Community Forum

External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expander)

Frequent Visitor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

Deja Vu?

@rjmsys wrote:

@hi   On  ‎03-26-2013, I wrote:

"I'm in the Jacksonville Florida area. We have the A30 update but still get the 08 alert. Do you have a schedule for my area to be enabled?"

Comcast Ted responded:

3-27-2013 " Hello, yes that feature for external hard drive support is expected to be activated in your area in the next 45 days."

The 45 days have more then passed and nothing has changed! Is there a new schedule for my area?

All of Florida is scheduled to have the e-SATA port and external hard drive feature activated the week of June 3rd. Thanks for your patience.

Frequent Visitor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

it's now working for me in boulder, colorado! I've been waiting for this for a while now, so far so good.

Frequent Visitor

Still not for me.  I'm committed, though, since it's too late to return the DVR expander now anyway.

I really hope my faith is justified this time.

Frequent Visitor

Still not working in Missouri.  Who should I contact to get this set up?  Today was the deadline, as far as we've been told.

Specifically: Still getting Alert 08 and being told to disconnect the drive because it's not authorized in my area.  Same as before.

Regular Contributor

This may have been covered at naseum, but, any update on X1.  Due to have it installed in a few days, and I actually have a 1tb WD esata that I can use.

New Poster

Still not working in MN either, even though the main hard drive expander info website states that it's now available in all areas for Motorola.  It tells me my account is not authorized.

Regular Contributor

Ted,

I think I covered this before.  I understand the movement toward Cloud useage.  I understand access to DVR'd programming across the net (assuming you have the bandwidth where you are), etc.  However the cost comparison for straight up storage of say a 1TB drive and enclosure vs. monthly add on charges for something that is already inherenting expensive doesn't make for an appealing equation.

Even more so because a premium is usually paid for X1 users as we watch the older technology box GET the very thing X1 users have to wait even further for (if it really is in the plan as you suggest).  Isn't that somewhat backward?  The X1 box is far newer technology, very programmable, etc.  I would think if you can get it working on the much older Motorola boxes that turning a feature which seems, in fact, to already be built in, would be relatively easy.  The flag is already there.. one can see it in diagnostics..

Jay S.

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@valcomp wrote:

As mentioned, CA is among the States that are due to 'upgrade/update' on DVRs to allow DVR expansion this month of April. Does this rollout to CA include STB MX011LAN (Motorola/Arris). the STB's XRE server version is 1.39.05  03/27/2014; XRE Prot version is 2.8.0

Apologies for any confusion. The update referenced in this thread is not for X1. The box you have is an X1 box. 

For X1 - We have started to use the cloud for DVR recordings in a few markets with more areas scheduled to be added. 

The X1 Experience will have a cloud DVR opportunity where individual DVR recordings are not stored on the in-home device. This cloud DVR experience would really negate the need for a limited and physically in-the-home hard drive and all boxes could be AnyRoom DVRs. Plus the opportunity to retain your DVR recordings should you move or you need to replace the DVR.

Once the DVR recordings are in the cloud, you can also view the recordings from any internet connected device.

You can get additional information on that feature at the link below: 

http://corporate.comcast.com/news-information/news-feed/comcast-launches-x1-dvr-with-cloud-technolog...

The opportunity for activating the e-SATA port on our X1 devices is on our feature roadmap. I don't have a timetable to announce just yet for that.

Thanks for your patience as we work to improve the experience.

Regular Contributor

MikeCT01...

See my post in response Comcast Teds just posted.  You can see his latest post regarding X1..

@MikeCT01 wrote:

This may have been covered at naseum, but, any update on X1.  Due to have it installed in a few days, and I actually have a 1tb WD esata that I can use.

Frequent Visitor

I was on the support chat for a little over an hour; they sent a signal to my box and now my DVR expander is working Smiley Happy

If anyone else is having issues, they might want to start with that first Smiley Happy

Good luck, everyone Smiley Happy

Regular Visitor

I'm in the Denver area and I am still receiving the Alert 08 message when I connect my external drive.  I contacted support chat and was informed to contact WD since my drive is a WD purple 1TB drive and not a My Book AV.  How will contacting WD resolve theAlert 08- "account not authorized to use external drives?" What am I missing?

Thanks

New Poster

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola DVRs (DVR Expander)

Two questions:

1.  Has the services been activated in Jacksonville FL?  The last forum post from ComcastTeds about Florida says not until the week of June 3rd but the support page says it has been activated in all areas for Motorola DVRs. 

2.  If it has been activated, or when it is, if I still get the Alert 08 what should I tell tech support when I call them?  So far I've called twice (today and a year ago when it was originally published that the service was active) and both times the tech support person had no idea what a DVR storage expander is much less how to assist me.

Thank you.

Regular Visitor

Does the external hard drive work with the Motorola DCX3400? It has an esata plug in the back but I didn't see it listed as one of the Motorola boxes that works. 

Thanks.....

Frequent Visitor

No.  They have been foot dragging on that one forever.

Official Employee

@tessiebunny wrote:

Still not for me.  I'm committed, though, since it's too late to return the DVR expander now anyway.

I really hope my faith is justified this time.

Apologies for the delay in responding. I have been out on vacation and just returned to the office today.

I sent a refresh signal to your DVR just now and the external drive should be working now. Please let me know if you are still having an issue. Thanks for your patience.  

All areas should have this feature active now with the exception of some Florida areas where we use Motorola-branded DVRs. The remaining areas of Florida are expected to be activated later this month.

Thanks for your continued patience.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

@MikeCT01 wrote:

The external hard drive feature is not currently active on our X1 Platform.

This feature is on the X1 product roadmap but I don't have a timetable or schedule for that feature that I can announce just yet. Thanks for your patience.  

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Official Employee

@essel_b wrote:

Still not working in MN either, even though the main hard drive expander info website states that it's now available in all areas for Motorola.  It tells me my account is not authorized.

Apologies for the delay in responding. I have been out on vacation and just returned to the office today.

I sent a refresh signal to your DVR just now and the external drive should be working now. Please let me know if you are still having an issue. Thanks for your patience.  

Official Employee

@JaySinCT wrote:
Ted,

I think I covered this before.  I understand the movement toward Cloud useage.  I understand access to DVR'd programming across the net (assuming you have the bandwidth where you are), etc.  However the cost comparison for straight up storage of say a 1TB drive and enclosure vs. monthly add on charges for something that is already inherenting expensive doesn't make for an appealing equation.

Even more so because a premium is usually paid for X1 users as we watch the older technology box GET the very thing X1 users have to wait even further for (if it really is in the plan as you suggest).  Isn't that somewhat backward?  The X1 box is far newer technology, very programmable, etc.  I would think if you can get it working on the much older Motorola boxes that turning a feature which seems, in fact, to already be built in, would be relatively easy.  The flag is already there.. one can see it in diagnostics..

Jay S.

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@valcomp wrote:

As mentioned, CA is among the States that are due to 'upgrade/update' on DVRs to allow DVR expansion this month of April. Does this rollout to CA include STB MX011LAN (Motorola/Arris). the STB's XRE server version is 1.39.05  03/27/2014; XRE Prot version is 2.8.0

Apologies for any confusion. The update referenced in this thread is not for X1. The box you have is an X1 box. 

For X1 - We have started to use the cloud for DVR recordings in a few markets with more areas scheduled to be added. 

The X1 Experience will have a cloud DVR opportunity where individual DVR recordings are not stored on the in-home device. This cloud DVR experience would really negate the need for a limited and physically in-the-home hard drive and all boxes could be AnyRoom DVRs. Plus the opportunity to retain your DVR recordings should you move or you need to replace the DVR.

Once the DVR recordings are in the cloud, you can also view the recordings from any internet connected device.

You can get additional information on that feature at the link below: 

http://corporate.comcast.com/news-information/news-feed/comcast-launches-x1-dvr-with-cloud-technolog...

The opportunity for activating the e-SATA port on our X1 devices is on our feature roadmap. I don't have a timetable to announce just yet for that.

Thanks for your patience as we work to improve the experience.

The external hard drive feature is not currently active on our X1 Platform.

This feature is on the X1 product roadmap but I don't have a timetable or schedule for that feature that I can announce just yet. Thanks for your patience.  

Official Employee

@tessiebunny wrote:

I was on the support chat for a little over an hour; they sent a signal to my box and now my DVR expander is working Smiley Happy

If anyone else is having issues, they might want to start with that first Smiley Happy

Good luck, everyone Smiley Happy

Great news and thanks for your patience and persistence. 

Official Employee

@1ofx5 wrote:

I'm in the Denver area and I am still receiving the Alert 08 message when I connect my external drive.  I contacted support chat and was informed to contact WD since my drive is a WD purple 1TB drive and not a My Book AV.  How will contacting WD resolve theAlert 08- "account not authorized to use external drives?" What am I missing?

Thanks

Apologies for the delay. I have been out of the office on vacation and just returned today. As per our PM exchange, I sent a refresh signal to your DVR earlier today and your external drive should work now. Thanks for your patience.  

Official Employee

@ccq wrote:

Two questions:

1.  Has the services been activated in Jacksonville FL?  The last forum post from ComcastTeds about Florida says not until the week of June 3rd but the support page says it has been activated in all areas for Motorola DVRs. 

2.  If it has been activated, or when it is, if I still get the Alert 08 what should I tell tech support when I call them?  So far I've called twice (today and a year ago when it was originally published that the service was active) and both times the tech support person had no idea what a DVR storage expander is much less how to assist me.

Thank you.

Apologies, this feature is not available yet in areas of Florida where we use Motorola-branded DVRs. This feature is currebntly expected to be activated in the remainaing areas of Florioda later this month.

Thanks for your continued patience.

Once this feature is activated in the remaining areas of Florida, you can send me a PM with some account information and I can get your DVR "hit".

Private Messages (PM’s)

You can click on my name (ComcastTeds) and scroll down to a link that says “Send this user a private message”.

At the top of each Forum page you will see a small envelope

This is the icon for Private Messages, referred to as ‘PM’s’. A Private Message is a way to communicate in private, to another User, Moderator, or Administrator out of public view in the Forums.

The gray envelope icon will have a number next to it if you have any new messages waiting. 

To open a PM to read it, double click on the envelope. If you click on the white envelope a window will open with tabs for your Private Message Inbox, Sent Messages, Friends, Ignored Users, and Compose new Message. You can also access this area by clicking on the Username in a Thread or post. By default, Private Messages are enabled. You can disable this feature in My Settings>Preferences> Private Messenger.

Official Employee

@Jeffkahn wrote:

Does the external hard drive work with the Motorola DCX3400? It has an esata plug in the back but I didn't see it listed as one of the Motorola boxes that works. 

Thanks.....

We have seen (and continue to see) inconsistent results with the DCX3400 model in our labs and employee testing. Some observations included boxes locking up. This required a box reboot (unplug and re-plug AC power) in order to restore video service. This is not a desired or intended customer experience.

Other customers and testers reported no issues. Due to the very inconsistent behavior and not readily understanding the trigger point for the box lock up, the DCX 3400 is not currently on our list of supported devices for this feature. 

Certainly, now knowing the identified risk that I outlined, one could attempt to try it out with that known caveat. 

If it works for you, then you may not need to swap the DVR out for another model. If it doesn't work to your satisfaction, then a DVR swap may be in order.

Our teams (along with Arris, the new name for the former Motorola cable box division) have identified and resolved this particular issue and have a bundled firmware update to address this. That is scheduled to start being delivered to cable boxes over the summer.  

Thanks for your patience.  

Regular Visitor

Tried it with my DCX3400 and it worked perfectly (went from 78% to 16%) so no problems on my end (knock on wood).

Thanks....

New Poster

I have the external DVR expander hooked up to my tv but it still says I can't use it. I have received 2 emails. They both said it is available to use but it, first one said it'd be available in Utah by the end of April. I just got another email today saying that i should be able use my DVR expander but as I said earlier, it still doesn't work. I have called comcasts tech support a number of times and they tried to help me. Even after we shut down everything then one at a time connect them back up. And still get the message saying it's not available yet. One told me it wasn't going to be available yet. I am VERY frustrated and discouraged. Can anybody help me with this problem???
Regular Visitor

Thanks Ted, that did the trick. The digital gods have been appeased.

Official Employee

@dlmwood wrote:
I have the external DVR expander hooked up to my tv but it still says I can't use it. I have received 2 emails. They both said it is available to use but it, first one said it'd be available in Utah by the end of April. I just got another email today saying that i should be able use my DVR expander but as I said earlier, it still doesn't work. I have called comcasts tech support a number of times and they tried to help me. Even after we shut down everything then one at a time connect them back up. And still get the message saying it's not available yet. One told me it wasn't going to be available yet. I am VERY frustrated and discouraged. Can anybody help me with this problem???

Apologies for any confusion we may have caused.

This feature was only just recently activated in your area.

I just sent a refresh signal to your cable box and your external hard drive should now be recognized by the DVR. Please let me know and thanks for your patience.

Contributor

According to message 920 of this thread it's still not available in Florida, however in an article title:

"

External DVR Storage - Expanding the Storage Capacity of your Digital Video Recorder (DVR)" updated on May 27, 2014

I read this:

"Comcast Areas Where DVRs Support External Hard Drives

To see which Comcast DVR you have, look for the MotorolaCisco or Scientific Atlanta label on your Comcast DVR. 

Cisco and Scientific Atlantic (SA) Comcast DVRs

Cisco and Scientific Atlanta DVRs support external hard drives in all Cisco/SA Markets. For the Cisco RNG 200 and RNG200N you would need to have the traditional "blue" on-screen guide. Most of our customers with these DVRs have this guide.

Motorola Comcast DVRs

Motorola DVRs support external hard drives in all markets."

I have a Motorola DVR, so is it time for me to purchase the external drive?

Official Employee

@Orcrone wrote:

According to message 920 of this thread it's still not available in Florida, however in an article title:

"

External DVR Storage - Expanding the Storage Capacity of your Digital Video Recorder (DVR)" updated on May 27, 2014

I read this:

"Comcast Areas Where DVRs Support External Hard Drives

To see which Comcast DVR you have, look for the MotorolaCisco or Scientific Atlanta label on your Comcast DVR. 

Cisco and Scientific Atlantic (SA) Comcast DVRs

Cisco and Scientific Atlanta DVRs support external hard drives in all Cisco/SA Markets. For the Cisco RNG 200 and RNG200N you would need to have the traditional "blue" on-screen guide. Most of our customers with these DVRs have this guide.

Motorola Comcast DVRs

Motorola DVRs support external hard drives in all markets."

I have a Motorola DVR, so is it time for me to purchase the external drive?

Expected to be available in Florida for Motorola branded DVRs by the end of this month. Thanks for your patience. 

Official Employee
Moved:

Frequent Visitor

Hi Ted, are we finally live in South Florida?
Frequent Visitor

And North Florida?  Or have we run into more unexpected difficulties?  Due to legacy issues, no doubt.

Contributor

One more from the great unwashed in south Florida. Did this estimated date pass again?

Regular Visitor

Hi:   What is the new schedule for the Jacksonville Florida?

Is this the seventh or eight promised schedule?

Regular Contributor

I wonder why we get no response to these questions???? 

Contributor

My bet is even their spokemen eventually get embarrassed by the continued failed delivery of the product.

Regular Contributor

@billybh wrote:

My bet is even their spokemen eventually get embarrassed by the continued failed delivery of the product.

Don't know.. but Ted moved the X1 piece of this to a separate thread and haven't heard a reply to questions posted there either, only that a Cloud based solution is on the off'ing at some point or available (I think) in some areas (for X1)..  Heard both fee and free.. don't know which..   :-(

Official Employee

Apologies. It certainly appears that this area has been delayed again.

Unfortunately, I do not have an updated status on the timing for this feature for our remaining areas of Florida that I can provide right now.

The following areas of Florida (all areas with Cisco or Scientific-Atlanta branded DVRs) do already have this feature available:

Panama City

Panama City Beach
Sarasota area

Redlands area (south of Miami)
West Palm Beach area

Frequent Visitor

I relied on your promise in June 2013 that the feature would go live in Florida in 2-3 weeks.  I bought a $100 hdd in reliance of that promise.  Over a year later and many new dates passed, it is again "delayed".  I never would have bought the useless drive if not for seeing this forum when I was getting my cable installed.  I have not upgraded to x1 as I have been waiting for this solution to come first.

I demand a $100 credit to my account

Contributor

Good luck. 

I have to say that once Comcast gets the pipe to the house up and running, I have been satisfied with them. Their Internet Cable speed is great and I really have no problems with their TV service. I think their software that runs on their DVRs is crappy and they simply wont spend the money to upgrade it. Its inconceivable they dont know how bad it is. 

But.... I have been reading the saga of Florida HDD Service for the same two years now myself. We are apparently not worth the resources to address this problem. 

Contributor

Hello ComcastTed. Being as we're heading into August now, is the DCX3400 firmware fix still slated for sometime this summer or end of summer fall?
Official Employee

@Glenn54 wrote:
Hello ComcastTed. Being as we're heading into August now, is the DCX3400 firmware fix still slated for sometime this summer or end of summer fall?

We still have plans to start to deploy this update to customers over the summer. It won't be out to all customers over the summer. 

Summer ends September 23. Thanks for your patience..  

This specific fix is part of a larger bundled software and firmware release. The specific fix is included in this upcoming release.

This bundled release has gone through our QA process and is in extended employee trials to validate all of the identified issues are corrected and new features work as expected so that we can deliver a better experience. 

This referenced upcoming release for our Motorola DVRs will also have support for external hard drives up to 2 TB.  

The geographic release schedule has not yet been announced and is subject to change. Thanks again for your patience and apologies it is taking as long as it is taking.   

New Poster

Is there any difference between DCH3416 and DCH3416R in regards to compatibility with an external hard drive? Our new WD My Book does not work with our DCH3416R (not recognized/no menu prompt to format the drive), but it does work with our other DVR which is a DCT3416 model.  There was an earlier post on this thread of someone saying that it was working with their DCH3416R model so I am hopeful.  Thanks.

Problem Solver

Which model drive do you have? The information I have seen says that the DVRs works with the My Book AV and similar drives. This drive is 1TB only. This is not the same as a regular My Book drive.

There may be some limitation with the DVRs so that they only support drives up to a maximum capacity of 1TB.

New Poster

Thanks.  Yes we have the WD My Book DVR Expander 1TB drive.

New Poster

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@kab1 wrote:

ComcastTeds,

Amazon is selling this 1TB expander  #WDBABT0010HBK-NESN.  Will this model work or do you have to have the specific model #WDBACS0010HBK-NESN from this link.

http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus/en_US/pd/productID.254791800/parid.13092300/catid.5926230...

Just to add to what JayInAlg posted above: 

Comcast DVRs currently only support external hard drives that provide up to 1 terabyte of storage capacity, and only the specified Western Digital external hard drive has been verified to work with Comcast DVRs.

Other external hard drives that are 1 TB or lower should work just fine but they have not been verified or tested by Comcast. I have seen in other online forums where customers have bought the drive that you referenced and they reported that it worked fine.

The bottom line is that we have tested and verified the Western Digital Drive model WDBACS0010HBK-NESN which is available at the link below:

http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus/en_US/pd/productID.254791800/parid.13092300/catid.5926230...

If you want to purchase a different e-SATA drive (1TB or less), you are welcome to do so at your own risk. I believe that this would be a limited risk. 

I realize this is a quote of what was posted way back in message #19, but it pertains to my question. I use a Motorola DCX3400, and I understand from reading some of the messages in this topic, that official support for this model will be rolled out as a firmware update over the summer (summer ending on Sept. 23). Here is my question:

I would like to save a few dollars and buy the same drive that kab1 was looking at in the quote above. You said there was limited risk, and that you had seen others having good luck with it as reported in other forums. I realize that there is risk, but do you think my risk greater than others, given that I have the DCX3400?

Thank you!

Official Employee
Moved:

started new thread for upcoming bundled guide release (Motorola set tops)

Frequent Visitor

Vent

For the love of fantasy sports, when is south FL going to be addressed!  NFL season starts next week, and I have an external HD that has been starving for recordings for a year!!  I don't know what's worse, that Comcast has been unable or unwilling to do it, or that they strung us along with various meaningless completion dates for so long.  I have a feeling they've dropped the project in South FL and won't even acknowledge it, otherwise they would have at least been able to give a realistic completion target and actually hit it.

/Vent

Official Employee

@Beach11 wrote:

Vent

For the love of fantasy sports, when is south FL going to be addressed!  NFL season starts next week, and I have an external HD that has been starving for recordings for a year!!  I don't know what's worse, that Comcast has been unable or unwilling to do it, or that they strung us along with various meaningless completion dates for so long.  I have a feeling they've dropped the project in South FL and won't even acknowledge it, otherwise they would have at least been able to give a realistic completion target and actually hit it.

/Vent

Apologies. Unfortunately, I do not have an updated status on the timing for this feature for our remaining areas of Florida that I can provide right now. The project has not been dropped. Thanks for your continued patience.

The following areas of Florida (all areas with Cisco or Scientific-Atlanta branded DVRs) do already have this feature available:

Panama City
Panama City Beach
Sarasota area
Redlands area (south of Miami)
West Palm Beach area

Contributor

Any Idea on When they will allow an External Hard Drive on the X1 system.  Per one of the post earlier this year, the cloud feature was supposed to add space.  Come to find out on that forum it doesn't add recording space.  I have an external hard drive that has been sitting around for a year waiting to be connected and Comcast seem to refuse to open the eSast port to allow a customer to hook up there own hard drive.  This has been the most fustrating year.  I have been told one thing on one thread and another on a different thread.  All I want to do is record football games as I work third shift and sleep during the day. My DVR is around 95% full.  Tired of deleting recording and just to want to watch them again and find I can get them ondemand, if I want to pay for them

Official Employee

@neilz wrote:

Any Idea on When they will allow an External Hard Drive on the X1 system.  Per one of the post earlier this year, the cloud feature was supposed to add space.  Come to find out on that forum it doesn't add recording space.  I have an external hard drive that has been sitting around for a year waiting to be connected and Comcast seem to refuse to open the eSast port to allow a customer to hook up there own hard drive.  This has been the most fustrating year.  I have been told one thing on one thread and another on a different thread.  All I want to do is record football games as I work third shift and sleep during the day. My DVR is around 95% full.  Tired of deleting recording and just to want to watch them again and find I can get them ondemand, if I want to pay for them

Thanks for sharing your feedback.  

With our X1 platform, our intent is to be able to use the cloud for DVR recordings in more and more areas this year. In many areas, the X1 Experience already has a cloud DVR opportunity where individual DVR recordings are not stored on the in-home device. This cloud DVR experience would really negate the need for a limited and physically in-the-home external hard drive and all boxes could be AnyRoom DVRs.

Plus the opportunity to retain your DVR recordings should you move or you need to replace the DVR. And the opportunity to access and playback your recordings from any internet-enabled device.

The packaging strategy for additional storage space for X1 devices has not yet been announced.

Enabling the e-SATA port on the X1 platform for external hard drives is on the X1 product roadmap. There have not been timelines announced publicly for that specific feature.

I have shared your feedback above directly with our X1 Product Management team. There are a few threads on Cloud DVR over in our X1 Forum that I know the X1 team is looking at regularly, you can also start up a new thread on External Hard Drives in the X1 Forum

Thanks again for your patience and feedback as we continue to work to improve the experience.

Regular Visitor

Re: Upcoming Bundled Guide release (A31) Motorola set tops [ Edited ]

Approx. one year ago I purchased the WD DVR Expander and hooked it up to a DCT6415 and everything worked well for almost a year. Three weeks I set down to watch a recorded program and received a message that said " External drive not connected. Please connect Drive 1" Alert 12. I tried everything to get the DVR to talk to the WD drive. I even took the DVR in and swapped it out for another. They gave me a DCX3400 witch has a 500GB drive. Great! Plugged in the WD Expander and nothing, no communication. Called WD support and they had me try several things. They decided to send me another DVR expander. Received it two weeks ago and plugged it in and everything worked fine for two weeks and then this morning I got a repeat of the message " External not connected etc". Called WD, they are sending another HD.

This is my question. Is the DCX3400 causing this frequent disconnect or is it software updates to the DVR in the middle of the night? I have A30 at this time.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.