Community Forum

DVR recordings missing!

New Poster

DVR recordings missing!

So we went to watch one of our recorded shows and everything is gone. We had to restart living room cable box this morning because it was frozen and couldn't get it off the screen saver picture but the bedroom TV was fine and that box isn't showing any shows either. Not happy at all...How do we get them back?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: DVR recordings missing!

Laplabs1 wrote:

So we went to watch one of our recorded shows and everything is gone. We had to restart living room cable box this morning because it was frozen and couldn't get it off the screen saver picture but the bedroom TV was fine and that box isn't showing any shows either. Not happy at all...How do we get them back?

Your DVR may be bad and need to be swapped out.... unfortunately you do lose all recordings when swapping out a DVR....  You can take your DVR and swap it out at any service center.  Locations are here:  http://customer.xfinity.com/service-center-locations

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing. Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with RED lettered User Names. Comcast Appointed Experts are identified with GREEN lettered User Names.

Frequent Visitor

Same problem here. What a great answer, huh?

Gold Problem Solver

very_moody wrote:

Same problem here. What a great answer, huh?

Things happen, DVR's do go bad eventually... they are after all, only mechnical.

Contributor

That's the problem with local storage.  Comcast should be using and selling cloud DVR services.  Sure, network traffic would be higher from people watching saved shows but service would be much more dependable.

Frequent Visitor

I am glad that some people at Xfinity know the answer that you lose the recordings when you swap out DVRs.

I learned the hard way when i had the local store and 800 number people said everything would stay as is.

Then i moved and said i want to bring my boxes so everything would stay as is, sure enough once i moved and the boxes were activated to the new account everything was lost.

Training is key for the employees yet, so much is lost.

Frequent Visitor

Received my new box today. All the original recordings gone (never heard of RAID3 or cloud storage I guess)... the customer service rep said all my (since Sunday) NEW recordings will be there when I switch boxes, xuz they are "in the cloud". Hhhhhmmmmm... Really I'm more worried about my scheduled programs but I guess I will find out.

I guess I will never know what happened. There's seems to be nothing wrong with the existing box. It works just fine. The actual problem was all of the recordings disappeared. My guess is that it was caused by something unrelated to the hardware most likely a software glitch... after all by default all the programs are set to "delete if space needed" so if the software falsely thought it needed more space it would start whacking things. From now on i'm going to set all my programs to never delete. Seems like a resonable safeguard. 

Strangely I had my issue addressed through Facebook messenger. They would respond every 16 hours or so... so it took a long time. No of the chat tools worked for me and I don't have enough life force remaining to get on the phone.

Contributor

As I think more on this, WHY do people have to lose recordings when swapping boxes?

On the back of my DVR box is an eSATA port, a USB port, a network port and a 2nd HDMI port.  ANY of these ports could be an output that would allow recorded programs to be copied from one box to another.

At worst, the service center should be able to do the task when a box is exchanged, if Comcast doesn't want to allow the user to do it themselves.

So WHAT are all those ports for, if not for doing tasks like this?

Frequent Visitor

I agree - doesn't stand to reason. I researched it one time and it said the external connections were for maintenance / future use. In the days of virtualization and the cloud, there's really no excuse.

Not only that.... most of the stuff is on demand anyway so it could easily be linked using simple metadata.

Problem Solver

Jojo999,

We do have the X1 Cloud DVR available depending on the area. If someone would like to have the Cloud DVR they can exchange their current DVR at their local Service Center or contact us and we can ship one out. They would need to have X1 services. If you have any further questions feel free to reach back out to us.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

Just read: http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-cloud-technology-general-faqs/

This doesn't seem like what "cloud" means, which is to keep all recordings up in the cloud and not have need for physucal hard drive in a big box sitting next to my TV.  The shows are STILL recorded on the physical box.  Your X1 cloud DVR seems a solution for people who want to watch their recorded shows on PC's or other devices.

Anyway, back to the original problem/question:

WHY does the DVR truncate or mis-record shows?  These problems have been reported since at least 2011 per my searches. 

Is the only solution to periodically replace the DVR/control box (and lose any recorded shows not viewed)?  Is there nothing I can do with my current box other than call for an exchange?

Regular Contributor

Hello Jojo999,

I am sorry for the delay in response. I recommend that we can go over some troubleshooting options in order to address your DVR issue.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

1. I turned the box off.  I also unplugged the box for 30 seconds.

What else can I do to stop this problem from reoccurring IF it happens again?

2. Also, the display of viewed channels (from the LAST button on the remote control) is slow to populate.  The speed has declined from when the box was first put in.  Is there a way to clear the remote control or box cache, which perhaps would help it speed up?

Regular Contributor

Hello Jojo999,

I have ran a diagnostic to your equipment. Please let us know if the diagnostic resolved the issue.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Visitor

I have been noticing the same problem but very random. I had 6 shows recorded this past weekend and today I only have 2 of those shows recorded. These were older recordings which I had not watched yet. This has been happening for a few weeks but it was so random I thought maybe I misread the number. Finally confirmed it though.... Not that it will do any good based on all the discussions since early 2014.  I have only had my DVR box for a year and although equipment does fail, if a year is all you get sounds like you need better equipment. If I have to pay to break a contract within 2 years why shouldn't you all pay if you can't keep consistent service for 2 years.  It appeared you all had a fix for this at one point... Is the only solution to change the box out?

Regular Contributor

Hello aco2001,

I apologize for the delay response. I can provide some troubleshooting steps to determine what is causing the DVR recording issue. May I ask if you experiencing the issue on all the cable boxes or just one cable box? 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

ComcastKimberly wrote:

Hello Jojo999,

I have ran a diagnostic to your equipment. Please let us know if the diagnostic resolved the issue.

Apparently did not.  Monday night I had Jeopardy (7:00pm to 7:30pm) and DWTS (8:00pm to 10:01pm) scheduled to record.

When I sat down at 8:35pm to watch the recordings, DWTS was in progress and by skipping past the commercials and some of the fluff, I can complete the show by 10:00pm, when I watch the PBS Newshour.

So I went into the recordings menu, where I saw DWTS in progress and Jeopardy below as a separate entry and had completed recording.

I selected to watch DWTS but was surprised when Jeopardy started playing.

So I kept watching Jeopardy and at the end of the show, Wheel of Fortune got recorded (which is not on my schedule!) and then DWTS started.  Also, the timeline at the bottom said total recording was 2h 1m, which would have been right had DWTS ONLY been recorded but with Jeopardy and WoF added, the total time should have been 3h 1m.

So looks like this box is problematic and undependable.

My question is why?  I am assuming that something in the box software causes these problems.  Or does the box hardware somehow go bad such that switching out the box fixes the problem?  

If the problem is in software, then you should be able to reload the software, clear the cache(s),delete temp files or whatever, w/o having to swap out the hardware.

OTOH, if the problem is hardware, then what is the average lifespan of these boxes?  4 months?  Whew. 

Regular Contributor

Hello Jojo9999,

I definitely understand your frustration. I recommend that scheduling a technician to check your equipment issue. I realize this may be inconvenient, but it is very important that your issues get resolved to your satisfaction. If you are interested in scheduling and appointment, please let us know.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Official Employee
Moved:

New Poster

comcast exfinity dvr has become a nightmare,  programs disappear, recordings get cut short,  very stressful system,  sorry I changed,  they keep making nothing but excuses,  they evidently got snickered by their own technology