Community Forum

Does HD cost extra?

Frequent Visitor

Does HD cost extra?

We are living in a condo complex that cover the Basic Cable service in the Tampa Bay, FL area. We have the a HDTV and the free Cisco RNG-100 STB (which only has coaxial and component video). We are connecting the STB to the TV via coaxial.

There are like 10 local HD channels available on the channel listing. But when we tune into those channel, they aren't HD at all. TV tells us that it's only SD.

My questions are:

I am seeing SD only is that because of the plan or STB? Isn't Basic Cable actually have HD channels (if not, why include in the listing)? Now, do I have to pay extra to see HD (the plan or ST? If I need to rent a HD STB, is there anywhere to buy it with a one-time fee?

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Does HD cost extra?

That box is a SD box and you are receiving only SD with your bulk plan from the association.

You should be able to upgrade to HD and other services like HSI and CDV and billed separetly for those each month.  Please first contact your Condo's Comcast bulk Rep for details, and if you can't get the information on how to upgrade, post back and it can be escalated.

HD should be about $10 a month extra, and that would cover all channels on your plan that also are sent in HD.  These are lease only and not sold outright.

You might be able to see some local network HD channels by bypassing the box and connecting the coax directly to a digital TV that tunes in clearQAM channels.  Follow the TV Mfr's directions to scan your TV's tuner.  If you can receive some HD's this way, to watch both the clearQAM HD's, and the "cable" channels in SD, you would add a splitter before the box, run one leg to the TV's tuner, the 2nd leg to the input of the Comcast digital box.  The output of the Comcast digital box would then go to one of the video inputs on the TV by using a composite yellow/red/white video cable.  Selecting the video input on the TV would receive the channels on the box, and selecting the TV's tuner would receive the HD local network channels.

Gold Problem Solver

HD is available on separate channels, and requires an extra cost HD box, which you will have to rent from Comcast.  HD is also available using the QAM tuner in your TV without a box, but that will only get unencrypted, mostly local, channels unless your TV has cable card capability.  You can buy a DVR, such as TiVo, which will accept cable card.

Frequent Visitor

JayInAlg wrote:

That box is a SD box and you are receiving only SD with your bulk plan from the association.

You should be able to upgrade to HD and other services like HSI and CDV and billed separetly for those each month.  Please first contact your Condo's Comcast bulk Rep for details, and if you can't get the information on how to upgrade, post back and it can be escalated.

HD should be about $10 a month extra, and that would cover all channels on your plan that also are sent in HD.  These are lease only and not sold outright.

You might be able to see some local network HD channels by bypassing the box and connecting the coax directly to a digital TV that tunes in clearQAM channels.  Follow the TV Mfr's directions to scan your TV's tuner.  If you can receive some HD's this way, to watch both the clearQAM HD's, and the "cable" channels in SD, you would add a splitter before the box, run one leg to the TV's tuner, the 2nd leg to the input of the Comcast digital box.  The output of the Comcast digital box would then go to one of the video inputs on the TV by using a composite yellow/red/white video cable.  Selecting the video input on the TV would receive the channels on the box, and selecting the TV's tuner would receive the HD local network channels.

Jay, you are really informative, quick, and awesome. Thanks Smiley Happy

Frequent Visitor

WarEagle57 wrote:

HD is available on separate channels, and requires an extra cost HD box, which you will have to rent from Comcast.  HD is also available using the QAM tuner in your TV without a box, but that will only get unencrypted, mostly local, channels unless your TV has cable card capability.  You can buy a DVR, such as TiVo, which will accept cable card.

My TV has a QAM tuner.

But, I am not sure what is a cable cable... Can I just buy a cable card alone without a DVR? (B/c I really don't need to record TV at this time)

Gold Problem Solver

Cable cable?

You must rent the cable card, and in order for it to work, you would need to have a device which would accept it.  Manufacturers don't seem to be producing TVs with that capability, so it's likely that you would need something like TiVo or a computer tuner with cable card capability.

Regular Visitor

I currently have Comcast TV Pone and Innernet in my home.  I'm considering upgrading to include High Def.

Are there any promotions going on , and what would be the cost.  My address is 404 Spruce Lane Crystal Lake, IL 60014

Diamond Problem Solver

Please remove your address for your protection as this is a Community Forum.

Because this is not Comcast sales no one here can give you a promotion, but if I were you, I'd go  to the Best Buy in Crystal Lake and talk to the official Comcast sales rep  that hangs out in the TV dept.  They should be there until 7pm.  They have deals that the national phone reps to not have.  Comcast has a Comcast Connection Center inside the CL Best Buy.

Look for the Comcast person in the red or black shirt back in the TV area.