Community Forum

DRM content (HBO) displays black screen in WMC 8.1 using HDHomeRun Prime

New Poster

DRM content (HBO) displays black screen in WMC 8.1 using HDHomeRun Prime

I too am having difficulty playing DRM protected content. I use Windows Media Center on Windows 8.1 with a HDHOMERUN Prime device and cable card. When I tune to any standard definition HBO channels (301-310) on WMC the audio is ok but the screen is black.  Occasionally the HBO HD channel (300) will not even provide audio.  Oddly, if I first tune to my local NBC station (810) and then tune to the standard definition HBO channels the screen displays correctly but this doesn't work for the HD channel.  This is always a problem when using the DVR function with these channels as it will only record audio with a black screen.

I have reinstalled WMC as well as reinstalled PlayReady, but, have been unable to resolve the issue.  Any suggestions or assistance is appreciated.

New Poster

Re: DRM content (HBO) displays black screen in WMC 8.1 using HDHomeRun Prime

I have the same issue. I think it's a time out issue with windows.

I've found if I restart the computer I have full video and audio. But if I keep the computer on and say, come back in the morning the screen is black again with only audio playing. I've tried closing and restarting WMC but no luck. My guess its a Windows Media service running in the background, so even when closing WMC it continues running. So a full restart fixes it. Annoying but it's my work around. Until we can find a solution.
New Poster

Re: DRM content (HBO) displays black screen in WMC 8.1 using HDHomeRun Prime

Most likely the computers you are using, have Intel Graphics Display Adapters. It's an issue with these on board devices that won't be resolved.

The only workaround for this is to add/replace a video card with one from a different manufacturer.