Community Forum

Cost of a CableCARD

Contributor

Cost of a CableCARD

Hi Everyone -

I am just wondering what the actual price of a cable card should be?  I recently purchased a TIVO, and am in the process of changing from X1 to Tivo.  The X1 experiance was not that great (DVR Locks, Cuts the end of Programs, and Ends programs during Fast Forward)

I did some reserach before and even did the online chat.  The online Chat told me the cost varies and could be as much as $4.99, but as I was talking with them I found this on the Comcast Website in the About CableCARDs section:

How much will I be charged to use a CableCARD?
The first CableCARD in a retail device (e.g., TiVo devices or CableCARD-equipped televisions) is provided at no additional charge to Comcast customers. If a second CableCARD is needed for the same device (e.g., TiVo Series 3 boxes), there is a nominal fee for the additional card. Check your local market pricing for this information. Again, this only applies to a second CableCARD in the same device.

I asked the person in the chat about this, and he confirmed that if it was a single card for one device (such as my Tivo) then there would be no additonal cost for the card.

I went to my local Comcast store today to pick it up, and when she added the card to my account, she mentioned that there was a $1.50 charge per month for the card.  I received a confirmation email when I got home stating the same.

So I ask, what is the actual cost supposed to be?  Why would I be charged $1.50, and online it says it would be free?  Am I just misreading this (Not sure how I could be)?.  Here is the URL:

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/about-cablecards/

Anyones feedback would be great.

Thanks

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Cost of a CableCARD

the 1.50 page is old information, no longer valid.  If you have one box on your account, the cable card would replace that primary outlet's cable box for the same included package price and you would get 2.50 credit each month for bringing you own device.

If you have multiple Comcast boxes, the cable card would be the same 9.95 a month fee as a leased Comcast box, but you would still get that 2.50 credit every month.  In other words, the cable card is equivelent & same price as a full Comcast box either the primary or additional outlet, but then get the 2.50 credit.

If you add the Tivo Mini's there is no additional charge as you would still only need that one cable card for the 6 tuners in the Tivo.

Official Employee

Hillcows wrote:

Hi Everyone -

I am just wondering what the actual price of a cable card should be?  I recently purchased a TIVO, and am in the process of changing from X1 to Tivo.  The X1 experiance was not that great (DVR Locks, Cuts the end of Programs, and Ends programs during Fast Forward)

I did some reserach before and even did the online chat.  The online Chat told me the cost varies and could be as much as $4.99, but as I was talking with them I found this on the Comcast Website in the About CableCARDs section:

How much will I be charged to use a CableCARD?
The first CableCARD in a retail device (e.g., TiVo devices or CableCARD-equipped televisions) is provided at no additional charge to Comcast customers. If a second CableCARD is needed for the same device (e.g., TiVo Series 3 boxes), there is a nominal fee for the additional card. Check your local market pricing for this information. Again, this only applies to a second CableCARD in the same device.

I asked the person in the chat about this, and he confirmed that if it was a single card for one device (such as my Tivo) then there would be no additonal cost for the card.

I went to my local Comcast store today to pick it up, and when she added the card to my account, she mentioned that there was a $1.50 charge per month for the card.  I received a confirmation email when I got home stating the same.

So I ask, what is the actual cost supposed to be?  Why would I be charged $1.50, and online it says it would be free?  Am I just misreading this (Not sure how I could be)?.  Here is the URL:

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/about-cablecards/

Anyones feedback would be great.

Thanks

Apologies for the confusion we may have caused.

Comcast’s national CableCARD pricing policy is as follows:

The first CableCARD in a retail device (e.g., TiVo devices or CableCARD equipped televisions) is free to Comcast customers. If a second CableCARD is needed for the same device (i.e., TiVo Series 3 boxes), the cost is no more than $1.50 per month for the additional card. 

In January 1, 2012 Comcast began providing a credit to customers who have a CableCARD installed in a customer owned device (e.g., TiVo or CableCARD equipped television) if the customer subscribes to a Comcast video service which includes equipment as a part of the service. 

For customers who subscribe to a video service level above Limited Basic and have additional televisions connected to Comcast video service there will be an additional monthly service charge for additional television outlets regardless of whether the customer leases equipment from Comcast or provides his own retail devices. The monthly $9.95 charge is an additional outlet fee that all Comcast Cable customers are charged regardless of whether they lease equipment or provide their own retail devices. 

Tags (1)
Diamond Problem Solver
Moved:

Official Employee

Hillcows,

I apologize for the delayed response. I have sent you a private message to further assist you.  You can click on my name (Comcastcares) and click on "Private Message Me”. 

At the top of each Forum page you will see a small envelope.  This is the icon for Private Messages, referred to as ‘PM’s’.   A Private Message is a way to communicate in private, to another User, Moderator, or Administrator out of public view in the Forums.

The envelope icon will have a number next to it if you have any new messages waiting.  

To open a PM, double click on the envelope. If you click on the envelope a window will open with tabs for your Private Message Inbox, Sent Messages, Friends, Ignored Users, and Compose new Message. You can also access this area by clicking on the Username in a Thread or post. By default, Private Messages are enabled. You can disable this feature in My Settings>Preferences> Private Messenger.