Community Forum

External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expander)

Frequent Visitor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

Hi ComcastTed...long time reader, first time poster. Smiley Happy

 

I wanted to ask about the Maryland area (I am in Montgomery County just outside DC)

 

The document you used to point us to on the main External drive support page used to list us as being activated this week (the week of September 2nd) and you also made a comment a page or so back that said:

 

"This feature has been activated for DVRs in Kentucky. 

MD, DC, VA, IL and the remainder of Indiana are now currently scheduled to be activated the week of September 2. 

Thanks for your patience."

 

Now I just looked at the page, and DC, MD, and VA are missing entirely from the list of activated or soon to be activated areas, with no mention of when that might happen. The PDF document seems to be gone, too... Do you have any insight as to why this happened? This poor dude with a 90% full DVR is heartbroken right now. First world problems, I know...but I was pretty stoked about this.

Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@serialcarpins wrote:

Hi ComcastTed...long time reader, first time poster. Smiley Happy

 

I wanted to ask about the Maryland area (I am in Montgomery County just outside DC)

 

The document you used to point us to on the main External drive support page used to list us as being activated this week (the week of September 2nd) and you also made a comment a page or so back that said:

 

"This feature has been activated for DVRs in Kentucky. 

MD, DC, VA, IL and the remainder of Indiana are now currently scheduled to be activated the week of September 2. 

Thanks for your patience."

 

Now I just looked at the page, and DC, MD, and VA are missing entirely from the list of activated or soon to be activated areas, with no mention of when that might happen. The PDF document seems to be gone, too... Do you have any insight as to why this happened? This poor dude with a 90% full DVR is heartbroken right now. First world problems, I know...but I was pretty stoked about this.


Welcome! Glad you are here!

 

I just checked the link to the latest availability pdf and it appears to be working:  http://media2.comcast.net/anon.comcastonline2/support/help/faqs/xdvr/HOW5387_External-DVR-Launched-M...

 

I am awaiting confirmation from our local team that oversees the MD, DC and VA area if all of the required work has been completed. Thanks for your patience.

 


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

Yeesh. Sorry about that. I must've been on a different page that I had never seen before. Thanks for setting me straight and getting me the correct link. Much appreciated! Now the obsessive page refreshing begins... Smiley Wink

Contributor

Illinois - It Works!!


@ComcastTeds wrote:

All areas of Illinois and Indiana should now be good to go with the automatic activation of the e-SATA port for external hard drive use  Thanks again for your patience. 

Got my drive on Tuesday and plugged it in and it immediately came up with a message on the TV to OK formatting the drive.  Not countring the time it took to take it out of the box or manuver behind the TV the entire setup took just a minuite or two.

 

I bought the WD version on Amazon which another thread indicated should work.
My son who lives down state had an unused ESATA external enclose with an older hard drive and just tried that and it worked fine as well.

Official Employee

Re: Illinois - It Works!!


@Lsimon wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

All areas of Illinois and Indiana should now be good to go with the automatic activation of the e-SATA port for external hard drive use  Thanks again for your patience. 

Got my drive on Tuesday and plugged it in and it immediately came up with a message on the TV to OK formatting the drive.  Not countring the time it took to take it out of the box or manuver behind the TV the entire setup took just a minuite or two.

 

I bought the WD version on Amazon which another thread indicated should work.
My son who lives down state had an unused ESATA external enclose with an older hard drive and just tried that and it worked fine as well.


Great news, thanks for sharing. Agreed that the setup is very quick and easy.

Most external drives (using an e-SATA cable) should work just fine as long as the drive is 1 TB or less.

 


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

Comcast Ted,

 

I live in the Chattanooga, TN area and have purchased a WD My Book AV to extend my DVR.  When I plug in, I am getting the "Alert 08" message that my account is not authorized.  The WD folks have told me the expander is compatible with my DVR, which is a Motorola DCH3416 and it is a Comcast issue.  I've spoken to a couple people at Comcast on the phone who are not sure how to solve the problem. This is the second DVR I've tried (someone suggested trying a different DVR), both of which I got here at the Chattanooga office.

 

Can you lead me in the right direction?

 

Thanks,

Matt Hauber

Ooltewah,TN

Frequent Visitor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

ComcastTed,

 

Have you heard back about Baltimore, MD???

New Poster

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

Any idea when e-sata port will work in Jacksonville, Fl?

Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

There is a link in Message 552 above where you can check now and in the future on the status of FL on your own.
New Poster

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

Thanks but if there was mention of Florida I wouldn't have asked.

Frequent Visitor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

Do we have an update on whether the support is available for Northern VA?  It was scheduled for week of 9/2 and the info hasn't been updated since the 8/9 document.

Thanks,

John

Regular Visitor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

Still not working in Montgomery County Maryland as of 9-10-13. I'm getting the alert 08 message. Waiting on comcast to do whatever it is they do behind the scenes. Don't waste time calling comcast support, they will not be able to help you. I can't speak for VA or DC. My personal opinion is that comcast might have these esata ports working by the end of the year. I hope it's sooner. I'm 97% full with the internal 500gb rng200n hard drive. The extra 1tb is going to be perfect.

Frequent Visitor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

cableuser914, you're lucky.  I'm more than 90% full with the 120gb internal drive.  Hoping to hear back soon from ComcastTeds about Baltimore, MD, which was forecast to have the port activated last week.

Frequent Visitor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

Not even sure I have 120G.  16 to 20 hours of HD content seems to be about the max it can handle.

The MD/VA dates have been changed so many times, I have little to no confidence left.  The 9/2 date seemed to be a good sign, but no news and no updates. 

Frequent Visitor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

jjaeckle. the last statement from ComcastTeds on 09/05/2013 was: "I am awaiting confirmation from our local team that oversees the MD, DC and VA area if all of the required work has been completed. Thanks for your patience."

 

Hoping that he has some good news for us when he returns to the forum.

Frequent Visitor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

Some good news would be great.  I think I bought the ext drives back in april when they gave us the first "solid" date for availability.  Been waiting patiently..........

Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@stlchatti wrote:

Comcast Ted,

 

I live in the Chattanooga, TN area and have purchased a WD My Book AV to extend my DVR.  When I plug in, I am getting the "Alert 08" message that my account is not authorized.  The WD folks have told me the expander is compatible with my DVR, which is a Motorola DCH3416 and it is a Comcast issue.  I've spoken to a couple people at Comcast on the phone who are not sure how to solve the problem. This is the second DVR I've tried (someone suggested trying a different DVR), both of which I got here at the Chattanooga office.

 

Can you lead me in the right direction?

 

Thanks,

Matt Hauber

Ooltewah,TN


Apologies for the delay in responding.

Yes, the external hard drive is expected to work in your area on the DVR that you mentioned. I am having someone take a look at your account to see what the issue could be and to resolve it.

Alert 08 is on us to resolve. Thanks for your patience.

 

 


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@samgag wrote:

ComcastTed,

 

Have you heard back about Baltimore, MD???


 

Apologies for the delay in responding, I was out of the office earlier in the week.

 

There has been an unexpected delay in the MD, DC and VA areas to activate this feature. The teams were not able to complete all of the required work by their anticipated date.

 

This feature is expected to be activated by the end of October. Apologies for the delay, we will get this feature activated in your area. I will let you now once I have a better date. Thanks for your continued patience.


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@Magick72 wrote:

Any idea when e-sata port will work in Jacksonville, Fl?


For areas of Florida where we use Motorola-branded DVRs, I don't yet have a scheduled date to announce. It is still expected to be this year. Thanks for your patience.    


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@jjaeckle wrote:

Do we have an update on whether the support is available for Northern VA?  It was scheduled for week of 9/2 and the info hasn't been updated since the 8/9 document.

Thanks,

John


Apologies for the delay in responding, I was out of the office earlier in the week.

 

There has been an unexpected delay in the MD, DC and VA areas to activate this feature. The teams were not able to complete all of the required work by their anticipated date.

 

This feature is expected to be activated by the end of October. Apologies for the delay, we will get this feature activated in your area. I will let you now once I have a better date. Thanks for your continued patience.


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@cableuser914 wrote:

Still not working in Montgomery County Maryland as of 9-10-13. I'm getting the alert 08 message. Waiting on comcast to do whatever it is they do behind the scenes. Don't waste time calling comcast support, they will not be able to help you. I can't speak for VA or DC. My personal opinion is that comcast might have these esata ports working by the end of the year. I hope it's sooner. I'm 97% full with the internal 500gb rng200n hard drive. The extra 1tb is going to be perfect.


Apologies for the delay in responding, I was out of the office earlier in the week.

 

Alert 08 means that the e-SATA port has not been activated.

 

There has been an unexpected delay in the MD, DC and VA areas to activate this feature. The teams were not able to complete all of the required work by their anticipated date.

 

This feature is expected to be activated by the end of October. Apologies for the delay, we will get this feature activated in your area. I will let you now once I have a better date. Thanks for your continued patience.


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

ComcastTeds.   

Thanks for the reply.  I know it isn't your fault, but the reliability of Comcast is terrible.  We have been getting promised dates since April and none of them have been reliable.  My DVR is not capable of handling a reasonable amount of storage and I did step up to buy two drives on my own dime to try to bring Comcast performance to at least the minimum level of performance most other providers deliver.  For the $200 a month I spend with Comcast, I would at least expect to see reliable promises and good performance.   With the new fall season starting, I had hoped to be able to use better storage to enjoy many of the new shows.  It looks like that is no longer a possibility.

Is there a phone number I can call to get a senior person to complain to?  Trying to get through customer service is a complete waste of time and energy.  I would like to be able to talk to a live person at a high level in Comcast.  Could you get me a number?

Thanks for your help, I know it isn't your fault.

Regular Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

I share your concerns about Comcast.  It's tough to take when you see ads for DVRs that can record four or five shows at the same time and my Comcast DVR only records two.  

 

We were able to work around the problem by making better use of OnDemand.  It's not a perfect solution, as some shows never get to OnDemand and some leave sooner than you'd like -- but it's helped ease the problem.

 

Another tip (you probably know) is to reschedule recordings.  For example, many of the 2nd tier networks (Discovery, Food, HGTV, Bravo, A&E, etc) re-run their prime-time shows during the over night hours.  It's a manual process -- but I use the guide on these 2nd tier networks to reschedule recordings during the over night hours when necessary.

Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@jjaeckle wrote:

ComcastTeds.   

Thanks for the reply.  I know it isn't your fault, but the reliability of Comcast is terrible.  We have been getting promised dates since April and none of them have been reliable.  My DVR is not capable of handling a reasonable amount of storage and I did step up to buy two drives on my own dime to try to bring Comcast performance to at least the minimum level of performance most other providers deliver.  For the $200 a month I spend with Comcast, I would at least expect to see reliable promises and good performance.   With the new fall season starting, I had hoped to be able to use better storage to enjoy many of the new shows.  It looks like that is no longer a possibility.

Is there a phone number I can call to get a senior person to complain to?  Trying to get through customer service is a complete waste of time and energy.  I would like to be able to talk to a live person at a high level in Comcast.  Could you get me a number?

Thanks for your help, I know it isn't your fault.


i understand your frustration and apologies again for the delay in your area.

 

I have been able to provide "scheduled dates" and targeted dates not promised dates. Schedules are of course subject to change. Some areas have actually been accelerated.

We will get this feature activated in your area soon. The local teams working in MD-DC-VA are very close to completing the required work to activate this feature. Apologies for the delay.

Your feedback has been shared directly with the senior management teams.  


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

Let Senior Mgmt know that I am a loyal customer paying $200 per month.  If there isn't support to do this basic expectation by the end of October, I will have no choice but to move my cable subscription to Verizon.  I get at least 3 phone calls and 4 pieces of mail each week pressing me to move to them.  For some stupid reason I have stuck with you guys, but have reached my limit.  The letter (pdf) with the 9/2 date looked like a promise to me.  9/2 came and went without any notice, apology, or update from Comcast.  We all have to waste our time trying to find out if Comcast has done their job.  

Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@jjaeckle wrote:

Let Senior Mgmt know that I am a loyal customer paying $200 per month.  If there isn't support to do this basic expectation by the end of October, I will have no choice but to move my cable subscription to Verizon.  I get at least 3 phone calls and 4 pieces of mail each week pressing me to move to them.  For some stupid reason I have stuck with you guys, but have reached my limit.  The letter (pdf) with the 9/2 date looked like a promise to me.  9/2 came and went without any notice, apology, or update from Comcast.  We all have to waste our time trying to find out if Comcast has done their job.  


It's good to have choices and options. Thanks for the additional feedback.

 

The pdf did speak to "currently scheduled the week of 9/2" for your area and that "schedules are subject to change". The website has since been updated to reflect the new situation. 

 

Apologies again for the communication issue on our end.   


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@DeltaOne wrote:

I share your concerns about Comcast.  It's tough to take when you see ads for DVRs that can record four or five shows at the same time and my Comcast DVR only records two.  

 

We were able to work around the problem by making better use of OnDemand.  It's not a perfect solution, as some shows never get to OnDemand and some leave sooner than you'd like -- but it's helped ease the problem.

 

Another tip (you probably know) is to reschedule recordings.  For example, many of the 2nd tier networks (Discovery, Food, HGTV, Bravo, A&E, etc) re-run their prime-time shows during the over night hours.  It's a manual process -- but I use the guide on these 2nd tier networks to reschedule recordings during the over night hours when necessary.


The X1 Experience is available today in your area of MD with a 500GB hard drive and has the ability to record four shows at once while watching a fifth.

 

Details here: http://www.comcast.com/x1

 

New cable boxes and a professional installation are both required.  


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

ComcastTeds

 

Do you know when the external hard drive is going to be unlock for Minneapolis MN.

 

Thanks

Regular Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

ComcastTeds -- the X1 upgrade sounds nice but the X1 horror stories I read here are holding me back.  While my present equipment can only record two shows at once, and has a smaller hard drive -- it works and is reliable.  

 

Now, I know from other forums that the complaints are magnified -- folks with working X1 systems don't come here to say so.  If I  had to guess the X1 customers having problems are a small percentage of X1 users.

 

What would you say to someone in my shoes that's worried about entering a potential X1 nightmare?

Frequent Visitor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

Is it true that X1 is only available to triple play customers?

Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@cowskys wrote:

ComcastTeds

 

Do you know when the external hard drive is going to be unlock for Minneapolis MN.

 

Thanks


 

For areas of MN where we use Motorola-branded DVRs, I don't yet have a scheduled date to announce. 

 

In areas across the river from you where we use Cisco and Scientific-Atlanta DVRs this feature is available.

 

Thanks for your patience.    


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@DeltaOne wrote:

ComcastTeds -- the X1 upgrade sounds nice but the X1 horror stories I read here are holding me back.  While my present equipment can only record two shows at once, and has a smaller hard drive -- it works and is reliable.  

 

Now, I know from other forums that the complaints are magnified -- folks with working X1 systems don't come here to say so.  If I  had to guess the X1 customers having problems are a small percentage of X1 users.

 

What would you say to someone in my shoes that's worried about entering a potential X1 nightmare?


I can tell you that the vast majority of our customers with X1 are having an excellent experience. I have it in my office and in my home.

 


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@jjaeckle wrote:

Is it true that X1 is only available to triple play customers?


No.

 

The X1 Experience is now also available to customers with our Preferred Xfinity Double Play packages.

 

New cable boxes and a professional installation are both required. Give us a call at 1-800-COMCAST and we can go over the details.


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

ComcastTeds -- thanks for the encouragement re: X1.  I'll think about it.

 

And thanks for your participation here -- it's greatly appreciated.

 

Regular Visitor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@ComcastTeds wrote:
The X1 Experience is now also available to customers with our Preferred Xfinity Double Play packages.

 

New cable boxes and a professional installation are both required. Give us a call at 1-800-COMCAST and we can go over the details.



What cost does switching to the X1 DVR entail?

Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@html04 wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:
The X1 Experience is now also available to customers with our Preferred Xfinity Double Play packages.

 

New cable boxes and a professional installation are both required. Give us a call at 1-800-COMCAST and we can go over the details.



What cost does switching to the X1 DVR entail?


Installation pricing can vary by area. Give us a call at 1-800-COMCAST and we can go over the details.


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@ComcastTeds wrote:

 

Installation pricing can vary by area. Give us a call at 1-800-COMCAST and we can go over the details.


In that case has there been any development on when the new firmware is going to be pushed out that improves the stability of the DCX3400 DVR's with external HDD's, I have two that could use them.

Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@html04 wrote:

ComcastTeds wrote:

 

Installation pricing can vary by area. Give us a call at 1-800-COMCAST and we can go over the details.


In that case has there been any development on when the new firmware is going to be pushed out that improves the stability of the DCX3400 DVR's with external HDD's, I have two that could use them.


As an update, we have seen (and continue to see) inconsistent results with the DCX3400 model in our labs and employee testing. Some observations included boxes locking up. This required a box reboot (unplug and re-plug AC power) in order to restore video service. This is not a desired or intended customer experience.

 

Other customers and testers reported no issues. Due to the very inconsistent behavior and not readily understanding the trigger point for the box lock up, the DCX 3400 is not currently on our list of supported devices for this feature. 

 

Certainly, now knowing the identified risk that I outlined, one could attempt to try it out with that known caveat. 

 

If it works for you, then you may not need to swap the DVR out for another model. If it doesn't work to your satisfaction, then a DVR swap may be in order.

 

Our teams (along with Arris, the new name for the former Motorola cable box division) have identified and resolved this particular issue and have a bundled firmware update to address this. That is scheduled to start being delivered to cable boxes this year and into 2014.  

 

Thanks for your patience.  


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@ComcastTeds wrote:
Our teams (along with Arris, the new name for the former Motorola cable box division) have identified and resolved this particular issue and have a bundled firmware update to address this. That is scheduled to start being delivered to cable boxes this year and into 2014.  

 

Thanks for your patience.  


Ok, so sometime within the next couple of months Comcast will try to start releasing the more stable firmware, provided there are no more hiccups, and will continue to release the new firmware until all regions have been updated. Thanks for the update.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs

I have a DCX3400 and a DCT6416 III, both with the 80.47-a30.1205.r-25 s/w ver.  I am in the Kokomo, In area.  Will the WD expander work on these?

 

Also, the WD Shop has a deal, the drive is now $99.99 for a short time. 

 

http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus/en_US/pd/productID.254791800/parid.13092300/catid.5926230...

Contributor

Drives other than the WD expander

FYI - I bought the WD expander, the version on Amazon that is the same but has USB in addition to the SATA and it works great.  But a relative told me they tried  basic ESATA drive they had around the house and it worked fine. 

 

So I ordered the cheapest ESATA enclosure I could find, about $16 on Amazon, to try a second  DVR in the house.  I tried it both with an old 1.5TB drive and a 500MB drive that I had around the house from past PC upgrades and both worked just fine.  I know Comcast doesn't officially support these but if you're willing to give it a try without their support it is a good deal if you already have some old drives around the house.  If you have to buy a drive for the enclosure it probably isn't worth it.  Also - I have no idea if the 1.5TB drive is working at full capacity  or if it is limited to the 1TB limit that I've seen mentioned in various posts on this forum and elsewhere.

 

The only issue I have with the old drive in the cheap ESATA enclosure is that it is a little noisier, and runs a little hotter, than the WD DVR expander drive.

Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs


@Captpeacock wrote:

I have a DCX3400 and a DCT6416 III, both with the 80.47-a30.1205.r-25 s/w ver.  I am in the Kokomo, In area.  Will the WD expander work on these?

 

Also, the WD Shop has a deal, the drive is now $99.99 for a short time. 

 

http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus/en_US/pd/productID.254791800/parid.13092300/catid.5926230...


See my post 588 above regarding the DX3400. The DCT 6416 is a supported DVR and your area has this feature active now. 

 

Most any e-SATA connected drive (1 TB or less) should work just fine.   


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: Drives other than the WD expander


@Lsimon wrote:

FYI - I bought the WD expander, the version on Amazon that is the same but has USB in addition to the SATA and it works great.  But a relative told me they tried  basic ESATA drive they had around the house and it worked fine. 

 

So I ordered the cheapest ESATA enclosure I could find, about $16 on Amazon, to try a second  DVR in the house.  I tried it both with an old 1.5TB drive and a 500MB drive that I had around the house from past PC upgrades and both worked just fine.  I know Comcast doesn't officially support these but if you're willing to give it a try without their support it is a good deal if you already have some old drives around the house.  If you have to buy a drive for the enclosure it probably isn't worth it.  Also - I have no idea if the 1.5TB drive is working at full capacity  or if it is limited to the 1TB limit that I've seen mentioned in various posts on this forum and elsewhere.

 

The only issue I have with the old drive in the cheap ESATA enclosure is that it is a little noisier, and runs a little hotter, than the WD DVR expander drive.


Thanks for posting your experience.

  

Comcast DVRs currently only support external hard drives that provide up to 1 terabyte of storage capacity, and only the specified Western Digital external hard drive has been verified to work with Comcast DVRs.

 

Other external hard drives that are 1 TB or lower should work just fine but they have not been verified or tested by Comcast. I have seen in other online forums (and here) where customers have other drives (that use the e-SATA connection) and they reported that it worked fine.

The bottom line is that we have tested and verified the Western Digital Drive model WDBACS0010HBK-NESN which is available at the link below:

 

http://store.comcast.com/my-book-av-dvr-expander/detail.php?p=442589&v=comcast_accessories

  

For others that may want to purchase a different e-SATA drive (1TB or less) or construct their own, you are certainly welcome to do so at your own risk. I believe that this would be a limited risk. 


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

Comcast Teds,

 

I have a Cisco RNG200N with the WHITE program guide.  I live in the C*mming, GA area (zip 30040).  Any idea when I might be able to make use of the WD DVR expander?

 

BTW - C u mming is the actual name of the city and not a dirty word as defined by Comcast.

Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@Anon1056752 wrote:

Comcast Teds,

 

I have a Cisco RNG200N with the WHITE program guide.  I live in the C*mming, GA area (zip 30040).  Any idea when I might be able to make use of the WD DVR expander?

 


It looks like you have our On-Screen Guide 2.0 for AnyRoom DVR. Unfortunately, we don't have any plans to activate the e-SATA port on this configuration. On-Screen Guide 2.0 was a short term bridge that got us to the now more widely available X1 platform.  

I do know that the X1 Experience is available in your area now which is our latest AnyRoom DVR solution - we do have plans for additional DVR storage via a cloud DVR system as well as a current roadmap item to activate the e-SATA port.

No definite timeline to announce on that right now but both of those items are on the roadmap.     


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

I just checked and I have the dreaded DCX3400 which has a esata port but is not on the list of motorolla DVRs.

 

So now that I'm going to have to watch everything on the DVR before I can turn it back in  Smiley Happy What model is the latest and greatest in Maryland?

Thanks

 

Anyone else rememer Jones Cable with the A-B switch  Smiley Wink  No box needed but then no HD or DVR  

 

CEH

 

Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@CHuntMD wrote:

I just checked and I have the dreaded DCX3400 which has a esata port but is not on the list of motorolla DVRs.

 

So now that I'm going to have to watch everything on the DVR before I can turn it back in  Smiley Happy What model is the latest and greatest in Maryland?

Thanks

 

Anyone else rememer Jones Cable with the A-B switch  Smiley Wink  No box needed but then no HD or DVR  

 

CEH

 


We have seen (and continue to see) inconsistent results with the DCX3400 model in our labs and employee testing. Some observations included boxes locking up. This required a box reboot (unplug and re-plug AC power) in order to restore video service. This is not a desired or intended customer experience.

 

Other customers and testers reported no issues. Due to the very inconsistent behavior and not readily understanding the trigger point for the box lock up, the DCX 3400 is not currently on our list of supported devices for this feature. 

 

Certainly, now knowing the identified risk that I outlined, one could attempt to try it out with that known caveat. 

 

If it works for you, then you may not need to swap the DVR out for another model. If it doesn't work to your satisfaction, then a DVR swap may be in order.

 

Our teams (along with Arris, the new name for the former Motorola cable box division) have identified and resolved this particular issue and have a bundled firmware update to address this. That is scheduled to start being delivered to cable boxes this year and into 2014.  

 

Thanks for your patience.  


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

Any idea when you plan to open the esata port on the Pace px001anm in the sacramento ca area? I understand that you are planning on going to the clould but that solution has some drawbacks in my opinion. First, I would guess you arent going to give everyone a terabyte of storage in the cloud. Second playing from the cloud is limited to download speeds, upload speeds, time of day congestion etc. None of which are present with a connected storage device throiough the esata port.

 

Thanks

Regular Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

I'm in Maryland, the RNG200N is the best DVR I've ever had from Comcast.  My only complaint is that you can only record two shows at the same time.  I'm considering moving to the X1 to get more tuners.

Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan


@mikeshivley wrote:

Any idea when you plan to open the esata port on the Pace px001anm in the sacramento ca area? I understand that you are planning on going to the clould but that solution has some drawbacks in my opinion. First, I would guess you arent going to give everyone a terabyte of storage in the cloud. Second playing from the cloud is limited to download speeds, upload speeds, time of day congestion etc. None of which are present with a connected storage device throiough the esata port.

 

Thanks


For our customers on the X1 Platform, we do have plans for additional DVR storage via a cloud DVR system as well as a current roadmap item to activate the e-SATA port.

 

No definite timeline to announce on that right now but both of those items are currently on the roadmap.  

 

Storage options and pricing options have not yet been announced. The premise and goal is that the cloud DVR will provide a seamless experience and the opportunity to access your DVR recordings from any connected device. 


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!