Community Forum

Cisco DVR box

New Poster

Cisco DVR box

We keep getting "APdL" and "bStr" code on the Cisco DVR box.  They are only there for a few seconds then the box shuts off, clock disappears, snowy screen and then the box display goes black.  The power button on the remote and the box won't turn it on.  We have to unplug the box, let it sit, then try again.  When we do get it working again it shuts off after a few minutes with the same codes.  After the 3rd or 4th time it finally works normally.  Any idea what these codes mean?  This happens about twice a week.

New Poster

Re: Cisco DVR box

I'm having the same problem! Help!
Diamond Problem Solver

Sounds like the downloading of the updates is failing.  If it never completes, then please either take the box and remote to the local Comcast office for a swap, or call support and a tech can bring out a new box for you.

Contributor

We had this problem in April and traded our Cisco RNG200 HD DVR box for another one, and now it is one month later and we have the problem again, except it is Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend so we are without cable for the rest of the long weekend. The trouble started when the new Xfinity guide was installed. Up to that point, we were pretty happy with Comcast because it was very reliable for a very long time, but now it is very unreliable and this whole matter is just very depressing.

We don't unplug our computers when they fail; in fact, we probably would be discouraged from doing so, yet Comcast tells us to unplug these cable boxes to fix them.  It just doesn't seem right.  Why don't the manufacturers put a reset button on the front of the box, the way they used to?

I guess I'll try unplugging my box a few more times. Maybe it will come back, but probably not.

Valued Contributor

edit

New Poster

Hello everyone; I have the solution for you. When it cycles back and comes on you need to turn off the power.  Then you need to hold down "Menu" and "info"; this will reset yoru HD settings.  Turn the power on and follow the steps of the wizard.  Enjoy. Smiley Happy  While you're at it give glory to God for showing me.

New Poster

I am in the same "bstr" - "APdL" loop.  Unfortunately, your solution did not work for me.  I've been on hold now for over 30 minutes...

New Poster

SAME HERE! And I was on with livechat, grrrrr. Told me to do the unplug replug (which I've done SO many times on my own), and eventually just said "well, it just needs time, thank you I will close out now", I said "what next???" and he replied "it just needs time." Unreal, I waited about 15 minutes for a rep, did the live chat thing for over 20 minutes, just to have them say basically "tough s***".

Silver Problem Solver

apdl is the download of the new software for the guide.  You need to let that complete and then when its done I would unplug the box and then plug it back in and let it reset. 

Valued Contributor

edit

Frequent Visitor

This is the first time I've had this particular problem but it came with an odd side effect...theTV was totally dead. i cannot revive it, and although I can't imagine it, it makes me wonder if somehow the DVR did something weird to the TV. Anyway, I have three DVRs and the other two are fine, but this one DVR started just shutting off and rebooting. I talked with a customer service rep who clearly had no idea what APdl meant (at least here I could get an answer to that) and just set me up with an appointment on Tuesday if it didn't clear up.

I've done the unplugging/plugging in thing. I'm still trying to figure out the dead TV issue as well and why both of these things happened on the SAME DAY. One strange coincidence if you ask me. If that TV weren't 22 years old (yes, I've had it since college!), I'd be far angrier, but it's been a great TV with no problems whatsoever, and today, dead with a DVR that keeps rebooting. Suspicious. I've got a different TV hooked up to it right now but so far the DVR is still in the same cycle...clock, off, boot, nothing, clock.

Oh, I also noticed that at one point when I turned it on, it turned on to channel 0, which I just noted and found interesting. And it wouldn't let me turn any channels. But maybe that's related to some program guide being downloaded.

This DVR was replaced a few months ago after one DVR had a coronary and TWO replacements were defective! What is wrong with this picture.

The DVR is a Scientific Atlanta. The first one with the coronary was also an SA, but the two replacements were Cisco, and the tech who came to the house said that Cisco had sent out a whole bunch of defective boxes. Ah, that's comforting, huh?

New Poster

My box is doing the same thing tonight. Of course I called and they were no help. I've had so many issues with Comcast over the past four months, so fed up with them.

New Poster

It worked for me. The box just kept rebooting over and over. Unplugged it and got the ADPL. Held the two buttons down and then hit the power. Everything came back up.

New Poster

Thanks Be To GOD!!! also Thank you For Sharing Info that also Applies to Motorola RNG200n, Applied your Instructions to it and 1st Time Reset with being unpluged from power and cable for 20-30 minuets, Pluged in power and then held Menu and INFO for a few secs. and it Reset to correct funtions, then pluged in coax to receive refresh sent from xfinity and also comcast, within 2 minuets Works Perfectly. I'VE been with comcast since before VIACOM and PrimeStar and never had one this unique, but everything wasn't made in China then either,

Now for First Time I've got ON DEMAND with all Functions and menus. after spending hours on Phones and online at site for trouble shooting and numerous refresh signals sent from comcast and xfinity.

Smiley Wink

JESUS SAVES!!!

Where There's A WILL, There's A Way,

JESUS SAVES

Gospel of John Chapter 1,2,3, 17. etc.,Smiley Wink

Regular Visitor

There are two ways to rest your Cisco box. The first way is to pull the power cord and then plug it back up. This will not fully reset the box to factory settings.

To reset your Cisco box to factory specs, press in and hold power and select at the same time. Remove the power cable and then plug it back in (while holding power and select). 

The box will take up to 30 minutes to reboot and become fully operational either way you decide to reset it.