Community Forum

DVR skipping large sections of program in FF and REW

New Poster

DVR skipping large sections of program in FF and REW

Several programs that have been recorded on my DVRs will skip large sections (e.g. 10 minutes) of content (both program and commercials) in both FF and REW. It can PLAY the skipped content. The same program behaves identically on all 3 of my DVRs. I called support, and they sent a tech out. The tech said that this is some arrangement with NBC (this seems to happen often on CNBC and MSNBC) to avoid skipping commercials.

First, there's clearly an error in the software or the content. I doubt they intended to skip 10 minutes of content and commercials at a time. Secondly, this is unreasonable for a channel like CNBC where there are little segments with widely variying topics. It makes viewing it untenable. Lastly, if this is true, NBC and/or Comcast has simply violated what most people think of as a DVR. I get it for OnDemand, but I'm paying to store the content locally.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: DVR skipping large sections of program in FF and REW

It seems to be a bug on some channels, especially if you are in an area that has converted to MPEG4 compression. I've had issues on some channels (noticed so far on BBC America, SyFy) where the 15-sec review doesn't always work, and just goes back to the same point of about 1 second back.

Official Employee

srkleiman wrote:

Several programs that have been recorded on my DVRs will skip large sections (e.g. 10 minutes) of content (both program and commercials) in both FF and REW. It can PLAY the skipped content. The same program behaves identically on all 3 of my DVRs. I called support, and they sent a tech out. The tech said that this is some arrangement with NBC (this seems to happen often on CNBC and MSNBC) to avoid skipping commercials.

First, there's clearly an error in the software or the content. I doubt they intended to skip 10 minutes of content and commercials at a time. Secondly, this is unreasonable for a channel like CNBC where there are little segments with widely variying topics. It makes viewing it untenable. Lastly, if this is true, NBC and/or Comcast has simply violated what most people think of as a DVR. I get it for OnDemand, but I'm paying to store the content locally.

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above.

In reviewing your account I can see some signal level issues that are out of spec that could be contributing to this experience.   

I have asked a colleague to review your account and reach out to you so that we can get any underlying issues identified and resolved.

Thanks for your patience.

Admin1

srkleiman -- There was a tech visit scheduled yesterday. Was the tech able to help correct your issues? 

New Poster

ComcastTeds,

I am having the EXACT same issue srkleman is. I have 4 DVR boxes, and on 3 of the DVR's am also seeing it on shows that I am currently watching (The 4th is behaving properly), I can rewind or ffw and it'll jump 2 min, 5 min, 10 min, all the way to the very end/beginning. We also had a tech come today and tested the lines. He mentioned that the signal was actually high (possibly a node was "upgraded"). He thought that the signal was not working to the point that it wasn't even getting recorderd, but we verified that it is being recorded, just jumped over when rewinding or fast forwarding, but thats not the case there is recorded content. 

New Poster

In my situation, our boxes are the Moto MX3400 series, and in speaking with another tech, they may have pushed a software update that is causing this issue. We are moving to X1 today.....

Silver Problem Solver

The real issue is probably due to MPEG4. The older iGuide software and/or the firmware have issues trying to stay in sync with the MPEG4 datastream. The fact that Comcast also compresses the <bleep> out of it to merge 10-11 HD's into one frequency probably doesn't help either.

New Poster

I've had this same issue.  Has anyone been able to resolve this?

New Poster

I have this same problem.  I used to have precise control over my 4 DVRs and for several months now I cannot reliably fast forward at any speed FF1/2/3/4 without it skipping forward a random number of minutes or all the way to the end of the recording.  It's just as big of a nightmare trying to rewind back to where I was.  How is it possible that technology can regress...unless Comcast is doing this on purpose to force me to watch commercials or get me to give up my Comcast DVRs in favor of X1?  I hope Comcast monitors this post and helps me...otherwise I'm so frustrated that I'm ready to cut the cord and make the move to satellite.

New Poster

It happens most often when recording and watching at the same time.  My tin foil hat tells me this was a planned bug so that everyone moves (upgrades) to the X1 system.  I'm looking to cut the cord instead.