Community Forum

External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expander)

Regular Visitor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

Thanks for your help ComcastTeds.  I really do appreciate all the information that you provide in these forums.

New Poster

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

As mentioned, CA is among the States that are due to 'upgrade/update' on DVRs to allow DVR expansion this month of April. Does this rollout to CA include STB MX011LAN (Motorola/Arris). the STB's XRE server version is 1.39.05  03/27/2014; XRE Prot version is 2.8.0

Contributor

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@Glenn54 wrote:

Hello Comcast Ted. Any word on the firmware update for DCX3400?

Yes, the fix to officially support the DCX 3400 models for the external DVR feature is part of a bundled software and firmware release that is already in employee trials.

Customer deployments of that bundled release are currently expected to start before the summer. Thanks for your patience.    

Hello Comcast Ted. Is the software bundle for the DCX3400 still on track to be available before summer?

Official Employee

@valcomp wrote:

As mentioned, CA is among the States that are due to 'upgrade/update' on DVRs to allow DVR expansion this month of April. Does this rollout to CA include STB MX011LAN (Motorola/Arris). the STB's XRE server version is 1.39.05  03/27/2014; XRE Prot version is 2.8.0

Apologies for any confusion. The update referenced in this thread is not for X1. The box you have is an X1 box. 

For X1 - We have started to use the cloud for DVR recordings in a few markets with more areas scheduled to be added. 

The X1 Experience will have a cloud DVR opportunity where individual DVR recordings are not stored on the in-home device. This cloud DVR experience would really negate the need for a limited and physically in-the-home hard drive and all boxes could be AnyRoom DVRs. Plus the opportunity to retain your DVR recordings should you move or you need to replace the DVR.

Once the DVR recordings are in the cloud, you can also view the recordings from any internet connected device.

You can get additional information on that feature at the link below: 

http://corporate.comcast.com/news-information/news-feed/comcast-launches-x1-dvr-with-cloud-technolog...

The opportunity for activating the e-SATA port on our X1 devices is on our feature roadmap. I don't have a timetable to announce just yet for that.

Thanks for your patience as we work to improve the experience.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

@Glenn54 wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@Glenn54 wrote:

Hello Comcast Ted. Any word on the firmware update for DCX3400?

Yes, the fix to officially support the DCX 3400 models for the external DVR feature is part of a bundled software and firmware release that is already in employee trials.

Customer deployments of that bundled release are currently expected to start before the summer. Thanks for your patience.    

Hello Comcast Ted. Is the software bundle for the DCX3400 still on track to be available before summer?

Yes, for some areas that is the current schedule.  

We have this release in employee trials now in a few locations and all is working quite well. Thanks for your patience.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Well, its been about 40 days now. Any update for south Florida?

Frequent Visitor

Same inquiry as above - Florida - we were again told within 30 days about 40 days ago.  Of course, we were also told within 3 weeks last May when I purchased the $100 hdd to use with my new cable service.  

Sometimes I wish I had never stumbled upon this forum when I was getting ready to activate my cable.

Is it any closer to reality this time?

Official Employee

@billybh wrote:

Well, its been about 40 days now. Any update for south Florida?

Our Florida team ran into another unexpected operational snag recently. Nothing insurmountable, but it did but create another wrinkle into the execution and activation schedule.

For background, a lot of our Florida cable systems were acquired from other video providers. The team is uncovering some non-standard situations that need to be remedied before this feature can be easily activated.  This is not meant as an excuse but more as an explanation. We are committed to getting this feature working in the remainder of Florida (areas where we use Motorola DVRs).

The right teams are actively engaged.  I expect to have some updated information from our Florida team soon.

They all understand the importance of this and the impact of the delays. I will certainly update you once I get additional information. Thanks again for your patience.

Official Employee

@kg33 wrote:

Same inquiry as above - Florida - we were again told within 30 days about 40 days ago.  Of course, we were also told within 3 weeks last May when I purchased the $100 hdd to use with my new cable service.  

Sometimes I wish I had never stumbled upon this forum when I was getting ready to activate my cable.

Is it any closer to reality this time?

Our Florida team ran into another unexpected operational snag recently. Nothing insurmountable, but it did but create another wrinkle into the execution and activation schedule. 

For background, a lot of our Florida cable systems were acquired from other video providers. The team is uncovering some non-standard situations that need to be remedied before this feature can be easily activated.  This is not meant as an excuse but more as an explanation. We are committed to getting this feature working in the remainder of Florida (areas where we use Motorola DVRs).

The right teams are actively engaged.  I expect to have some updated information from our Florida team soon.

They all understand the importance of this and the impact of the delays. I will certainly update you once I get additional information. Thanks again for your patience.

Official Employee
Moved:

New Poster

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@Bellingham11 wrote:

ComcastTeds: Any new news on when this will be available in Washington State?

Apologies for the delay in responding.

Customers who have Motorola-branded DVRs in our remaining areas of AZ, CA, CO, ID, KS, NM, MN, MO, OR, UT, WI and WA are currently scheduled to have this feature activated this month. 

Thanks for your patience. 

Do you have an estimated April date for WA at this point?

Regular Visitor

Any update on the WA roll-out?

Official Employee

@henryvalz wrote:

There is a meeting Friday afternoon to review the progress. I should have more information next week to share. Thanks for your patience. 

New Poster

Any news on the MN rollout?  Do you have a specific date in April it will be completed?

New Poster

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@henryvalz wrote:

There is a meeting Friday afternoon to review the progress. I should have more information next week to share. Thanks for your patience. 

How did the meeting go? What was discussed and what was decided?

Official Employee

@Bellingham11 wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@henryvalz wrote:

The meeting Friday was cancelled as some key team members were unexpectedly out. The meeting has not yet been rescheduled. Let me see what I can find out.   

Frequent Visitor

So are these areas really going to be activated in the next two days??

Official Employee

@LanceMoreland wrote:

It doesn't seem likely. I will know more on Friday afternoon.

Apologies, right now the completion date for all of our remaining areas is currently listed as May 22.

Some areas may be completed prior to that. That is the specific information I am waiting for. Thanks.   

New Poster

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@Bellingham11 wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@henryvalz wrote:

The meeting Friday was cancelled as some key team members were unexpectedly out. The meeting has not yet been rescheduled. Let me see what I can find out.   

When has the meeting been rescheduled for??

Official Employee

@Bellingham11 wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@Bellingham11 wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@henryvalz wrote:

When has the meeting been rescheduled for??

For this Friday afternoon. 

Official Employee

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@LanceMoreland wrote:

It doesn't seem likely. I will know more on Friday afternoon.

Apologies, right now the completion date for all of our remaining areas is currently listed as May 22.

Some areas may be completed prior to that. That is the specific information I am waiting for. Thanks.   

For the new areas listed below, the e-SATA port should now be active for external hard drives.

California, Colorado (Denver area), Texas, Oregon, Washington 

If the e-SATA port is not yet active, I would ask that you please reach out to me directly via PM (Private Message) with your account number, address or phone number on your account and I can get this working for you. 

For background, our system goes through and pro-actively activates the ports automatically in sequential order by serial number so it may take some time for all the DVRs to get activated.

If you have an issue, please let me know and I can manually activate your e-SATA port out of the normal sequence. 

All other remaining areas are currently expected to be complete by May 22. Thanks for your patience. 

Private Messages (PM’s)

You can click on my name (ComcastTeds) and scroll down to a link that says “Send this user a private message”.

At the top of each Forum page you will see a small envelope

This is the icon for Private Messages, referred to as ‘PM’s’. A Private Message is a way to communicate in private, to another User, Moderator, or Administrator out of public view in the Forums.

The gray envelope icon will have a number next to it if you have any new messages waiting. 

To open a PM to read it, double click on the envelope. If you click on the white envelope a window will open with tabs for your Private Message Inbox, Sent Messages, Friends, Ignored Users, and Compose new Message. You can also access this area by clicking on the Username in a Thread or post. By default, Private Messages are enabled. You can disable this feature in My Settings>Preferences> Private Messenger.

Frequent Visitor

I am in the Denver area and my sata port is not yet active.  I have sent you a PM with the requested information.

Thanks,

Lance

Official Employee

@LanceMoreland wrote:

I am in the Denver area and my sata port is not yet active.  I have sent you a PM with the requested information.

Thanks,

Lance

Got it - working that authorization now, I will respond via PM. 

Regular Visitor

Ted,

Thank you so much for being so awesome about this.

I was wondering if you could list the current requirements for using an eSATA drive on the Motorola DVR (Capacity, brand(?), etc).

Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

I am up and running.  Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

Yay progress!!  ComcastTeds, any recent news on progress of DCX-3400 firmware updates?

Official Employee

@henryvalz wrote:

Ted,

Thank you so much for being so awesome about this.

I was wondering if you could list the current requirements for using an eSATA drive on the Motorola DVR (Capacity, brand(?), etc).

Thanks!

Supported DVR Models

The following models of Comcast DVRs support external hard drives. If your DVR has an eSATA port on the back, it should support external hard drives with up to 1 terabyte of storage capacity.

Motorola Comcast DVRs: DCH3416, DCH6416, DCT3412, DCT3416, DCT6412, DCT6416, DCX3501, RNG200N

Cisco/Scientific Atlantic (SA) Comcast DVRs: Cisco RNG200, Cisco RNG200N, SA 8000, SA 8000HD, SA 8010, SA 8010HD, SA 8300, SA 8300HD/HDC

More details here: http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/external-dvr-storage/

and here: http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/external-dvr-storage-faqs

New Poster

I have a DCT 3416 I and the port on the back says SATA instead of eSATA.  Will that work?

Thanks.

Official Employee

@forestclouds wrote:

I have a DCT 3416 I and the port on the back says SATA instead of eSATA.  Will that work?

Thanks.

In your area of CA, yes  - your account and that DVR should be activated by 5pm PT today. 

For the new areas listed below, the e-SATA port should now be active for external hard drives.

California, Colorado (Denver area), Texas, Oregon, Washington 

If the e-SATA port is not yet active, I would ask that you please reach out to me directly via PM (Private Message) with your account number, address or phone number on your account and I can get this working for you. 

For background, our system goes through and pro-actively activates the ports automatically in sequential order by serial number so it may take some time for all the DVRs to get activated.

If you have an issue, please let me know and I can manually activate your e-SATA port out of the normal sequence. 

All other remaining areas are currently expected to be complete by May 22. Thanks for your patience. 

Private Messages (PM’s)

You can click on my name (ComcastTeds) and scroll down to a link that says “Send this user a private message”.

At the top of each Forum page you will see a small envelope 

This is the icon for Private Messages, referred to as ‘PM’s’. A Private Message is a way to communicate in private, to another User, Moderator, or Administrator out of public view in the Forums.

The gray envelope icon will have a number next to it if you have any new messages waiting.  

To open a PM to read it, double click on the envelope. If you click on the white envelope a window will open with tabs for your Private Message Inbox, Sent Messages, Friends, Ignored Users, and Compose new Message. You can also access this area by clicking on the Username in a Thread or post. By default, Private Messages are enabled. You can disable this feature in My Settings>Preferences> Private Messenger.

Contributor

How can Florida remain soooooo far down your priority list? Clearly, we're not very important to whomever makes the decisions. 

Official Employee

@billybh wrote:

How can Florida remain soooooo far down your priority list? Clearly, we're not very important to whomever makes the decisions. 

For background, a lot of our Florida cable systems were acquired from other video providers. The team uncovered some non-standard situations that need to be remedied before this feature can be easily activated.  This is not meant as an excuse but more as an explanation. We are committed to getting this feature working in the remainder of Florida (areas where we use Motorola DVRs).

The right teams are actively engaged.  They all understand the importance of this and the impact of the delays. 

All other remaining areas (Including the remaining areas of Florida) are currently expected to be complete by May 22.

Frequent Visitor

Amazon currently has a WD My Book AV DVR Expander 1 TGB USB 2.0/eSATA External Hard Drive Model WDBABT0010HBK-NESN for $87.95.  Does anyone know if this would be compatible with the Motorola DCT 3416 DVR?

Thanks,

Dwight

Frequent Visitor

I sent this as a private message already, but I'm not sure that was the right venue for this question:

I'm a longtime Comcast customer.  Recently I added a couple of cable boxes to my subscription and traded in a nonfunctioning DVR unit for a newer one.  The new box seems to hold MUCH less than the old one did; it's more than half full with less than a week's worth of recordings.  This was unacceptable, so I contacted Comcast through the chat feature.  They recommended that I purchase a DVR Expander and even told me the correct one to buy (the same one available through Comcast's website).  I was assured that this would work with my Motorola box (which is on the approved list) even though my location of Independence, Missouri, wasn't listed on the sites that had been activated.

Flash forward about a week.  I received the Western Digital 1 TB My Book DVR Expander and hooked it up to my DVR cable box.  I got a message that told me that my account wasn't authorized and that I was to disconnect it and call Comcast.  I thought, fine, they have to activate it.  I've no issue with that.

It turns out that the cable technician I spoke with at Comcast had NEVER heard of this service and it is apparently not available in my area.  He did not think it ever would be.  I think he even disbelieved that there WAS any such service until he Googled it for himself.  He seemed really shocked that the DVR Expander I bought was mentioned and advertised on Comcast's website.

Is there any plan to roll out this service in Independence, MO?  Should I just give up and go to another alternative?  The DVR box I have is almost useless for the way my family watches television.   The technician on the phone also told me that all Comcast boxes are the same size in terms of GB available for DVR storage; a quick look at this site seems to indicate that this is not true at all.  I feel overwhelmed by the amount of conflicting and flat-out wrong information I've gotten in the last three weeks from various entities at Comcast.

Can anyone help clear up the confusion?

Official Employee

@dwightr8 wrote:

Amazon currently has a WD My Book AV DVR Expander 1 TGB USB 2.0/eSATA External Hard Drive Model WDBABT0010HBK-NESN for $87.95.  Does anyone know if this would be compatible with the Motorola DCT 3416 DVR?

Thanks,

Dwight

We specifically tested the Western Digital model that we link to in the initial post in this thread. 

Most any DVR Expander drive (at 1TB or less) connected via the e-SATA port to the listed DVR types will likely work. 

Official Employee

@tessiebunny wrote:

I sent this as a private message already, but I'm not sure that was the right venue for this question:

I'm a longtime Comcast customer.  Recently I added a couple of cable boxes to my subscription and traded in a nonfunctioning DVR unit for a newer one.  The new box seems to hold MUCH less than the old one did; it's more than half full with less than a week's worth of recordings.  This was unacceptable, so I contacted Comcast through the chat feature.  They recommended that I purchase a DVR Expander and even told me the correct one to buy (the same one available through Comcast's website).  I was assured that this would work with my Motorola box (which is on the approved list) even though my location of Independence, Missouri, wasn't listed on the sites that had been activated.

Flash forward about a week.  I received the Western Digital 1 TB My Book DVR Expander and hooked it up to my DVR cable box.  I got a message that told me that my account wasn't authorized and that I was to disconnect it and call Comcast.  I thought, fine, they have to activate it.  I've no issue with that.

It turns out that the cable technician I spoke with at Comcast had NEVER heard of this service and it is apparently not available in my area.  He did not think it ever would be.  I think he even disbelieved that there WAS any such service until he Googled it for himself.  He seemed really shocked that the DVR Expander I bought was mentioned and advertised on Comcast's website.

Is there any plan to roll out this service in Independence, MO?  Should I just give up and go to another alternative?  The DVR box I have is almost useless for the way my family watches television.   The technician on the phone also told me that all Comcast boxes are the same size in terms of GB available for DVR storage; a quick look at this site seems to indicate that this is not true at all.  I feel overwhelmed by the amount of conflicting and flat-out wrong information I've gotten in the last three weeks from various entities at Comcast.

Can anyone help clear up the confusion?

Apologies for any confusion we may have caused.

This feature is not yet active in your area which is probably why the technician wasn't aware.

The feature is scheduled to be activated automatically in all remaining areas by the end of this month. Thanks for your patience.

Some additional information in the first post of this thread and at the links below.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/external-dvr-storage/

http://store.comcast.com/my-book-av-dvr-expander/detail.php?p=442589&v=comcast_accessories

Frequent Visitor

It works!  With a little help from Comcast Teds (Thanks again Ted) my new hard drive is up and running.  I went from 29% to 3% full in about 2 minutes.  FWIW, the hard drive listed in my original post from Amazon seems to work just fine.  Amazon is pretty amazing too.  I ordered it Fri afternoon and it arrived Mon morning!

To all who are still waiting, hang in there.  It will happen.

Dwight

Official Employee

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@billybh wrote:

For background, a lot of our Florida cable systems were acquired from other video providers. The team uncovered some non-standard situations that need to be remedied before this feature can be easily activated.  This is not meant as an excuse but more as an explanation. We are committed to getting this feature working in the remainder of Florida (areas where we use Motorola DVRs).

The right teams are actively engaged.  They all understand the importance of this and the impact of the delays. 

All other remaining areas (Including the remaining areas of Florida) are currently expected to be complete by May 22.

Due to the upcoming Memorial Day holiday, the activations of this feature and the e-SATA port for the devices listed below in our remaining areas has now been moved from May 22 to May 29.

• Motorola Comcast DVRs: DCH3416, DCH6416, DCT3412, DCT3416, DCT6412, DCT6416, DCX3501, RNG200N

Contributor

I hate to sound terminally naive, but isn't this simply a matter of a console or consoles serving the affected areas launching a software instruction? It certainly has nothing to do with the hardware, at least at the consumer end, or does it?

Official Employee

@billybh wrote:

I hate to sound terminally naive, but isn't this simply a matter of a console or consoles serving the affected areas launching a software instruction? It certainly has nothing to do with the hardware, at least at the consumer end, or does it?

There are pieces and parts that need to be aligned and in order before the "software command" will work on the DVRs that I have listed above.

Specifically for Florida, some of the pieces and parts were not aligned as they should have been.

Frequent Visitor

Any progress report on the firmware update for us patiently awaiting DCX-3400 users??

Official Employee

@Central_PA wrote:

Any progress report on the firmware update for us patiently awaiting DCX-3400 users??

The fix for officially supporting the DCX 3400 is in a bundled software release (software, firmware, interactive TV user agent, etc.) that is in employee trial now in a few locations. Customer deployment dates and sequence for locations are still TBD, but we expect to have some customer deployments starting over the summer. 

As background for others:  

We have seen (and continue to see) inconsistent results with the DCX3400 model in our labs and employee testing. Some observations included boxes locking up. This required a box reboot (unplug and re-plug AC power) in order to restore video service. This is not a desired or intended customer experience.

Other customers and testers reported no issues. Due to the very inconsistent behavior and not readily understanding the trigger point for the box lock up, the DCX 3400 is not currently on our list of supported devices for this feature.

Certainly, now knowing the identified risk that I outlined, one could attempt to try it out with that known caveat.

If it works for you, then you may not need to swap the DVR out for another model. If it doesn't work to your satisfaction, then a DVR swap may be in order.

Our teams (along with Arris, the new name for the former Motorola cable box division) have identified and resolved this particular issue and have a bundled update to address this. That is scheduled to start being delivered to cable boxes in 2014. 

Contributor

I was one of the few who reported good results when pairing mine with WD external hard drive. Unfortunately my results have taken a change for the worse in the past month. I'm now experiencing the lockups you reported and have to do a power down about every 10 days or so. My xternal hard drive is about 50% full so I'll just ride it out untilthe fix arrives.
Frequent Visitor

Is Missouri still slated for completion by the May 29 deadline?

Thanks for any information you can provide on this!

Official Employee

@tessiebunny wrote:

Is Missouri still slated for completion by the May 29 deadline?

Thanks for any information you can provide on this!

Yes, still on track for May 29. Thanks for your patience. 

New Poster

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola DVRs (DVR Expander)

and now it's been 18 months and still Florida isn't on the list...

Official Employee

All remaining areas (including Florida) are currently scheduled to have this feature activated on May 29.

New Poster

I'm happy to report that my MyBook was finally recognized by my Motorola DCH3416R last night in Colorado Springs.  Thank you!

Frequent Visitor

Installed my eSATA HDD this weekend in Oregon. Works!

Official Employee

@ComcastTeds wrote:
All remaining areas (including Florida) are currently scheduled to have this feature activated on May 29.

Apologies, I just heard late last night that our Florida team has moved the date for the activation to mid-June. As soon as I have a better update I will let you know. Thanks for your patience.

All other areas are still scheduled for May 29. 

Contributor

What can one say? Continuing disappointment. Obvious things like getting a "better" team to work on Florida? At what point does your technical "prowess" embarrass you? 

And things are going to get better for the consumer after the mega-merger?