Community Forum

Can I transfer DVR HD recording to computer via firewire?

Frequent Visitor

Can I transfer DVR HD recording to computer via firewire?

I have a Comcast Cisco RNG-200 DVR with several old recordings on it (HD) that I don't want to lose. If I upgrade to X1 is there any way I can transfer those valued recordings to my computer via Firewire? I have refused to upgrade to X1 in the past because I have been told this transfer is not permitted. There must be some way to save those recordings.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Can I transfer DVR HD recording to computer via firewire?

I play DVR recordings onto my Mac all the time. You cannot transfer, you must play in real time. I use firewire, then use iMovie to manage and edit the recordings.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks Barbie, I have an iMac and a firewire cable. Can you give me some more instruction on how to import DVR recordings for iMovie editing and management? Thanks

Silver Problem Solver

You will need a device to convert the cablebox output to firewire. I use a Dazzle. There are many devices that can do it, search Amazon.

Frequent Visitor

My cable box (Cisco RNG-200) has a firewire connector. Why would I need a Dazzle?

Silver Problem Solver

If you have firewire output, you don't need a converter. Connect the firewire cable from the box to the iMac. Play a recording, launch iMovie. iMovie will find the playback, and you have many options from there.

I am assuming that Comcast has not disabled that output. If they have, you will need the converter.