Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Comcast DVR remote won't "select" an input from the list

Frequent Visitor

Comcast DVR remote won't "select" an input from the list

I've programmed the Comcast DVR remote correctly to operate with the particular TV. But there's one lingering problem.

After I put the remote in "TV" mode, I hit the "input" button on the remote, the TV's input choices appear on screen--so far so good; I can scroll up/down the list just fine, and settle on a chosen input;  but none of the buttons on the remote will actually work to "Select" a different input. The two most logical selections would be the red "OK/Select" button and the "enter/HD zoom" button on the opposite side of the 0 from the input selector. Neither works.

Any suggestions? This is the last remaining function that requires me to use the remote that came with the TV. I'd like to just hide that dusty thing in a drawer.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Comcast DVR remote won't "select" an input from the list

I know on all three of my tv's when i press the input button the menu comes up and I scroll to the input I want and then then tv just selects it itself after a minute.  Have you tried just moving to the input you want and just staying there hitting nothing?

Frequent Visitor

Hmmmm. That's an interesting suggestion which I have not tried.  I'm about 99% sure that the original TV-remote requires both moving the cursor to the new input AND hitting "enter" (or its equivalent).  But I have not tried your suggestion with the Comcast remote, so I will give it a shot later.

In case it doesn't work, I'm still open to other ideas.

Frequent Visitor

Didn't work. But thanks for the suggestion.

I even tried re-programming the small 'enter' button on the other side of the 0 with the code for "OK/Select" but no dice.

Silver Problem Solver

I tried that on all my tv's last night and it worked on all of them.  So when you do it with the remote from your tv, what is the series you have to press to make this happen?

Frequent Visitor

On the TV's remote:

---A button marked  "input" brings up the list of possible inputs with a check mark next to the one currently in use; the one in current use is also highlighted;

---the arrow keys which surround an "OK" button move the highlight up or down the list to another input;  (the Comcast remote is fine with these first two steps).

---then I press the "OK" button in the center to activate that input.

The TV is a roughly 3.5 yr old  Polaroid 3211-TLXB which has given me no trouble (which, in hindsight, appears to make me one of the lucky ones....)

As I said at the outset, this is more of an annoyance than anything else;  I appreciate your help.

New Poster

I'm having the same exact problem.  Can get the tv to show me the different inputs but can't actually select it.  I've noticed the flashing red 'cable' button when I hit 'select', wonder if that has anything to do with it.  Anyone figure this out?

Silver Problem Solver

To select the inputs on your tv you need to use the TV remote or put the universal remote into TV mode by pushing the TV button on top.

The flashing red "cable" light means that the remote is controling the Cable box.

Silver Problem Solver

it maybe a function of your tv.  When I arrow down to the input I want after two seconds my tv automatically selects it, I don't press anything to have it accpet it, like enter.

Frequent Visitor

At least with mine, the remote *is* in TV mode already; that's how I'm able to pull up the list of inputs in the first place.  But neither the red OK/Select button nor the little black enter (HDzoom) button on the opposite side of the 0 from the input (tv/vcr) button will select the input I highlighted with the up/down arrows.

I guess I'm glad I'm not the only one with this odd issue.

Silver Problem Solver

With your  remote in TV mode try selecting the tv input and then just back out of that screen. Use the last button on the Comcast remote. I tried the same with my Comcast remote and the OK button does not work with the TV menu.

But once the input is selected and I backed out of the menu screens the selected input was active.

Personally I just keep my tv remote handy for changing tv inputs because I just have to use a button on that remote to go between all inputs that are connected to something. The Comcast universal remotes are a bit limited in functions for other devices in my opinion.

New Poster

I was looking for that same issue too - able to show the Source or Input menu on TV and move up and down to highlight items but not select any. The issue is that OK/Select works for the Cable box and not the TV but that can be changed. Here are the steps from the manual that worked for me (now OK/Select works for the TV):

De-Activating Channel Control Lock
1. On the remote control, press Cable
once.Then press and hold Setup
until the Cable key blinks twice,
then release Setup.
2. Enter 9 - 7 - 3. Press CH- once.The
Cable key will blink four times.
3. Now, the remote control will
provide TV or cable channel
control capabilities while in the
TV or Cable mode.

Frequent Visitor

aspy wrote:

I was looking for that same issue too - able to show the Source or Input menu on TV and move up and down to highlight items but not select any. The issue is that OK/Select works for the Cable box and not the TV but that can be changed. Here are the steps from the manual that worked for me (now OK/Select works for the TV):

De-Activating Channel Control Lock
1. On the remote control, press Cable
once.Then press and hold Setup
until the Cable key blinks twice,
then release Setup.
2. Enter 9 - 7 - 3. Press CH- once.The
Cable key will blink four times.
3. Now, the remote control will
provide TV or cable channel
control capabilities while in the
TV or Cable mode.

Just wanted to say I had the same problem as the OP and aspy's solution worked perfectly.  Thank you aspy excellent help!

Frequent Visitor

Glad I came back to check. I will do this. Thanks.

New Poster

OMG!  Thank you!!!  That's what i've been looking for

New Poster

Hi, I tried this and it "works" but not in the way it's supposed to. Whenever I press the red "OK/Select" button, the menu comes up, instead of the remote pressing "OK" like it's supposed to. Does anyone know why this would happen?

I have a Panasonic P50S30 Plasma TV with code 10250. Is there a way that I can change the code that I use for my TV? I just want to be able to use the OK/Select button correctly.

Thanks

New Poster

PERFECT Exactly What I was looking for after about a hour of trying to figure this out !!!! Thank You For Sharing !!!

Tags (1)
New Poster

Aspy, you rule! Thank you so much for this trick!

New Poster

THANK YOU Aspy!!! I was having this same problem and my child ruined my tv remote (and a cup of coffee lol) and your response fixed it. I now have DVD capabilities again. I'm greatful to you.

New Poster

New Comcast user and had the same problem.  This worked like a champ!  THANKS!!

New Poster

ASPY RULES!!   Works perfectly on my ELEMENT ELEFW402!!! Been searching for a workaround for quite some time!!!!!

Regular Visitor

Thanks Aspy!! Worked for me.

New Poster

This helped me get my dvd player to be able to use the OK/select button on the remote, Thanks ASPY!!!!!

New Poster

Recently bought a used TiVo Premiere that didn't come with remote. I programmed the remote using the TiVo as the Aux device but ran into the same problem. Most of the remote buttons worked on the TiVo but I could never select anything on the menu which was making the TiVo setup impossible. Turning channel lock off as described above did the trick!!!

New Poster

I had the same "secondary" issue as  after making initial changes...OK button was "free" to work on TV but only turned on / off the TV menu as opposed to "select" item from TV menu...I changed the TV code that was entered in the remote and issue resolved...used code 10650 for PANASONIC TC-P58S2.

Thnx for initial solution!

Contributor

I bought a new Seiki LCD last evening and was having the very same issue with the OK button not allowing to select the Input.

I read and followed aspy's detailed list and was not having success.  The one detail that is missing...in my case, anyway...is that when you press the CH selector it MUST be the "-" and not the "+" part.  Once I pressed the "minus" part of the lever, it worked.

New Poster

i tried that with my westinghouse CW40T2RW and it worked to the point that i could use the enter button and navigat tv menus, but when i try to select input, nothing happens

New Poster

In my case the play triangle works for enter it doesn't select everything on my smart dvr once I'm in its menu. I'm still working on that part
New Poster

i just have the HD cable box, not the whole DVR setup. i havent tried it yet, but ill get back to you when i do

New Poster

I was skeptical of this solution but I tried it and voila!  It worked!  Thank you very much!

New Poster

I also couldn't use the Comcast remote to program my television through the menu -- the red OK/Select button triggered the guide function on the cable box rather than the enter function on the TV.  The other suggestions above didn't work for me, so I tried a more technical solution using the programming codes of the remote.  

I used the instructions at the following two websites, looking up the codes for my specific TV using the second website.  http://www.avsforum.com/t/1215270/how-to-program-enter-button-on-comcast-motorola-dvr-remote and http://hifi-remote.com/jp1/lookup/.

Hope this helps!