.

 

I interpreted the deployment schedule incorrectly. South Bend is currently targeted to get the new guide and the external hard drive support by the end of March. 

 

Apologies again for the the incorrect information and thanks for bringing this to my attention.

 


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola DVRs (DVR Expander)


@shirlock1 wrote:

Hi Ted

 

I am the one from So NJ that you told that the expander capability would be introduced in the first half of 13.  I am having enough symptions with my DVR that I know I need to swap it out.  It is a moto and I wondered if you could recommend which of the DVRs would be the best to shot for in a swap out.  I realize that I may not have the choice of all in your list but would like to find one that has latest capabilities.  One other question If I have a current flat screan hd tv can I just use a digital converter to get basic service with it?

Thanks

Jim

Clarksboro nj 08020


Hello Jim in Clarksboro - Any of the following should work just fine:

Motorola DVRs
DCT6412
DCT6416
DCT3412
DCT3416
DCH3416
DCH6416
DCX3501 
RNG200N

 

The DCX3501 and the RNG200N are the newest and have larger hard drives but that doesn't matter too much once you add the 1TB DVR Expander.  

 

All the DVRs above have the same on-screen guide and menu.

 

For your widescreen TV you can certainly use a DTA device to get basic service but you currently would not get HD video service from that device until the HD DTA device is available in New Jersey.

 

That should be later this year.

 


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

Do you have an ETA on when the Griffin, Ga (30224) market will receive the A30 update?

 

Thank you for the information

Regular Visitor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

The latest update now says:

 

The following areas where we use Motorola branded DVRs now have this feature available:

All Comcast areas of Michigan and western Ohio.

Most all Comcast areas of Indiana (except for the South Bend area).

Comcast areas in and around Augusta, Georgia.

Comcast areas in CT, MA, VT, ME, NY and NH are currently scheduled for the week of January 14.

 

When is Chicago scheduled for?

Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@TurnerBrewer wrote:

Do you have an ETA on when the Griffin, Ga (30224) market will receive the A30 update?

 

Thank you for the information


Expected to be by the end of March 2013 (at the latest).


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@rtompiech wrote:

The latest update now says:

 

The following areas where we use Motorola branded DVRs now have this feature available:

All Comcast areas of Michigan and western Ohio.

Most all Comcast areas of Indiana (except for the South Bend area).

Comcast areas in and around Augusta, Georgia.

Comcast areas in CT, MA, VT, ME, NY and NH are currently scheduled for the week of January 14.

 

When is Chicago scheduled for?


Expected to be by the end of March 2013. Thanks for your patience. .


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

Ted-I see NH will be able to use the DVR Expander soon.  I have the AnyRoom 500GB model (DCX3400?) and I see it's not on the list and I know you've discussed that Comcast is working on that box.  Any update on when that model will work with the expander?

Regular Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

Mr Teds, please can we have an update on the 4 tuner dvr pilot and the mpeg-2 vs mpeg-4 situation?  

 

also the posting dates in the forum seems to be messed up.  can you have someone investigate please?

 

thank you

Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@sammsterling wrote:

Mr Teds, please can we have an update on the 4 tuner dvr pilot and the mpeg-2 vs mpeg-4 situation?  

 

 

thank you


Moved that to a new thread. I and-or someone on the X1 team will be able to respond there. Thanks!

 

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/X1-Experience-DVR/td-p/1510837


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@g-mason wrote:

Ted-I see NH will be able to use the DVR Expander soon.  I have the AnyRoom 500GB model (DCX3400?) and I see it's not on the list and I know you've discussed that Comcast is working on that box.  Any update on when that model will work with the expander?


The DCX 3400 is still being tested. The DCX 3400 series will likely need a Motorola firmware update later this year in order for it to work better with the DVR Expander. Firmware updates are typically less intrusive and can be targeted to the specific set top box type. Once I have a better time frame for that I will be sure and update this thread. Thanks for your patience.


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@ComcastTeds wrote:

@g-mason wrote:

Ted-I see NH will be able to use the DVR Expander soon.  I have the AnyRoom 500GB model (DCX3400?) and I see it's not on the list and I know you've discussed that Comcast is working on that box.  Any update on when that model will work with the expander?


The DCX 3400 is still being tested. The DCX 3400 series will likely need a Motorola firmware update later this year in order for it to work better with the DVR Expander. Firmware updates are typically less intrusive and can be targeted to the specific set top box type. Once I have a better time frame for that I will be sure and update this thread. Thanks for your patience.


To clarify, is later this year mean November?  Also, is it worth giving it a shot to see if it works?  Is there a down side to trying it and it not working properly?

Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@g-mason wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@g-mason wrote:

Ted-I see NH will be able to use the DVR Expander soon.  I have the AnyRoom 500GB model (DCX3400?) and I see it's not on the list and I know you've discussed that Comcast is working on that box.  Any update on when that model will work with the expander?


The DCX 3400 is still being tested. The DCX 3400 series will likely need a Motorola firmware update later this year in order for it to work better with the DVR Expander. Firmware updates are typically less intrusive and can be targeted to the specific set top box type. Once I have a better time frame for that I will be sure and update this thread. Thanks for your patience.


To clarify, is later this year mean November?  Also, is it worth giving it a shot to see if it works?  Is there a down side to trying it and it not working properly?


I don't have a more specific timeframe that I can provide just yet for the DCX 3400 box being officially supported for the DVR Expander.

 

We have seen inconsistent results in our lab and in-home field testing with this specific box type which led to a Motorola firmware update being required to fully support.

 

That being said, I have read on other online forums where some Comcast customers are using the DCX 3400 with this DVR Expander. The e-SATA port is open in the supported markets on all the DVR types. 

 

Certainly up to you if you want to purchase the device and use it on an unsupported DVR.   


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

Can you tell me a date to enable the eSATA port on a Motorola DCT3416 DVR? I live in Saugus, MA.

Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@srgdw107 wrote:

Can you tell me a date to enable the eSATA port on a Motorola DCT3416 DVR? I live in Saugus, MA.


That feature is scheduled to be turned on in your area on Tuesday, January 15th. Did your drive arrive yet?

 

EDIT: Just adding that Comcast areas in CT, MA, VT, ME, NY and NH are all currently scheduled to have this feature activated the week of January 14 (Motorola branded DVRs).


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

That's great Ted, thanks! Yes, I have the WD 1TB My Book AV.

Frequent Visitor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

As a customer in the CT market-- I'm really looking forward to this enhancement..to the point that I'm going to come across as impatient:   How will I know next week when this feature is active?

 

Thanks for any insight (from a customer that seems to always be at 92% capacity!)

D

Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@dsheldon999 wrote:

As a customer in the CT market-- I'm really looking forward to this enhancement..to the point that I'm going to come across as impatient:   How will I know next week when this feature is active?

 

Thanks for any insight (from a customer that seems to always be at 92% capacity!)

D


The feature is scheduled to be turned on in CT on Tuesday, January 15th. You can plug in your external hard drive to the eSATA port on the back of the DVR and then you should see on-screen instructions (starting on the 15th). Enjoy!


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola DVD's (DVR Expander)

I am in Indiana and my DCT6412 did NOT work. Comcast has some major problems.  I upgraded to the new DCX3501-M and it does NOT work. Comcast, Western Digital, and I spoke today about the problem.  It's a Comcast problem.  The approved My Book DVR Expander is recognized by both DVR's, but they pop a msg on my TV that says my acct does NOT allow for external drives to be connected...Alert 08.  If Comcast would own up to the problem and STOP advertising this service when it's not supported it would save all of us a lot of grief.

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola DVD's (DVR Expander)


@JimSat wrote:

I am in Indiana and my DCT6412 did NOT work. Comcast has some major problems.  I upgraded to the new DCX3501-M and it does NOT work. Comcast, Western Digital, and I spoke today about the problem.  It's a Comcast problem.  The approved My Book DVR Expander is recognized by both DVR's, but they pop a msg on my TV that says my acct does NOT allow for external drives to be connected...Alert 08.  If Comcast would own up to the problem and STOP advertising this service when it's not supported it would save all of us a lot of grief.


Please post your town in Indiana.

New Poster

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola DVD's (DVR Expander)

Crown Point, IN

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola DVD's (DVR Expander)

Crown Point is part of the Chicago suburban system and the drive expander has not yet been deployed to any of the Chicago and suburban systems. 

 

Here's a link to the updates status here.

New Poster

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola DVD's (DVR Expander)

Thanks!  You would have thought Comcast could have told me that after:

1. 2 days of phone calls

2. 6 different Comcast employees

3. A total of 3 hrs telephone time

Regular Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola DVD's (DVR Expander)


@JimSat wrote:

Crown Point, IN


NW Indiana (and my city South Bend) is part of the Greater Chicago Region.  I have been told we will get the A30 update by the end of March

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola DVD's (DVR Expander)

Check you DVR, most of the Chicago region got the A30 in December, but that is only part of it.  It still needs to be enabled by Comcast after the A30 is deployed.

 

1st part, A30 guide, 2nd part enabling the esata port.

Regular Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola DVD's (DVR Expander)


@JayInAlg wrote:

Check you DVR, most of the Chicago region got the A30 in December, but that is only part of it.  It still needs to be enabled by Comcast after the A30 is deployed.

 

1st part, A30 guide, 2nd part enabling the esata port.


From what I have read once you have the  A30 software update the esata port is then enabled.   I did not know you have to call Comcast for this. Can someone verify?

 

Valued Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola DVRs (DVR Expander)


@JayInAlg wrote:

@kab1 wrote:

ComcastTeds,

 

 

Amazon is selling this 1TB expander  #WDBABT0010HBK-NESN.  Will this model work or do you have to have the specific model #WDBACS0010HBK-NESN from this link.

http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus/en_US/pd/productID.254791800/parid.13092300/catid.5926230...


That is the only drive certified for DVR expander use not just for the Cisco / SA DVR's but are supposed to work on the Motorola DVR's once the firmware is updated.  It will also work on Tivo's and some Satellite DVR's.


 

 

If you are interested in the Western Digital My Book AV DVR expander I would recommend checking out Bestbuy.com which is selling it for $99.99 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/WD+-+My+Book+AV+1TB+USB+2.0+and+eSATA+DVR+Expander/9958432.p?id=12182014...

 

Valued Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

For what it's worth I've tested the 1TB Seagate DVR Expander which also uses a eSATA port on several Cisco RNG200N DVR's and haven't had any problems.

From what I've found, Cisco RNG200N DVR's use two brands of hard drive, the Western Digital AV-GP family and the Seagate Pipeline HD AV family. These are the same hard drives found in the perspective companies' DVR expanders at the 1TB capacity.

Frequent Visitor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

I think I nit-picked a bit too much and paid more-- the link from the Comcast site says that the suggested  desired model was "WDBACS0010HBK-NESN".  

 

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/external-dvr-storage/ links to:

http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus/en_US/pd/productID.254791800/parid.13092300/catid.5926230...

 

 

 I saw various places list what I thought was the same name for the $99--- but the model was "WDBABT0010HBK-NESN".

 

I realize from other threads, that all sorts of other models appear to be working, and, from what you say, they probably have the exact same drive inside.

 

Anyways, I went with the model linked to from the Comcast site just to be "safe".

Silver Problem Solver

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

I wonder if the "CS" means Comcast. Basically, if you use any other model, Comcast can put the full blame on you.

 

Just because it has the same drive inside doesn't mean it's identical. There could be slightly different firmware on the drive.

Valued Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

I'm surprised  the prices are so widely varied. The exact same WD expander is for sale on TiVo's website for $199.99 which is twice the price. I honestly think that this whole "Comcast certified" thing is a marketing ploy so they can get kick backs, same as how TiVo puts their "TiVo Certified" stamp of approval on this same WD expander when it's because they have an agreement to only use Western Digital as their supplier of internal drives at lower cost. http://gizmodo.com/5254823/tivo-will-not-approve-or-even-test-seagate-showcase-and-other-dvr-expande...

 

It's possible that the slight difference in the part number is more for inventory purposes then anything else, such as the manufacturer or shipper would earmark those "CS" drives to go to Comcast's Store warehouse instead of to Bestbuy.com's warehouse.

 

I've been using the Western Digital expanders for several years now on my Cisco RNG200N, SA8300HD, and my new Cisco RNG200N which replaced the 8300 when it's internal drive failed. I've been using the original 1TB DVR expander (orange ring) when it was released April 22nd, 2009, the revisioned 1TB My Book AV DVR expander when it was released June 22nd, 2010 without a problem long before there was an "official" "certified" Comcast drive.

Frequent Visitor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

I'm sure I'll change my tune once I start taking the extra capacity for granted!  I probably would have paid 5X as much for the 1TB of storage.  With the Tivo elites (or whatever the model is) now having access to on demand content, I had considered shelling out a lot more than this drive to address the capacity issue.  I considered satellite since I found space issues so annoying. (FWIW- I would not consider myself a satellite "hater", just a little lazy to make a switch in providers and hardware).

 

And..I did pay the WD site list price for fear of a troubleshooting call with Comcast getting pre-empted with a "What's your model #?....Oh, well we only support the WDBACS0010HBK-NESN, so that it is probably your problem."

 

So-- give me a little time-- I'll be back asking questions about the X1 or whatever when I decide the U/I and motorola hardware is the next thing to complain about.

 

 

Valued Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

Any TiVo Premiere used in a Comcast area that it is available in http://www3.tivo.com/products/tivo-walkthrough/tv-source/cable/tivo-comcast/index.html, can access the Xfinity On Demand service, not just the Elite and XL4 http://pr.tivo.com/press-releases/tivo-and-comcast-team-up-to-offer-the-first-retail-nasdaq-tivo-075...

Valued Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

when will the a30 upgrade be available in the pittsburgh area?

Valued Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@medziatkowicz wrote:

when will the a30 upgrade be available in the pittsburgh area?


 

Info may be found here http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27468977-iGuide-A30

Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola DVD's (DVR Expander)


@JimSat wrote:

I am in Indiana and my DCT6412 did NOT work. Comcast has some major problems.  I upgraded to the new DCX3501-M and it does NOT work. Comcast, Western Digital, and I spoke today about the problem.  It's a Comcast problem.  The approved My Book DVR Expander is recognized by both DVR's, but they pop a msg on my TV that says my acct does NOT allow for external drives to be connected...Alert 08.  If Comcast would own up to the problem and STOP advertising this service when it's not supported it would save all of us a lot of grief.


Apologies for any confusion we may have caused. I wanted to confirm what some others have already posted here - the external hard drive feature is not yet active and turned on in the South Bend area.

 

We continue to activate new areas on a regular basis and we do publish a list of the Comcast areas where the feature is active. That information is provided in the initial post of this thread and also at the Western Digital website.

 

The feature is currently scheduled to be activated in your area of Indiana (South Bend aea) by the end of March 2013.

 

You can certainly either hold on to the external drive for now or return it to Western Digital for a refund. It will work on the DVRs that you mentioned (DCT6412 and DCX3501) once the e-SATA port is activated.

 

Apologies again for any confusion we caused.  


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola DVD's (DVR Expander)


@kab1 wrote:

@JayInAlg wrote:

Check you DVR, most of the Chicago region got the A30 in December, but that is only part of it.  It still needs to be enabled by Comcast after the A30 is deployed.

 

1st part, A30 guide, 2nd part enabling the esata port.


From what I have read once you have the  A30 software update the esata port is then enabled.   I did not know you have to call Comcast for this. Can someone verify?

 


The e-SATA port will be automatically updated for all DVRs in each market once the feature is turned on. There is no need to contact us to have the e-SATA port turned on.


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@MikeWolf wrote:

I'm surprised  the prices are so widely varied. The exact same WD expander is for sale on TiVo's website for $199.99 which is twice the price. I honestly think that this whole "Comcast certified" thing is a marketing ploy so they can get kick backs, same as how TiVo puts their "TiVo Certified" stamp of approval on this same WD expander when it's because they have an agreement to only use Western Digital as their supplier of internal drives at lower cost. http://gizmodo.com/5254823/tivo-will-not-approve-or-even-test-seagate-showcase-and-other-dvr-expande...

 

It's possible that the slight difference in the part number is more for inventory purposes then anything else, such as the manufacturer or shipper would earmark those "CS" drives to go to Comcast's Store warehouse instead of to Bestbuy.com's warehouse.

 

I've been using the Western Digital expanders for several years now on my Cisco RNG200N, SA8300HD, and my new Cisco RNG200N which replaced the 8300 when it's internal drive failed. I've been using the original 1TB DVR expander (orange ring) when it was released April 22nd, 2009, the revisioned 1TB My Book AV DVR expander when it was released June 22nd, 2010 without a problem long before there was an "official" "certified" Comcast drive.


Just to repost what I had posted earlier in this thread (on page 1):

 

Comcast DVRs currently only support external hard drives that provide up to 1 terabyte of storage capacity, and only the specified Western Digital external hard drive has been verified to work with Comcast DVRs.

 

Other external hard drives that are 1 TB or lower should work just fine but they have not been verified or tested by Comcast. I have seen in other online forums where customers have bought the drive that you referenced and they reported that it worked fine.

The bottom line is that we have tested and verified the Western Digital Drive model WDBACS0010HBK-NESN which is available at the link below:

 

http://store.comcast.com/my-book-av-dvr-expander/detail.php?p=442589&v=comcast_accessories

 

  

If you want to purchase a different e-SATA drive (1TB or less), you are welcome to do so at your own risk. I believe that this would be a limited risk. 

 

ADDED 1.14.13 > The e-SATA port is always turned on in Cisco and Scientific-Atlanta DVRs  - which are the DVR models that you have.

 

For our Motorola DVR's the firmware and software needed to be updated to support the feature. That is why we went ahead and used a known vendor and "certified" a specific drive and made it easy for customers to order.

 

For our Motorola areas, there is also some some work behind the scenes work required at each location that adds the activation code to all DVRs automatically.

 


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@medziatkowicz wrote:

when will the a30 upgrade be available in the pittsburgh area?


Pittsburgh area is scheduled to get the new guide update (but not the external hard drive support activation) this week.


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola DVD's (DVR Expander)

I have the A30 guide and it seems like the eSATA port is enabled.  When I turn on my external drive I get an Alert 08 screen on my tv saying my account does not allow the use of extral drives.  What does this mean and what has to happen for it to work?  I'm in Crown Point, IN.