Community Forum

Emergency Alert System annoyance

New Poster

Emergency Alert System annoyance

I moved from DirecTV to Comcast several months ago and use TiVos. I work from home and watch a lot of TV during the day and evening, but for the most part, I watch recorded content via my TiVo boxes.

The one thing I find really annoying about Comcast are the Emergency
Alert notices. The notices cut off whatever recording I am watching with
a banner announcing the alert, dumping me into Live TV. When the alert
finishes, I am not placed back into the recording I was watching.

The annoying part of this is that the alert is usually not for my area
(Hillsborough County, NH). The alerts are for Mass, VT, CT, ME, and many
counties in NH other than mine. The alerts also can happen many times in one day (up to 5).

Certainly in the 21st Century, Comcast has the programming expertise to
deliver these alerts to the proper areas and not to a severely wide
range audience.

There are a few small issues I am dealing with, but this issue is making
me rethink my move away from DirecTV and onto Comcast for TV.

Is there any solution for this issue that I can take?

Expert

Re: Emergency Alert System annoyance

@Marvink9 wrote:

I moved from DirecTV to Comcast several months ago and use TiVos. I work from home and watch a lot of TV during the day and evening, but for the most part, I watch recorded content via my TiVo boxes.

The one thing I find really annoying about Comcast are the Emergency
Alert notices. The notices cut off whatever recording I am watching with
a banner announcing the alert, dumping me into Live TV. When the alert
finishes, I am not placed back into the recording I was watching.

The annoying part of this is that the alert is usually not for my area
(Hillsborough County, NH). The alerts are for Mass, VT, CT, ME, and many
counties in NH other than mine. The alerts also can happen many times in one day (up to 5).

Certainly in the 21st Century, Comcast has the programming expertise to
deliver these alerts to the proper areas and not to a severely wide
range audience.

There are a few small issues I am dealing with, but this issue is making
me rethink my move away from DirecTV and onto Comcast for TV.

Is there any solution for this issue that I can take?

emergency messages are not done/set/arranged/etc by Comcast. the authorities in your area use a PC and after authenticating place the msg in the queue. You then get the message live in real time per federal law. any show in progress (as you described) is interrupted as your are 'tuned' to a special channel to receive the message. when the message has concluded you may hit the last button to return to your previous program.  Any complaints on messaging should be addressed to the sender (announced in the message), not to Comcast.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

emergency messages are not done/set/arranged/etc by Comcast. the authorities in your area use a PC and after authenticating place the msg in the queue. You then get the message live in real time per federal law. any show in progress (as you described) is interrupted as your are 'tuned' to a special channel to receive the message. when the message has concluded you may hit the last button to return to your previous program.  Any complaints on messaging should be addressed to the sender (announced in the message), not to Comcast.

That sounds like a copout. First, Why would someone in Vermont put the message in the queue for someone in New Hampshire to read when the message clearly states it is a message only for Vermont? There has to be more to it than that. If, as you say, it is a Federal thing, then the whole country would get the Vermont message and we would be spending the entire day reading these messages. 

Second, on the TiVo, there isn't a "Last" button. There is a "Back" button, and when the message is over, sometimes we are dumped into Live TV, other times we are dumped into the menu. The Back button gets the user only so far. It never gets us back to the recording that we were watching previously. We then have to hunt for what we were watching.

New Poster

No one out there has a solution to offer?

Contributor

Yes complain to TiVo and suggest a on/off feature. This is not Comcast's problem. How our TiVo's react to the alert is beyond ridiculous, yes I agree. 

Frequent Visitor

@Marvink9 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

That sounds like a copout. First, Why would someone in Vermont put the message in the queue for someone in New Hampshire to read when the message clearly states it is a message only for Vermont? There has to be more to it than that. If, as you say, it is a Federal thing, then the whole country would get the Vermont message and we would be spending the entire day reading these messages. 

Second, on the TiVo, there isn't a "Last" button. There is a "Back" button, and when the message is over, sometimes we are dumped into Live TV, other times we are dumped into the menu. The Back button gets the user only so far. It never gets us back to the recording that we were watching previously. We then have to hunt for what we were watching.

1. Not really a copout.  If they stop the these alerts based on area, and that system gets messed up and an area doesn't get the alerts, then Comcast would be liable for damge/deaths.

2. The Tivo issue is with Tivo, not Comcast.  You would get better responces on the offical Tivo forum.