Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Cablecard Fee

Regular Visitor

Cablecard Fee

We recently negociated our service for the year and were not offered any deals to keep our monthly bill at a reasonable rate. We agreed to return two digital adapters in order to lower the price. Our bill this month still included a digital adapter at a rate of $9.95. I called and asked what this charge was for. They told me it was for my cablecard which I've had for about eight years and never had to pay anywhere near that amount for it. This is all of my own equipment except for the cablecard. Is anyone else being charged $9.95 a month for the use of their card? Shouldn't we be grandfathered in for a card that is that old?

Official Employee

Re: Cablecard Fee

Hi marymarvin, thank you for reaching out.  I am showing you have a HD cable box  that is included in your current package and your cable card is a secondary box, so you are still charged for an additional outlet fee of $9.95 but receive a "customer owned equipment adjustment" in other charges and credits section.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you

Regular Visitor

I'm sorry for the late reply, but had given up on anyone answering my question. In looking at our bill, it does say that we have a customer owned equipment discount, but it is only $2.50. Is that what you were referring to? In addition to the problems with billing, I'm now not receiving any guide information on the premium channels. No data available is all I get for those channels. I wonder if the cablecard needs to be paired again? 

Official Employee

Hi marymarvin. I'm following up for Phil. That is the credit he was referring to. As for the missing guide info can you please send me a private message verifying the first and last name of the account holder, and the street address associated with your services. To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click private message me. 

New Poster

marymarvin,

I'm wondering how this was resolved. I am looking at getting a Tivo Bolt and using a Comcast cable card to get out of paying all of the equipment charges. Are they charging you a monthy fee for using your own equipment? I will still get the Tivo regardless but will completely cut the cable if that is what they are doing. Thanks.

Donald

New Poster

I am having the same issue. I am being charged for the use of a CableCARD; however, when I first purchased my Tivo I only had to pay 2.95 now I see the price is 9.95. 

New Poster

This happened to me too.  Comcast for years charged $1.50 for each of the cable cards in my two Tivos.  In May/Jun 2017 they started billing 9.95 x 2 as an "additional outlet fee includes cable card"  I called several times when the charges first appeared and the Comcast reps didn't know why i was charged and they reversed it and assured me it would not happen again.  I called twice and got the same response and got the charges credited back.  

I never got around to calling again until Jan 2018 as the charges kept appearing.  I talked to someone who seemed to know what she was talking about and said that Comcast had incorrectly been billing for the outlets associated with the cable card usage and that each outlet where there is an HD connection with either their equipment or customer owned equipment should be charged 9.95 as an additional outlet fee, regardless of what equipment is in place at that outlet.  

Comcast cleverly changed the billing terminology so they can get around whatever FCC mandates are out there that they can't charge excessively for customer owned equipment as my bill used to charge me 1.50 x 2 for my cable cards.  Comcast does allow a "generous" $2.50 credit for each Tivo.  So my bill went up about 15.00 as a result after the credit.  This change is not good news for Tivo owners as their cost for the Tivo's is now comparable to what Comcast charges or more depending on the plan.

Tags (2)
New Poster

I have a TIVO with a COMCAST povided Cable Card--  never a fee for it at all for about 2 years-

suddenly newest cable bill shows a fee of $.9.95...

Customer Helpline personnel checked and says I was lucky to be not charged for those months--

I said that when I checked with Comcast they reported that the cable card was listed as a FREE .. used in a customer owner device 

I checked on that when I purchased the TIVO-

even checked with TIVO before I made the purchase.

Some bills in the past listed the cable card and we called and it was removed

I also own my own modem ( paid for itself many times over these past years)

and the constantly try to slip that rental fee in too

SOMETHING is fishy at COMCAST billing -  #millions at stake!

West palm Beach,FL 

New Poster

Same thing here.  Starting in december my cablecard went from like $1.50 to $9.98.  I just got off the phone with comcast support.  They say that is the current price.  Clearly they are just trying to gouge peopel to get them to stop using Tivo.  I will dump them as soon as I can.

Frequent Visitor

Do you still have another tuning device (cable box) listed on your account under TV service? I had the same issue recently when I bought my cablecard device and returned my old DTAs; one of the DTAs was still set as the primary device on my account and wasn't automatically removed even though I had returned it to the store and had a receipt in my hand. When I called Comcast, the representative removed (from my account) the device that I had just returned. The cablecard device became the primary and only TV device on the account, and there is no fee (single cablecard).

As I understand it, the $9.95 fee is for having a secondary outlet/device, and I was being charged that amount for my cablecard device until all other devices were removed from the account.

New Poster

It is 5/24/18. I just spent a long time on the phone with an XFinity agent and they never mentioned anything about the Cablecard fee being for a second device. The only equipment I have from XFinity is 1 cablecard and explained that to her repeatedly. It goes into my TiVo also. I see the $2.50 credit on my bill for owning my own equipment, but the other fee is buried in my bundle.
New Poster

My Exact same issue that I have been dealing with. Almost scary how our situations are so similar. This was my message to them today.

received an email (again) today stating that action/ approval required for added equipment. I did not request this and this is now the 3rd time I have called to have this removed.