Community Forum

DVR FF skips to end, often erratic speed

Contributor

DVR FF skips to end, often erratic speed

When using the FF (three arrows) to move through portions of recorded shows, my Motorola DVR often jumps to the end of the show, and/or moves at erratic speed forward. As an example, I press FF at 2:00 on a recorded show. After 5 seconds, FF is at 3:00 in the recording. After 7 seconds, FF is now at 10:00 in the recording. (This is just an example, as the speed is erratic.) Often, when I press FF within 5 to 7 minutes of its end, I am brought to the end of the recording, with the 'do you want to delete?' message window presented.

 

I've seen this frequently, as in daily, over the last 6 months on shows recorded from numerous channels. I've finally gotten fed up to the point of wanting a solution, hence my post.

 

FWIW: Unplugging (rebooting) the DVR does not correct the problem; all it does is reset all the show listing, which then take a week or so to repopulate the guide.

 

Anyone have some ideas/suggestions? Do I have a defective DVR, a defective remote, or something else? Comcast representatives can you help?

 

Thanks,

   Bob

Silver Problem Solver

Re: DVR FF skips to end, often erratic speed

My guess this is on HD recordings? Comcast has converted most HD channels, even some local broadcast, to MPEG4 compression. The non-X1 boxes tend to have issues, especially with FF and REW, and the related 30-sec skip and 15-sec review.

Contributor

Re: DVR FF skips to end, often erratic speed

Yes, all my recordings are HD. Is there a fix for this problem (other than opting for an X1 box)?

Highlighted
Expert

Re: DVR FF skips to end, often erratic speed

I would like to add that shows that list the warning that FF and other functions may not work is something to pay attention to. This case it does not mean nothing will happen if you try.

 

And if you are like me you have tried sometimes. What can and does happen is that if you happen to FF either during a commercial, or accidentally FF through the start of another commercial, the commercial will play but you are only FF through the program itself. You will not see the program fast forwarding in this case.

Contributor

Re: DVR FF skips to end, often erratic speed

You mentioned "...shows that list the warning that FF and other functions may not work is something to pay attention to..." Do I understand that there is some warning somewhere about FF and HD shows, because I've never seen it, if so. Just trying to understand.

Expert

Re: DVR FF skips to end, often erratic speed

The warning normally shows up right at start of the video.

 

Maybe your DVR does not always show the warning, but what I just described could be happening.

Contributor

Re: DVR FF skips to end, often erratic speed


@MNtundraRET wrote:

The warning normally shows up right at start of the video.



Thanks. I've never seen a warning like that, but it's good to know that it exists.

Contributor

Re: DVR FF skips to end, often erratic speed

So, with the lack of responses to a fix, I take it that the FF DVR issue is not resolvable; true?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: DVR FF skips to end, often erratic speed

The FF warning is for OnDemand video. Regular recordings have no restrictions.

Contributor

Re: DVR FF skips to end, often erratic speed


@andyross wrote:

The FF warning is for OnDemand video. Regular recordings have no restrictions.


Good to know, thanks.

Contributor

Re: DVR FF skips to end, often erratic speed

A funny thing about the FF bug: it doesn't seem to occur in reverse (fast backwards). Has anyone else noticed this?

Expert

Re: DVR FF skips to end, often erratic speed


@agentLXXXVI wrote:

A funny thing about the FF bug: it doesn't seem to occur in reverse (fast backwards). Has anyone else noticed this?


I would say that no one cares if you fast backwards through a video. You get to see the commercials again. 

Contributor

Re: DVR FF skips to end, often erratic speed

So how about someone from Comcast chiming in here about the situation with the erratic FF and Rewind BUG? Assuming all the conjecture is correct, switching to MPEG-4 has completely fouled up the ability to use the DVR (which we pay extra for!) as one should be able to. I'm so fed up with simply trying to advance 30 to 90 seconds (FF) and end up with a 15 minute advance. If the goal is to insure that we watch the commercials, rather than skipping them, it appears to be working. Oh, and the last thing I'll do is move to X1.

Contributor

Re: DVR FF skips to end, often erratic speed


@plummerl wrote:

So how about someone from Comcast chiming in here about the situation with the erratic FF and Rewind BUG? Assuming all the conjecture is correct, switching to MPEG-4 has completely fouled up the ability to use the DVR (which we pay extra for!) as one should be able to. I'm so fed up with simply trying to advance 30 to 90 seconds (FF) and end up with a 15 minute advance. If the goal is to insure that we watch the commercials, rather than skipping them, it appears to be working. Oh, and the last thing I'll do is move to X1.


Totally in agreement! As far as I'm concerned, Comcast has sold me a _defective_ piece of equipment and/or defective service, i.e., a malfunctioning digital video recorder that fails to fast forward. That they knowingly implemented MPEG4 broadcast that were incompatible with the functioning of the Motorola DVR boxes is inexcusable (and probably criminal). Either the DVR model or the service is faulty and that is contrary to my contract with the company. Replace the DVR with one that functions or implement changes to permit MPEG4 broadcast to function properly on the existing Motorola DVRs.

 

How about it Comcast? What is the company's reply?

 

(Ditto about switching to X1: not a chance in heaven.)

Frequent Visitor

Re: DVR FF skips to end, often erratic speed


@andyross wrote:

My guess this is on HD recordings? Comcast has converted most HD channels, even some local broadcast, to MPEG4 compression. The non-X1 boxes tend to have issues, especially with FF and REW, and the related 30-sec skip and 15-sec review.


The strange thing with mine is that I do NOT have a problem with fast forward and rewind for recordings off of the CBS HD and NBC HD channels.  However, for my recordings off of the AMC HD and TCM HD channels I DO get the erratic speeds on forward and reverse.  I have the Motorola DCX-3400-M.


 




 

Frequent Visitor

Re: DVR FF skips to end, often erratic speed


@agentLXXXVI wrote:

A funny thing about the FF bug: it doesn't seem to occur in reverse (fast backwards). Has anyone else noticed this?


The issue occurs in reverse for me.

Contributor

Re: DVR FF skips to end, often erratic speed


@VanCleef1 wrote:

@andyross wrote:

My guess this is on HD recordings? Comcast has converted most HD channels, even some local broadcast, to MPEG4 compression. The non-X1 boxes tend to have issues, especially with FF and REW, and the related 30-sec skip and 15-sec review.


The strange thing with mine is that I do NOT have a problem with fast forward and rewind for recordings off of the CBS HD and NBC HD channels.  However, for my recordings off of the AMC HD and TCM HD channels I DO get the erratic speeds on forward and reverse.  I have the Motorola DCX-3400-M.


 




 


From my experience and comments by others, our broadcast networks (CBS, NBC, etc.) are not yet converted to MPEG4, hence FF & REW work as expected. It's only the streamed channels that are showing the issue.

Frequent Visitor

Re: DVR FF skips to end, often erratic speed






@andyross wrote:

My guess this is on HD recordings? Comcast has converted most HD channels, even some local broadcast, to MPEG4 compression. The non-X1 boxes tend to have issues, especially with FF and REW, and the related 30-sec skip and 15-sec review.


@VanCleef1 wrote:

The strange thing with mine is that I do NOT have a problem with fast forward and rewind for recordings off of the CBS HD and NBC HD channels.  However, for my recordings off of the AMC HD and TCM HD channels I DO get the erratic speeds on forward and reverse.  I have the Motorola DCX-3400-M.



@plummerl wrote:


From my experience and comments by others, our broadcast networks (CBS, NBC, etc.) are not yet converted to MPEG4, hence FF & REW work as expected. It's only the streamed channels that are showing the issue.

 

Well hopefully Comcast is getting the message and working on a fix.  I'm not switching to X1 either.  I will just eliminate the DVR and learn to live without it.


 

Contributor

Re: DVR FF skips to end, often erratic speed

As far as I can tell, the Motorola DCX3400 is still on the supported equipment list. This would imply that they owe us a solution to the FF & REW issue!

Silver Problem Solver

Re: DVR FF skips to end, often erratic speed


@plummerl wrote:

@VanCleef1 wrote:

@andyross wrote:

My guess this is on HD recordings? Comcast has converted most HD channels, even some local broadcast, to MPEG4 compression. The non-X1 boxes tend to have issues, especially with FF and REW, and the related 30-sec skip and 15-sec review.


The strange thing with mine is that I do NOT have a problem with fast forward and rewind for recordings off of the CBS HD and NBC HD channels.  However, for my recordings off of the AMC HD and TCM HD channels I DO get the erratic speeds on forward and reverse.  I have the Motorola DCX-3400-M.


 




 


From my experience and comments by others, our broadcast networks (CBS, NBC, etc.) are not yet converted to MPEG4, hence FF & REW work as expected. It's only the streamed channels that are showing the issue.


Here in the Chicago area, WBBM (CBS) and WFLD(Fox) are still MPEG2. I think most all the other HD's are now MPEG4.