Community Forum

External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expander)

Official Employee

Re: WD DVR Expander & DCT3416 LOST RECORDINGS & NO DVR


@NembaHobbit wrote:

I recently purchased a WD DVR Expander thru Comcast  for my DCT3416.

Made sure to check that this device is supported for my STB box and in my local area (MA) prior to purchase.

Purchased directly thru link on Comcast to further ensure compatibility.

 

When I hooked it up, not only did it not expand my available recording space, it made all of my existing recordings disappear  (90% full)  and I can no longer use the DVR at all !!#$%%&!!

 

I never got any startup formatting querys.

(btw there was ZERO documentation in the box, only a receipt with return label on the back)

 

I am extremely unhappy.

 

~ 6-8 tech support calls over the past week with zero improvement. Multiple refreshes, resets. reboots, power downs etc.

2 of my tech support calls were "pushed" to Western Digital without even telling me. GRRRR!

Since the DVR function doesn't work at all they couldn't help me troubleshoot.

 

I can still "see" the list of my recorded programs on the iPhone app, and on my desktop, but I can't "send them" to watch on the TV. The app says a compatible STB DVR device was not found.

 

A technician is scheduled to come out on Saturday.

 

I expect the internal HD got messed up and my recordings are toast :-((((

I only hope that the tech can at least restore DVR functionality for the Superbowl.

He'll probably have to swap me a new box.

 

ANY advice / Suggestions?

 

Thanks for listening

 

 

 


Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above.

 

The DVR that you listed is compatible with an external DVR connected via an e-SATA cable. 

 

What were the results of the technician visit on Saturday? 

 

You should get on-screen prompts once the external drive is connected and powered up. Existing DVR recordings are expected to remain accessible and intact. 

 

Some general information at the links below: 

 

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/external-dvr-storage/

 

http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus/en_US/DisplayAccesoryProductDetailsPage/ThemeID.21986300/...

 

It does sound as through there may have been an issue with the internal hard drive.


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

Does any WD external drive work with my cisco rng200n, or do I need the specific hdd recommended by comcast (the 1tb western digital)? I have a 500gb western digital passport drive. Is there any way to hook this one up? It has the micro usb port. Can I use a usb>sata adapter? Thanks.

Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@acyaman wrote:

Does any WD external drive work with my cisco rng200n, or do I need the specific hdd recommended by comcast (the 1tb western digital)? I have a 500gb western digital passport drive. Is there any way to hook this one up? It has the micro usb port. Can I use a usb>sata adapter? Thanks.


Most any external hard drive will work (at 1 TB or less) if connected via e-SATA.

 

Not sure about a micro usb to e-SATA adapter cable. That is not something we tested.

 

Should be inexpensive enough for you to try out though.  

  


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

Are there any plans for the Xfinity platform to accept and external hard drive?  The storage capacity on the Xfinity platform is relatively limited.

Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

All - Apologies again for the delays in Florida. We have activated this feature in Dade County. The remaining areas of south Florida are expected to be active by April 1.

For Jacksonville, the current estimate is to have this feature activated by mid-year.

Thanks again for your on-going patience.  


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee
Moved:

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@ComcastTeds wrote:

All - Apologies again for the delays in Florida. We have activated this feature in Dade County. The remaining areas of south Florida are expected to be active by April 1.

For Jacksonville, the current estimate is to have this feature activated by mid-year.

Thanks again for your on-going patience.  


As an update, all of south Florida is now completed and has this feature available. Please contact me if you are having trouble with this feature. Thanks for your patience.

For Jacksonville and NW Florida, the current estimate is to have this feature activated by mid-year.

 

For details, questions or issues regarding this feature in Florida, please see the Florida thread below: 

 

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/External-Hard-Drive-Support-for-Motorola-areas-...


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee
Moved:

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

Your site says that all Motorola boxes are now supported but not so here in Michigan.  We are still on A30 here with no prospects of ever going to A31 so the DCX 3400 no work!!

 

The A31 promise reminds me of Clark Griswold going to Wally World:  "Any minute now kids!"

 

Starting to feel like the red-headed stepchild here since we know that we will be dumped as soon as the merger closes so we may never get it.

 

 

Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

Starting to feel the same way here in Maryland with my DCX3400 as well

Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@czgomez wrote:

Your site says that all Motorola boxes are now supported but not so here in Michigan.  We are still on A30 here with no prospects of ever going to A31 so the DCX 3400 no work!!

 

The A31 promise reminds me of Clark Griswold going to Wally World:  "Any minute now kids!"

 

Starting to feel like the red-headed stepchild here since we know that we will be dumped as soon as the merger closes so we may never get it.

 

 


We have seen (and continue to see) inconsistent results with the DCX3400 model in our labs and employee testing. Some observations included boxes locking up. This required a box reboot (unplug and re-plug AC power) in order to restore video service. This is not a desired or intended customer experience.

 

Other customers and testers reported no issues. Due to the very inconsistent behavior and not readily understanding the trigger point for the box lock up, the DCX 3400 is not currently on our list of supported devices for this feature.

Certainly, now knowing the identified risk that I outlined, one could attempt to try it out with that known caveat.

If it works for you, then you may not need to swap the DVR out for another model. If it doesn't work to your satisfaction, then a DVR swap may be in order.

 

Our teams (along with Arris, the new name for the former Motorola cable box division) have identified and resolved this particular issue and have a bundled firmware update to address this.

 

This update has already started being released to cable boxes, some details on locations and general timing can be found at the link below: 

 

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/Upcoming-Bundled-Guide-release-A31-Motorola-set...

We have plans to have this release out in more homes sooner than later.

 

Thanks for your patience.


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

ComcastTeds,

 

I am having the same issue as the user in post 473 way back on 7/26/2013. After months of a working DVR Expander, tonight I started getting this message:

 

"The requested recording is stored on an external drive. The use of external drive is not authorized with your account. Please contact your provider. Alert 15"

 

Online chat support and phone support were no help. But the previous user was able to get their issue resolved with your help.

 

Would you be able to fix this or point me to the right people who can help?

 

Thank you

 

 

Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@ddebruin wrote:

ComcastTeds,

 

I am having the same issue as the user in post 473 way back on 7/26/2013. After months of a working DVR Expander, tonight I started getting this message:

 

"The requested recording is stored on an external drive. The use of external drive is not authorized with your account. Please contact your provider. Alert 15"

 

Online chat support and phone support were no help. But the previous user was able to get their issue resolved with your help.

 

Would you be able to fix this or point me to the right people who can help?

 

Thank you

 

 


Apologies. I wasn't able to locate your account information using the e-mail address that you registered with in this forum.

Please send me via PM (Private Message) some account information (name, address, phone number on your account) and I can look into this further so that we can get this resolved. Thanks.


Private Messages (PM’s)

You can click on my name (ComcastTeds) and scroll down to a link that says “Contact me”.

 

At the top right of each Forum page you will see a small envelope. This is the icon for Private Messages, referred to as ‘PM’s’. A Private Message is a way to communicate in private, to another User, Moderator, or Administrator out of public view in the Forums.

 

The envelope icon will have a number next to it if you have any new messages waiting.

 

To open a PM to read it, double click on the envelope. If you click on the envelope a window will open with tabs for your Private Message Inbox, Sent Messages, Friends, Ignored Users, and Compose new Message. You can also access this area by clicking on the Username in a Thread or post. By default, Private Messages are enabled. You can disable this feature in My Settings>Preferences> Private Messenger.


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@ComcastTeds wrote:

@czgomez wrote:

Your site says that all Motorola boxes are now supported but not so here in Michigan.  We are still on A30 here with no prospects of ever going to A31 so the DCX 3400 no work!!

 

The A31 promise reminds me of Clark Griswold going to Wally World:  "Any minute now kids!"

 

Starting to feel like the red-headed stepchild here since we know that we will be dumped as soon as the merger closes so we may never get it.

 

 


We have seen (and continue to see) inconsistent results with the DCX3400 model in our labs and employee testing. Some observations included boxes locking up. This required a box reboot (unplug and re-plug AC power) in order to restore video service. This is not a desired or intended customer experience.

 

Other customers and testers reported no issues. Due to the very inconsistent behavior and not readily understanding the trigger point for the box lock up, the DCX 3400 is not currently on our list of supported devices for this feature.

Certainly, now knowing the identified risk that I outlined, one could attempt to try it out with that known caveat.

If it works for you, then you may not need to swap the DVR out for another model. If it doesn't work to your satisfaction, then a DVR swap may be in order.

 

Our teams (along with Arris, the new name for the former Motorola cable box division) have identified and resolved this particular issue and have a bundled firmware update to address this.

 

This update has already started being released to cable boxes, some details on locations and general timing can be found at the link below: 

 

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/Upcoming-Bundled-Guide-release-A31-Motorola-set...

We have plans to have this release out in more homes sooner than later.

 

Thanks for your patience.


ComcastTeds .... Does the first paragraph in your reply above to czgomez apply to DCX3400 units that have received the A31 update (i.e. some issues remain with DCX3400 units using the A31 update)?  Please clarify .... thank you.

Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@eecon1 wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@czgomez wrote:

Your site says that all Motorola boxes are now supported but not so here in Michigan.  We are still on A30 here with no prospects of ever going to A31 so the DCX 3400 no work!!

 

The A31 promise reminds me of Clark Griswold going to Wally World:  "Any minute now kids!"

 

Starting to feel like the red-headed stepchild here since we know that we will be dumped as soon as the merger closes so we may never get it.

 

 


We have seen (and continue to see) inconsistent results with the DCX3400 model in our labs and employee testing. Some observations included boxes locking up. This required a box reboot (unplug and re-plug AC power) in order to restore video service. This is not a desired or intended customer experience.

 

Other customers and testers reported no issues. Due to the very inconsistent behavior and not readily understanding the trigger point for the box lock up, the DCX 3400 is not currently on our list of supported devices for this feature.

Certainly, now knowing the identified risk that I outlined, one could attempt to try it out with that known caveat.

If it works for you, then you may not need to swap the DVR out for another model. If it doesn't work to your satisfaction, then a DVR swap may be in order.

 

Our teams (along with Arris, the new name for the former Motorola cable box division) have identified and resolved this particular issue and have a bundled firmware update to address this.

 

This update has already started being released to cable boxes, some details on locations and general timing can be found at the link below: 

 

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/Upcoming-Bundled-Guide-release-A31-Motorola-set...

We have plans to have this release out in more homes sooner than later.

 

Thanks for your patience.


ComcastTeds .... Does the first paragraph in your reply above to czgomez apply to DCX3400 units that have received the A31 update (i.e. some issues remain with DCX3400 units using the A31 update)?  Please clarify .... thank you.


Nope, the issue addressed in the above is resolved with the A31 release.  A31 is not yet deployed in Michigan. 


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@ddebruin wrote:

ComcastTeds,

 

I am having the same issue as the user in post 473 way back on 7/26/2013. After months of a working DVR Expander, tonight I started getting this message:

 

"The requested recording is stored on an external drive. The use of external drive is not authorized with your account. Please contact your provider. Alert 15"

 

Online chat support and phone support were no help. But the previous user was able to get their issue resolved with your help.

 

Would you be able to fix this or point me to the right people who can help?

 

Thank you

 

 


Thanks for sending over some account information via Private Message. 

 

Alert 15 is certainly on us to correct.

 

I sent some refresh signals this morning in the hopes that would reactivate the feature. I have also asked our local team to look into this a bit more so that we can get this feature working for you again.

 

A lot of our folks are out today for the holiday - just to set expectations, I'm not sure if this will get looked at until Monday.


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@ComcastTeds wrote:

@ddebruin wrote:

ComcastTeds,

 

I am having the same issue as the user in post 473 way back on 7/26/2013. After months of a working DVR Expander, tonight I started getting this message:

 

"The requested recording is stored on an external drive. The use of external drive is not authorized with your account. Please contact your provider. Alert 15"

 

Online chat support and phone support were no help. But the previous user was able to get their issue resolved with your help.

 

Would you be able to fix this or point me to the right people who can help?

 

Thank you

 

 


Thanks for sending over some account information via Private Message. 

 

Alert 15 is certainly on us to correct.

 

I sent some refresh signals this morning in the hopes that would reactivate the feature. I have also asked our local team to look into this a bit more so that we can get this feature working for you again.

 

A lot of our folks are out today for the holiday - just to set expectations, I'm not sure if this will get looked at until Monday.


Apologies for the delay. Things should be working better now, please let me know once you have had the chance to check. Thanks much.


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

I just found out about these forums tonight; wish I had thought to look for "Community Forums" sooner.

 

I find it truly distressing that there has been a DVR Expander available for Motorola-branded DVRs for 2-1/2 years. The reps at my local walk-in Customer Service Office apparently knew NOTHING about it! I had commented more than once over the past few years about just how much it sucked to have all this great HD programming, but not be able to keep more than a few hours of HD programming. Over the years, said reps would tell me just how many of their customers had made similar comments. Sadly, I can't even go there tomorrow and shove a printout of the start of this thread onto the counter, as Comcast closed that office six months ago. (And, that's a WHOLE OTHER story... I need to look around and see if there's an appropriate place to post that thread.)

 

Anyway, my questions are these:

  1. Is this a feature that is available here (the Eastern Panhandle of WV)?
  2. If so, where do I go to find the external drive? (The link in post #1 brings up a blank WD page with "Home > External Storage  > DVR Expander Overview  > My Book AV 1 TB Comcast" at the top of the page.)
  3. Do I need to buy one from WD, or can I use one that I may find on Amazon or eBay?

 

Thanks!

Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@LazerFlash wrote:

I just found out about these forums tonight; wish I had thought to look for "Community Forums" sooner.

 

I find it truly distressing that there has been a DVR Expander available for Motorola-branded DVRs for 2-1/2 years. The reps at my local walk-in Customer Service Office apparently knew NOTHING about it! I had commented more than once over the past few years about just how much it sucked to have all this great HD programming, but not be able to keep more than a few hours of HD programming. Over the years, said reps would tell me just how many of their customers had made similar comments. Sadly, I can't even go there tomorrow and shove a printout of the start of this thread onto the counter, as Comcast closed that office six months ago. (And, that's a WHOLE OTHER story... I need to look around and see if there's an appropriate place to post that thread.)

 

Anyway, my questions are these:

  1. Is this a feature that is available here (the Eastern Panhandle of WV)?
  2. If so, where do I go to find the external drive? (The link in post #1 brings up a blank WD page with "Home > External Storage  > DVR Expander Overview  > My Book AV 1 TB Comcast" at the top of the page.)
  3. Do I need to buy one from WD, or can I use one that I may find on Amazon or eBay?

 

Thanks!


Apologies, below are some links that have additional information: 

 

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/external-dvr-storage/

 

 

This feature is available in all areas of WV.

 

Below is the updated link. Apologies: 

 

http://store.comcast.com/my-book-av-dvr-expander/detail.php?p=442589&v=comcast_accessories

 

You can also purchase your own external drive from another provider and most likely it will also work just fine. The external drive would need to be connected via an e-SATA cable and the external drive needs to be at 1 TB or less for your area.

  


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


ComcastTeds wrote:You can also purchase your own external drive from another provider and most likely it will also work just fine. The external drive would need to be connected via an e-SATA cable and the external drive needs to be at 1 TB or less for your area. 

As luck would have it, I have a couple of external hard drives - both under 1 TB - but they connect via USB. Is there a way to convert from USB to e-SATA?

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

SATA is the native connector on recent drives, so if you want to open up the drive, and get a esata to sata cable, to convert the drive to esata there's a slim chance it would work.

 

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10226&cs_id=1022603&p_id=8792&seq=1&format=2

 

There's no way to use the USB port on a usb external drive and convert to esata, no adapter exists.

Regular Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

Now that my DCX3400m has been updated to A31 Im looking to get an external drive.

I know about the 1TB WD one, but 2TB with eSATA is hard to find.

Is anyone using a 2TB eSATA drive with a DCX3400m A31?

Regular Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@FAUguy wrote:

Now that my DCX3400m has been updated to A31 Im looking to get an external drive.

I know about the 1TB WD one, but 2TB with eSATA is hard to find.

Is anyone using a 2TB eSATA drive with a DCX3400m A31?


Standby ..... I'll be reporting  back soon on the performance of the WD 1TB AV MyBook Expander received today direct from WD for $110 (they are now sold out):

 

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/Upcoming-Bundled-Guide-release-A31-Motorola-set...

Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@eecon1 wrote:

@FAUguy wrote:

Now that my DCX3400m has been updated to A31 Im looking to get an external drive.

I know about the 1TB WD one, but 2TB with eSATA is hard to find.

Is anyone using a 2TB eSATA drive with a DCX3400m A31?


Standby ..... I'll be reporting  back soon on the performance of the WD 1TB AV MyBook Expander received today direct from WD for $110 (they are now sold out):

 

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/Upcoming-Bundled-Guide-release-A31-Motorola-set...


I am checking with Western Digital to see when they expect to have additional 1 TB drives back in stock.  


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@ComcastTeds wrote:

@eecon1 wrote:

@FAUguy wrote:

Now that my DCX3400m has been updated to A31 Im looking to get an external drive.

I know about the 1TB WD one, but 2TB with eSATA is hard to find.

Is anyone using a 2TB eSATA drive with a DCX3400m A31?


Standby ..... I'll be reporting  back soon on the performance of the WD 1TB AV MyBook Expander received today direct from WD for $110 (they are now sold out):

 

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/Upcoming-Bundled-Guide-release-A31-Motorola-set...


I am checking with Western Digital to see when they expect to have additional 1 TB drives back in stock.  


For others - there are some Western Digital 1 TB drives available over at the Comcast Accessory Store, link below:

 

http://store.comcast.com/my-book-av-dvr-expander/detail.php?p=442589&v=comcast_accessories


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

Now that they are in stock, im trying to decide wich WD 2 TB drive to go with the external Thermaltake case.
The WD AV GP
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DXOJJQQ/
Red
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008JJLZ7G/
 
Or Purple
http://www.amazon.com/Purple-2TB-Surveillence-Hard-Drive/dp/B00IMPO5MO/
 
The AV GP drive is made for DVR, has Silk Stream, but only 300,000 load/unload cycles.
The Red has 600,000 cycles.
The Purple has 300,000 but does not have the IDLE issue where it keep parking the head every 8-10 seconds.
All are rated the same sound dB rating.

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@eecon1 wrote:

@FAUguy wrote:

Now that my DCX3400m has been updated to A31 Im looking to get an external drive.

I know about the 1TB WD one, but 2TB with eSATA is hard to find.

Is anyone using a 2TB eSATA drive with a DCX3400m A31?


Standby ..... I'll be reporting  back soon on the performance of the WD 1TB AV MyBook Expander received today direct from WD for $110 (they are now sold out):

 

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/Upcoming-Bundled-Guide-release-A31-Motorola-set...


I am checking with Western Digital to see when they expect to have additional 1 TB drives back in stock.  


For others - there are some Western Digital 1 TB drives available over at the Comcast Accessory Store, link below:

 

http://store.comcast.com/my-book-av-dvr-expander/detail.php?p=442589&v=comcast_accessories



@astTeds wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@eecon1 wrote:

@FAUguy wrote:

Now that my DCX3400m has been updated to A31 Im looking to get an external drive.

I know about the 1TB WD one, but 2TB with eSATA is hard to find.

Is anyone using a 2TB eSATA drive with a DCX3400m A31?


Standby ..... I'll be reporting  back soon on the performance of the WD 1TB AV MyBook Expander received today direct from WD for $110 (they are now sold out):

 

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/Upcoming-Bundled-Guide-release-A31-Motorola-set...


I am checking with Western Digital to see when they expect to have additional 1 TB drives back in stock.  


For others - there are some Western Digital 1 TB drives available over at the Comcast Accessory Store, link below:

 

http://store.comcast.com/my-book-av-dvr-expander/detail.php?p=442589&v=comcast_accessories


 

 

 

 

 

Regular Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@FAUguy wrote:
Now that they are in stock, im trying to decide wich WD 2 TB drive to go with the external Thermaltake case.
The WD AV GP
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DXOJJQQ/
Red
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008JJLZ7G/
 
Or Purple
http://www.amazon.com/Purple-2TB-Surveillence-Hard-Drive/dp/B00IMPO5MO/
 
The AV GP drive is made for DVR, has Silk Stream, but only 300,000 load/unload cycles.
The Red has 600,000 cycles.
The Purple has 300,000 but does not have the IDLE issue where it keep parking the head every 8-10 seconds.
All are rated the same sound dB rating.

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@eecon1 wrote:

@FAUguy wrote:

Now that my DCX3400m has been updated to A31 Im looking to get an external drive.

I know about the 1TB WD one, but 2TB with eSATA is hard to find.

Is anyone using a 2TB eSATA drive with a DCX3400m A31?


Standby ..... I'll be reporting  back soon on the performance of the WD 1TB AV MyBook Expander received today direct from WD for $110 (they are now sold out):

 

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/Upcoming-Bundled-Guide-release-A31-Motorola-set...


I am checking with Western Digital to see when they expect to have additional 1 TB drives back in stock.  


For others - there are some Western Digital 1 TB drives available over at the Comcast Accessory Store, link below:

 

http://store.comcast.com/my-book-av-dvr-expander/detail.php?p=442589&v=comcast_accessories



@astTeds wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@eecon1 wrote:

@FAUguy wrote:

Now that my DCX3400m has been updated to A31 Im looking to get an external drive.

I know about the 1TB WD one, but 2TB with eSATA is hard to find.

Is anyone using a 2TB eSATA drive with a DCX3400m A31?


Standby ..... I'll be reporting  back soon on the performance of the WD 1TB AV MyBook Expander received today direct from WD for $110 (they are now sold out):

 

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/Upcoming-Bundled-Guide-release-A31-Motorola-set...


I am checking with Western Digital to see when they expect to have additional 1 TB drives back in stock.  


For others - there are some Western Digital 1 TB drives available over at the Comcast Accessory Store, link below:

 

http://store.comcast.com/my-book-av-dvr-expander/detail.php?p=442589&v=comcast_accessories


 

 

 

 

 


 

I ended up buying the WD 2TB AV GP for $88 and the ThermalTake case for $37. It should be here by the end of the week, I'll update with how it works out with my DCX3400M A31 box.

Regular Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@FAUguy wrote:

I ended up buying the WD 2TB AV GP for $88 and the ThermalTake case for $37. It should be here by the end of the week, I'll update with how it works out with my DCX3400M A31 box.


Keep us posted ..... The WD Store's 1TB MyBook AV Expander has been working fine for a couple of weeks now.   Simple plug and play installation.  My ears are not that good but I'm told it is inaudible.

Regular Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

Today I got in the shipment.

I went with the WD 2TB AV-GP for $88

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DXOJJQQ  

 

And the Thermalrake Max 5 case for $37

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004G8QETS    

 

I first tried out just the case powered on, and the fans are very quiet. Can't even hear them from a few feet away. I then put the drive in (very easy, no mounting screws required), and turned it on. I could hear the drive spin up, but after that it was silent. I then turned it off and connected it to the back of the DCX3400M, the bad thing is that the Thermaltake case only includes a 3' eSATA cable, so I'll need to get a longer one to place the drive where I want it, but for now it is OK.

 

  I powered it on, and the DCX3400M had a blue box come up saying that an external drive was connected and needed to be formatted, I selected OK, and it only took about 10 seconds (probably a quick format). After that I started recording two HD movies, and could see the blue LED on the case start to flash. After 5 minutes I stopped the recording and played them back, image was smooth and no sound issues. When I went into my DVR recordings list, it went from 94% full to 19%. If I turned off the external drive and then tried to play those two HD recordings, it would say the drive is not connected, so that tells me the DVR index is still kept on the primary internal 500GB drive.

 

  So for the price, I'm quite happy with this. If WD still made the 2TB DVR Expander, I would have gone that route, but to spend $100 for the 1TB expander made no sense to me when you can make your own 2TB expander for $125. It is quiet, which was one of my concerns, as when I build PCs I use quality low dB noise fans. Thankfully the two Thermaltake fans and the WD GP-AV drive are quiet. I will continue to use it and report back how it is working after a few days.

 

Update: One thing I have noticed is that the "buffer" of live TV viewing is also being done on the external drive now instead of the internal drive. I was surprised about this. But even with a full 2TB of space, it still will only buffer about 25 minutes of live HD viewing, while SD is about 2.5 hours. It would be nice if the HD buffer could at least be 1 hour.

 

 

 

Regular Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

My 2-tuner DCX3400M and WD MyBook DVR 1TB "Comcast" Expander were left on overnight as usual for about 7 hours and tuned to CNBC SD and Bloomberg SD (with my HDTV off) .... thus the HDD buffers were probably full by morning as no recordings were scheduled overnight.

 

After powering up my HDTV this morning and watching CNBC SD for a few minutes, I tried pressing one of my large Silver remote's DVR buttons (Replay, i.e. go back 15 seconds) and it did not respond.  I pressed it a second time and instead, an error message immediately popped up (with a blue background covering the lower 40% of the HDTV screen) which said:

 

"Please disconnect the external drive from the cable box.   Alert 13"

 

Has anyone else seen this anomaly with DCX3400 units using external hard drives?  (Or with any other DVR units?)

 

I reviewed Motorola's User Guide "External DVR Storage / Motorola DVR Set-tops" and found a similar screen message pictured on page 15.  According to what I've gathered from the manual, Alert 13 is normally presented for one of two reasons:

 

1. Following cancellation of a user's request to start formatting the external drive (i.e. after cancelling at the very last confirmation step to actually proceed with the formatting);

 

2. Following a formatting operation which fails, will not start, or will not proceed.

 

Thus, Alert 13 was the screen which popped up after I pressed the DVR's Replay button a couple of times this morning but I never requested or attemped any formatting of the external hard drive (except 4 weeks ago when it was new and first plugged in). Also, there was no apparent overnight resetting of the DVR (the Guide was still fully populated well out over a week).

 

Anyway, I unplugged the power to the WD Expander for 15 seconds and then repowered it.   All returned to normal, and fortunately no recordings were lost from the Expander or the DVR.

 

However, I'm still nervous about the whole experience.

Regular Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@eecon1 wrote:

My 2-tuner DCX3400M and WD MyBook DVR 1TB "Comcast" Expander were left on overnight as usual for about 7 hours and tuned to CNBC SD and Bloomberg SD (with my HDTV off) .... thus the HDD buffers were probably full by morning as no recordings were scheduled overnight.

 

After powering up my HDTV this morning and watching CNBC SD for a few minutes, I tried pressing one of my large Silver remote's DVR buttons (Replay, i.e. go back 15 seconds) and it did not respond.  I pressed it a second time and instead, an error message immediately popped up (with a blue background covering the lower 40% of the HDTV screen) which said:

 

"Please disconnect the external drive from the cable box.   Alert 13"

 

Has anyone else seen this anomaly with DCX3400 units using external hard drives?  (Or with any other DVR units?)

 

I reviewed Motorola's User Guide "External DVR Storage / Motorola DVR Set-tops" and found a similar screen message pictured on page 15.  According to what I've gathered from the manual, Alert 13 is normally presented for one of two reasons:

 

1. Following cancellation of a user's request to start formatting the external drive (i.e. after cancelling at the very last confirmation step to actually proceed with the formatting);

 

2. Following a formatting operation which fails, will not start, or will not proceed.

 

Thus, Alert 13 was the screen which popped up after I pressed the DVR's Replay button a couple of times this morning but I never requested or attemped any formatting of the external hard drive (except 4 weeks ago when it was new and first plugged in). Also, there was no apparent overnight resetting of the DVR (the Guide was still fully populated well out over a week).

 

Anyway, I unplugged the power to the WD Expander for 15 seconds and then repowered it.   All returned to normal, and fortunately no recordings were lost from the Expander or the DVR.

 

However, I'm still nervous about the whole experience.


I have been using the external case with the WD 2TB drive that I listed to above for 2 weeks now and haven't had any error message like that pop up. After using it the first week, I purchased a longer 6' eSATA cable since the case only included a 3' and it was too short. I've heard that sometimes those cables can lose their connection or become loose. So maybe double check that, and if it keeps happening, contact WD for a warranty exchange of your Expander.

Regular Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@FAUguy wrote:


I have been using the external case with the WD 2TB drive that I listed to above for 2 weeks now and haven't had any error message like that pop up. After using it the first week, I purchased a longer 6' eSATA cable since the case only included a 3' and it was too short. I've heard that sometimes those cables can lose their connection or become loose. So maybe double check that, and if it keeps happening, contact WD for a warranty exchange of your Expander.


Yes, thanks.  I removed the eSata cable first thing after the event, visually inspected it and reconnected both ends firmly but plan to try one of my two other high quality 3 foot eSata cables I've been using for my PC's external HDDs should this happen again.   So far it's been nearly 12 hours with no repeat, even after letting the buffers fill-up again over the day.

Diamond Problem Solver
Moved:

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

Regular Contributor

Re: WD Drops External Hard Drive Support for Motorola 2-Tuner DVR Expanders

UPDATE:

 

The WD My Book AV 1 TB Comcast Expander WDBACS0010HBK-NESN (eSATA) is no longer available and the few units left are going for $250 or more on Amazon (I paid $110 direct from WD in May 2015 for my DCX3400-M).

 

There no longer appears to be any 1TB or 2TB WD AV Expanders units utilizing eSATA available from WD.

 

However this outfit claims to have 1TB and 2TB units designed for Motorola DCX3400, DCX3501, etc DVRs untilizing eSATA.

 

https://www.dvrdaddy.com/collections/external-dvr-expanders/products/motorola-external-hard-drive-ex...

 

It looks like the enclosures may also have a fan unlike my WD 1TB Expander ...... 1TB for $130 and 2TB for $180 plus $0.99 shipping

 

Question to Comcast:    I wonder if they'd work with Comcast and have you ever heard anything about this supplier because my WD 1TB expander is getting full?

Admin1

Re: WD Drops External Hard Drive Support for Motorola 2-Tuner DVR Expanders

eecon1 -- I have not heard anything about this particular supplier so I cannot speak to if they're reputable or not. Any external hard drive you use will need eSATA connection. As long as the hard drive has this connection, it will work. 


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: WD Drops External Hard Drive Support for Motorola 2-Tuner DVR Expanders


@eecon1 wrote:

UPDATE:

 

The WD My Book AV 1 TB Comcast Expander WDBACS0010HBK-NESN (eSATA) is no longer available and the few units left are going for $250 or more on Amazon (I paid $110 direct from WD in May 2015 for my DCX3400-M).

 

There no longer appears to be any 1TB or 2TB WD AV Expanders units utilizing eSATA available from WD.

 

However this outfit claims to have 1TB and 2TB units designed for Motorola DCX3400, DCX3501, etc DVRs untilizing eSATA.

 

https://www.dvrdaddy.com/collections/external-dvr-expanders/products/motorola-external-hard-drive-ex...

 

It looks like the enclosures may also have a fan unlike my WD 1TB Expander ...... 1TB for $130 and 2TB for $180 plus $0.99 shipping

 

Question to Comcast:    I wonder if they'd work with Comcast and have you ever heard anything about this supplier because my WD 1TB expander is getting full?


Apolgies. Yes, Western Digital discontinued production of the external hard drives that have the e-SATA connection.

 

I went ahead and ordered a 2 TB version from the source that you listed to check it out.

 

I'll let you know if there are any issues once it arrives. My expectation is that the 1TB or 2TB versions should work just fine when connected to a Motorola branded DVR. Cisco or Scientific-Atlanta branded DVRs currently have a limitation of up to 1 TB external drive.

 

Needs to be connected via e-SATA of course, thanks!     


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: WD Drops External Hard Drive Support for Motorola 2-Tuner DVR Expanders

I attempted to install a 2TB DRdaddy external expander to my DCT3412, it was recognized but would not format.  I sent it back!

Regular Contributor

Re: WD Drops External Hard Drive Support for Motorola 2-Tuner DVR Expanders


@Bigsaint wrote:

I attempted to install a 2TB DRdaddy external expander to my DCT3412, it was recognized but would not format.  I sent it back!


My 2TB home-built unit still works great with my DCX3400.  Your DRdaddy was probably bad.

 

Here is what I used:

 

A Rosewill 3.5 Inch Hard Drive Enclosure with both USB 3.0 and eSATA, Aluminum Body, Built-in 80mm Cooling Fan with Fan On/Off Switch. It supports 3.5” SATA III / II / I Hard Drives up to 6TB and is available most everywhere for around $35:

 

https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Enclosure-External-Aluminum-function/dp/B005KGNXTE/ref=sr_1_2?s=elec...

 

A WD 2TB WD AV-GP SATA III Intellipower 64 MB Cache Series HDD (WD20EURX) also available most everywhere for around $70 (I bought a Bulk/OEM unit for $70 which has worked just fine over the last 14 months):

 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DXOJJQQ/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=IZB6TAHBK4OHZ&colid=190BOVFJJFN0O

 

Also, if you have not already downloaded it, you should definately read the "Motorola DVR Set-top External Storage User Guide" before trying to use an Expander.   That PDF document can be found at the first hit of a Google search for "Motorola DVR Set-top External Storage User Guide" .... here is the link to download the guide:

 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwi30bOgq8nWAhVT5WMKHdJ7DJE...

 

Good luck.

 

 

New Poster

Re: WD Drops External Hard Drive Support for Motorola 2-Tuner DVR Expanders

I found that the 1TB drive works just fine.  Now I'm trying to find a 2 way data switch box for eSata cables so I can switch between two 1TB drives,  I've been searching for hours with nothing found so far!

Regular Contributor

Re: WD Drops External Hard Drive Support for Motorola 2-Tuner DVR Expanders


@Bigsaint wrote:

I found that the 1TB drive works just fine.  Now I'm trying to find a 2 way data switch box for eSata cables so I can switch between two 1TB drives,  I've been searching for hours with nothing found so far!


Don't bother trying to find an eSATA cable switch .... that's just asking for trouble.  Use the procedure I linked to you previously as written in the instruction guide.

 

I line up my 3 Expanders next to each other (the two 1TB WD ones plus the 2TB unit) and move the connecter manually from one Expander to the other when needed (I switch them very rarely):

 

1. Place your DVR in standby/off mode with it's remote control;

2. Remove the eSATA connector from the back of the Expander;

3. Power down your current Expander;

4. Power up your DVR (and TV);

5. Power up your second Expander and let it spin up for 15-30 seconds unconnected;

6. Insert the eSATA cable into the back of the your other Expander;

7. Wait for the TV screen to announce the second Expander is now connected (might take 10 to 20 seconds);

8. Press the DVR remote "Okay" button once or twice;

9. After about another 10-20 seconds (maybe faster) you'll be good to go.