Community Forum

External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expander)

Regular Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

ComcastTed,

Now that I have my external hard drive working on my DCX 3501 does Comcast still plan on

giving these boxes the X1 guide in the future?  Thanks.

New Poster

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

Is there any insight on when this feature will be released on the west coast?  I mean I work right down the street from WD and we still cant use any sort of expander.

Official Employee

@Go-Zania wrote:

Is there any insight on when this feature will be released on the west coast?  I mean I work right down the street from WD and we still cant use any sort of expander.

Apologies, we don't yet have a schedule for areas of CA, UT, WA, AZ and OR due to identified business and customer priorities in those areas.

We continue to work with our teams in these areas to get a confirmed schedule for this feature to be activated. Thanks for your patience.    

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

@kab1 wrote:

ComcastTed,

Now that I have my external hard drive working on my DCX 3501 does Comcast still plan on

giving these boxes the X1 guide in the future?  Thanks.

Great to hear that the external drive is up and running on youir Motorola DCX 3501.

We continue to look at the possibility of putting the X1 Experience on the DCX and certain RNG set tops. No new news to announce at this point.    

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Really unfortunate that Comcast chooses not to adequately support the products it sells.  Clearly the manufacturer includes the capability in it's devices, yet Comcast doesn't utilize the device to it's full capabilities.  Then you tell me I can upgrade to the X1 platform, yet it doesn't include the capability either, and judging from the online forums, appears to be a work in progress at best - certainly not worth the advertising dollars being poured into it.

Official Employee

@Anon1056752 wrote:

Really unfortunate that Comcast chooses not to adequately support the products it sells.  Clearly the manufacturer includes the capability in it's devices, yet Comcast doesn't utilize the device to it's full capabilities.  Then you tell me I can upgrade to the X1 platform, yet it doesn't include the capability either, and judging from the online forums, appears to be a work in progress at best - certainly not worth the advertising dollars being poured into it.

This feature is available in your area of GA today on the DVR that you have and has been for some time. Are you having trouble with the external drive? 

There are some required configuration changes and back office work needed at each Comcast location in order to activate the e-SATA port.

We are activating the feature in new locations every month and making the feature available in many areas as soon as possible instead of waiting to be 100% complete. This way more customers can start using the external hard drive space sooner. Most customers appreciate that.  

Official Employee
Moved:

Frequent Visitor

I have a Moto DCT6412 and live in WV.  According to your web page I should be OK.  When I connect the WD drive that was ordered from the link on your web page I get a message saying  "The use of external drives is not authorized with your account".

Info from cable box setup screen:

S/W Ver:  80.48-a30.1210.r-27

Firmware: 16.90

I called in and was told to contact the maker of the new drive. What can I do?

Official Employee

@Paul-FM19 wrote:

I have a Moto DCT6412 and live in WV.  According to your web page I should be OK.  When I connect the WD drive that was ordered from the link on your web page I get a message saying  "The use of external drives is not authorized with your account".

Apologies for this issue and the confusion we have caused. 

I took a look at your account and your area of WV is part of our Beltway Region. That region is scheduled to activate the e-SATA port for the external hard drive feature later this month.

Thanks for your patience. 

Frequent Visitor

Thank you for the quick response.  

New Poster

I would like to inquire about external hard drive capability in the Coraopolis, PA area.  Everything seems to indicate it is available, but I still get an Alert 08 error when I plug in the drive.  When I call the Comcast support number, they tell me to contact Western Digital for all support.  When I call Western Digital, they tell me the Alert 08 is a Comcast issue.  When I call Comcast support back, they tell me there is nothing they need to do.  When I go to my local office they tell me external DVR capability is not available in my area.

Frequent Visitor

ComcastTeds:  How are things progressing for opening the port in Baltimore, MD?  Just wanted to check before I purchase a drive.

Regular Visitor

What is the CURRENT schedule for Jacksonville Florida?

Valued Contributor

I have a Motorola DCT 3416 I with the WD external drive. I am getting distortion 30 seconds into my recordings only on one channel. It does not seem to be in the broadcast. Only happens on CBS. Any idea if this is a glitch? 

Tek
Official Employee

@Paul-FM19 wrote:

Just to follow up on my earlier response, your area of WV - plus the remaining areas of VA, MD and DC are all on track to have the feature activated this week.

Thanks so much for your patience.

Official Employee

@welsh213 wrote:

I would like to inquire about external hard drive capability in the Coraopolis, PA area.  Everything seems to indicate it is available, but I still get an Alert 08 error when I plug in the drive.  When I call the Comcast support number, they tell me to contact Western Digital for all support.  When I call Western Digital, they tell me the Alert 08 is a Comcast issue.  When I call Comcast support back, they tell me there is nothing they need to do.  When I go to my local office they tell me external DVR capability is not available in my area.

Your area of PA should be all set. I will have someone in our PA office take a look at your account now to see what the issue could be. Thanks for your patience.

Official Employee

@samgag wrote:

ComcastTeds:  How are things progressing for opening the port in Baltimore, MD?  Just wanted to check before I purchase a drive.

The e-SATA port is scheduled to be activated this week for the remaining areas of MD, VA, DC and WV. Thanks for your patience.

Official Employee

@rjmsys wrote:

What is the CURRENT schedule for Jacksonville Florida?

Unfortunately, I don’t have a confirmed date for when your area of Florida is scheduled to have the e-SATA port activated. This feature will likely be available in your area in early 2014.  Thanks for your patience.

Official Employee

@Tek wrote:

I have a Motorola DCT 3416 I with the WD external drive. I am getting distortion 30 seconds into my recordings only on one channel. It does not seem to be in the broadcast. Only happens on CBS. Any idea if this is a glitch? 

Apologies for the issue that you described. I am getting a ticket opened on your issue. Do you have the issue if the external hard drive is unplugged from the DCT 3416? 

Frequent Visitor

ComcastTeds: I have the DCT 3412 and was wondering when I hook up the external drive, will I still be able to access recorded programs on the DVR's internal drive??

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastTeds wrote:

Just to follow up on my earlier response, your area of WV - plus the remaining areas of VA, MD and DC are all on track to have the feature activated this week.

ComcastTeds lives!!!!!!!!! And he returns with great news! Very excited!

Official Employee

@samgag wrote:

ComcastTeds: I have the DCT 3412 and was wondering when I hook up the external drive, will I still be able to access recorded programs on the DVR's internal drive??

Yes indeed. Lots of details here:

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/external-dvr-storage

and some more FAQs here:

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/external-dvr-storage-faqs

Valued Contributor

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@Tek wrote:

Apologies for the issue that you described. I am getting a ticket opened on your issue. Do you have the issue if the external hard drive is unplugged from the DCT 3416? 

I will check tonight. If I unplug the box will the % of space used update to show just the internal drive?

That way I can leave it unplugged for a little bit. Also, is it safe to just unplug the cable to the box to remove it or is there a special procedue to follow? 

Tek
Official Employee

@Tek wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@Tek wrote:

I will check tonight. If I unplug the box will the % of space used update to show just the internal drive?

That way I can leave it unplugged for a little bit. Also, is it safe to just unplug the cable to the box to remove it or is there a special procedue to follow? 

You can just unplug the e-SATA cable, there is no special process to follow. The DVR % full will show only the internal hard drive when the e-SATA cable is unplugged.

When you plug the external drive back in to the same DVR, the DVR will recognize and acknowledge the external drive. The DVR recordings list will then display the programs from the external drive and an updated % full.    

Contributor

Will the fix for the DCX3400 be along soon?
Official Employee

@Glenn54 wrote:
Will the fix for the DCX3400 be along soon?

Posted earlier -

We have seen (and continue to see) inconsistent results with the DCX3400 model in our labs and employee testing. Some observations included boxes locking up. This required a box reboot (unplug and re-plug AC power) in order to restore video service. This is not a desired or intended customer experience.

Other customers and testers reported no issues. Due to the very inconsistent behavior and not readily understanding the trigger point for the box lock up, the DCX 3400 is not currently on our list of supported devices for this feature. 

Certainly, now knowing the identified risk that I outlined, one could attempt to try it out with that known caveat. 

If it works for you, then you may not need to swap the DVR out for another model. If it doesn't work to your satisfaction, then a DVR swap may be in order.

Our teams (along with Arris, the new name for the former Motorola cable box division) have identified and resolved this particular issue and have a bundled firmware update to address this. That is scheduled to start being delivered to cable boxes this year and into 2014.  

Thanks for your patience.  

Official Employee
Moved:

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

GOOD NEWS FOR ROCKVILLE, MD - Finally, today 10/17/13,  I can confirm that in Rockville, MD my western digital external esata drive is working with my RNG200N boxes.

Both of my RNG200N boxes have firmware 24.58 and software version 80.48 - a30.1210.r-27

I picked both of these up from the comcast office in rockville on gude drive. They have 500gb hard drives to begin with. When connected the 1tb WD dvr extender will give me a total of 1.5tb on one box.

I would like to thank comcastTeds for always answering our questions. I hope comcast can get all the other areas working soon.

Frequent Visitor

X1 External Hard Drive Support

I see in a reply related to adding storage to Comcast DVR's that the X1 DVR I just had installed will not currently work with an external WD hard drive.

Just to make sure that I need to return the drive I purchased, will the WD hard drive work with the X1 DVR or do I need to continue to suffer with the very limited storage offered by this new platform until such time as Comcast steps up and equals what Dish offers in way of storage capacity?

Contributor

I wonder if that means MD/DC/VA is set. 

Frequent Visitor

@Glenn54 wrote:

I was wondering the same thing, since the homepage hadn't changed yet... Here's to hoping!

Frequent Visitor

Same question here............

How do we know when VA is ready to go?

Will there be a message on our DVR, or do we just have to try it and see if it works?

Frequent Visitor

@jjaeckle wrote:

Will there be a message on our DVR, or do we just have to try it and see if it works?

If you go back to page one of this forum topic, they edited it this week to include DC, MD and VA. I know that's not definitive, but it's great news in my book. I tried to copy and paste the part of the doc here to show you, but this forum won't let me for some reason. I'm gonna go with the hope that it's ready to go, and I'm ordering myself a drive. :-)

Contributor

Comcast Ted can you confirm the status of MD/DC/VA?

Frequent Visitor

Ted: Last night I went to watch a recorded program and got an error message saying the the program I want to watch is on the external drive, but it's not connected. I didn't change anything and it was working earlier, so I unlugged the external HD (power cord and carble to box) and reattached. After a few seconds it confirmed the drive was reconnected. 

Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Official Employee

@cableuser914 wrote:

GOOD NEWS FOR ROCKVILLE, MD - Finally, today 10/17/13,  I can confirm that in Rockville, MD my western digital external esata drive is working with my RNG200N boxes.

Both of my RNG200N boxes have firmware 24.58 and software version 80.48 - a30.1210.r-27

I picked both of these up from the comcast office in rockville on gude drive. They have 500gb hard drives to begin with. When connected the 1tb WD dvr extender will give me a total of 1.5tb on one box.

I would like to thank comcastTeds for always answering our questions. I hope comcast can get all the other areas working soon.

Thanks for the confirmation and the kind words.  

The remaining areas of VA, WV, MD and DC all now have this feature activated.

Official Employee

@Glenn54 wrote:

Yes. The remaining areas of VA, WV, MD and DC all now have this feature activated.

Official Employee

Re: X1 External Hard Drive Support

@TCher67 wrote:

I see in a reply related to adding storage to Comcast DVR's that the X1 DVR I just had installed will not currently work with an external WD hard drive.

Just to make sure that I need to return the drive I purchased, will the WD hard drive work with the X1 DVR or do I need to continue to suffer with the very limited storage offered by this new platform until such time as Comcast steps up and equals what Dish offers in way of storage capacity?

Our goal for X1 is to be able to use the cloud for DVR recordings this year. The X1 Experience is expected to have a cloud DVR opportunity where individual DVR recordings are not stored on the in-home device. This cloud DVR experience would really negate the need for a limited and physically in-the-home hard drive and all boxes could be AnyRoom DVRs. Plus the opportunity to retain your DVR recordings should you move or you need to replace the DVR.

Once the DVR recordings are in the cloud, the potential to view the recordings from any internet connected device is certainly a possibility. You will hear more about that potential feature as we get ready to deliver the cloud DVR functionality.

The opportunity for activating the e-SATA port on our X1 devices is on our feature roadmap. I don't have a timetable to announce just yet for that.

Thanks for your patience as we work to improve the experience.

Official Employee

@serialcarpins wrote:

@Glenn54 wrote:

I was wondering the same thing, since the homepage hadn't changed yet... Here's to hoping!

Yes. The remaining areas of VA, WV, MD and DC all now have this feature activated.

Official Employee

@jjaeckle wrote:

The remaining areas of VA, WV, MD and DC all now have this feature activated.

Official Employee

@serialcarpins wrote:

@jjaeckle wrote:

If you go back to page one of this forum topic, they edited it this week to include DC, MD and VA. I know that's not definitive, but it's great news in my book. I tried to copy and paste the part of the doc here to show you, but this forum won't let me for some reason. I'm gonna go with the hope that it's ready to go, and I'm ordering myself a drive. :-)

All set now in DC, MD, VA and WV. 

Below copied and pasted from the initial thread in this forum (updated on October 14)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ 

For our customers with Motorola branded DVRs:  Currently, the following areas where we use Motorola branded DVRs now have the DVR expander feature available:

• Comcast areas of AL, AR, CT, DC, DE, GA, IL, IN KY, MD, ME, MA, MI, MS, NH, NJ, OH, PA, NY, TN, VA, WV & VT.
  • LA: Houma

As new areas are announced, we will list them here. Schedules are subject to change.

Additional locations are scheduled to be announced on an ongoing basisFor customers with Motorola branded DVRs, please check the links above to confirm availability before purchasing.   

For our customers with Scientific Atlanta or Cisco branded DVRs: The DVR Expander option is currently available to Comcast DVR customers in all areas. For the Cisco RNG 200 and RNG200N you would need to have the traditional "blue" on-screen guide.   

Official Employee

@Glenn54 wrote:

Comcast Ted can you confirm the status of MD/DC/VA?

Official Employee

@Anon69696969 wrote:

Ted: Last night I went to watch a recorded program and got an error message saying the the program I want to watch is on the external drive, but it's not connected. I didn't change anything and it was working earlier, so I unlugged the external HD (power cord and carble to box) and reattached. After a few seconds it confirmed the drive was reconnected. 

Any ideas on what the problem could be?

My best guess is that It could be a loose or defective e-SATA cable.

Western Digital (or the manufacturer of your external drive) may be able to provide you a replacement cable or you could get one at a retail location or online. 

Frequent Visitor

My wd dvr expander has started to hum loudly. Any experience with this? And any way to fix?
Contributor

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@serialcarpins wrote:

@Glenn54 wrote:

Great thanks. I'll be trying it with my DCX3400 to see how stable it is before I swap out boxes Smiley Happy

Regular Visitor

I live in MD (Baltimore County) but I'm still getting the "The use of external drives is not authorized with your account." message. I have the a30/r27 software version. Is it because I have a DCX3400?

Thanks.

Frequent Visitor

ComcastTeds:

I have a Moto DCT3412 and live in Baltimore County, MD.  According to your web page I should be OK.  When I connect the WD drive that was ordered from the link on your web page I get a message saying  "The use of external drives is not authorized with your account".  When I called WD, they told me to contact Comcast.

Please advise.

Contributor

Sorry if this questions been asked before, but I'm looking at the 1TB DVR expander on Amazon's website and the one directly on WD's website have different model numbers. Do I need the exact model number DVR expander posted on the link here for things to operate properly? 

Frequent Visitor

Hi Comcast Teds...

So, according to the website Maryland looks like it's all set. I went ahead and ordered my hard drive on Monday (10/21) from WD...As of yesterday (10/24) it hadn't shipped yet. When I called them to ask why, they said that they were waiting for Comcast to contact me for some reason, and the guy helping me asked if Comcast had called me because they were waiting for Comcast to touch base with me for some reason...they had not. He then told me they had plenty in stock, and he couldn't understand why they were delaying it (it usually ships in a day or two after order) He said he updated the status of my order to override what they had in the system so they'd ship it, but as of today, it remains unshipped. Is there something on Comcast's end that they are actually waiting for, or did WD make a mistake?  This might not be in your wheelhouse, since it may be a problem on WD's end, but I figured I'd ask since you have been so helpful thus far. Thanks!

Contributor

Wow! I just placed my order with them last night. I wonder if they will tell me the same thing Smiley Sad