Community Forum

External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expander)

Regular Visitor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

Thanks so much ComcastTeds. It worked like a charm. DVR capacity went from 69% to 7% full. Is it true that if the My Book is ever disconnected from the DVR, all is lost on the My Book even if it is plugged back in? Same for DVR? Is there any way to tell which device a particular recording is stored on?

Thanks again for your help.

Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

@C130Driver wrote:

Thanks so much ComcastTeds. It worked like a charm. DVR capacity went from 69% to 7% full. Is it true that if the My Book is ever disconnected from the DVR, all is lost on the My Book even if it is plugged back in? Same for DVR? Is there any way to tell which device a particular recording is stored on?

Thanks again for your help.

Great news! 

All future DVR recordings will be stored automatically on the hard drive with the most space available (which in most all cases going forward will be the external hard drive).

The external hard drive is synced with the DVR that it is initially connected to. You can disconnect  and reconnect the external hard drive to-from that specific DVR without losing any DVR recordings. 

If the external drive is disconnected and then reconnected to another DVR the on-screen prompts will ask you if you would like to reformat the drive which (if you press OK) would delete the recordings on the external drive.

Some more information and FAQs are at the link below: 
http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/external-dvr-storage/

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Thanks again ComcastTeds, I appreciate your help and quick response.

Regular Visitor

Any update on when Florida will be active? I am in Tallahassee (so close to Georgia), will it work here?

Thanks.....

JK

Contributor

Any updates on MD/DC/VA? 

Official Employee

@Jeffkahn wrote:

Any update on when Florida will be active? I am in Tallahassee (so close to Georgia), will it work here?

Thanks.....

JK

Not ready for Motorola branded DVRs in Florida yet. I don't yet have a confirmed date but it is expected to be over the summer. Thanks for your patience.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

@Glenn54 wrote:

Any updates on MD/DC/VA? 

I don't yet have a confirmed schedule for for our Motorola branded DVRs in your area. We do expect to have this feature activated over the summer for DC, MD and VA. Thanks for your patience.

Regular Contributor

ComcastTeds -- we got the firmware update in Maryland sometime on Tuesday.  We have the DNG-200N model.  Besides the ability to add an external hard drive it's really nice to be able to turn closed captioning on/off from a menu (rather than the technician menu).  Is there a handy list of other new features this firmware update brought with it?

Changing topics a bit -- in one room we have one of the small hockey-puck sized digital adapters.  It recently has been doing something odd -- when surfing channels the sound cuts in and out -- I've learned I have to hit the Language button to get the sound back.  Sometimes, even on one channel - the sound cuts in and out between commercials and content (different encoding, I guess).  Any idea why this started happening?  I called customer service, their only advice was to take the adapter in for a swap-out.

Frequent Visitor

ComcastTeds-Does this mean that all of the Maryland Motorola DVRs have gotten the firmware update?

Official Employee

@DeltaOne wrote:

ComcastTeds -- we got the firmware update in Maryland sometime on Tuesday.  We have the RNG-200N model.  Besides the ability to add an external hard drive it's really nice to be able to turn closed captioning on/off from a menu (rather than the technician menu).  Is there a handy list of other new features this firmware update brought with it?

Changing topics a bit -- in one room we have one of the small hockey-puck sized digital adapters.  It recently has been doing something odd -- when surfing channels the sound cuts in and out -- I've learned I have to hit the Language button to get the sound back.  Sometimes, even on one channel - the sound cuts in and out between commercials and content (different encoding, I guess).  Any idea why this started happening?  I called customer service, their only advice was to take the adapter in for a swap-out.

The software and firmware update that was recently delivered to cable boxes in your area is one of the the required first steps in the process of activating the e-SATA port for external hard drive use. So, that specific feature is not active yet but is expected to be turned on over the summer in your area of Maryland. Thanks for your patience. 

In addition to (eventual) external hard drive support capability, a short list of some of the more impacting updates included in that release are listed below:

•Xfinity TV App 2.0 Support
–Direct playback of entitled On Demand content on the TV using mobile devices and tablets
–Addition of DVR playback/resume functions on the TV using mobile devices and tablets. 
–Display of completed DVR recordings list on mobile devices and tablets

•Closed Caption Setup options in the guide menu
–Enables customers to turn on/off captions
–Enables setting of background on/off
–All other offline caption options for font, color, etc. are preserved.

•Help key configuration support
–HELP key on the Comcast silver remote control is now active and able to launch into On Demand Help area 

•Maintenance, stability and operations improvements

Let me have someone from our team review and work on the DTA issues  you described.  

Official Employee

@samgag wrote:

ComcastTeds-Does this mean that all of the Maryland Motorola DVRs have gotten the firmware update?

The remaining locations for the Motorola software and firmware update are listed below:

Prince Georges County, MD
Montgomery County, MD
Washington, DC

The above locations are currently scheduled to receive this update by mid-August.

This software and firmware update is one of the required first steps in the process of activating the
e-SATA port for external hard drive use. So, that specific feature is not active yet but is expected to be turned on over the summer in Maryland. Thanks for your patience. 

Frequent Visitor

ComcastTeds: I'm in Baltimore County.  How do I determine if I have the update?

Frequent Visitor

What's the status for the Chicago Western Suburbs? Any idea on timing for activating the port?

Frequent Visitor

How about Minneapolis, MN?

Regular Contributor

I learned of the firmware update when changing channels.  As you type the channel number it appears in a black box on the screen -- that's different than before with the old firmware.  Also look for Closed Captioning options under Menu, the Set Up.

Official Employee

@samgag wrote:

ComcastTeds: I'm in Baltimore County.  How do I determine if I have the update?

The Motorola-branded cable boxes in your area should already have this update. An easy way to tell is to press the menu button twice on the silver Comcast remote control, select Set up. If you see the Closed Caption Set Up option in the upper right of the screen then you have the update.

To be clear, having this update does not mean that the e-SATA port is activated for external hard drives.

None of the Motorola DVRs in Maryland have this feature activated yet. There is some additional work on our end that needs to be completed for that to happen. The feature is expected to be activated over the summer in MD. Thanks!

Official Employee

@Anon69696969 wrote:

What's the status for the Chicago Western Suburbs? Any idea on timing for activating the port?

I don't yet have a confirmed schedule for the Chicago area, although the current target and expectation is to have the feature activated over the summer. Thanks for your patience.

Official Employee

@MarkEMN wrote:

How about Minneapolis, MN?

I don't yet have a confirmed schedule for the Motorola branded DVR's in the Twin Cities area, although the current target and expectation is to have the feature activated over the summer. Thanks for your patience.

For others in Minnesota, this feature is working for customers across the river where we use Cisco and Scientific-Atlanta branded DVRs.

Frequent Visitor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs

I am so confused...

I checked the model of my DVR Motorola - DCT3416, Area - MAssachusetts, and ordered the model specified from Western Digital.  This was over a week ago.  I call their support today, and was told that Comcast had to "approve" the shipment of the expander.  It sounded like Comcast had to actively say that it would work with my DVR in my area and that they could then ship it.  (Seems odd to micromanage to that extent, but whatever.)

I called Comcast support and was told that there was nothing they could/needed to do.  Since I had gone from Comcast to WD through the Comcast Website the "approval" was implicit.

I called back Western Digital and got a different support rep.  I was told that the delay was because Comcast had to roll out the upgrades "everywhere" before the devices would be released and that only the vice presidents at Comcast and WD could/would make that decision.  Apparently they are in stock but they are not allowed to ship them.

They indicated that the firmware of the drives is specific to Comcast and that the generic version might or might not work.  I could cancel my current order and order that and it would ship.

My confusion is about what to do.  

Is expansion yet available in my area on my DVR?  Comcast website indicates, yes.

Do I need the specific model linked to by Comcast?  I don't know.  What differences are there in the firmware for the expanders.  Of course it is at my "risk" to use one not approved.

Has my DVR been updated, and has the port been activated?  Don't know...  I'll look back in this forum to see if I can figure it out.

How do I find out if anything that is told to me by WD and/or Comcast is really true?

Most importantly, how do I get WD to send me the expander?

Frequent Visitor

ComcastTeds--Can you let us know on this forum when the external drive feature is definitively activated in each of our areas?  I had to cancel my order for a drive earlier this year and want to reorder only when I know all systems are, "GO."

Official Employee

@bws010101 wrote:

I am so confused...

I checked the model of my DVR Motorola - DCT3416, Area - MAssachusetts, and ordered the model specified from Western Digital.  This was over a week ago.  I call their support today, and was told that Comcast had to "approve" the shipment of the expander.  It sounded like Comcast had to actively say that it would work with my DVR in my area and that they could then ship it.  (Seems odd to micromanage to that extent, but whatever.)

I called Comcast support and was told that there was nothing they could/needed to do.  Since I had gone from Comcast to WD through the Comcast Website the "approval" was implicit.

I called back Western Digital and got a different support rep.  I was told that the delay was because Comcast had to roll out the upgrades "everywhere" before the devices would be released and that only the vice presidents at Comcast and WD could/would make that decision.  Apparently they are in stock but they are not allowed to ship them.

They indicated that the firmware of the drives is specific to Comcast and that the generic version might or might not work.  I could cancel my current order and order that and it would ship.

My confusion is about what to do.  

Is expansion yet available in my area on my DVR?  Comcast website indicates, yes.

Do I need the specific model linked to by Comcast?  I don't know.  What differences are there in the firmware for the expanders.  Of course it is at my "risk" to use one not approved.

Has my DVR been updated, and has the port been activated?  Don't know...  I'll look back in this forum to see if I can figure it out.

How do I find out if anything that is told to me by WD and/or Comcast is really true?

Most importantly, how do I get WD to send me the expander?

Apologies for the confusion. Your order has been shipped. The port has been automatically and pro-actively activated on all DVRs for all areas of MA including the DCT 3416.  

Lots of good information here:

Your order came through a Western Digital and Comcast co-branded website. To set the proper expectations, any orders that are placed by customers in Comcast areas are reviewed to be sure that the feature is indeed activated. 

This is being done to alleviate any potential miscommunication. For our customers in areas where the feature is not yet activated, it was important for us to let them know that before completing their purchase. The process was set up to alleviate disappointment, confusion, customer calls to Western Digital and Comcast and potential returns and refunds – all of which can be easily avoided.

We continue to activate new areas each month and eventually this process won’t be needed. I am in direct daily contact with a Sr. Manager at Western Digital on all the transactions that come through the co-branded website.

In your case, I received your information from Western Digital on July 24 at 12:11pm. I approved your order that same day at 1:36pm. Your device should have shipped yesterday or this morning from Western Digital. I will follow up with Western Digital to see where the delay may have been prior to July 24.  

Apologies again for the confusion, thanks for your interest and thanks for being a Comcast customer.

ADDITION: I heard from Western Digital that your web order was placed on July 18. Please let me know when the device arrrives, thanks.

Official Employee

@samgag wrote:

ComcastTeds--Can you let us know on this forum when the external drive feature is definitively activated in each of our areas?  I had to cancel my order for a drive earlier this year and want to reorder only when I know all systems are, "GO."

The best place to obtain availability information is on the website below.  

Also, if you ordered through the Western Digital-Comcast co-branded site, then you will also get an
e-mail when the feature is activate in your area.  

Frequent Visitor

ComcastTeds - After several months of being able to use an external hard drive with my DVR just fine, I'm suddenly receiving this message any time i try to view anything that's saved to my external drive:

"The requested recording is stored on an external drive. The use of external drive is not authorized with your account. Please contact your provider. Alert 15"

Again, this is after months of it working just fine. I tried to call in and get this corrected, and just like any other time i have an issue with Comcast, they fail me completely and suggest i take it to my local Comcast office. Please tell me there's something you can do to fix this,  if i lose everything on this drive, i can't see myself sticking with Comcast. This is make or break territory...

Official Employee

@Bushleaguer wrote:

ComcastTeds - After several months of being able to use an external hard drive with my DVR just fine, I'm suddenly receiving this message any time i try to view anything that's saved to my external drive:

"The requested recording is stored on an external drive. The use of external drive is not authorized with your account. Please contact your provider. Alert 15"

Again, this is after months of it working just fine. I tried to call in and get this corrected, and just like any other time i have an issue with Comcast, they fail me completely and suggest i take it to my local Comcast office. Please tell me there's something you can do to fix this,  if i lose everything on this drive, i can't see myself sticking with Comcast. This is make or break territory...

Apologies for what you described.

Alert 15 indicates that the external hard drive port (e-SATA connection) has lost authorization. Our local team is looking at your account now. Thanks for your patience.

Frequent Visitor

ComcastTeds wrote:

bws010101 wrote:

I am so confused...

ADDITION: I heard from Western Digital that your web order was placed on July 18. Please let me know when the device arrrives, thanks.

With two day shipping it finally arrived at noon July 29.  Plugged it in, powered it up and formated for the DVR.  Very quick "format" for 1TB,  I assume that it was just exchanging encryption keys.

In any event, DVR still shows the old content, for which we are glad, and is now at 13% capacity vs. full.  We'll try out the actual recording capability soon.  So far it appears to be a successful expansion.  Now my wife is questioning why we went this route rather than X1...  Advertisements are starting to show up on our system.  Oh well, we seems to behind the technology curve on that one.

Thanks for the information and quick response last week.

Frequent Visitor

Any updates with my situation?

Regular Contributor

What happens first? DCX3400 gets approved for use with external SATA or it's the year 2020???

This is ridiculous. It's been 10 months since we've been told that it was being worked on. By the time, it's ready, X1 will be everywhere.

New Poster

When will the Chicago market get the external hard drive support?
Frequent Visitor

Still hoping for an update on this ComcastTeds, if this isn't something that can be corrected, I need to know so I can start the process of changing providers.
Frequent Visitor

It's now been over 2 weeks since my external hard drive "lost authorization" with my Motorola DVR. Is my loca team even researching my issue any more? I've heard nothing. Is there a number i can reach them at. This is exceptionally discouraging.

Frequent Visitor

What happened to activation in FL?  We were slated for June, then July, then summer, and now not even included with those that will be coming on in September.  I bought the WD drive in June and haven't been able to use it. 

Frequent Visitor

Anybody know what happened to ComcastTeds????

Frequent Visitor

not sure what happened to him either, but he did get my issue resolved, so I'm very grateful for his help. When all other forms of Comcast's customer service failed, he not only knew what he was talking about, but knew how to get resolution too. Very much appreciated.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Any idea on a timeline for this feature to be released to the Denver metro area?  It seems like this is slowly rolling out from east to west and it hasn't even made it to IL yet.  Is there any chance of it being available in my area by the end of 2013?

I'm not sure if ComcastTeds is still around to ask this, but hopefully someone can chime in...

Thanks!

Official Employee

@kg33 wrote:

What happened to activation in FL?  We were slated for June, then July, then summer, and now not even included with those that will be coming on in September.  I bought the WD drive in June and haven't been able to use it. 

Apologies for the delay regarding this feature in your area of Florida.

Our local engineering teams ran into an unforeseen and unexpected technical issue during the activation process. They were not able to activate the e-SATA port as scheduled. They attempted a few times.

Once I have an updated date for your area, I will be sure and let you know. it is expected to be this year. Thanks for your patience.

Official Employee

@bws010101 wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@bws010101 wrote:

I am so confused...

With two day shipping it finally arrived at noon July 29.  Plugged it in, powered it up and formated for the DVR.  Very quick "format" for 1TB,  I assume that it was just exchanging encryption keys.

In any event, DVR still shows the old content, for which we are glad, and is now at 13% capacity vs. full.  We'll try out the actual recording capability soon.  So far it appears to be a successful expansion.  Now my wife is questioning why we went this route rather than X1...  Advertisements are starting to show up on our system.  Oh well, we seems to behind the technology curve on that one.

Thanks for the information and quick response last week.

Glad to hear that the device finally arrived and that it is working. Apologies for the shipping delay, I did ask Western Digital to contact you and I requested a credit for your shipping charges. 

Official Employee

@davephillips41 wrote:

What happens first? DCX3400 gets approved for use with external SATA or it's the year 2020???

This is ridiculous. It's been 10 months since we've been told that it was being worked on. By the time, it's ready, X1 will be everywhere.

The DCX 3400 will get approved for use with e-SATA first.

Apologies for the delay in the firmware and software cycle required to address this situation.

Official Employee

@John001 wrote:
When will the Chicago market get the external hard drive support?

The Chicago area along with western Indiana are currently scheduled to have this feature activated the week of September 2. Thanks for your patience.  

Official Employee

@samgag wrote:

Anybody know what happened to ComcastTeds????

I'm still here, what can I help you with?

Frequent Visitor

And Baltimore?

Official Employee

@Bushleaguer wrote:

not sure what happened to him either, but he did get my issue resolved, so I'm very grateful for his help. When all other forms of Comcast's customer service failed, he not only knew what he was talking about, but knew how to get resolution too. Very much appreciated.

Glad to hear that our local team was able to resolve this for you. Thanks so much for your kind words and thanks for your patience while the team investigated and resolved.  

Frequent Visitor

Glad to have you back ComcastTeds.  Wasn't sure what happened.

Official Employee

@jnbicking wrote:

Any idea on a timeline for this feature to be released to the Denver metro area?  It seems like this is slowly rolling out from east to west and it hasn't even made it to IL yet.  Is there any chance of it being available in my area by the end of 2013?

I'm not sure if ComcastTeds is still around to ask this, but hopefully someone can chime in...

Thanks!

Unfortunately, l don’t yet have a confirmed date for this feature to be activated in your area of Colorado.

NM, TX and MN already do have this feature available (areas that have Cisco and Scientific-Atlanta branded DVRs).

Chicago and western Indiana are currently scheduled to have this feature for early next month (the week of September 2). Thanks for your continued patience.    

Frequent Visitor

Reading your post, ComcastTeds, only for Cisco or Scientific Atlanta in MN, correct?  Nothing yet on Motorola in MN yet?  Thanks.

Official Employee

@samgag wrote:

And Baltimore?

Areas of MD, DE and VA where we use Cisco and Scientific-Atlanta branded DVRs already have this feature activated (actually all areas where we use these type of DVRs).

For areas of MD, DC and VA where we use Motorola branded DVRs, we are currently targeting the week of September 2 for this feature to be activated. Thanks for your patience.  

Official Employee

@samgag wrote:

Glad to have you back ComcastTeds.  Wasn't sure what happened.

Glad to be back LOL. Glad to be missed.

I was on vacation for one of those weeks. Also five hours worth of posts were lost on the afternoon-evening of Monday, August 5 (a lot of my responses are done in the afternoons) so we were waiting to see if those could be easily restored before reposting lots of repeat replys.

Official Employee

@MarkEMN wrote:

Reading your post, ComcastTeds, only for Cisco or Scientific Atlanta in MN, correct?  Nothing yet on Motorola in MN yet?  Thanks.

Correct, nothing yet for our Motorola branded areas of MN.

Official Employee

Just as a quick update, we did recently update the availability document (August 9) over at the site below:

This feature has been activated for DVRs in Kentucky. 

MD, DC, VA, IL and the remainder of Indiana are now currently scheduled to be activated the week of September 2. 

Thanks for your patience.

Frequent Visitor

I know it wasn't listed on the document.  I regularly check it before I post.  Any idea as to when the Motorola DVR's in MN, particularly Minneapolis Suburbs will get the feature?  I'm in the Brooklyn Park system.

Frequent Visitor

Yep, I think that they may have acted 

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@bws010101 wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@bws010101 wrote:

Glad to hear that the device finally arrived and that it is working. Apologies for the shipping delay, I did ask Western Digital to contact you and I requested a credit for your shipping charges. 

Yep,  I think I saw some activity from them about crediting shipping charges...

What?  They let you take vacations. Seems that no information gets out when you aren't there...

Just kidding, hope that you were able to get away and not think about anything Comcast related.

(actually, Im just trying to get post # 500 in this thread.)