Community Forum

External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expander)

Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola (DVR Expanders)

@WoodridgeGuy wrote:

I tried the Western Digital DVR expander with my Motorola DCX3400 box and it looked like it was working.  HOWEVER, after recording for a few days, it then gave an error message that the expander was  not connected.  I checked all connections but finally had to delete everything from the new drive and start over.  After working well for another week, it again gave the error message about not being connected.  It looks like the down side is that we will lose everything we have recorded periodically.  We will be putting it back in the box until we get a DVR that it is compatible with or Comcast/Motorola come up with a fix for the DCX3400.

Apologies for the described experience you had with the DCX 3400 DVR.

We have seen (and continue to see) inconsistent results with the DCX3400 model in our labs and employee testing. Some observations included boxes locking up. This required a box reboot (unplug and re-plug AC power) in order to restore video service. This is not a desired or intended customer experience.

Other customers and testers reported no issues. Due to the very inconsistent behavior and a potential for the DVR to lock up, the DCX 3400 is not currently on our list of supported devices for this feature. 

Certainly, now knowing the identified risk that I outlined, one could attempt to try it out with that known caveat. 

If it works for you, then you may not need to swap the DVR out for another model. If it doesn't work to your satisfaction, then a DVR swap may be in order.

Our teams (along with Arris, the new name for the former Motorola cable box division) have identified and resolved this particular issue and we now have a bundled firmware and software update to address this. That is scheduled to start being delivered to cable boxes the first half of this year.   

Thanks for your patience.  

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

@Central_PA wrote:

ComcastTeds, to help track this firmware change for the DCX3400, can you tell us what the lastest/current firmware version is, or if you know what the new firmware version  will be?  We at least have the A30 update here in central PA, but still trying to decide if we want to take a chance and spring for the WD My Book DVR Expander, know that it may lock up.....  Sure wish Comcast would prioritize this firmware update for all of us DCX3400 users.  It's long overdue!  When you say early 2014, are we talking January hopefully?

Our teams (along with Arris, the new name for the former Motorola cable box division) have identified and resolved this particular issue and have a bundled firmware and software update to address this. That is scheduled to start being delivered to cable boxes the first half of this year.   

We don't have any locations scheduled for this update for January or February. This is a bundled release so the new software version will be labeled a31.

Listed below is one way to confirm what version of guide code that you are on:

Using the Comcast silver remote control, press the Menu button twice. Select Setup, then Cable Box Set up, Arrow down to Configuration and press OK/Select on "Select To Display.

The top line of this page in white text will say S/W version. In that long line of letters and numbers you should currently be seeing a30. When the guide is updated, that part of the sequence will change to say a31.

Thanks for your patience.  

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

WoodridgeGuy,

Did you attempt a box reboot before deleting shows? I have had the same error as you a few times, but it reconnected after a box reboot with no loss of recordings.

Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

So what I am getting is the X1 system is probably never going to be able to have an external hard drive. The on demand is a great feature, but you can't purchase to many movies as you will run out of room and no way to expand storage for a while. It is fustrating
Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

Hello Comcast Ted. Here in Maryland last night, I had an firmware update alert on my TV screen. It asked if I would like to receive the update and select either "yes" or "no". This is the first time I've ever seen any sort of firmware update in this type of fashion before. I've been using my DCX3400 with my WD external hard drive now for several months with great success and wasn't sure if the update would clean my hard drive. I selected "no" for the time being and another message popped up that I would be notified again in 2 days. I wanted to wait until I heard back from you before I risk loosing my harddrive programming.  

Frequent Visitor

BSTNFAN wrote:  Did you attempt a box reboot before deleting shows? I have had the same error as you a few times, but it reconnected after a box reboot with no loss of recordings.

Thank you, BSTNFAN.  I had not tried that but now I did and it worked. 

Official Employee

@neilz wrote:
So what I am getting is the X1 system is probably never going to be able to have an external hard drive. The on demand is a great feature, but you can't purchase to many movies as you will run out of room and no way to expand storage for a while. It is fustrating

As stated a few times, we also do have activation of the e-SATA port (for the addition of external hard drives) on our X1 devices on our product roadmap. I don't have a timetable to announce for that just now. Also X1 is expected to have Cloud DVR storage activated this year.

Purchasing and-or renting On Demand movies does not take up any DVR storage space.

Official Employee

@Glenn54 wrote:

Hello Comcast Ted. Here in Maryland last night, I had an firmware update alert on my TV screen. It asked if I would like to receive the update and select either "yes" or "no". This is the first time I've ever seen any sort of firmware update in this type of fashion before. I've been using my DCX3400 with my WD external hard drive now for several months with great success and wasn't sure if the update would clean my hard drive. I selected "no" for the time being and another message popped up that I would be notified again in 2 days. I wanted to wait until I heard back from you before I risk loosing my harddrive programming.  

I checked with our product teams and with Western Digital and we don't believe this firmware update is from Comcast or from Western Digital. It may be a message regarding a firmware update for your television set.

Can you take a photo next time you see that?

Contributor

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@Glenn54 wrote:

I checked with our product teams and with Western Digital and we don't believe this firmware update is from Comcast or from Western Digital. It may be a message regarding a firmware update for your television set.

Can you take a photo next time you see that?

Ahhh...Duhhh........My bad. That's exactly what it was. I forgot that I recently re-connected wifi to my Samsung TV for movie streaming. It's over 2 years since I last hooked it up. Didn't even know Samsung had any updates for it. 

Frequent Visitor

So, any news from the meeting that was scheduled for last week (1-13 thru 1-17)?

Official Employee
Moved:

Contributor

That was a close call!!! I have about 40% of my WD drive loaded with cable programming and tonight, I get a message that reads "Hardrive not detected" when I attempt to watch a program. I was frantic because I'm well aware of what a re-format would mean to my saved programs Smiley Sad  So I just unplugged everything and plugged it back in and luckily everything was corrected Smiley Happy. Even after averaging about one glitch per every 30 days with my WD hardrive/DCX3400 combo, I'm still loving the extra space and loads of programming I'm able to save Smiley Happy

Frequent Visitor

Any news on when Utah might be getting this?

Official Employee

@darth_bender wrote:

Any news on when Utah might be getting this?

Apologies, I still don't have a confirmed date for Utah; still expected to be early this year. 

As soon as I have confirmation I will be sure and update this thread. Thanks for your patience.

Official Employee

For those thinking about obtaining the Western Digital Digital AV Book external hard drive in February, I wanted to pass along that Western Digital is offering a discount of ten dollars off for orders placed through 2/28/2014.

Instantly Add More Recording Hours to your DVR with My Book AV.
Get $10 off regular price until February 28, 2014. Promotional price: Only $99.99. 

Details at this link: http://store.westerndigital.com/mybookavcomcast

For our customers with Motorola branded DVRs:  Currently, the following areas where we use Motorola branded DVRs now have the DVR expander feature available:

• Comcast areas of AL, AR, CT, DC, DE, GA, IL, IN, KY, LA, MD, ME, MA, MI, MS, NH, NJ, OH, PA, NY, TN, VA, WV & VT.

As new areas are announced, we will list them in this thread and in the initial post. 
Schedules are subject to change.

Additional locations are scheduled to be announced on an ongoing basis. For customers with Motorola branded DVRs, please check the above to confirm availability before purchasing.   

For our customers with Scientific Atlanta or Cisco branded DVRs (including all of TX, most of NM and most of MN): The DVR Expander option is currently available to Comcast DVR customers in all areas. For the Cisco RNG 200 and RNG200N you would need to have the traditional "blue" on-screen guide.  

This product is not currently compatible with Comcast’s X1 Entertainment Operating System.

New Poster

O well. This is taking too long and extra $100 for additional space just doesn't make sense (comcast should foot the bill in my opinion).

I switched back to Uverse which by default gives me 155 hrs of HD recording time and record up to 4 HD shows at once. 

Official Employee

@4877banberry wrote:

O well. This is taking too long and extra $100 for additional space just doesn't make sense (comcast should foot the bill in my opinion).

I switched back to Uverse which by default gives me 155 hrs of HD recording time and record up to 4 HD shows at once. 

Glad to hear that you found an option that you are happy with. 

For others - Our X1 Platform does currently offer a 500 GB hard drive (roughly 100 hours of HD) and the option to record up to 4 HD shows at once.

Details here: http://www.comcast.com/x1

Regular Visitor

But the X1 platform does not offer any way to expand storage as 500 GB is far from acceptable based on even a normal amount of show retention PLUS it is not possible to even view future show schedules as the platform offers no way to scroll forward by day.

I am stuck with the X1 platform and will depart ways when my contract is up which is mainly based on numerous promises with little or no deliverables.

ComcastTed, I realize you need to adhere to the company line but please put yourself in our situation as for someone like me, I came to Comcast thinking I was getting quality product...

Highlighted
Problem Solver

@TChernesky wrote:

But the X1 platform does not offer any way to expand storage as 500 GB is far from acceptable based on even a normal amount of show retention PLUS it is not possible to even view future show schedules as the platform offers no way to scroll forward by day.

I am stuck with the X1 platform and will depart ways when my contract is up which is mainly based on numerous promises with little or no deliverables.

ComcastTed, I realize you need to adhere to the company line but please put yourself in our situation as for someone like me, I came to Comcast thinking I was getting quality product...

Sorry, but that's just silly.  500 GB may not be "acceptable" to you, but it is plenty enough for me.  100 hours of HD recorded content is quite a lot.  I've had the X1 for about six months now and I've only occasionall reached 70 percent full (as I just did Sunday recording my Seahawk Super Bowl victory). And the upcoming "Cloud" solution promises even more storage (but details are not very clear). 

The newly updated "preview" version of the Guide software does let you scroll by day; press the fast-forward and fast-rewind buttons.  This is a relatively new improvement and you may not have heard about it.  If you go to the x1 forum on this site you'll find a lot of discussion on this and other features.  If you have not already been prompted to install the new Guide software, you will be soon.

I think there are many areas that Comcast should work on to further improve the X1 experience, so have patience and give it a try.  

Regular Contributor

@TChernesky wrote:

I found this on another thread.

I just accidentally found this!!!

I too had been asking for next day advance

FF and RR fast forward rewind makes the guide go forward by a day or back again when you hit rewind!

Now I love it!!!

Official Employee
Moved:

X1 and Cloud DVR

Regular Contributor

I'm in South FL (Deerfield) and have been using the DCX3400M since Oct 2010.

Is there any update as to when my area would be allowed to use an external drive?

Also, since I have the DCX3400, I've read about the connection issues, and since it's using the a30 firmware, it would have to wait for the a31 to work properly with an external drive.

I was thinking about changing out to the X1, until I read about all the issues, and even a friend that works for Comcast said they've been having issues with it. So I'd still want to use my DCX3400 for a while longer, just wish I could expand my storage, since it's ususally 80-90%, and I have some programs I don't want to lose.

Contributor

My WD Hard Drive is really coming in handy loading up on olympic programming to watch laterSmiley Happy

Frequent Visitor

Still waiting for the switch to be thrown in the Denver area.  No update from Comcast since October of last year.  Sad. 

Official Employee

@LanceMoreland wrote:

Still waiting for the switch to be thrown in the Denver area.  No update from Comcast since October of last year.  Sad. 

Apologies again for the delay, we are now working on finalizing the timing and schedules for activating our remaining areas. As soon as I have a confirmed update I will be sure and post that information here.

Still expected to be early this year.  Thanks for your patience

Frequent Visitor

How about Las Cruces, NM, on the rollout of eSATA activation for Motorola DCT models?

I'm sure this is all sounding like a broken record, but I just found this thread a few days ago, and it looks like this external drive capability is way (read "years") behind the rollout schedule initially thought to be in the works. The A30 guide prerequisite has been implemented here. I don't know what all is needed technologically to activate the feature in the various Comcast areas, but it seems like it's basically a capability of the device more than the network, and to turn it on, or activate it, is just a low priority in Comcast competing workload.

Frequent Visitor

hdd

what a rip off. you can easily find a 1TB external hdd for less then half that price. how much is WD paying comcast to promote and offer only WD hhd's? can you use any external eSATA hard drive? i see no reason why it should be restricted to only this model.

since comcast doubled the storage required for shows it causes my dvr to always be full. the dvr's hdd capacity is a joke. not to mention they doubled the size but the picture still looks like garbage. i hooked my HD antenna up not to long ago and i'm always amazed at how good it looks compared to comcast. it makes you realize just how much comcast sucks.

Problem Solver

Re: hdd

--------------------------------------------------------------------
jno wrote:
what a rip off. you can easily find a 1TB external hdd for less then half that price. how much is WD paying comcast to promote and offer only WD hhd's? can you use any external eSATA hard drive? i see no reason why it should be restricted to only this model.
It may be possible to use any 1TB SATA drive with the DVR but there is no way for Comcast to test all the drives out there. Comcast apparently extensively tested WDs 1TB drive and found it to work well. You are free to test any external 1TB SATA drive you have but Comcast is not going to guarantee its compatibility.

jno wrote:
since comcast doubled the storage required for shows it causes my dvr to always be full. the dvr's hdd capacity is a joke. not to mention they doubled the size but the picture still looks like garbage. i hooked my HD antenna up not to long ago and i'm always amazed at how good it looks compared to comcast. it makes you realize just how much comcast sucks.
It may have more to do with the difference between ATSC and QAM and how broadcasters and cable operators use them. The digital broacast's ATSC standard is require to have error correction while cable's QAM does not. From the reference below:

"The coolest thing about QAM is that since it doesn't need all the error correction of an over-the-air modulation technique, it is much more efficient. This efficiency pays out by delivering 38 Mbps of throughput per 6Mhz channel -- about twice what ATSC is capable of."

HD 101: What is ATSC, PSIP, QAM, and 8-VSB?
http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/08/hd-101-what-is-atsc-psip-qam-and-8-vsb/

Cable operators also in order to squeeze more channels into the bandwidth they have like to compress the signal. This may lead to a degradation in viewed channels compared to broadcast. Cable operators can add error correction but how that compares to ATSC I do not know. Of course compression could negate any gains from error correction. From the reference below:

"Digital cable technology has allowed cable providers to compress video channels so that they take up less frequency space and to offer various two-way communication capabilities. This has enabled digital cable providers to offer more channels, video on demand services (without use of a telephone line), telephone services, high speed internet services, and interactive television services. In addition, digital cable technology allows for error correction to ensure the quality of the received signal and uses a secure digital distribution system (i.e. a secure encrypted signal to prevent eavesdropping and theft of service.)"

Digital cable
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_cable

Frequent Visitor

i highly doubt any newer hdd isn’t fast enough for a cable box. why can i not find any spec's on the My Book AV hdd? rpm, platter info and cache are not listed anywhere. it makes me wonder. one of my dvr's has an old Seagate ST3160215SCE 160GB 7200 RPM 2MB Cache. any newer hdd should have much better performance than that.

i guess it’s time to go trade-in my dvr's with 160GB drives. i have been putting it off because i didn’t feel like having to setup 50+ scheduled series. for some reason comcast doesn’t offer anyway to export/save your dvr settings so you can transfer them to a new box.

it still doesn't change the fact that comcasts picture quality looks terrible when compared to the crystal clear antenna. thanks.

Frequent Visitor

Yeah, I definitely agree that there needs to be a better way of transferring series scheduled recordings than with pencil and paper.

I wouldn't worry much about brand of HDD. This thread has lots of indicators that other eSATA enclosures with cheaper 1TB drives will probably work. The important thing is to ACTIVATE THE FEATURE FOR ALL OF US WITH DVRs THAT HAVE BEEN TESTED BY COMCAST. The regional have and have-not situation is ridiculous.
Frequent Visitor

Is this ever going to come to Florida?  I bought the WD drive in June of last year when it was expected to go live in weeks.

Official Employee

@MickMickle wrote:

How about Las Cruces, NM, on the rollout of eSATA activation for Motorola DCT models?

I'm sure this is all sounding like a broken record, but I just found this thread a few days ago, and it looks like this external drive capability is way (read "years") behind the rollout schedule initially thought to be in the works. The A30 guide prerequisite has been implemented here. I don't know what all is needed technologically to activate the feature in the various Comcast areas, but it seems like it's basically a capability of the device more than the network, and to turn it on, or activate it, is just a low priority in Comcast competing workload.

Apologies again for the delay, we are now working on finalizing the timing and schedules for activating our remaining areas. As soon as I have a confirmed update I will be sure and post that information here.

Still expected to be early this year.  Thanks for your patience.

Official Employee

@FAUguy wrote:

I'm in South FL (Deerfield) and have been using the DCX3400M since Oct 2010.

Is there any update as to when my area would be allowed to use an external drive?

Also, since I have the DCX3400, I've read about the connection issues, and since it's using the a30 firmware, it would have to wait for the a31 to work properly with an external drive.

I was thinking about changing out to the X1, until I read about all the issues, and even a friend that works for Comcast said they've been having issues with it. So I'd still want to use my DCX3400 for a while longer, just wish I could expand my storage, since it's ususally 80-90%, and I have some programs I don't want to lose.

Official Employee

@MickMickle wrote:

"Years" may be a stretch but I hear you.

The initial post in this thread where we first announced this feature is from November 2012, so yes, it's a bit more than one year but certainly it is not two years.

Over 75% of our nationwide footprint has this feature available already and we plan to activate the remainder of the areas fairly soon. There is some back office work that is needed at each location before the feature can be activated.

We are not activating any new areas until after the Olympics are over to minimize any possible disruption to viewing of these high-profile events. 

Apologies for the delays and thanks for your patience.   

Official Employee

@jno wrote:

Any 1 TB (or less) external drive connected via e-the SATA connection is expected to work (in the areas where the feature has been activated).  

This feature has been active for some time in Massachusetts and might be a better option than swapping out your 160 GB DVR. 

Official Employee

@kg33 wrote:

Is this ever going to come to Florida?  I bought the WD drive in June of last year when it was expected to go live in weeks.

Contributor

Hello Comcast Ted. Any word on the firmware update for DCX3400?

Frequent Visitor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

ComcastTeds wrote:

"Years" may be a stretch but I hear you.

The initial post in this thread where we first announced this feature is from November 2012, so yes, it's a bit more than one year but certainly it is not two years.

Over 75% of our nationwide footprint has this feature available already and we plan to activate the remainder of the areas fairly soon. There is some back office work that is needed at each location before the feature can be activated.

We are not activating any new areas until after the Olympics are over to minimize any possible disruption to viewing of these high-profile events. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're right: "years" is an exaggeration, which I don't usually do.  I should have researched a little more.  Your hands-off philosophy during the Olympics makes sense.  Thanks for the response! 

Official Employee

@Glenn54 wrote:

Hello Comcast Ted. Any word on the firmware update for DCX3400?

Yes, the fix to officially support the DCX 3400 models for the external DVR feature is part of a bundled software and firmware release that is already in employee trials.

Customer deployments of that bundled release are currently expected to start before the summer. Thanks for your patience.    

Valued Contributor

The specs for that Western Digital My Book AV is http://www.wdc.com/global/products/specs/?driveID=828&language=1 The current internal hard drive model used is the WD10EURX The specs for this hard drive is found here http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-701250.pdf
Valued Contributor

I've been using the seagate hard drive extender http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/home-entertainment/digital-media-players/seagate-dvr-exp... about any problems at all and I highly recommend it. Yes you can use any eSATA hard drive, however the hard drive usually performs best if it's running at 59,000 RPM and it's designed more for DVR service, but it's worth a shot.
Valued Contributor

It would be nice if Comcast started is MPEG-4 technology so it will have better compassionately and better pics lonely without artifacting.
Valued Contributor

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@Glenn54 wrote:

Sorry if this questions been asked before, but I'm looking at the 1TB DVR expander on Amazon's website and the one directly on WD's website have different model numbers. Do I need the exact model number DVR expander posted on the link here for things to operate properly? 

We specifically tested the Western Digital model that we link to in the initial post in this thread. 

Most any DVR Expander drive (at 1TB or less) connected via the e-SATA port to the listed DVR types will likely work. 

What exactly does this mean? I've spoken to Western Digital engineers several times and they have told me time and time again that there literally is no difference between the more expensive "Comcast tested" WD AV model and the WD AV model sold on Amazon, Bestbuy, and other retailers at a cheaper price. I know I and others have asked you before for clearification but one has never come. WD told me the different model numbers is for inventory purposes only.

Frequent Visitor

I reckon that by limiting the advertised equipment to the specific devices that Comcast says they've tested, then they can avoid problems (including complaints and service calls) resulting from customers use of fringe substitutes. That seems prudent, and I might do the same in their shoes. But they've pretty much said that probably any eSATA 1TB drive will work if you use them at your own risk. Let's be happy that the specs appear to be flexible enough to allow us to use alternative HDDs.
Official Employee

@MikeWolf wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@Glenn54 wrote:

Sorry if this questions been asked before, but I'm looking at the 1TB DVR expander on Amazon's website and the one directly on WD's website have different model numbers. Do I need the exact model number DVR expander posted on the link here for things to operate properly? 

We specifically tested the Western Digital model that we link to in the initial post in this thread. 

Most any DVR Expander drive (at 1TB or less) connected via the e-SATA port to the listed DVR types will likely work. 

What exactly does this mean? I've spoken to Western Digital engineers several times and they have told me time and time again that there literally is no difference between the more expensive "Comcast tested" WD AV model and the WD AV model sold on Amazon, Bestbuy, and other retailers at a cheaper price. I know I and others have asked you before for clarification but one has never come. WD told me the different model numbers is for inventory purposes only.

Apollogies, I'm not sure how we could be any more clear, but I will try:

TRANSLATION: We tested that specific device. It will work.

You don't have to and are not required to purchase the WD device that we link to; that is really for customer convenience. 

We also have a direct relationship and direct contacts with WD to assist any of our customers that may have issues. Some people like that. Others could care less.  

We didn't test a myriad of external devices, WD or otherwise.  

Customers have reported success with other devices (WD and other brands that are 1 TB or less) bought online or at traditional retailers as long as the devices are connected via the e-SATA port.

Regular Visitor

Very nicely stated and clear ComCastTED!

Valued Contributor

I understand. What I'm asking is what the criteria that Comcast uses to test these drives for them to be approved? Where other brands tested?
Official Employee

@MikeWolf wrote:
I understand. What I'm asking is what the criteria that Comcast uses to test these drives for them to be approved? Where other brands tested?

We did not test any other devices other than the one I specified.

Valued Contributor

Oh. Ok thanks for letting me know. What about the criteria?
Official Employee

@MikeWolf wrote:
Oh. Ok thanks for letting me know. What about the criteria?

Apologies, I'm not really sure what you are asking. Are you asking about a test report and test cases?

Can you send me a PM with exactly what you are asking and looking for and I can see if I can assist. Thanks!