Community Forum

External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expander)

Frequent Visitor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

ComcastTeds:

Not to be too presumptuous but I think Mike is asking if there are any technical differences between  "Comcast tested" WD AV model and the WD AV model sold on Amazon and other retailers, which would be helpful for all of us to know.

Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

@samgag wrote:

ComcastTeds:

Not to be too presumptuous but I think Mike is asking if there are any technical differences between  "Comcast tested" WD AV model and the WD AV model sold on Amazon and other retailers, which would be helpful for all of us to know.

Below excerpted from MikeWolf's earlier post - there does not appear to be much of a difference (post #793 on the previous page) or any difference that would be material.....

"I've spoken to Western Digital engineers several times and they have told me time and time again that there literally is no difference between the more expensive "Comcast tested" WD AV model and the WD AV model sold on Amazon, Bestbuy, and other retailers at a cheaper price. I know I and others have asked you before for clearification but one has never come. WD told me the different model numbers is for inventory purposes only".

And as I have said a few times in this thread from early on (see post 19 on page 1 of this thread from late 2012), it is very likely that most any external hard drive connected via an e-SATA cable would work (provided that is 1 TB or less). Those hard drives specifically designed for DVR use are probably preferable.

Many customers in this forum (and in other forums) have posted their individual successes with other devices from WD and other manufacturers. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

ComcastTeds:

Not to belabor the point, but for the geeks among us, what are the specific design features that render, "Comcast-tested" hard drives preferable for DVR use?  By the way, I have been using the "official" Comcast WD Drive for some time now and it's working out well.

Official Employee

@samgag wrote:

ComcastTeds:

Not to belabor the point, but for the geeks among us, what are the specific design features that render, "Comcast-tested" hard drives preferable for DVR use?  By the way, I have been using the "official" Comcast WD Drive for some time now and it's working out well.

There are really no specific design features.  

We just can’t test all brands, makes and models of e-SATA devices. We have verified that the WD drive specified works as expected in the areas where the feature is activated.   

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Valued Contributor

This is fully understood Teds. The non geeks may think it appears that with there being a recommendation/verification by Comcast for a hard drive that they and Western Digital is selling at a higher price, that there is something special about it compared to the retail model at the lower price, when there isn't, and possibly collusion between service providers and Western Digital. I mean Dish Network and Verizon FiOS are doing the same thing, and from what I've been told and subsequently posted in the past, their response when I questioned WD was that there is a sticker over the USB port on the FiOS model and a sticker over the eSATA port on the Dish Network model. I think this practice, at least for Dish Network, has stopped. From what I gather this entire exercise seems to be more of putting the less geeky customers mind at rest as that they see a drive is "approved" by their service provider and that's the one they pick.

I understand that Comcast cannot look at every brand of external hard drive expanders offered, but they could at least consider looking at the Seagate model to recommend as well http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/home-entertainment/digital-media-players/seagate-dvr-exp... since on multiple occasions I've come across many Comcast branded DVRs from various manufacturers that use Seagate's Video 3.5 HDD / Pipeline Hard Drives for the internal drive. Does Comcast think that offering their customers the recommendation of both a Seagate drive and a Western Digital drive would confuse their customers? I mean my concern is that a customer may choose the recommended drive by the sole criteria of that recommendation and not by criteria that actually suits their needs and end up unhappy with their service.
Official Employee

@MikeWolf wrote:
This is fully understood Teds. The non geeks may think it appears that with there being a recommendation/verification by Comcast for a hard drive that they and Western Digital is selling at a higher price, that there is something special about it compared to the retail model at the lower price, when there isn't, and possibly collusion between service providers and Western Digital. I mean Dish Network and Verizon FiOS are doing the same thing, and from what I've been told and subsequently posted in the past, their response when I questioned WD was that there is a sticker over the USB port on the FiOS model and a sticker over the eSATA port on the Dish Network model. I think this practice, at least for Dish Network, has stopped. From what I gather this entire exercise seems to be more of putting the less geeky customers mind at rest as that they see a drive is "approved" by their service provider and that's the one they pick.

I understand that Comcast cannot look at every brand of external hard drive expanders offered, but they could at least consider looking at the Seagate model to recommend as well http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/home-entertainment/digital-media-players/seagate-dvr-exp... since on multiple occasions I've come across many Comcast branded DVRs from various manufacturers that use Seagate's Video 3.5 HDD / Pipeline Hard Drives for the internal drive. Does Comcast think that offering their customers the recommendation of both a Seagate drive and a Western Digital drive would confuse their customers? I mean my concern is that a customer may choose the recommended drive by the sole criteria of that recommendation and not by criteria that actually suits their needs and end up unhappy with their service.

The drive that you referenced above should work just fine.

The internal hard drives in our DVRs come from a variety of sources and manufacturers.   

That 1 TB Seagate drive that you referenced is retailing at $109, the 1 TB WD drive that we validated has been selling at $99.99 all this month.  

http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus/en_US/pd/ThemeID.21986300/productID.254791800/parid.13092...

We usually don't test third party devices except in certain unique circumstances.

We worked with Western Digital as a marketing partner and to provide an easy solution, an easy answer and an easy process for any customer. .  

We don't currently plan to test additional external hard drives at our facility. 

We are very confident that most all external DVR types under 1 TB connected via the e-SATA cable will work as designed.

There is nothing preventing Seagate (or any other hard drive manufacturer) from testing and validating their device against our product lines.

Problem Solver

Can you say why there is a 1TB limit for the drive?

Official Employee

@MisterEd51 wrote:

Can you say why there is a 1TB limit for the drive?

Currently that is the limit that the current cable box firmware will support.

I know we have been testing some 2 TB models with our next firmware release.

Once I have some news on that to announce, I sure will do so.   

Frequent Visitor

So are you hopefully implying that the DCX-3400 bundled firmware and software update due out before summer will also support 2 TB external drives (since it's a current firmware issue)???  I don't plan on buying an external hard drive (1TB or 2 TB model) until I see that a31 on the screen....  Smiley Wink

Official Employee

@Central_PA wrote:

So are you hopefully implying that the DCX-3400 bundled firmware and software update due out before summer will also support 2 TB external drives (since it's a current firmware issue)???  I don't plan on buying an external hard drive (1TB or 2 TB model) until I see that a31 on the screen....  Smiley Wink

Possibly.

To level set expectations, I believe I said that customer deployment of that referenced bundled release is expected to start over the summer. Some features are still being tested.

Frequent Visitor

Touché, ComcastTeds!

Frequent Visitor

I quote Message 789, which stated "before the summer": 

@Glenn54 wrote:

Hello Comcast Ted. Any word on the firmware update for DCX3400?

Yes, the fix to officially support the DCX 3400 models for the external DVR feature is part of a bundled software and firmware release that is already in employee trials.
Customer deployments of that bundled release are currently expected to start before the summer. Thanks for your patience.   

Official Employee

@Central_PA wrote:

I quote Message 789, which stated "before the summer": 

Glenn54 wrote:

Hello Comcast Ted. Any word on the firmware update for DCX3400?

Yes, the fix to officially support the DCX 3400 models for the external DVR feature is part of a bundled software and firmware release that is already in employee trials.
Customer deployments of that bundled release are currently expected to start before the summer. Thanks for your patience.   

Understood and yes, we do expect to have some customer deployments to start before the summer.  

All of the above words are true. 

Regular Contributor

Ted..

I have a DCX3400 in the Hartford Area..  I'm in line to ge the upgrade to X1, but there are a few REALLY special shows I've had on the DVR..  Sounds like I can't use a eSATA connected drive yet (does firewire or USB get recognized?).  Any way possible to salvage those documentaries.  There used to be software that would allow you to connect to the DVR with a notebook on the DCTxxxx models and copy off the DVR drive.. not sure if anything like that exists still ..

Spoke with local Comcast this morning, and they spoke about connecting directly to a DVD/Blu-Ray recorder and writing the program to CD/DVD as it was actually playing from the DVR Hard Drive.. sort of recording things coming out the outputs of the DCX 3400...

Should I wait before upgrading to X1 given the possible rollout of DCX3400 support this summer?  I don't know if I would be able to copy from the 3400 and read in on the X1.

Appreciate any thoughts...

Jay S.

Regular Contributor

Just an Update for all.. was able to do firewire connection with latest firewire drivers and CAPDVHS

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/CapDVHS

This worked for the DCX3400 and Thinkpad T61..  You must unplug and plug DVR to have it recognized by laptop...

Drivers obtained at:

http://home.comcast.net/~exdeus/stbfirewire/

Allow capture to .ts or .mpg..  A little fussy though.. Have to hit record in CapdVHS and IMMEDIATELY hit play on the recorder material (assuming it is paused at the very beginning)..  But it does work and records at full 1920x1080 for unprotected shows...

Contributor

Is there any kind of update for your esteemed customers in south Florida?

Official Employee

@billybh wrote:

Is there any kind of update for your esteemed customers in south Florida?

Expected to have this feature activated in the remainder of Florida within the next 30 days. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor

How about a schedule on other areas?

Regular Visitor

What parts of Florida is this feature available now?

Official Employee

@Jeffkahn wrote:

What parts of Florida is this feature available now?

All areas where we use Cisco and Scientific-Atlanta DVRs have this feature activated.

For Florida that would generally be the areas of Naples, Sarasota, Panama City, West Palm Beach, Redlands,  Lake County, Orlando and Cape Coral.  

Official Employee

@LanceMoreland wrote:

We should have some more concrete information to announce regarding schedules for our remaining locations next week. 

Besides FL, the remaining locations include areas of AZ, CA, CO, ID, KS, NM, MN, MO, OR, UT, WI and WA.

Frequent Visitor

But to be clear this roll out does NOT include support for the dcx3400, right?

Official Employee

@czgomez wrote:

But to be clear this roll out does NOT include support for the dcx3400, right?

That is correct, that is a separate project.

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@LanceMoreland wrote:

We should have some more concrete information to announce regarding schedules for our remaining locations next week. 

Besides FL, the remaining locations include areas of AZ, CA, CO, ID, KS, NM, MN, MO, OR, UT, WI and WA.

03-04-2014 01:29 PM

01-09-2014 01:40 PM

@Anon1130359 wrote:

Hi,

I'm in Colorado (Denver) and I have the Motorola DCH3416 DVR.  Might you know the planned timeframe/date when this feature will FINALLY be enabled here?

I've waited patiently all through 2013 (and I bought my WD Extender in Sept, since you stated it would be available EVERYWHERE by the end of 2013), yet that date has come and gone with Colorado still 'off the list'.  Might you also offer an expanation of what 'other customer-focused priorities' that Comcast CO might have elected to work on instead that are causing this delay? I'm getting quite frustrated at any lack of action/progress here on this 'should be simple' upgrade.  Colorado/Denver never even gets a delayed target date cited...

Thanks in advance,

Tom in Denver

Apologies for the delay in getting this feature activated in your area.

We do have a meeting with the right teams scheduled for next week to ideally receive an update for our remaining locations. I will be sure to provide an update here after that meeting. 

Why do I feel like Charlie Brown when Lucy pulls the football away?  How many times do we have to hear "We should have some news next week" ?  I really don't understand why this is so difficult that it has to take 2 years or more to complete.  The only answer I can come up with is existing customers don't really matter to Comcast.  I guess that's what happens when you basically have a monopoly.  If I had any other choice I wouldn't hesitate dumping Comcast but unfortunately I don't so I am at their mercy.  It's extremely frustrating.

Dwight in WA

Frequent Visitor

I'm sorry to pile on, Ted, but from a customer perpective the rollout of this functionality has been a debacle. In post 15 of this thread on 11.21.2012 (sixteen months ago!) you said: "We plan to have this feature available in all locations in the first few months of 2013". Here we are nearly a quarter of the way through 2014(!) and 25% of Comcast's footprint still does not have this feature.

Worse yet, the capability has not been to deployed to any new areas for five over months. Seriously?!?! It's apalling there hasn't been any progress on this project for that long.

Comcast has frequently ignored us westcoasters when it comes to rolling out new features but you've reached new lows with this project.

Alan in Seattle

Frequent Visitor

The dark lord's world freezes over before Comcast gets any features up and running - unless they can make bucks off of you!

IF cell phone companies responded at the same rate we would still be sending out smoke signals.

Why should we have to continue to rent the same box for years - the rental we pay has already covered the cost - after two years or so (being generous.)

Regular Contributor

Worse, but perhaps not unexpected, I was told by a Comcast tech (level 2) that the plan for X1 is to charge for additional storage, cloud based.  I've also heard there is a plan to upgrade X1 boxes to 1TB vs. the 500GB currently..  So, I have no clue which is correct, or if there ever was plan to enable e-sata on X1.

Regular Visitor

ComcastTeds – An honest reply would be appreciated by all!

Contributor

I believe CT does speak the truth as he knows it. Who knows what his overlords tell him?

Contributor

I can't wait to see the wonders of a "one cable company" playing field.

Regular Contributor

One cable company or not, like it or not, the reality (at least for now) is that they are the best there is.  If you want the highest speed internet, etc. you're going to have to pay for it.  AT&T is bailing out of Connecticut entirely.. all customers to be picked up by someone else (forget who)..  I know some folks are happy with satellite, but the dropouts for me would be intolerable.  It is what it is.. not much dfifferent than Verizon on the cell phone side.

@billybh wrote:

I can't wait to see the wonders of a "one cable company" playing field.

Official Employee

@JaySinCT wrote:

Worse, but perhaps not unexpected, I was told by a Comcast tech (level 2) that the plan for X1 is to charge for additional storage, cloud based.  I've also heard there is a plan to upgrade X1 boxes to 1TB vs. the 500GB currently..  So, I have no clue which is correct, or if there ever was plan to enable e-sata on X1.

All of the above options are being considered and reviewed.

As I have said previously, enabling the e-SATA port on the X1 platform for external hard drives is on the product roadmap. There have not been timelines announced publicly for any of the above. Thanks!  

Official Employee
Moved:

Frequent Visitor

@ON 3/4/2014 (three weeks ago) ComcastTeds wrote:

So where is the update?

Frequent Visitor

Yes. I would like to know when Florida will have this capability to add an external HD to my Motorola DVR.
New Poster

ComcastTeds: Any new news on when this will be available in Washington State?

New Poster

If I already have a Motorola DCH3416 and live in WA, will it work?

Frequent Visitor

@Bellingham11 wrote:

Unfortunately, no. Comcast needs to turn on the eSATA port. If I'm not mistaken, some changes/upgrades need to happen at the headend first. I think that is the source of the delay.

Speculation: Headend upgrades are more difficult for us westcoasters because the infrastructure that Comcast inherited from Viacom/TCI/ATT has some (significant?) differences from the rest of Comcast's infrastructure.

New Poster

When will the capability to add an external hard drive to the Motorola DCH3416 rollout to Minnesota?

Official Employee

@LanceMoreland wrote:

Apologies for the delay in responding.

Customers who have Motorola-branded DVRs in our remaining areas of AZ, CA, CO, ID, KS, NM, MN, MO, OR, UT, WI and WA are currently scheduled to have this feature activated this month. 

I should have an additional update to provide for Florida soon.  

Thanks for your patience. 

Official Employee

@LanceMoreland wrote:

@ON 3/4/2014 (three weeks ago) ComcastTeds wrote:

So where is the update?

Customers who have Motorola-branded DVRs in our remaining areas of AZ, CA, CO, ID, KS, NM, MN, MO, OR, UT, WI and WA are currently scheduled to have this feature activated this month. 

I should have an additional update to provide for Florida soon.  

Official Employee

@LunaEros wrote:
Yes. I would like to know when Florida will have this capability to add an external HD to my Motorola DVR.

I should have an update to provide for Florida soon.  

Official Employee

@Bellingham11 wrote:

ComcastTeds: Any new news on when this will be available in Washington State?

Customers who have Motorola-branded DVRs in our remaining areas of AZ, CA, CO, ID, KS, NM, MN, MO, OR, UT, WI and WA are currently scheduled to have this feature activated this month. 

Highlighted
Official Employee

@AlanHa wrote:

@Bellingham11 wrote:

Unfortunately, no. Comcast needs to turn on the eSATA port. If I'm not mistaken, some changes/upgrades need to happen at the headend first. I think that is the source of the delay.

Speculation: Headend upgrades are more difficult for us westcoasters because the infrastructure that Comcast inherited from Viacom/TCI/ATT has some (significant?) differences from the rest of Comcast's infrastructure.

Customers who have Motorola-branded DVRs in our remaining areas of AZ, CA, CO, ID, KS, NM, MN, MO, OR, UT, WI and WA are currently scheduled to have this feature activated this month. 

Official Employee

@essel_b wrote:

When will the capability to add an external hard drive to the Motorola DCH3416 rollout to Minnesota?

The remaining areas of MN are currently scheduled to have this feature activated this month.

Regular Contributor

Any word on CT and customers with Motorola based X1 (or am I dreaming)?

:-)

Jay S.

Official Employee

@JaySinCT wrote:

Jay S.

We have started to use the cloud for DVR recordings in a few markets with more areas scheduled to be added.

The X1 Experience will have a cloud DVR opportunity where individual DVR recordings are not stored on the in-home device. This cloud DVR experience would really negate the need for a limited and physically in-the-home hard drive and all boxes could be AnyRoom DVRs. Plus the opportunity to retain your DVR recordings should you move or you need to replace the DVR.

Once the DVR recordings are in the cloud, you can also view the recordings from any internet connected device.

You can get additional information on that feature at the link below:

http://corporate.comcast.com/news-information/news-feed/comcast-launches-x1-dvr-with-cloud-technolog...

The opportunity for activating the e-SATA port on our X1 devices is on our feature roadmap. I don't have a timetable to announce just yet for that.

Thanks for your patience as we work to improve the experience.

Regular Contributor

I understand there is a move to the cloud, for an additonal fee.  I'm guessing most folks are like myself, and have SATA enclosures and drives we'd like to use.  I understand the benefit of a host stored environment, but for personal benefits, hooking up a 1TB drive would be cheaper in the long run vs. a monthly add on fee.

Thanks for the reply..
Jay S.

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@JaySinCT wrote:

Jay S.

We have started to use the cloud for DVR recordings in a few markets with more areas scheduled to be added.

The X1 Experience will have a cloud DVR opportunity where individual DVR recordings are not stored on the in-home device. This cloud DVR experience would really negate the need for a limited and physically in-the-home hard drive and all boxes could be AnyRoom DVRs. Plus the opportunity to retain your DVR recordings should you move or you need to replace the DVR.

Once the DVR recordings are in the cloud, you can also view the recordings from any internet connected device.

You can get additinal information on that feature at the link below:

http://corporate.comcast.com/news-information/news-feed/comcast-launches-x1-dvr-with-cloud-technolog...

The opportunity for activating the e-SATA port on our X1 devices is on our feature roadmap. I don't have a timetable to announce just yet for that.

Thanks for your patience as we work to improve the experience.

Regular Visitor

ComcastTeds,

I have two DCX3425R DVR's.  I added the 1 TB Western Digital drive to one of them, just to see if it would work.  The DVR will lock up every one to five days.  It will still show a picture on the current channel, but none of the buttons will do anything.

I when to the local office, to try and get a supported DVR.  They only have the DCX3400 series.  They told me it's the only option they ever have these days.  They also told me that the drive would work fine with it, so they don't know what they're talking about.  How can I get a supported DVR, that will work with the external drive?

Jim

Official Employee

@ManUnited8989 wrote:

ComcastTeds,

I have two DCX3425R DVR's.  I added the 1 TB Western Digital drive to one of them, just to see if it would work.  The DVR will lock up every one to five days.  It will still show a picture on the current channel, but none of the buttons will do anything.

I when to the local office, to try and get a supported DVR.  They only have the DCX3400 series.  They told me it's the only option they ever have these days.  They also told me that the drive would work fine with it, so they don't know what they're talking about.  How can I get a supported DVR, that will work with the external drive?

Jim

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above.

I have reached out to our local Chicago team about your issue - we should be able to get you a non-DCX 3400 DVR via a self install kit. That team will contact you directly with some options. Thanks for your patience.