Community Forum

DVR does not respond to remote control

Regular Visitor

DVR does not respond to remote control

my dvr does not respond to my remorte . other devices do.

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: DVR does not respond to remote control

Start by power cycling the cable box.  Unplug for 2 mintues, power it up agan and test it.

New Poster

Any alternatives? I just programmed the TV with the remote. Now, the Dvr isn't responding to it?
Contributor

Hmm. If it is a 3rd party remote, then you should probably check a forum specific to that manufacturer.

However I'll assume you mean the 3 function DVR Comcast remote.  If so, then here are some possibilities: 

The Comcast remote may have been issued to you without the correct code for your DVR, or the code may have been accidentally unlocked or changed.  To make sure your Comcast remote is programmed for your cable box, first you need to unlock the cable function, which is normally locked and unable to be changed.  Press "cable" then press and hold setup until the cable light blinks, then press "982" and cable light blinks again.  Now it is unlocked and you can program the remote for the brand cable box you have.  Press "cable" then press and hold setup untill cable light blinks, then press the code number for your brand cable box, the cable light should blink again. The list of brands and codes is listed in the foldout paper issued with the remote.  In my area all the boxes respond to the Motorola code including the pace boxes but not DTA's.  The Motorola code is 01376.  After programming the remote for your cable box you can lock it back again by repeating the 982 process to avoid accidentally changing it later.  

Another possibility is that you have a nice plasma TV.  The nicer plasma TV's especially Panasonic and Samsung display more colors that your eye can see including infra red.  The Infra red can block the signal from the Comcast remote.  Test for this by turning off the TV and see if the DVR suddenly responds to the remote.  The fix is easy.  The TV's have built in choices for picture brightness and contrast and the one that is the worst is the dull looking "Standard". Virtually any other choice for brightness/contrast will not interfere with the comcast remote. THIS ONLY APPLIES TO PLASMA TV'S. 

However the more common causes for your problem could include: defective remote or defective DVR or possibly a weak or poor quality incoming signal on the cable line to your DVR.  The DVR can lock up or become unresponsive when it is trying to lock onto poor quality cable signal.  If this was the case you would have already noticed some sort of reception problem.

New Poster

Thank you! I had to exchange a no longer-functioning Scientific Atlanta DVR box today. The exchange included a new remote, however it wouldn't respond to any DVR/Cable commands. After going through all the possible codes with a Comcast rep for over ten minutes, power cycling the box, removing and reinserting the batteries, the rep was at a lost and told me I'd have to return it for a new one. Since today is Sat. and the Comcast local office is not open on Sun or Labor Day, I was pretty frustrated. Then I found your solution and wha-la, it worked! I tried the "unlock with code 982" trick and that was the solution, Thanks again!!!!

New Poster

Thank you so much this reply, It worked! I was on with tech support for an hour and they could not help me.  They told me to take the unit back.  I'm glad I pay 150.00 dollars a month for zero information from there tech support.  Good luck all!

New Poster

Thank you so very much. When I replaced my Comcast Remote today, it came with a huge list of codes, but, none that covered my Motorola DVR. You listed the code 01376. I was totally shocked to see the new remote actually work with this code. Motorola was not listed in the code list on any piece of equipment. I canceled the appt I had for a person from Comcasst to come out and program it. God Bless and have a Very Merry Christmas.

New Poster

This saved me, too. Why the phone rep would not have known this particular trick is beyond me. Then again, coming from an IT shop where training is minimal at best, I can imagine the reps being just as frustrated as we are when they can't help. Thank god for the internets!

New Poster

I too have been Comcast-ified.

New Poster

Worked for me too!  I didn't even try calling Comcast.  I knew that would be a frustrating waste of time.  Thank you.

New Poster

Oh my gosh, I messed with my remote for two hours last night, again this morning, called comcast had a two hour wait to have someone call me back so researched and found your directions and it worked !!!!! Thank you so much !!!
Frequent Visitor

what is the code for platinum remote that works for x1 dvr box ?

New Poster

THANKS SO MUCH for the great instructions.   It fixed my problem perfectly.   AND made me feel very good about my own skills!     Have a great day!

New Poster

I was chatting online with the comcast rep. He gave me all of these other codes to try. As he was listing them, something told me to follow his instructions but use  01376 instead. My dvr went off immedialtely! I am soo grateful. I was extremly frustrated. 

I do want to update the infp a little bit based on the instructions that rep gave me. 

This works for the Silver with Gray OK-Select Button remote. 

The first steps will unlock the remote control.

1. Press the Cable button

2. Hold the Setup button until the selected mode button blinks two times; then, release Setup.

3. Enter 982. The indicator light will blink four times. (if it only blinks twice repeat the step until it blinks four times) 

4Hold the Setup button until the selected mode button blinks two times; then, release Setup.

5. Enter 01376

5. Press the power button

Your DVR should shut off

6. Hold the Setup button until the selected mode button blinks two times; then, release Setup.

Hope this helps everyone Smiley Happy 

New Poster

I. Love you. Thanks so much!
Expert
Moved:

This is a placeholder for a post that was moved to a secure location because it violates the forum guidelines (language filter circumvention). http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Forum-Guidelines/Posting-Guidelines/td-p/866289