Community Forum

External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expander)

Valued Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

Thanks for the response.

Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola DVD's (DVR Expander)

@JimSat wrote:

I have the A30 guide and it seems like the eSATA port is enabled.  When I turn on my external drive I get an Alert 08 screen on my tv saying my account does not allow the use of extral drives.  What does this mean and what has to happen for it to work?  I'm in Crown Point, IN.

I wanted to confirm what some others have already posted here - the external hard drive feature is not yet active and turned on in the South Bend area.

We continue to activate new areas on a regular basis and we do publish a list of the Comcast areas where the external hard drive feature feature is active. That information is provided in the initial post of this thread and also at the Western Digital website.

The feature is currently scheduled to be activated in your area of Indiana (South Bend area) by the end of March 2013.

You can certainly either hold on to the external drive for now or return it to Western Digital for a refund. It will work on the DVRs that you mentioned (DCT6412 and DCX3501) once the e-SATA port is activated.

The A30 guide is only part of what needs to be done in each area. The e-SATA port is not yet active in your area.  The e-SATA port will be automatically updated for all DVRs in each market once the feature is turned on. There is no need to contact us to have the e-SATA port turned on.

Apologies again for any confusion we caused. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for Motorola/Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco DVRs (DVR Expan

@MikeWolf wrote:

Thanks for the response. What is the techological difference between WDBACS0010HBK-NESN and  WDBABT0010HBK-NESN aside from price and one including a usb cable, adapter for Sony camcorders, and quick start guide, and the other does not? Are they identical except for the part number?

That is a question better suited for Western Digital. Some links below may assist.

http://support.wdc.com/product/kb.asp?wdc_lang=en

http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Valued Contributor

I did and they didn't know and referred me back to Comcast since I'm a Comcast customer.

Valued Contributor

An idea that could be implemented would be the use of the message feature on the DVR to notify customers of either a generalized loose schedule of when the update will take place in their area (like by the week), or that the update has already taken place. I'm not familiar with how the messaging system works so it may not be possible.

Contributor

That's ridiculous!  Comcast tested one of WD models and because you are a Comcast customer, they expect Comcast to have all the details of the WD product line?  I wouldn't have accepted that answer.  They might know why one would work but not the other, but they should be able to tell you why they are different!

Official Employee

@MikeWolf wrote:

I did and they didn't know and referred me back to Comcast since I'm a Comcast customer.

The drives you mentioned are manufactured and sold by Western Digital, not Comcast.

Western Digital has the best resources to tell you the variances between the two Western Digital items you asked about (regardless of what company happens to be your video service provider). I would suggest that you contact them again.

Official Employee

@MikeWolf wrote:

An idea that could be implemented would be the use of the message feature on the DVR to notify customers of either a generalized loose schedule of when the update will take place in their area (like by the week), or that the update has already taken place. I'm not familiar with how the messaging system works so it may not be possible.

Some locations are doing that.

Valued Contributor

After several hours on the phone I was able to elevate it to a level 2 technician and I'm being told that they are litterally identical, the only difference being the model number letters because the CS one was tested specifically with Motorola and Cisco for Verizon FiOS and Comcast DVR's.

I was also told that either the BT verson the CS version will work identical on any of the set top boxes listed as being supported or compatible by the CS model, and that any technical support related issues on either box will be treated the same. So for example if you are having an issue with your set top box or BT verison of the DVR Expander, Western Digital tech support won't deny you support even if you aren't using the CS "supported" version. They will refer you to speak to Comcast (or your cable/FiOS provider) about the issue and if it cannot be resolved through them, WD support will help, just like they would if you were using the CS version. I can't speak if Comcast technical support would do the same thing.

Valued Contributor

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@MikeWolf wrote:

What areas are, and why is it not standard practice? Same thing with scheduled service outages, use the notification system to inform the customers ahead of time.

New Poster

Hey ComcastTeds, You're doing a great job in answering questions. I'm hoping you might have an answer for me as well. 

I live in California in the city of San Leandro. I just bought a WD 1TB Extender HDD to connect to my Motorola DTC3412 DVR. After connecting the two, I received an "Alert 08" message advising me to contact Comcast because external drives are not supported on my account.

I tried to find a solution and from what I gather, California residents don't have Extender support yet. If this is true, do you know when I should expect it? The problem is I'm unsure if I should keep the WD Extender or return it. I have 28 days to return it.

Thanks.

Valued Contributor

If I may be so bold Sam, I believe that the expander support is going to be brought to your area in a short while, so you would be welcome to hold onto the expander drive until then, or return it for now and re-purchase it when the update takes place. It will work fine once the update takes place.

Official Employee

@MikeWolf wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@MikeWolf wrote:

What areas are, and why is it not standard practice? Same thing with scheduled service outages, use the notification system to inform the customers ahead of time.

Each Comcast system or region has some level of autonomy on which communication tactics (box message, bill message, direct mail, outbound phone message, inbound phone message, etc.) they would like to implement based on best practices, potential impact, costs and timing. 

We certainly provide and recommend suggested tactics and language regarding new products and guide updates but those are typically implemented at the local market discretion and timing. 

Official Employee

@MikeWolf wrote:

After several hours on the phone I was able to elevate it to a level 2 technician and I'm being told that they are litterally identical, the only difference being the model number letters because the CS one was tested specifically with Motorola and Cisco for Verizon FiOS and Comcast DVR's.

I was also told that either the BT verson the CS version will work identical on any of the set top boxes listed as being supported or compatible by the CS model, and that any technical support related issues on either box will be treated the same. So for example if you are having an issue with your set top box or BT verison of the DVR Expander, Western Digital tech support won't deny you support even if you aren't using the CS "supported" version. They will refer you to speak to Comcast (or your cable/FiOS provider) about the issue and if it cannot be resolved through them, WD support will help, just like they would if you were using the CS version. I can't speak if Comcast technical support would do the same thing.

Glad to hear the Western Digital could provide you with the answer and support on the products that they sell. 

Official Employee

@CaliforniaSam wrote:

Hey ComcastTeds, You're doing a great job in answering questions. I'm hoping you might have an answer for me as well. 

I live in California in the city of San Leandro. I just bought a WD 1TB Extender HDD to connect to my Motorola DTC3412 DVR. After connecting the two, I received an "Alert 08" message advising me to contact Comcast because external drives are not supported on my account.

I tried to find a solution and from what I gather, California residents don't have Extender support yet. If this is true, do you know when I should expect it? The problem is I'm unsure if I should keep the WD Extender or return it. I have 28 days to return it.

Thanks.

Thanks for your kind words. The external hard drive feature is not yet active and turned on in California.

We continue to activate new areas on a regular basis and we do publish a list of the Comcast areas where the external hard drive feature feature is active. That information is provided in the initial post of this thread and also at the Western Digital website.

The feature is currently scheduled to be activated in your area of California by the end of March 2013.

You can certainly either hold on to the external drive for now or return it to Western Digital for a refund. It will work on the DCT 3412 once the e-SATA port is activated.

The e-SATA port will be automatically updated for all DVRs in each market once the feature is turned on. There is no need to contact us to have the e-SATA port turned on.

New Poster

You answered my question perfectly. Thanks for your help. 

Regular Contributor

"Comcast areas in CT, MA, VT, ME, NY and NH are currently scheduled for the week of January 14."

Hey I would think NJ would be after NY? If so, possible timing on it? Thanks

Official Employee

@JamesJJK wrote:

"Comcast areas in CT, MA, VT, ME, NY and NH are currently scheduled for the week of January 14."

Hey I would think NJ would be after NY? If so, possible timing on it? Thanks

Perfect timing. I just updated the first post in this thread with the below:

1.18.13 SCHEDULE UPDATE:  Comcast areas in CT, MA, VT, ME, NY and NH now have this feature available. 

Comcast areas in PA, NJ and DE are currently scheduled to be supported the week of February 12.  All areas are currently scheduled to have this feature available in early 2013.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Just an update from last week (and a CT area customer).  I did opt for the specific drive model indicated above-- ordered directly from WD folks-- as an aside, they did somehow "lose" the order placed on 1/11-  it took repeated phone calls (boo!) but the drive was finally sent last night via overnight shipping. (WD waived the shipping charge-- yay!).

Anyways- powered up drive and box, was prompted with a confirmation and formatting of the drive. Everything indicated as successful.  Open spaced increased, opening up 90% of the drive-- (I think I was around 80% full before that?) .  Drive runs quiet.  Whole process took 20 seconds.

Thanks to helpful responses and input to forum posters and Comcast Teds.  Looking forward to fewer "battles" over cable box storage space with the family!

Regular Visitor

Hi,

I live in MA and as of 1/18/13 I do not a have the DVR expander capability.  I get the A08 error message.  I tried calling Comcast tech support and the gentleman I spoke to had no idea what I was talking about.  He had never heard of the A30 update.  

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

LA06

Frequent Visitor

I live in MA  too and ours was enabled on 1/14/13. Help depends on who you talk to. Previously I tried their live chat and the person I got (in another country?) still said it was company policy not to enable the eSATA port. He didn't believe me until I sent him the link to their webpage selling the external drives. Try calling during the day time normal working hours or go in person to a service center.

Regular Visitor

Thanks for your replies.

To srgdw107, did you get some sort of message letting you know the box received the A30 update?

ETA: I was on the phone with Comcast tech support for about 40 min, at first the woman I spoke with had no idea what I was talking about but looked into it further.  The conclusion is she doesn't know why my box is not active but asked that I call back in a week to give them time for their systems to be updated. I guess I am SOL for now. 

Frequent Visitor

No messages from Comcast, LA06, this board has been my best source of info. Look under the CABLE BOX SETUP, CONFIGURATION, S/W VER. In the middle of that string I saw the "a30" upgrade noted. Comcast has to download that version to your box before they can activate the eSATA port.

Regular Visitor

Thanks srgdw107, I checked the s/w version and a30 is there.  Maybe I'll call Comcast back later today.  Thanks for your help!

Frequent Visitor

LA06, My port was enabled overnight. Check yours in the morning.

Frequent Visitor

Ultimately, my enthusiasm for a $129.99 addon expense to address the old hardware space outweighs MY current frustration with the comcast hardware.  I'll also say that I considered the scenario (as unlikely as it may be), that a miracle will occur tomorrow and I'll get a piece of hardward from Comcast that I feel is comparable to other content providers. (I LOVE my dad's DISH hardware, apps, and U/I.)-- at which point I will disconnect this hard drive from the ol' motorola and use if for some network storage (that I don't really need, but will at least get SOMETHING out of my $129.99).  I just didn't reach my "tipping point" with Comcast's hardware to consider cutting the cord.  I was close, though!

I don't recommend Comcast television to folks that move into my area-- and I can say it is simply due to the "embarassment" of their existing hardware offerings.  They've done enough to keep me hooked.

Valued Contributor

I really have no idea what you guys are talking about. If you guys aren't happy with what Comcast offers you're all more then welcome to use another DVR service such as TiVo or a streaming service like Netflix or Slingbox

There are good reasons why the USB port has not been enabled yet, such as copy protection so people don't post it online when they aren't supposed to. If you guys want to stream your shows on other devices, there's a service called AnyPlay that Comcast is working on that will do just that.

I do not believe that the external hard drive concept and architecture is outdated.

You complain about the use of  eSATA instead of USB but eSATA is alot faster then USB, 3Gb/s compared to only 480mbps in regards to external storage usage.

Official Employee

@dsheldon999 wrote:

Just an update from last week (and a CT area customer).  I did opt for the specific drive model indicated above-- ordered directly from WD folks-- as an aside, they did somehow "lose" the order placed on 1/11-  it took repeated phone calls (boo!) but the drive was finally sent last night via overnight shipping. (WD waived the shipping charge-- yay!).

Anyways- powered up drive and box, was prompted with a confirmation and formatting of the drive. Everything indicated as successful.  Open spaced increased, opening up 90% of the drive-- (I think I was around 80% full before that?) .  Drive runs quiet.  Whole process took 20 seconds.

Thanks to helpful responses and input to forum posters and Comcast Teds.  Looking forward to fewer "battles" over cable box storage space with the family!

Thanks for the report. Glad to hear that this is working for you in Connecticut!

Official Employee

@LA06 wrote:

Hi,

I live in MA and as of 1/18/13 I do not a have the DVR expander capability.  I get the A08 error message.  I tried calling Comcast tech support and the gentleman I spoke to had no idea what I was talking about.  He had never heard of the A30 update.  

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

LA06

Apologies for this issue. Can you send me a private message confirming your address and DVR type so I can have someone take a look at your account and work to get this resolved for you? Thanks!   

Official Employee

Thread is now unlocked. A few posts were deleted due to violations of the Posting Guidelines (which are available for review anytime at the link below).

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Forum-Guidelines/Posting-Guidelines/td-p/866289

Valued Contributor

Cat Wink

Valued Contributor

Once a Motorola set top box has an enabled eSATA port, are they able to access the external drive utility? Do the features and messages featured in this .pdf appear on the Comcast Motorola set top box? http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Video-Solutions/_Documents/User_guides/Static_files/Motorola%20D...

Frequent Visitor

Any update on the DCX-3400 becoming compatible? Are we talking weeks or months? That is the only style DVR I have currently and a trip to my local offices was fruitless to get a DCX-3501 or RNG200N. I am very reluctant to give up Native output so I don't want to go back to the DCH/DCT series...Options?

Official Employee

@MikeWolf wrote:

Once a Motorola set top box has an enabled eSATA port, are they able to access the external drive utility? Do the features and messages featured in this .pdf appear on the Comcast Motorola set top box? http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Video-Solutions/_Documents/User_guides/Static_files/Motorola%20D...

The on-screen messages through page 21 on the link are fairly accurate and representative of the experience.   

I am checking with our core team on your question on the External Drive Utility feature (starting on page 22) and will provide a response once I get that information. Thanks for your patience.

Official Employee

@BSTNFAN wrote:

Any update on the DCX-3400 becoming compatible? Are we talking weeks or months? That is the only style DVR I have currently and a trip to my local offices was fruitless to get a DCX-3501 or RNG200N. I am very reluctant to give up Native output so I don't want to go back to the DCH/DCT series...Options?

The DCX3400 and DCX3400M are still being evaluated. The expectation is that both of those box types should and will work with the external hard drive.

We did not have 100% expected results with these boxes during our initial testing and evaluations. We felt it was important to leave these box types off the list for now while we make the functionality available now to a large number of DVRs.

Interestingly we have not yet been able to yet reproduce the earlier observed and reported issues, but we are continuing to investigate further.  

We continue to work with Western Digital and Motorola to understand better what the issues are and to resolve them. We expect to add the DCX 3400 and DCX 3400M set tops to the list of supported devices this year. I don't have a definitive time frame for that right now as the reviews and testing are still ongoing for these box types.  

I can tell you that I have read in other forums where customers are using an external hard drive with a DCX 3400 and DCX 3400M and they have not reported any issues. This matches our secondary testing scenarios to date.

I think you will see a better answer from me here in the next 30 days.      

Valued Contributor

Thank you for your response. I'm going to assume that users of the Cisco/SA set top equipment will never see a temperature gauge for the internal and external hard drives in the diagnostics screens like what is seen on the Motorolas? http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd468/hoglard/DVR_2-Copy.jpg Also I've noticed on the Cisco RNG200N's that on the HDD Info page the model number and serial number is missing, they're just blank.

Official Employee

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@MikeWolf wrote:

The on-screen messages through page 21 on the link are fairly accurate and representative of the experience.   

I am checking with our core team on your question on the External Drive Utility feature (starting on page 22) and will provide a response once I get that information. Thanks for your patience.

For external hard drives connected to a Motorola branded DVR - The external drive utility is accessible from the set top box. If you have a recording in the list that is on a drive that is not connected to the set top box, you will see an error message.  From the error message you would be able to link into the external drive utility.  You could then delete the content associated with the drive so it no long appears on the list of completed recordings. I hope that helps.

Official Employee

@MikeWolf wrote:

Thank you for your response. I'm going to assume that users of the Cisco/SA set top equipment will never see a temperature gauge for the internal and external hard drives in the diagnostics screens like what is seen on the Motorolas? http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd468/hoglard/DVR_2-Copy.jpg Also I've noticed on the Cisco RNG200N's that on the HDD Info page the model number and serial number is missing, they're just blank.

Never is a pretty definitive word. Currently there is not a temperature gauge for the hard drives for the Cisco and Scientific Atlanta DVRs. I am not aware of any plans for that to change but I will check with Cisco as the diagnostics screens are firmware screens.

Wait, Motorola does something "better" than Cisco?       

Regular Visitor

How about the USB PORTS. There is a front and back port on the DVR'S that don't work. If you would active them we could watch home movies that are on flash drives.  All kinds of viewing could be done this way.  What gives?  If they're on the equipment that we rent, why can't we use them?

Valued Contributor

I like the idea of the USB port being used for media viewing.

Contributor

I am curious about problems with the DCX-3400 as well.  I bought the expander as well.  I hooked it up, it asked to format the expander.  I now have a ton of free space.  Seems like its working properly.

Valued Contributor

Yeah, I think it would be a good idea to let us know what issues were seen so we'll know what to look out for and report back with our findings it something occurs.

Official Employee

@diggerjuly wrote:

How about the USB PORTS. There is a front and back port on the DVR'S that don't work. If you would active them we could watch home movies that are on flash drives.  All kinds of viewing could be done this way.  What gives?  If they're on the equipment that we rent, why can't we use them?

USB ports are not currently enabled or functional on the cable boxes for connecting to external devices. You may be able to do what you are looking to do via a USB port on your TV set.

The USB port is not enabled primarily to prevent the removal of copyrighted content from a DVR as well as the addition of content to the Comcast owned-DVR. This ensures that customers cannot record copyrighted programming and transfer it to other digital media and also protects the DVR unit from unauthorized firmware upgrades or other software modifications.

We don't have any current plans to enable the USB ports on the cable box.

Official Employee

@MikeWolf wrote:

What exactly were the issues originally observed in the testing of the DCX-3400 with an external drive?

The exact issues observed are actually confidential and proprietary.  

As mentioned earlier, we did not have 100% expected results with these boxes during our initial testing and evaluations. That was a concern.

We felt it was important to leave these box types off the list for now while we make the functionality available now to a very large number of DVRs. We are almost complete with the additional rounds of more specific testing. 

The good news is that we have not seen any of these initial issues in our subsequent testing.

I want to wait for the final test report to be issued internally before we move ahead with officially supporting the DCX 3400 models. Thanks for your interest and your patience and please let me know if you experience any issues with the external hard drive.  

Frequent Visitor

Comcast Ted... when will Elmhurst, IL be activated for the DVR Expansion drive?

Contributor

Well, here's what I have found.  When I got up this morning, the DCX 3400 was locked up.  I unplugged the extender and cycled the power to the box.  So rather than record programs and being unable to access them, I am leaving the extender unplugged for now.  Lets hope a fix comes quickly!

Official Employee

@Anon69696969 wrote:

Comcast Ted... when will Elmhurst, IL be activated for the DVR Expansion drive?

All areas are currently scheduled to have this feature available in early 2013.Thanks for your patience.

Official Employee

@g-mason wrote:

Well, here's what I have found.  When I got up this morning, the DCX 3400 was locked up.  I unplugged the extender and cycled the power to the box.  So rather than record programs and being unable to access them, I am leaving the extender unplugged for now.  Lets hope a fix comes quickly!

Thanks for your feedback and observations.

As mentioned earlier the DCX 3400 and DCX 3400M models are not currently supported for the external hard drive feature. We continue to work with Motorola and Western Digital on a resolution before we can  support that feature with these models. 

We expect that to be this year. Thanks for your patience.   

Frequent Visitor

Will any type of notice go out when this is available?

Official Employee

@Anon69696969 wrote:

Will any type of notice go out when this is available?

We will certainly update all of our related websites and this thread. Thanks for your patience.