Community Forum

Converter boxes not working.

Frequent Visitor

Converter boxes not working.

I can't get the TVs with the converter boxes on them to work.  They both have the little message "We've detected an interruption in your service."  The TV here in my room with the actual big cable box that I can get On Demand and all that on is working fine, but the two small converter boxes are doing nothing.  What do I need to do to get the converters working again?  I just want to be able to have the TV on while I make dinner.

*quick edit*

I've had the new boxes on my TV for only a month or so.  Whenever it was that we were forced to get them because of the switch.  I've had no problems with them before, so I don't know why they suddenly don't want to work now.

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Converter boxes not working.

Do any of the channels come in in the DTA's?  Or have you only lost part of them?

Frequent Visitor

If DTA means the small boxes, I can't get any channels at all.  When I try to change the channel it just shows me the message about service interuppted.  If I don't touch anything for awhile the message goes away, and as soon as I try to change the channel it will come back again.

Diamond Problem Solver

On the small remote for the box, press and hold "INFO" until the diag menu comes up.

Use channel down to scroll to DTA status and press enter.  The DTA status page should come up.  The first line should show "activated" if the DTA's are activated or not.

If the DTA's are activated, then more than likely you are having signal issues to your boxes.  Thisi s common as the digital channels on the new boxes are carried higher than the old analog channels, and higher frequencies cause higher loss of the RF levels to the outlets.

If you are not handy with working on coaxial cabling, then best bet is to call Comcast for a tech visit to troubleshoot and correct the signal levels to the boxes.

Please post back with more questions.

Below is a sample page that should show that the DTA is actived properly.

PC170317.jpg

Frequent Visitor

Both TVs say activated, but they also both say Awaiting Initialization.  The green light on the box downstairs is blinking, but the one in the other bedroom is steady, if that means anything important.

Silver Problem Solver

Try this link http://www.comcast.com/default.cspx

Enter in your account number, or special ID number if you got a notice from Comcast about picking up those boxes. There is a spot where it should show all the converter boxes on your account. Check the boxes by the two DTAs and there should be a spot to send activation signal. Make sure both DTAs are on. It may take a few hours or just a few seconds.

Good luck

Frequent Visitor

Where do I put in the number?  That just seems to take me to the Comcast main page, and I can't seem to find where boxes are listed trying to dig around on my own.

Diamond Problem Solver

The correct link is

http://digitalnow.comcast.com/

Frequent Visitor

Thank you!  Telling it to send the activation signal worked.  Both TVs seem to be working fine again.  ^_^  I'll have to keep that link handy incase the stupid things go out on me again later.

New Poster

Thank you so much for this post. It resolved my problem as well. Smiley Happy