Community Forum

External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expander)

Official Employee

External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expander)

With over 85,000 XFINITY On Demand choices and more and more prime time shows available at no additional charge, the benefits of your DVR may not seem readily apparent. But a lot of our customers still enjoy their DVRs for the choice and control that it provides as a complement to all the great XFINITY On Demand programs available.

For DVR fans, have you ever wanted more space for your DVR programs but were reluctant to exchange your DVRYou still have shows that you recorded but havent watched yetplus the whole activity of re-scheduling your DVR recordings may seem a bit daunting.

Now you can add additional storage to your DVR using your existing Comcast DVR.  Comcast has partnered with Western Digital to offer a 1 terabyte hard drive; the MyBook AV DVR Expander has been tested and approved to work with certain Comcast DVR models. A one terabyte -1TB- hard drive can store approximately 1,200 hours of Standard-Definition (SD) programs or 240 hours of High-Definition (HD) programs.

The DVR Expander is purchased by you directly from Western Digital. Once purchased, the DVR Expander is owned by youThere are no additional activation costs or recurring monthly fees for adding the DVR Expander.

The DVR Expander easily connects to the back of the Comcast DVR to the e-SATA port. Everything you need to connect the hard drive is provided in the Western Digital kit.

Many more details and specifics are available on our website

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/external-dvr-storage/

and at the below ordering site 

http://store.comcast.com/my-book-av-dvr-expander/detail.php?p=442589&v=comcast_accessories

For our customers with Motorola branded DVRs: 
Currently, all areas where we use Motorola branded DVRs all now have the DVR expander feature available. 

For our customers with Scientific Atlanta or Cisco branded DVRs:

The DVR Expander option is currently available to Comcast DVR customers in all areas. For the Cisco RNG 200 and RNG200N you would need to have the traditional "blue" on-screen guide.   

External hard drives are not expcted to be supported on our X1 platform.

New Poster

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola DVRs (DVR Expander)

This is wonderful, long overdue.

But, why are you restricting this geographically?

Isn't my DCT6412 identical to one owned by someone in Indiana?

If it is available, why do I have to wait?

Also, will I be able to transfer recordings from the internal drive to the external drive?

Thanks,

John

Official Employee

jgsing wrote:

Also, will I be able to transfer recordings from the internal drive to the external drive?

Thanks,

John

The functionality requires a software and firmware upgrade to the DVR that enables the feature and the e-SATA port.

We will be getting this functionality out to all of our locations. The DCT6412 in Indiana has a different software and firmware version on it that what you currently have. The update is deployed location by location. We are in the midst of that upgrade and will have additional locations announced soon.

You will not be able to transfer DVR recordings from the internal drive to the external drive, Any new DVR recordings will start to be stored on the drive that has the most space available (initially the external device in all cases).  

Official Employee

In another thread in this forum, a customer asked about the DCX 3400 and the DCX 3400M as those DVRs are not currently "on the list" for external hard drive support. 

I am reposting my earlier response in this thread:

The DCX3400 and DCX3400M are still being evaluated. The expectation is that both of those box types should and will work with the external hard drive.

We did not have 100% expected results with these boxes during our testing and evaluations. 

We felt is was important to leave these box types off the list for now while we make the functionality available now to a large number of DVRs.

We continue to work with Western Digital and Motorola to understand what the issues are and to resolve them. Once a resolution is validated, we will certainly add the DCX 3400 and DCX 3400M set tops to the list of supported devices.

I don't have a time frame for that right now as the reviews and testing are still ongoing for these box types.      

Regular Contributor

ComcastsTed,

I know you need the A30 software for this to work but can you tell me in the future when they update my Motorola area to the new X1 guide will the DVR expander still work?  I have the DCX3501 box.

Official Employee

kab1 wrote:

ComcastsTed,

I know you need the A30 software for this to work but can you tell me in the future when they update my Motorola area to the new X1 guide will the DVR expander still work?  I have the DCX3501 box.

Hello kab1. The DVR Expander is currently designed to work with our legacy Motorola and Cisco equipment on the current guide experience.  

The DVR Expander option is on the roadmap for our X1 Guide experience but the X1 Guide is expected to have a cloud DVR opportunity where individual DVR recordings are not stored on the in-home device. This cloud DVR experience would really negate the need for a limited and physically in-the-home external hard drive.

Contributor

Ted, I am in southern NH and just got the update to A30.  Does that mean I can now add an external HDD?  I have the 500 GB Anyroom DVR. 

Official Employee

g-mason wrote:

Ted, I am in southern NH and just got the update to A30.  Does that mean I can now add an external HDD?  I have the 500 GB Anyroom DVR. 

Yes, the A30 guide update is required, glad to hear you have that. There are a few other items that need to be completed at each Comcast site and that work is underway now. 

Also, as a reminder (posted above) the DCX 3400 and the DCX 3400M have not yet been qualified for this feature. We typically use those boxes for AnyRoom DVR.

The DCX3400 and DCX3400M are still being evaluated. The expectation is that both of those box types should and will work with the external hard drive.

We did not have 100% expected results with these boxes during our testing and evaluations. 

We felt is was important to leave these box types off the list for now while we make the functionality available now to a large number of DVRs.

We continue to work with Western Digital and Motorola to understand what the issues are and to resolve them. Once a resolution is validated, we will certainly add the DCX 3400 and DCX 3400M set tops to the list of supported devices.

I don't have a time frame for that right now as the reviews and testing are still ongoing for these box types.      

Contributor

ComcastTeds wrote:

g-mason wrote:

Yes, the A30 guide update is required, glad to hear you have that. There are a few other items that need to be completed at each Comcast site and that work is underway now. 

Also, as a reminder (posted above) the DCX 3400 and the DCX 3400M have not yet been qualified for this feature. We typically use those boxes for AnyRoom DVR.

I wasn't sure of the model I had, so that's good to know.  I called the local Comcast office last night, they are clueless.  I can I know definitively that I'm good to go and it's safe to buy an external HDD?

Official Employee

UPDATE: Additional areas of Michigan (the Detroit and Taylor areas) now have this feature available. The map for Michigan (right after the top post) has been updated to include the new areas. 

Official Employee

g-mason wrote:

I wasn't sure of the model I had, so that's good to know.  I called the local Comcast office last night, they are clueless.  I can I know definitively that I'm good to go and it's safe to buy an external HDD?

Thanks for your interest.

External Hard drives aren't activated for your area of New Hampshire just yet; we will update this page and the page below (and the relevant Comcast call centers) with that information once it's ready to go in each area. For New Hampshire it's likely to be early 2013.   

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/external-dvr-storage/

Regular Contributor

what about model DCT 3416 PLUS IN TENNESSEE

Official Employee

bkyle7301 wrote:

what about model DCT 3416 PLUS IN TENNESSEE

Thanks for your interest. A complete list of DVRs that are supported (including the DCT 3416) are listed and updated on our website: http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/external-dvr-storage/

Motorola DVRs
DCT6412
DCT6416
DCT3412
DCT3416
DCH3416
DCH6416
DCX3501 
RNG200N

Not available yet in Tennessee, but currently scheduled for early 2013 for your area.   

Regular Contributor

I find it ludicrous that Comcast cannot manage to deploy a firmware update across their entire network without having to do it piecemeal by region.  Also, why is it that a 500G internal drive can only hold 60 hours of HD programming while the Western Dig drive that is 2x the size can store 4x the programming? Any idea when this will be available in the southeast?  If we purchase the kit and later choose to move to another provider, can the WD drive be "repurposed" and used as an external drive for a PC or home network?

ComcastTeds wrote:

jgsing wrote:

Thanks,

John

The functionality requires a software and firmware upgrade to the DVR that enables the feature and the e-SATA port.

We will be getting this functionality out to all of our locations. The DCT6412 in Indiana has a different software and firmware version on it that what you currently have. The update is deployed location by location. We are in the midst of that upgrade and will have additional locations announced soon.

You will not be able to transfer DVR recordings from the internal drive to the external drive, Any new DVR recordings will start to be stored on the drive that has the most space available (initially the external device in all cases).  

Official Employee

DMilnerJax wrote:

I find it ludicrous that Comcast cannot manage to deploy a firmware update across their entire network without having to do it piecemeal by region.  Also, why is it that a 500G internal drive can only hold 60 hours of HD programming while the Western Dig drive that is 2x the size can store 4x the programming? Any idea when this will be available in the southeast?  If we purchase the kit and later choose to move to another provider, can the WD drive be "repurposed" and used as an external drive for a PC or home network?

ComcastTeds wrote:

jgsing wrote:

Thanks,

John

It is a firmware and software update that does need to be delivered at each regional location. We also take into account other regional customer facing events and activities that are already scheduled.

The external hard drive support is only one of a few features that are enabled by this guide software and firmware.

We plan to have this feature available in all locations in the first few months of 2013.

The Western Digital drive remains the property of the customer and can be repurposed for any additional storage purpose (with another provider or on a pc or laptop for example). The existing recordings would not be preserved or able to be accessed in either of those examples, but certainly the external drive could be re-used. 

DVR recording capacities are estimates. The actual recording times can vary depending upon the SD/HD recording mix and other variables; programming delivered-recorded in 1080i or 720p would take up different amounts of hard drive space.  

Regular Contributor

ComcastTeds,

Amazon is selling this 1TB expander  #WDBABT0010HBK-NESN.  Will this model work or do you have to have the specific model #WDBACS0010HBK-NESN from this link.

http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus/en_US/pd/productID.254791800/parid.13092300/catid.5926230...

Diamond Problem Solver

kab1 wrote:

ComcastTeds,

Amazon is selling this 1TB expander  #WDBABT0010HBK-NESN.  Will this model work or do you have to have the specific model #WDBACS0010HBK-NESN from this link.

http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus/en_US/pd/productID.254791800/parid.13092300/catid.5926230...

That is the only drive certified for DVR expander use not just for the Cisco / SA DVR's but are supposed to work on the Motorola DVR's once the firmware is updated.  It will also work on Tivo's and some Satellite DVR's.

Official Employee

11.27.12 UPDATE: Additional areas of Michigan (the Lansing area) now has this feature available. The map for Michigan at the beginning of this thread has been updated to include the new areas. 

Official Employee

kab1 wrote:

ComcastTeds,

Just to add to what JayInAlg posted above: 

Comcast DVRs currently only support external hard drives that provide up to 1 terabyte of storage capacity, and only the specified Western Digital external hard drive has been verified to work with Comcast DVRs.

Other external hard drives that are 1 TB or lower should work just fine but they have not been verified or tested by Comcast. I have seen in other online forums where customers have bought the drive that you referenced and they reported that it worked fine.

The bottom line is that we have tested and verified the Western Digital Drive model WDBACS0010HBK-NESN which is available at the link below:

http://store.comcast.com/my-book-av-dvr-expander/detail.php?p=442589&v=comcast_accessories

If you want to purchase a different e-SATA drive (1TB or less), you are welcome to do so at your own risk. I believe that this would be a limited risk. 

New Poster

Hey Ted would that expander work on the SA8300HD's today cable box upgraded I live in New Haven County In Connecticut
Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola and SA-Cisco DVRs (DVR Expander)

TrigunVS wrote:
Hey Ted would that expander work on the SA8300HD's today cable box upgraded I live in New Haven County In Connecticut

Absolutely yes.

In fact all of our Cisco and Scientific-Atlanta branded DVRs in all areas work today with this external hard drive connected via the e-SATA port.

The Cisco or Scientific-Atlanta name will be visible on the front panel of the DVR.

This includes the following DVRs:

SA 8000
SA 8010
SA 8300
SA 8000HD
SA 8010HD
SA 8300HD
SA 8300 HDC
Cisco RNG200
Cisco RNG200N

I added the SA and Cisco information to the first post so that information is readily seen. 

For the Cisco RNG 200 and RNG200N you would need to have the traditional "blue" on-screen guide.  

New Poster

Hi Ted,

Do you know about when Northern Illinois will be getting this ability?

New Poster

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

You indicated that All SA DVR's will accept the expander. Does this include Southeast Mass? I live in Plymouth. Thanks

William Sheehan

"For our customers with Scientific Atlanta or Cisco branded DVRs: The DVR Expander option is currently available to Comcast DVR customers in all areas. For the Cisco RNG 200 and RNG200N you would need to have the traditional "blue" on-screen guide."  

Frequent Visitor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

Ted how about the so Jersey area out side of philly (gloucester county).  When will we beable to get a dvr with expansion capability and when will that system get turned on?  I currently have a moto with no expansion port so I need to swap out to upgrade even if the system is not yet operable.

Thanks jim

Official Employee

WILLIAM_SHEEHAN wrote:

You indicated that All SA DVR's will accept the expander. Does this include Southeast Mass? I live in Plymouth. Thanks

William Sheehan

"For our customers with Scientific Atlanta or Cisco branded DVRs: The DVR Expander option is currently available to Comcast DVR customers in all areas. For the Cisco RNG 200 and RNG200N you would need to have the traditional "blue" on-screen guide."  

Yes, all Scientific-Atlanta and Cisco branded DVRs in all locations are currently supported. Thanks.  

Frequent Visitor

I previously had a Western Digital MyBook AV DVR Expander external drive working with a RNG200 box for about 2 - 3 years.  I just upgraded to Any Room DVR swapping out my DVR to the RNG200N.  However, my WD MyBook AV 1 TB drive is not recognized by the new RNG200N.  I am in the Boca Raton, FL area.  I thought that all Cisco RNG200 and RNG200N boxes accepted the eSata WD drive.  If the "new" guide or firmware does not enable the eSata port, is there a rollout data set for the Boca Raton, FL market?

Official Employee

shirlock1 wrote:

Ted how about the so Jersey area out side of philly (gloucester county).  When will we beable to get a dvr with expansion capability and when will that system get turned on?  I currently have a moto with no expansion port so I need to swap out to upgrade even if the system is not yet operable.

Thanks jim

For areas in New Jersey where we use Motorola branded DVRs, the external hard drive support is expected to be available in early 2013. Thanks for your patience

New Poster

I, too, would like to know when this service is coming to the Chicago area.

New Poster

Ted, I have a DCH3416 & am in Chicago. Any idea if or when I can get this upgrade?

Official Employee

BocaJesse wrote:

I previously had a Western Digital MyBook AV DVR Expander external drive working with a RNG200 box for about 2 - 3 years.  I just upgraded to Any Room DVR swapping out my DVR to the RNG200N.  However, my WD MyBook AV 1 TB drive is not recognized by the new RNG200N.  I am in the Boca Raton, FL area.  I thought that all Cisco RNG200 and RNG200N boxes accepted the eSata WD drive.  If the "new" guide or firmware does not enable the eSata port, is there a rollout data set for the Boca Raton, FL market?

For the Cisco RNG 200 and RNG200N you would need to have the traditional "blue" on-screen guide.

Apologies, I don't have a current schedule for the DVR Expander feature to be ready for our AnyRoom DVR customers that have a Cisco RNG 200N DVR. Once I do I will be able to add that information to this thread.

Some good news is that the Cisco RNG 200N DVR does have a 500 GB hard drive.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the info!  You are the first person to advise that it was not a supported feature for Any Room DVR customers.  I had always heard that ALL Cisco RNG200 and RNG200Ns supported the external drives.  One more question: once the network for the Any Room DVR is updated so that the RNG200N accepts the external drive, how will I know?  Will I need to exchange the DVR again or will the message just appear to format the external device?

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the information on availability in so NJ.  Can you tell me which motorola branded dvrs are compatable with the excpander service?  Is there a model that is the most advanced that I can request?

Thanks

Jim

Official Employee

shirlock1 wrote:

Thanks for the information on availability in so NJ.  Can you tell me which motorola branded dvrs are compatable with the excpander service?  Is there a model that is the most advanced that I can request?

Thanks

Jim

Thanks for your interest. A complete list of Motorola DVRs that are supported are listed and updated on our website: http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/external-dvr-storage/

Motorola DVRs

DCT6412
DCT6416
DCT3412
DCT3416
DCH3416
DCH6416
DCX3501 
RNG200N

Not available yet in New Jersey, but currently scheduled for early 2013 for your area.   

Official Employee

dmw1970 wrote:

Hi Ted,

Do you know about when Northern Illinois will be getting this ability?

Not available yet in Illinois, but currently scheduled for early 2013 for your area.   

Official Employee

zgwarnki wrote:

Ted, I have a DCH3416 & am in Chicago. Any idea if or when I can get this upgrade?

Not available yet in Illinois, but currently scheduled for early 2013 for your area.   

Regular Contributor

ComcastTeds,  Do you have an ETA for the Atlanta, Ga market to receive the A30 guide?

Thank you.

Official Employee

TurnerBrewer wrote:

ComcastTeds,  Do you have an ETA for the Atlanta, Ga market to receive the A30 guide?

Thank you.

Schedules are always subject to change.

All remaining locations are currently scheduled to be complete with the latest guide software-firmware release (A30) during the first three months of 2013.

The Atlanta area is currently scheduled to start receiving this latest guide code at the end of January.

Official Employee

UPDATE:  

All Comcast areas of Michigan and Indiana are scheduled to have this feature available effective December 19, 2012.   

Frequent Visitor

We got A30 in Chicago suburbs this morning.  

Official Employee

vladj wrote:

We got A30 in Chicago suburbs this morning.  

Yes, the A30 guide is required and one of the first steps before we can activate the new external hard drive support feature.  

Silver Problem Solver

ComcastTeds wrote:

shirlock1 wrote:

Thanks

Jim

Thanks for your interest. A complete list of Motorola DVRs that are supported are listed and updated on our website: http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/external-dvr-storage/

Motorola DVRs

DCT6412
DCT6416
DCT3412
DCT3416
DCH3416
DCH6416
DCX3501 
RNG200N

Not available yet in New Jersey, but currently scheduled for early 2013 for your area.   

I think the DCT6412 should note that it is only for the 6412P3 version. The older P1 (rare) and P2 versions do not have eSATA. I should know, as mine is a P2 (I've had it for 8 years now.) I believe P3 says "DCT6412 III" on the front or something like that.

Regular Contributor

Do we have to call customer service after we get A30 to activate the external hard drive?

Official Employee

kab1 wrote:

Do we have to call customer service after we get A30 to activate the external hard drive?

No. The feature will pro-actively and automatically be activated at some point after the A30 guide update. We will update the locations and dates on this site and at the sites linked at the first post in this thread. Thanks for your interest.   

Frequent Visitor

I keep trying to get information on the external drive support for the CISCO RNG200N and when it will be available in Boca Raton, FL.  It worked for me for over 2 years on the Cisco RNG200 yet it stopped working with the guide on the RNG200N needed to run Any Room DVR.  I basically lost functionality despite the fact that I was told by tech support that it would work the same way with the new "upgraded" cable box.  My questions are:

1. What Cisco / SA guide version do I need to receive support for the external (eSATA) drive?

2. When will that version be coming to Boca Raton, FL?

3. Will that come with DVR Manager support?

NOTE: My RNG200N states in the tech screen that it has on screen guide 1.7.5.1003.  I'm not sure what that translates to but it seems that no one at Comcast seems to know what functionality maps to what boxes in what markets on what guides.  Maybe I need a secret decoder ring???

Frequent Visitor

I see that the DCX 3400 is still not on the list of supported devices. Can you give an update on the progress of the testing and evaluation?

Official Employee
Moved:

New Poster

Ted,

I have a Motorola RNG 200 N, live in Utah, MC ARD SN: MT1227TNCZ06 -- a  Motorla DCX3501-M - I think.

Is the linked WD external drive compatible with this cable box?  

I called Comcast support with this question and after being told the box cannot connect and then being told it can after I told the rep the box has an eSata port.  I wasn't filled with with confidence from the exchange.

Thank you for clarification.

Oh, and by the way, the link above http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/external-dvr-storage/  does not work.

Diamond Problem Solver

The DCX3501 will work once the area gets the proper updates, estimated to be by the end of March.  Some area's have it now.

Frequent Visitor

I keep trying to get information on the external drive support for the CISCO RNG200N and when it will be available in Boca Raton, FL.  It worked for me for over 2 years on the Cisco RNG200 yet it stopped working with the guide on the RNG200N needed to run Any Room DVR.  I basically lost functionality despite the fact that I was told by tech support that it would work the same way with the new "upgraded" cable box.  My questions are:

1. What Cisco / SA guide version do I need to receive support for the external (eSATA) drive?

2. When will that version be coming to Boca Raton, FL?

3. Will that come with DVR Manager support?

NOTE: My RNG200N states in the tech screen that it has on screen guide 1.7.5.1003.  I'm not sure what that translates to but it seems that no one at Comcast seems to know what functionality maps to what boxes in what markets on what guides.  Maybe I need a secret decoder ring???

Regular Contributor

ComcastTeds wrote:

UPDATE:  

All Comcast areas of Michigan and Indiana are scheduled to have this feature available effective December 19, 2012.   

I live in the Northern part of Indiana and as of today still no A30.  Are they running a little behind?

Thanks.