Community Forum

External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expander)

Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

@JamminKen wrote:

I'm in the metro Atlanta area and would like to know if the My Book AV Comcast drive from western digital works with the Anyroom DVR boxes?

Yes, it will work on the main DVR to provide additional DVR storage. Any of the AnyRoom DVR boxes wil be able to access the DVR recordings.  

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

I have the lockup problem with dcx3425.  When will the firmware be pushed out in Michigan?

Thanks

Official Employee

@czgomez wrote:

I have the lockup problem with dcx3425.  When will the firmware be pushed out in Michigan?

Thanks

Apologies, yes the DCX 3400 series has shown inconsistent results.

The updated firmware that resolves this issue is expected to start deploying to DVRs in early 2014. I don't have a detailed schedule for any areas just yet.

One option may be to exchange your DVR for a model that is supported. Those are listed below:

Supported DVR Models

The following models of Comcast DVRs support external hard drives. If your DVR has an eSATA port on the back, it should support external hard drives with up to 1 terabyte of storage capacity.

• Motorola Comcast DVRs: DCH3416, DCH6416, DCT3412, DCT3416, DCT6412, DCT6416, DCX3501, RNG200N
  • Cisco/Scientific Atlantic (SA) Comcast DVRs: Cisco RNG200, Cisco RNG200N, SA 8000, SA 8000HD, SA 8010, SA 8010HD, SA 8300, SA 8300HD/HDC

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

I am once again confused by the statement of 'If your DVR has an eSATA port on the back, it should support external hard drives with up to 1 terabyte of storage capacity.'

I was informed by a reply in this forum that my X1 DVR which has a eSATA port, was not supported and I and numerous other's using the DVR would not be able to add external storage.

So my friends, what are the facts regarding the much needed storage to the X1 platform that seriously detracts from the superior delivery of the X1 box?

Problem Solver

@TChernesky wrote:

I am once again confused by the statement of 'If your DVR has an eSATA port on the back, it should support external hard drives with up to 1 terabyte of storage capacity.'

I was informed by a reply in this forum that my X1 DVR which has a eSATA port, was not supported and I and numerous other's using the DVR would not be able to add external storage.

So my friends, what are the facts regarding the much needed storage to the X1 platform that seriously detracts from the superior delivery of the X1 box?

You might be less confused if you note that the previous reply was expressly NOT talking about the X1 box and this is NOT the X1 forum. And as far as I know, you are correct:  the eSATA port on the X1 box is not currently active but may be in a future release.

Official Employee

@TChernesky wrote:

DVRs on our X1 platform do not currently support external hard drives.

More detailed information can be found in the initial post of this thread and the links provided there. Thanks!

Contributor

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@czgomez wrote:

Thanks

Apologies, yes the DCX 3400 series has shown inconsistent results.

The updated firmware that resolves this issue is expected to start deploying to DVRs in early 2014. I don't have a detailed schedule for any areas just yet.

One option may be to exchange your DVR for a model that is supported. Those are listed below:

Supported DVR Models

The following models of Comcast DVRs support external hard drives. If your DVR has an eSATA port on the back, it should support external hard drives with up to 1 terabyte of storage capacity.

• Motorola Comcast DVRs: DCH3416, DCH6416, DCT3412, DCT3416, DCT6412, DCT6416, DCX3501, RNG200N
  • Cisco/Scientific Atlantic (SA) Comcast DVRs: Cisco RNG200, Cisco RNG200N, SA 8000, SA 8000HD, SA 8010, SA 8010HD, SA 8300, SA 8300HD/HDC

I Had the lockup problem Comcast Ted referred to with my DCX3400. Thus far, it's only happened once since I installed the Hard Drive a month ago. If it's something that only happens once or twice a month, I can live with that until the software fix comes along. 

Contributor

UPDATE:Re: Drives other than the WD expander

@Lsimon wrote:

FYI - I bought the WD expander, the version on Amazon that is the same but has USB in addition to the SATA and it works great.  But a relative told me they tried  basic ESATA drive they had around the house and it worked fine. 

So I ordered the cheapest ESATA enclosure I could find, about $16 on Amazon, to try a second  DVR in the house.  I tried it both with an old 1.5TB drive and a 500MB drive that I had around the house from past PC upgrades and both worked just fine.  I know Comcast doesn't officially support these but if you're willing to give it a try without their support it is a good deal if you already have some old drives around the house.  If you have to buy a drive for the enclosure it probably isn't worth it.  Also - I have no idea if the 1.5TB drive is working at full capacity  or if it is limited to the 1TB limit that I've seen mentioned in various posts on this forum and elsewhere.

The only issue I have with the old drive in the cheap ESATA enclosure is that it is a little noisier, and runs a little hotter, than the WD DVR expander drive.

Wanted to report my experiances with the "other" drives.  I disconnected the one in the bedroom as it was a bit noisey overnight and the shelf it was on echoed the noise.  The official WD unit is quite a bit quieter.  The second unit has been problematic and we've stopped using it.  The whole DVR operation gets a bit sporatic, freezing up from time to time with it.  This has given us the additional headache of having lots of recordings that can no longer be accessed because they were recorded on the external hard drive.  The offical WD unit has given us no headaches and has been nice and quiet - although we don't use it in a room as quiet as our bedroom at night.

Bottom line:  I wouldn't bother trying to use an alterntive drive like I reported above to save a few bucks unless you're willing to consider it experimental and ready to deal with it not working properly over time.  I can't say what my issue was but it definitely isn't going as well as the WD DVR Expander which has been problem free.

New Poster

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola DVRs (DVR Expander)

@ComcastTeds wrote:

We plan to have this feature available in all locations in the first few months of 2013.

From what I'm finding online and speaking with reps, it's still not available in Seattle as of Dec., 2013, nor is there any indication of when we might see it.

1. Can you give an update as to when we might see it here? 

2. Can I update the firmware myself?

I don't understand why this would be disabled by default.  Cripple-ware?  If it's a support issue, how about just enabling the port and declaring that it's not a supported use, so the community can offer its own support?  This is frustrating.

Tags (3)
Contributor

Any chance of an update for the south Florida (Pompano Beach) area? 

Official Employee

@Bobdog61 wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

We plan to have this feature available in all locations in the first few months of 2013.

From what I'm finding online and speaking with reps, it's still not available in Seattle as of Dec., 2013, nor is there any indication of when we might see it.

1. Can you give an update as to when we might see it here? 

2. Can I update the firmware myself?

I don't understand why this would be disabled by default.  Cripple-ware?  If it's a support issue, how about just enabling the port and declaring that it's not a supported use, so the community can offer its own support?  This is frustrating.

Apologies, we don't yet have a detailed schedule for areas of CA, CO, UT, WA, AZ and OR due to identified business and customer priorities in those areas.

We continue to work with our teams in these areas to get a confirmed schedule for this feature to be activated. We expect that the feature will be activated in early 2014. 

Thanks for your patience.   

The feature has always been defaulted off. With the most recent software and firmware that is already on your DVR, we are now "prepared" to turn this feature on as the new default. The default is now "on" in most of our areas. 

There are some required configuration changes and back office work needed at each Comcast location in order to activate the e-SATA port.

We are activating the feature in new locations most every month and making the feature available in many areas as soon as possible instead of waiting to be 100% complete in all areas. This way more customers can start using the external hard drive space sooner. Most customers appreciate that. 

Highlighted
Official Employee

@billybh wrote:

Any chance of an update for the south Florida (Pompano Beach) area? 

The remaining work is currently scheduled to be completed in early 2014 in the remaining areas of Florida. Thanks for your patience.

Official Employee

For those thinking about obtaining the Western Digital Digital AV Book external hard drive in December, I wanted to pass along that Western Digital is offering a discount of ten dollars off for orders place through 12/31/2013.

Give the gift of big capacity to record more TV. Add more recording hours to your DVR with My Book AV. Get $10 off regular price until December 31, 2013. Promotional price: Only $99.99. 

Details at this llnk: http://store.westerndigital.com/mybookavcomcast

For our customers with Motorola branded DVRs:  Currently, the following areas where we use Motorola branded DVRs now have the DVR expander feature available:

• Comcast areas of AL, AR, CT, DC, DE, GA, IL, IN KY, MD, ME, MA, MI, MS, NH, NJ, OH, PA, NY, TN, VA, WV & VT.
  • LA: Houma

As new areas are announced, we will list them in this thread and in the initial post. 
Schedules are subject to change.

Additional locations are scheduled to be announced on an ongoing basisFor customers with Motorola branded DVRs, please check the above to confirm availability before purchasing.   

For our customers with Scientific Atlanta or Cisco branded DVRs (including all of TX, most of NM and most of MN): The DVR Expander option is currently available to Comcast DVR customers in all areas. For the Cisco RNG 200 and RNG200N you would need to have the traditional "blue" on-screen guide.  

This product is not currenly compatible with Comcast’s X1 Platform.

Official Employee
Moved:

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs

Regular Contributor

Are there any parts of Florida which have this upgrade yet?

I'm in the Panhandle area 32448..... is it available here yet?

Thanks

Official Employee

@psdstu wrote:

Are there any parts of Florida which have this upgrade yet?

I'm in the Panhandle area 32448..... is it available here yet?

Thanks

All areas of FL where we use Cisco or Scientific-Atlanta branded DVRs already have this feature active. The Cisco or Scientific-Atlanta name should be visible on the front panel of your DVR.

For Florida, that generally would include the following areas: Panama City, West Palm Beach, Sarasota, Naples and the Redland area and areas southwest of Miami (Kendall, Homestead, Florida City) .

We use Motorola-branded DVRs in your area of Marianna, FL and this feature is not yet active in this area. Should be in early 2014. Once I have additional details I will post them here. Thanks.

New Poster

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@stlchatti wrote:

Comcast Ted,

I live in the Chattanooga, TN area and have purchased a WD My Book AV to extend my DVR.  When I plug in, I am getting the "Alert 08" message that my account is not authorized.  The WD folks have told me the expander is compatible with my DVR, which is a Motorola DCH3416 and it is a Comcast issue.  I've spoken to a couple people at Comcast on the phone who are not sure how to solve the problem. This is the second DVR I've tried (someone suggested trying a different DVR), both of which I got here at the Chattanooga office.

Can you lead me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Matt Hauber

Ooltewah,TN

Apologies for the delay in responding.

Yes, the external hard drive is expected to work in your area on the DVR that you mentioned. I am having someone take a look at your account to see what the issue could be and to resolve it.

Alert 08 is on us to resolve. Thanks for your patience.

ComcastTeds,

Still unresolved!  Still getting the Alert 08 error.  I had a Comcast tech at the house the other day for an unrelated issue and he didn't even know that external hard drives were allowed to be hooked up and he'd never seen one before.  He called his manager and he didn't know what to do either.  Seems like the Chattanooga, TN area has never used an external drive before!

Patiently waiting,

Matt Hauber

Ooltewah, TN

Regular Contributor

Thanks Ted regarding the 32448 are update. 

I hope your right about the "Early 2014" timeframe...... and maybe that will mean January!!!! We will see how well Comcast does with this timeline. Very frustrating when you consider this post was started over a year ago and some areas are still waiting.... but thats they way it is.

I have a DCT3416 DVR and have tried to get Comcast to at least ship me a RNG200N DVR to provide more hardrive space....... my local office doesn't carry anything larger then the DCT3416, and they said I should call Comcast to request one be shipped. After calling Comcast and requesting they send me a RNG200N DVR, yesterday I received a DCT3416 DVR via UPS and not the RNG200N I had requested. After calling Comcast support I have once again requested that a RNG200N be shipped to me.....guess I will take the DCT3416 I received yesterday to my local Comcast office and hope that Comcast can ship the correct larger size DVR I requested. Not sure why this happened.... but Comcast is a large company and sometimes mistakes happen, waiting to see if Comcast can correct this.

Thanks.

Official Employee

@stlchatti wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@stlchatti wrote:

Comcast Ted,

I live in the Chattanooga, TN area and have purchased a WD My Book AV to extend my DVR.  When I plug in, I am getting the "Alert 08" message that my account is not authorized.  The WD folks have told me the expander is compatible with my DVR, which is a Motorola DCH3416 and it is a Comcast issue.  I've spoken to a couple people at Comcast on the phone who are not sure how to solve the problem. This is the second DVR I've tried (someone suggested trying a different DVR), both of which I got here at the Chattanooga office.

Thanks,

Matt Hauber

Ooltewah,TN

Yes, the external hard drive is expected to work in your area on the DVR that you mentioned. I am having someone take a look at your account to see what the issue could be and to resolve it.

ComcastTeds,

Still unresolved!  Still getting the Alert 08 error.  I had a Comcast tech at the house the other day for an unrelated issue and he didn't even know that external hard drives were allowed to be hooked up and he'd never seen one before.  He called his manager and he didn't know what to do either.  Seems like the Chattanooga, TN area has never used an external drive before!

Patiently waiting,

Matt Hauber

Ooltewah, TN

Wow, way sorry about all of this. I hadn't heard back from you and mistakenly assumed that this was corrected. My fault entirely.

The local TN team did take a look at your account again just now and saw the issue (all on our end). The issue should be resolved now and someone from our Tennessee team will contact you directly to confirm that you are all set.

Apologies again, please let me know if this is now working for you.

New Poster

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@stlchatti wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@stlchatti wrote:

Comcast Ted,

Thanks,

Matt Hauber

Ooltewah,TN

ComcastTeds,

Patiently waiting,

Matt Hauber

Ooltewah, TN

Wow, way sorry about all of this. I hadn't heard back from you and mistakenly assumed that this was corrected. My fault entirely.

The local TN team did take a look at your account again just now and saw the issue (all on our end). The issue should be resolved now and someone from our Tennessee team will contact you directly to confirm that you are all set.

Apologies again, please let me know if this is now working for you.

RESOLVED!  Thanks for the help.  Everything's working great now.

Matt Hauber

New Poster

Can you tell me if the DCX3400M DVR has had the issues resolved and is now supported for an External Hard Drive?  If yes, which one or please provide a link to it.  I really want to get one before the Olympics begin!  I live in Massachusetts.

Thank you,

Cindy

Official Employee

@Cindy3877 wrote:

Can you tell me if the DCX3400M DVR has had the issues resolved and is now supported for an External Hard Drive?  If yes, which one or please provide a link to it.  I really want to get one before the Olympics begin!  I live in Massachusetts.

Thank you,

Cindy

Apologies, yes the DCX 3400 series has shown inconsistent results. Some customers have reported no issues while we have seen some lockups also reported.  

Supported DVR Models:

Our X1 Platform does not currently support this feature.

New Poster

That would be a hardship to exchange my DVR. I have a lot on it, which is why I want an External Drive. I'm disappointed that the issues still aren't resolved. This box has been out a long time. Is there any External Drive I can try that works for most people on my current DVR model?

Thanks for your help,

Cindy 

Frequent Visitor

Cindy,

I am also in Massachusetts with the same series of box. You can hook up the external drive and get the expanded storage space, but you may experience some problems until the firmware update happens. The biggest issue I get is that occasionally the box will lock up completely and I have to pull the plug and reboot to fix it. It happens randomly, I went a few weeks without a lockup, but then have had two in the last couple of days. Sometimes, it's not a full lockup, but the box loses communication with the external drive. When that happens, it will continue to use the internal drive, but if you try to play back something from the external it shows an error message. Unfortunately, the only fix I have found for that is still to pull the plug and reboot. So far, I have not lost anything that has recorded, but on my last lockup I didn't catch it until two scheduled recordings were missed. For me, the expanded storage has been enough of a bonus that it has been worth it, but I look forward to the updated firmware so that I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Official Employee

RESOLVED!  Thanks for the help.  Everything's working great now.

Matt Hauber

Glad to hear it. Apologies again for the delay and thanks again for your patience. 

New Poster

Thank you so much BSTNFANfor sharing your experience with me!  I wish Comcast would fix this once and for all so these issues don't happen. 

Frequent Visitor

In for updates on when this gets rolled out in Oregon for Motorola RNG200N

Frequent Visitor

What is the holdup on this seemingly simple update?  We were promised this by last summer and still nothing for most of the country.  No new areas have been added for months.

Frequent Visitor

You list the Cisco RNG200N will support the ext drive but will it now support it with th Anyroom menu system yet?
Regular Contributor

In our area 32448 we are supposed to get this in "Early 2014"..... mind you we were first told it was going to be 2012, then 2013, now 2014...... do we see a pattern here yet?

Official Employee

@javadavado wrote:

In for updates on when this gets rolled out in Oregon for Motorola RNG200N

Apologies, we don't yet have a detailed schedule for areas of CA, CO, UT, WA, AZ, OR and FL due to identified business and customer priorities in those areas.

We continue to work with our teams in these areas to get a confirmed schedule for this feature to be activated. We expect that the feature will be activated in early 2014. 

The feature has always been defaulted off. With the most recent software and firmware that is already on your DVR, we are now "prepared" to turn this feature on as the new default. The default is now "on" in most of our areas. 

There are some required configuration changes and back office work needed at each Comcast location in order to activate the e-SATA port.

We are activating the feature in new locations most every month and making the feature available in many areas as soon as possible instead of waiting to be 100% complete in all areas. This way more customers can start using the external hard drive space sooner. Most customers appreciate that. 

Official Employee

@LanceMoreland wrote:

What is the holdup on this seemingly simple update?  We were promised this by last summer and still nothing for most of the country.  No new areas have been added for months.

Most of the country actually does have this feature activated. Apologies for the delay in your area.

We don't yet have a detailed schedule for areas of CA, UT, WA, AZ, OR and FL due to identified business and customer priorities in those areas.

For our customers with Motorola branded DVRs:  Currently, the following areas where we use Motorola branded DVRs now have the DVR expander feature available:

• Comcast areas of AL, AR, CT, DC, DE, GA, IL, IN, KY, MD, ME, MA, MI, MS, NH, NJ, OH, PA, NY, TN, VA, WV & VT.
  • LA: Houma

As new areas are announced, we will list them in this thread and in the initial post. 
Schedules are subject to change.

Additional locations are scheduled to be announced on an ongoing basisFor customers with Motorola branded DVRs, please check the above to confirm availability before purchasing.   

For our customers with Scientific Atlanta or Cisco branded DVRs (including all of TX, most of NM and most of MN): The DVR Expander option is currently available to Comcast DVR customers in all areas. For the Cisco RNG 200 and RNG200N you would need to have the traditional "blue" on-screen guide.  

This product is not currently compatible with Comcast’s X1 Platform.

Official Employee

@tigergator wrote:
You list the Cisco RNG200N will support the ext drive but will it now support it with th Anyroom menu system yet?

For our customers with Scientific Atlanta or Cisco branded DVRs (including all of TX, most of NM and most of MN): The DVR Expander option is currently available to Comcast DVR customers in all areas

For the Cisco RNG 200 and RNG200N you would need to have the traditional "blue" on-screen guide.  

Official Employee

@psdstu wrote:

In our area 32448 we are supposed to get this in "Early 2014"..... mind you we were first told it was going to be 2012, then 2013, now 2014...... do we see a pattern here yet?

Apologies for the delay in your area of FL.

Not sure I ever said Florida would be ready in 2012 as we started this project in late 2012 (and the initial post of this thread was started in very late 2012). 

Expected to be early 2014 for your area of Florida. Thanks for your patience.  

New Poster

Hi,

I'm in Colorado (Denver) and I have the Motorola DCH3416 DVR.  Might you know the planned timeframe/date when this feature will FINALLY be enabled here?

I've waited patiently all through 2013 (and I bought my WD Extender in Sept, since you stated it would be available EVERYWHERE by the end of 2013), yet that date has come and gone with Colorado still 'off the list'.  Might you also offer an expanation of what 'other customer-focused priorities' that Comcast CO might have elected to work on instead that are causing this delay? I'm getting quite frustrated at any lack of action/progress here on this 'should be simple' upgrade.  Colorado/Denver never even gets a delayed target date cited...

Thanks in advance,

Tom in Denver

Frequent Visitor

+1 on the info for Colorado.

Regular Visitor

I would hope that the numerous issues, concerns and level of frustration being reflected by the postings are not a result of Comcast pushing new services and hardware (like the X1 platform and future Cloud technology) leaving numerous people without a totally operational piece of hardware that has been left in the dust because the newer technology will take it's place. 

Yes I fully understand this is not a X! forum but I willing to bet that Comcast won't fix the numerous issues with the X1 platform before they come out with the cloud announcement.

Hey, they have us where they want us, monthly billing with a substancial buy out.

I never said they are not good business people... 

New Poster

Anyone knows when will California have this?

Official Employee

@Anon1130359 wrote:

Hi,

I'm in Colorado (Denver) and I have the Motorola DCH3416 DVR.  Might you know the planned timeframe/date when this feature will FINALLY be enabled here?

I've waited patiently all through 2013 (and I bought my WD Extender in Sept, since you stated it would be available EVERYWHERE by the end of 2013), yet that date has come and gone with Colorado still 'off the list'.  Might you also offer an expanation of what 'other customer-focused priorities' that Comcast CO might have elected to work on instead that are causing this delay? I'm getting quite frustrated at any lack of action/progress here on this 'should be simple' upgrade.  Colorado/Denver never even gets a delayed target date cited...

Thanks in advance,

Tom in Denver

Apologies for the delay in getting this feature activated in your area.

We do have a meeting with the right teams scheduled for next week to ideally receive an update for our remaining locations. I will be sure to provide an update here after that meeting. 

Thanks for your continued patience.

Official Employee

@TChernesky wrote:

I would hope that the numerous issues, concerns and level of frustration being reflected by the postings are not a result of Comcast pushing new services and hardware (like the X1 platform and future Cloud technology) leaving numerous people without a totally operational piece of hardware that has been left in the dust because the newer technology will take it's place. 

Yes I fully understand this is not a X! Forum but I willing to bet that Comcast won't fix the numerous issues with the X1 platform before they come out with the cloud announcement.

Hey, they have us where they want us, monthly billing with a substancial buy out.

I'm not aware of "numerous issues" regarding external hard drives that haven't either been quickly resolved or openly disclosed in most all cases. 

Most of the recent attention has been (rightfully so) focused on our remaining locations that are expected to have this feature activated in early 2014.

There is no customer activation fee or additional monthly cost for the use of the customer-owned external hard drive device.

Regarding X1; new features, improvements and bug fixes are delivered almost weekly to our X1 devices.

Our very public goal is to be able to use the cloud for DVR recordings. The X1 Experience is expected to have a cloud DVR opportunity where individual DVR recordings are not stored on the in-home device.

This cloud DVR experience would really negate the need for a limited and physically in-the-home external hard drive and all boxes could be AnyRoom DVRs. Plus the opportunity to retain your DVR recordings should you move or you need to replace the DVR.

Our cloud trials have been going quite well and you can expect to hear more information on that soon.

As stated a few times, we also do have activation of the e-SATA port for our X1 devices on our product roadmap. I don't have a timetable to announce for that just now.

Also, any customer owned hard dive could certainly be easily repurposed in the future for use on a  PC or laptop for additional data storage.

Official Employee

@4877banberry wrote:

Anyone knows when will California have this?

Expected in early 2014. See post 732 above. Thanks 

Regular Contributor

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@TChernesky wrote:

Yes I fully understand this is not a X! Forum but I willing to bet that Comcast won't fix the numerous issues with the X1 platform before they come out with the cloud announcement.

I'm not aware of "numerous issues" with the external hard drives that haven't either been quickly resolved or openly disclosed in most all cases. 

Most of the recent attention has been (rightfully so) focused on our remaining locations that are expected to have this feature activated in early 2014.

There is no customer activation fee or additional monthly cost for the use of the customer-owned external hard drive device.

Regarding X1; new features, improvements and bug fixes are delivered almost weekly to our X1 devices.

Our very public goal is to be able to use the cloud for DVR recordings. The X1 Experience is expected to have a cloud DVR opportunity where individual DVR recordings are not stored on the in-home device.

This cloud DVR experience would really negate the need for a limited and physically in-the-home external hard drive and all boxes could be AnyRoom DVRs. Plus the opportunity to retain your DVR recordings should you move or you need to replace the DVR.

Our cloud DVR trials have been going quite well and you can expect to hear more information on that soon.

As stated a few times, we also do have activation of the e-SATA port for our X1 devices on our product roadmap. I don't have a timetable to announce for that just now.

Also, any customer owned hard dive could certainly be easily repurposed in the future for use on a  PC or laptop for additional data storage.

If you activate the e-SATA port on the X-1 in the future will the customer be able to hook up an external DVR?

Thanks.

Official Employee

@kab1 wrote:

If you activate the e-SATA port on the X-1 in the future will the customer be able to hook up an external DVR?

Thanks.

Yes, exactly. That is on the X1 roadmap.

New Poster

" We don't yet have a detailed schedule for areas of CA, CO, UT, WA, AZ, OR and FL due to identified business and customer priorities in those areas." 

Good to know that we are in the lower priorities Smiley Sad

Will there be a message of some kind send to me when the service is activated?

You can't exect people to check the link perioritically without a firm targeted date

Regular Contributor

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@kab1 wrote:

Thanks.

Yes, exactly. That is on the X1 roadmap.

That's great news.  In the future when X-1 boxes are available in my area I will make the switch.

To everyone on this forum still waiting for your e-SATA port to be turned on to start using your external DVR I just wanted to say it is worth the wait.  I have the external DVR on my DCX3501

and it works perfectly.  Perfect sound, picture, lots of storage, simple to hook up.  When I get an X-1

box and then  add an external DVR to it that would be perfect.

Contributor

So do we have an idea of when the e-Sate port will be available for us. I like the X1 system and l live in Michigan. I can't get a good answer.
Official Employee

@4877banberry wrote:

" We don't yet have a detailed schedule for areas of CA, CO, UT, WA, AZ, OR and FL due to identified business and customer priorities in those areas." 

Good to know that we are in the lower priorities Smiley Sad

Will there be a message of some kind send to me when the service is activated?

You can't exect people to check the link perioritically without a firm targeted date

We will certainly update this thread plus the main Comcast website once any of the remaining areas are activated.

There may also be some additional customer communication around this feature in your area once it is available. Thanks for your patience.

Official Employee

@neilz wrote:
So do we have an idea of when the e-Sate port will be available for us. I like the X1 system and l live in Michigan. I can't get a good answer.

The activation of the e-SATA port on the X1 Platform is currently on our product roadmap. 

We don't have a timetable that we are ready to announce right now for that activity. 

Frequent Visitor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola (DVR Expanders)

I tried the Western Digital DVR expander with my Motorola DCX3400 box and it looked like it was working.  HOWEVER, after recording for a few days, it then gave an error message that the expander was  not connected.  I checked all connections but finally had to delete everything from the new drive and start over.  After working well for another week, it again gave the error message about not being connected.  It looks like the down side is that we will lose everything we have recorded periodically.  We will be putting it back in the box until we get a DVR that it is compatible with or Comcast/Motorola come up with a fix for the DCX3400.

Frequent Visitor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola (DVR Expanders)

ComcastTeds, to help track this firmware change for the DCX3400, can you tell us what the lastest/current firmware version is, or if you know what the new firmware version  will be?  We at least have the A30 update here in central PA, but still trying to decide if we want to take a chance and spring for the WD My Book DVR Expander, know that it may lock up.....  Sure wish Comcast would prioritize this firmware update for all of us DCX3400 users.  It's long overdue!  When you say early 2014, are we talking January hopefully?